PDA

View Full Version : Filling a Book from Scratch

Graha013
2011-06-20, 10:25 AM
Have a general question in regards to starting any caster class that 'knows' specific spells out of a list or has a spellbook to fill. How do most DM's deal with spell allotment and choices?

I just made a CL 15 Wizard for a back up character in our 'higher levels' campaign. I found it kind of cheesy that, as I was filling up the spellbook with spells, that as I progressed to the next spell class level, I would find a better version of a spell, go back and clear out one that I had known that basically was a 'wasted page'. Example of this was Invisibility and Greater Invisibility.

Is the assumption generally that any choices made now would have been done in (lost years) of character progression, lvls 1-14, and everything is fair game? Do DMs (in a very general sense) expect such optimization, or do they want a level by level break down ( I learned these, I replaced these, etc). I know equipment building is generally thought along the lines of (based on the cash-based-on-character-level diagram) that they've accumulated this wealth/equipment and therefore it's a clean slate. But spells and knowledge?

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-20, 10:30 AM
Technically, you can have multiple different spellbooks over your character's career. It's not really out of line to say that you made a new one when you reached level 12+ and don't waste pages on irrelevant spells anymore. Also, you don't necessarily have to take Invisibility before getting the improved version.

Quick note: check the durations on Invisibility and Greater Invisibility. The "greater" version lasts a much shorter time, so there is a reason to keep the original spell around for a while.