PDA

View Full Version : Vulcans! (Elf substitution levels, PEACH)

LOTRfan
2011-06-20, 12:51 PM
What can I say? Vulcans are basically Elves (IN SPACE!!!) anyway. :smallwink:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i3gzjmAsKuw/TOgG4-51a0I/AAAAAAAAAGU/OHCXOBs2RNo/s1600/Wolverine+versus+Spock+Star+Trek+X-Men.jpg

Elf Monk
Elven monks are rare, as their chaotic nature contradicts the order required to be a monk. It is said that emotion runs deeper in Elves than it does in Humans, and as a result some Elvish monasteries require their monks to suppress their emotions. These monks focus of the ideal that through logic, they can find emotional equilibrium within themselves, and thus find enlightenment. These Elven monks attempt to achieve this enlightenment through a series of techniques, both psionic and martial in nature.

Hit Dice: d10

Requirements
To qualify for these racial substitution levels, a character must be an Elf taking his 2nd, 5th, or 6th level in the monk class.

Class Skills: Elf monks have the same skill list as basic monks. They have a number of skill points equal to (6 + INT modifier).

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Flurry of Blows | Unarmed Strike | AC Bonus | Unarmed Speed Bonus
2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Mind Meld, Evasion | -1/-1 | 1d6 | +0 | +0 ft.
5 | +3 | +4 | +4 | +4 | Logical Mind | +2/+2 | 1d8 | +1 | +10 ft.
6 | +4 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Tal-Shaya, Slow Fall 30 ft. | +3/+3 | 1d8 | +1 | +20 ft.[/table]

Monk Abilities: Upon taking one of these substitution levels, all Wisdom-based Monk abilities become Intelligence-based instead.

Mind Meld (Psi): Starting at 2nd level, once per day, a monk may read the mind of a willing or unconscious target by placing their hand on the target’s face. By concentrating as a full round action, the Elf may ask the creature’s inner subconscious three questions, which are always answered truthfully and in the most detailed way the target is capable of answering. The questions must be ones that the target can answer. This ability works on all creatures with an Intelligence score of at least 1; mindless creatures are immune to it. Willing targets do not get a Will save, but unconscious creatures can make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ character level + Int modifier) to avoid having to answer the questions. This replaces the 2nd level bonus feat.

Logical Mind (Su): At 5th level, the Elf monk has learned to suppress their emotions to an extreme. They are constantly treated as though under a permanent form of mind blank. This ability replaces the Purity of Body class feature.

Tal-Shaya (Ex): Once per encounter, an Elf can perform a devastating nerve pinch against a foe within one size category of itself (small, medium, or large for the average elf). In order for this attack to be effective, the target creature must have a visible neck and cannot be immune to critical hits. This attack is a standard action melee touch attack. If it succeeds, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ character level + Int modifier), or be knocked unconscious for 1d10 minutes. This ability replaces the monk bonus feat.

LOTRfan
2011-06-20, 12:53 PM
Reserved for Lirpa and Ahn-woon.

Blynkibrax
2011-06-20, 01:44 PM
I'm not a Trekkie, by any stretch of the imagination, but I like what you've done, here.

LOTRfan
2011-06-20, 07:26 PM
Ultimately, I have decided not to stat out the Vulcan weapons, because they haven't really had the screen time necessary to determine their exact combat capabilities.

Admiral Squish
2011-06-20, 07:29 PM
I believe you should make it so the monk abilities become based off intelligence, rather than wisdom. It is simply more logical.

LOTRfan
2011-06-20, 07:31 PM
I've always equated logic with common sense, which would be under Wisdom's domain, no? Still, you are probably right, so I'll put that in now.

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-21, 04:20 AM
Have you ever heard of the Anaxi? They are a dragon magazine planetouched race of law.

I always considered Spok an Anaxi Monk.

nonsi
2011-06-21, 06:51 AM
Have you ever heard of the Anaxi? They are a dragon magazine planetouched race of law.

I always considered Spok an Anaxi Monk.

Do you happen to remember the magazine number and page ?

averagejoe
2011-06-21, 12:21 PM
I've always equated logic with common sense, which would be under Wisdom's domain, no? Still, you are probably right, so I'll put that in now.

You are perhaps confusing two different concepts which are both given the label, "Logic." Often when people say, "That seems logical," they mean, "That seems like a good idea." The Star Trek vulcans actually fall prey to this with some frequency, but I chalk that up to the writers being illogical people.

Logic in the way vulcan's are meant to use it, however, is a sort of formalized thinking process. That's kind of the core of the whole logic/emotion dichotomy (something else people frequently misunderstand), that to be logical it's not enough to say, "This seems right," or, as you put it, to use common sense. Logic requires the conscious examination of the principles, processes, and ideas that lead you to any given conclusion.

LOTRfan
2011-06-22, 08:39 AM
Alright. Any other problems with it?