PDA

View Full Version : Full heals for life?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-06-20, 03:53 AM
Inspired by this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203682) recent thread, I thought, couldn't this be taken one step further? Looking at the SRD I found the rules for magic traps. One of the triggers for said magic traps was an alarm spell that says that when the selected point is touched the trap goes off. I then remembered reading in Book of Vile Darkness that weapons and armor can be trapped. With these two sets of information I was wondering, would trapping a Gnome Quickrazor with a automatic resetting trap of cure minor wounds and setting the activation point as the handle allow for unlimited healing in combat? Because if it is possible than it is a full heal every turn that can be obtained at level 3.

Halae
2011-06-20, 04:21 AM
... Well done. We have found a way to make damage obsolete, assuming the blow that hits you doesn't insta-gib you.

Deth Muncher
2011-06-20, 04:23 AM
If you managed to do that, I'd find some way to boost your Fort saves, since I suddenly feel like there will be a lot of Save or Dies coming your way. Likewise, best make that an Adamantine quickrazor so it can't be sundered, and find the strongest caster to cast it so it's nigh-impossible to dispel.

Eldan
2011-06-20, 04:24 AM
... Well done. We have found a way to make damage obsolete, assuming the blow that hits you doesn't insta-gib you.

Therefore, you should combine it with Frenzied Berserker.

Yes, Frenzied Berserkers with light weapons. You heard me.

Edit: Also, screw Adamantine. Make it from that self-repairing metal from BoED. Aurorium? Something like that.

Halae
2011-06-20, 04:32 AM
and find the strongest caster to cast it so it's nigh-impossible to dispel.

Well, time to talk to the Red Wizards. I hear caster level shenanigans have been skyrocketing them towards a Caster Level of 300, recently

Elana
2011-06-20, 12:04 PM
Ignoring that even RAW says that DMs should enforce a reasonable limit to free actions.

Is letting go of the handle a free action?
After all drawing and sheating isn't doing you any good if you are constantly touching the weapon

Ravens_cry
2011-06-20, 12:14 PM
If you managed to do that, I'd find some way to boost your Fort saves, since I suddenly feel like there will be a lot of Save or Dies coming your way. Likewise, best make that an Adamantine quickrazor so it can't be sundered, and find the strongest caster to cast it so it's nigh-impossible to dispel.
There is no save verses Thrown DMG.:smallamused:

CTrees
2011-06-20, 12:34 PM

Well, it *would* be a ranged attack with an improvised throwing weapon...

Try not to be flat footed :smallwink:

HappyBlanket
2011-06-20, 12:38 PM
Well, it *would* be a ranged attack with an improvised throwing weapon...

Try not to be flat footed :smallwink:

It's not improvised; it's an Exotic Weapon that DMs get proficiency with as a class feature.

Talya
2011-06-20, 12:45 PM

Ah, this is truly a powerful axiom to remember during character optimization.

Elana
2011-06-20, 02:51 PM
Strange, i thought for this affront you would be forced to eat "Races of Stone"

Also I would never throw the DMG.
2 reasons
1) contrary to popular belief you get a reflex save to avoid damage
2) The book is too light (and so doesn't hurt enough)
5) It could get damaged

Eldariel
2011-06-20, 02:54 PM
Inspired by this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203682) recent thread, I thought, couldn't this be taken one step further? Looking at the SRD I found the rules for magic traps. One of the triggers for said magic traps was an alarm spell that says that when the selected point is touched the trap goes off. I then remembered reading in Book of Vile Darkness that weapons and armor can be trapped. With these two sets of information I was wondering, would trapping a Gnome Quickrazor with a automatic resetting trap of cure minor wounds and setting the activation point as the handle allow for unlimited healing in combat? Because if it is possible than it is a full heal every turn that can be obtained at level 3.

Congratulations, you have come up with one of the fundamental pillars behind the Tippyverse - resetting traps of utility spells.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-20, 02:58 PM

2 reasons
5) It could get damaged

Wait, what? What a lovely...

...ummm...

...torture method you have there.

And bizzare maths.

Typewriter
2011-06-20, 03:02 PM

Keep in mind that a trapped ring is not a magic ring for the purposes of item slots - it's a trap - and there is no limit to the number of traps you can be affected by.

In other words, why trap your equipment when you can trap 3 rings per finger?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-06-20, 08:23 PM
Keep in mind that a trapped ring is not a magic ring for the purposes of item slots - it's a trap - and there is no limit to the number of traps you can be affected by.

You sir or madam are delightfully evil. :smallamused:

ericgrau
2011-06-20, 08:28 PM
I'd keep a stack of 3.0 DMGs on reserve. They look the same to the unwary player who is more worried about dodging it than examining the edition and they're a lot cheaper. Plus since you can afford a stack of them you're ready for multiple problem players.

Timeless Error
2011-06-20, 08:31 PM
Wow...

*Watches as Ryu is swarmed by a horde of rabid Fiendish Dire Dungeon Masters*

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-06-20, 09:12 PM
Wow...

*Watches as Ryu is swarmed by a horde of rabid Fiendish Dire Dungeon Masters*

It isn't that bad. Once you exit the realms of their world and re-enter reality they tend to be one trick ponies and with enough experience books are easy to dodge.

TurtleKing
2011-06-20, 11:34 PM
I just thought of the most evil thing a Truenamer could do in a Tippyverse. If high enough just start reversed Spell Rebirth until you can't for the day. Rinse and repeat as needed. The utterance Spell Rebirth reversed will dispel regardless of the CL.

Divide by Zero
2011-06-20, 11:51 PM
I just thought of the most evil thing a Truenamer could do in a Tippyverse. If high enough just start reversed Spell Rebirth until you can't for the day. Rinse and repeat as needed. The utterance Spell Rebirth reversed will dispel regardless of the CL.

But it specifically only affects spells. Most of the Tippyverse runs on permanent magic items, and even a permissive reading of the utterance would only let you temporarily suppress them. You'd be a temporary annoyance at best.

TurtleKing
2011-06-21, 01:42 AM
..........Crap.

CTrees
2011-06-21, 06:50 AM

Go for "trapped" necklaces, instead. Two words: Mr. T

Jack_Simth
2011-06-21, 07:08 AM

2 reasons
5) It could get damaged
Get a printed copy of FATAL for the purpose. Deals with 2 (much heavier) and 5 (nobody actually plays FATAL per RAW anyway)

While not permanent, it's still does the job of disturbing the economy by gathering gold in the hands of a single person (the wizard) while letting no consumable goods in the hands of anyone.

Density of iron = 7870 kg/m³ = 490 pounds per cubic foot
1 pound of iron = 1 sp
Hence 4.900 sp per casting at CL 10.
490 gp

You make in a few hours of bargaining enough money to have a small horde of servants at your side for the next 3 months.
Meanwhile, a few Blacksmiths are bashing their heads against the wall, screaming "-Not Again !!".
Two things:
1) If this has happened to a person once, they'll be finding ways to keep it from happening again (like, say, hiring an Adept, Cleric, or Wizard from a reputable store to Detect Magic or even Spellcraft any large materials purchase).
2) You do NOT want to go that route. Seriously, no. You do not want to get into a game with the DM wherein anyone who can cast Magic Aura and/or Secret Page can sell you scrolls to add to your spellbook and magic items... neither of which work.

Diarmuid
2011-06-21, 12:40 PM
This would not work with the quickrazors because sheathing it is only listed as a free action after making an attack with it.

Sniff test, failed.

Metahuman1
2011-06-21, 12:58 PM
Couldn't a character using IaiJutsu Focus go ahead and use it to do there full attack, thus setting off the trap every time they attack, recheath, and attack agian?

Hmmmmm.

Apprentice Feat form DMG II,

EWP: Gnome Quick Razor.

Weapons Finesse.

Insightful Strike.

Lvl 2: Skill Focus Iaijutsu Focus.

Lvl 3: TWF

Lvl 4: Combat Reflexes.

Lvl 6: ITWF

1 Lvl Dip into Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian.

And when you qualify, Robilars Gambit and Greater TWF. Then, just grab a skill class and Sup up your knowledge Skills and take Knowledge Devotion.

Add the trick with the trap.

Ok, I suddenly want to play this build. This is Scary, Evil, Awesome Sauce good! :smallbiggrin:

ubergeek63
2011-06-21, 01:01 PM
This would not work with the quickrazors because sheathing it is only listed as a free action after making an attack with it.

Sniff test, failed.

ever hear of shadow boxing?

Diarmuid
2011-06-21, 01:03 PM
You would still be limited by the number of attacks you could make in a round. As there are no rules for "shadow boxing", we are limited to what is written in the books.

Yes, given enough rounds you could use the GQR to fill your HP up, but it would not be a "full heal every round" as the OP was trying to represent.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-21, 04:44 PM

Sniff test, failed.

A few options:
1) Trap a Spell Components Pouch. It's a free action to draw material components.
2) Trap a quiver. Again: Free action to draw an arrow.

Yorae
2011-06-21, 04:46 PM
Get a printed copy of FATAL for the purpose. Deals with 2 (much heavier) and 5 (nobody actually plays FATAL per RAW anyway)

Problem with that:

It requires you to actually own / have physically touched anything from FATAL. Urgent medical attention would be required to both parties and the injuries escalate from simple blunt force injury up to severe nausea and psychiatric trauma.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-21, 05:16 PM
Problem with that:

It requires you to actually own / have physically touched anything from FATAL. Urgent medical attention would be required to both parties and the injuries escalate from simple blunt force injury up to severe nausea and psychiatric trauma.
That's what gloves are for. Just make sure to use nice, heavy gloves, rated for gardeners when using insecticides.

Halae
2011-06-21, 07:46 PM
That's what gloves are for. Just make sure to use nice, heavy gloves, rated for gardeners when using insecticides.

I tried making a character once from that system, to try and give it a review. I despaired and burned the book about half-way through. (The guy I got it from was going to trash it anyways, so nobody got upset)

Anyways, on topic, yes, by RAW, a spell component pouch works. Trap it with the cheapest spell you can find (Cure minor works), and since you can just keep reaching into your spell component pouch, you never run out of free heals.

Alternatively, Take a greatsword, and enchant the trap to go off when someone grabs the handle. letting go of a two-hander, as well as grabbing it again, are both free actions

Metahuman1
2011-06-28, 12:42 PM
Ok, big question. How much does a resetting spell trap cost?

I have a DM that's gonna let me try this trick with a Two-handed weapon, and I have 2,000 GP I can throw at it to get a cure light or even cure Moderate wounds for my Warblade and his Katana.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-06-28, 01:15 PM
To creat this kind of trap you need Craft Wonderious Item feat and you or someone else you hired (or is in the party) needs to also have the spell(s) you require to craft the trap.

Automatic Reset Trap:
Each spell used in trap: + (500 gp × caster level × spell level) + (40 XP × caster level × spell level)
Material components: + (Cost of all material components × 100 gp)
XP components: + (Total of XP components × 500 gp)

As with most everything 0 level spells count as 1/2 when determining spell level.

Traps take 1 day/500 gp to create.

(SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm))

Elana
2011-06-28, 02:42 PM
Wait, what? What a lovely...

...ummm...

...torture method you have there.

And bizzare maths.

What is bizarre about my math?

I was the best student of my math teacher.

So he was a green slaad, I'm not a speciest. I'm willing to learn from anyone.
(Well, maybe not from a baatezu, but that is because they are always so tense)

Person_Man
2011-06-28, 03:04 PM
I'd keep a stack of 3.0 DMGs on reserve. They look the same to the unwary player who is more worried about dodging it than examining the edition and they're a lot cheaper. Plus since you can afford a stack of them you're ready for multiple problem players.

Great, not I want to build an NPC Master Thrower/Bloodstorm Blade that throws 3.0 DMGs at players with broken builds and never misses. I wonder if the metaphor will be obvious enough for the PCs to understand, or if I should also grant him the ability to make rocks fall that make everyone die without a Save.

Metahuman1
2011-07-04, 07:15 PM
Ok, Game with the Warblade is starting soon, so were gonna find out just how well this works.

Also, I had another though, Would this idea work with other beneficial spells? If you had the money could you put, say, Haste or Shield or Truestrike into traps? Make it so Casters don't need to drop the same dozen or so Buffs on a Melee or Archery character?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-04, 08:43 PM
Indeed it would work. So you could put as many buffs as you needed on one gnome quickrazor and activate them as a free action. But it would cost you an arm and both legs, unless you were an artificer, then just one leg.

Metahuman1
2011-07-04, 08:57 PM
And this sort of thing, lady's and gentlemen, is why Artificer is Teir 1!

Though I gotta say this is the most brilliant RAW trick I've ever seen. I'm SOOOO gonna be going to town with this in some future games. :smallamused:

WitchSlayer
2011-07-05, 02:26 AM
I tried making a character once from that system, to try and give it a review. I despaired and burned the book about half-way through. (The guy I got it from was going to trash it anyways, so nobody got upset)

Anyways, on topic, yes, by RAW, a spell component pouch works. Trap it with the cheapest spell you can find (Cure minor works), and since you can just keep reaching into your spell component pouch, you never run out of free heals.

Alternatively, Take a greatsword, and enchant the trap to go off when someone grabs the handle. letting go of a two-hander, as well as grabbing it again, are both free actions

Got FATAL problems? I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a fatal char ain't one.

Because I have the FATAL character builder
:smalleek:

ubergeek63
2011-07-05, 05:43 AM
And this sort of thing, lady's and gentlemen, is why Artificer is Teir 1!

Though I gotta say this is the most brilliant RAW trick I've ever seen. I'm SOOOO gonna be going to town with this in some future games. :smallamused:

So what you are saying then is that the teir system should be called the "DM cheese control factor"! :smallbiggrin: The higher the number the less cheese.

Over on dandwiki there is a despicably underpowered home brew caster class called "Cantripologist". As written thuamaturge could add 2 caster lvls per lvl since the class casts 2 lvl cleric "spells" AND 2nd lvl arcane "spells" at 3rd lvl.

At cantripologist 3/ theurge 9 the class says he is at caster lvl 21 wielding a lvl 10 eq "spell" for a max of 20D3 damage - that is some SEVERE gorgonzola for a completely underpowered character ( at 12th lvl a sorcerer would be wielding lvl 6 spells and prefering a lvl 5 at 12D6 )

more on topic would be this bit of cheese with him: cant 3/ theurge 3/ singer of concordance 6: caster level 15 capable of healing 14D8+8 per round!

Boci
2011-07-05, 10:01 AM

And the poor soul you are throwing the book at?

Necroticplague
2011-07-05, 01:01 PM
I once thought of a trick like this, only it used two traps, and a butterfly knife. Each trap is on the opposite end of each handle. Spin it around, get bull's strength and true strike. Although, this gives me an idea. Is there a limit to the level of a spell that can be placed on a trap/turret/clock? If not, I just had an idea involving apocalypse from the sky and a quickrazor. Would cost several metropolises worth of limbs (or souls, to mitigate xp cost), but if your powerful enough to make it, and evil enough to want to, that's not a problem .

Metahuman1
2011-07-05, 01:02 PM
Will Hopefully have been smart enough to get Evasion, bring portable cover (I hear them shield things works really well in real life land.), or will certainly learn to never do what ever provoked the throwing around you again.

excruciarch
2011-07-05, 02:00 PM
Your gnome will be very busy jerking his weapon off to heal FB's hypothetical damage for example (if you are not killed outright, and you will be). And most DMs allow 2 to 3 free actions per round. Real shame, ain't it?

Metahuman1
2011-07-05, 02:09 PM
My answer too that is "It's a free action that's part of the attack action. I can't use the quick razor with out hitting the button twice per attack roll. And the button is what triggers the trap."

Or for my two-handed weapon, which I'm gonna be play testing soon as that games DM starts,

"As part of the attack action, I let go with one hand after the swing to help me adjust myself to stay on half guard while not being too timid."

And you know, get a strong enough healing spell in there, and this would be A-freaking-mazing too use with Robilars Gambit.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-05, 07:27 PM
And the poor soul you are throwing the book at?
Well, it is a Zebra Solution. Just like nukes, properly handled, it'll be the responsible for a very long period of relative peace.