PDA

View Full Version : Durzo Blint, you damned fool.

SharkVersusKoda
2011-06-20, 03:08 PM
I've been doing some searching around on the forums and have yet to find what im looking for.

This thread is for anyone who has read the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks(and if you haven't, do it....do it now). After re-reading the trilogy for the 4th time I've become interested in creating the Ka'kari artifacts for a 3.5 game I'm curerntly in, haven't seen anything like them on the forums so if I'm missing it could I get a link please? and if they have never been mentioned on here yet, let's create them?

DracoDei
2011-06-21, 12:26 AM
Google says nope, nothing with the word ka'kari in it it seems. Some variants, but nothing that looks relevant.

I might help you make it, if I knew anything about it but I don't, so the best you could hope for from me would be the usual amount of PEACH I might give any other project.

Nopraptor
2011-06-21, 11:43 AM
I dont know how possible that would be... the Ka'karis are super powerful items that give abilities which are equilevant to several class levels, they would be super over powered... also I dont think all of them are described in full only the black and the white one are (right? its been a while sense I last laid my hands on them... so how are we to know what the ones not described do?

ragingrage
2011-06-21, 11:49 AM
Yeah, they'd have to be epic-level artifacts. Or maybe, make it something similar to weapons of destiny? Where as you level up, the ka'kari get's stronger?

Arathnos
2011-06-21, 12:41 PM
The ka'kari are epic level artifacts, that is the point. They are the stuff of legends. And the general idea of the powers granted by the others are given. I made them for one of my games a while back, I'll hunt through my notes and try to find them for you.

ErrantX
2011-06-21, 09:47 PM
I dont know how possible that would be... the Ka'karis are super powerful items that give abilities which are equilevant to several class levels, they would be super over powered... also I dont think all of them are described in full only the black and the white one are (right? its been a while sense I last laid my hands on them... so how are we to know what the ones not described do?

Agreed here. The Black and White were more or less fully described and such, but the basic abilities of the others were described.

-X

SharkVersusKoda
2011-06-22, 03:44 PM
well i was thinking just like weapons of legacy, as in they level up as you level up(seeing as how that feels like it basically worked with Kylar/Azoth, you know he had to learn everything[or at least what he knows] the Ka'kari can do it isnt just all available from the beginning) and I was assuming for the other colors that we could draw off of how certain aspects of the world are affected by them, such as the huge torrent(cannot remember the name right now) in the ocean is caused by the blue ka'kari, and the volcano was caused by the red ka'kari, the brown one was saught after by the Makers(who were basically magic users that revered crafting golems and buildings out of the stone and earth) and such. i mean, is this going to be an overwhelming project or do you think we can do it playgrounders?

SharkVersusKoda
2011-06-22, 03:53 PM
also, 2 other things i was pondering, since The Wolf is such an Enigma, would the Black Ka'kari even be an item that PC's should be allowed to have?(just wondering on opinions here) and also, being that the Ka'kari are such powerful artifacts with amazing potential, was thinking that characters in question would HAVE to dedicate parts of their leveling to the ka'kari, such as feats(i.e. Ka'karifer - must be taken at first level, allows the bonding of Ka'kari. Special: must be taken as the first level feat, cannot not be taken as a bonus feat granted by race, flaw, etc.....and then doing this for 6th level[as well as requiring a quest/mission/sacrifice of exp] to gain more benefits from the ka'kari etc etc etc.)

thoughts?

DracoDei
2011-06-22, 07:35 PM
Is the "can't be a bonus feat" thing just supposed to keep someone from taking it twice?

SharkVersusKoda
2011-06-22, 08:52 PM
well, that is to say, restrict someone like a (bad representative) fighter to using only his feats gained by levels for the Ka'kari feats, rather than bonus feats and whatnot, but also yes, only can be taken once and will only bond to one Ka'kari should definitely be included.

DracoDei
2011-06-22, 10:59 PM
well, that is to say, restrict someone like a (bad representative) fighter to using only his feats gained by levels for the Ka'kari feats, rather than bonus feats and whatnot, but also yes, only can be taken once and will only bond to one Ka'kari should definitely be included.

Ok, so a CHAIN of feats, and only the first one has to be taken at first level.

Nopraptor
2011-06-23, 04:23 AM
they would also have to be intellegent items, the black talks to Kylar many times...

I thought that the Ka'karis were hidden inside those things, not that they made them... maybe both?

raxies94
2011-06-24, 09:50 PM
Well, in the books the ka'kari were used to enable Kylar to use his talent, right? Seems like the ka'kari would have to grant some sort of ability to access magic, maybe the equivalent of several levels in a spellcasting class. Maybe sorcerer? I don't know. This is an interesting one to try and transpose to d20, mainly because the magic system is so different.

Divayth Fyr
2011-06-25, 09:42 AM
I thought that the Ka'karis were hidden inside those things, not that they made them... maybe both?

It would seem that they are responsible for their continued existance - Durzo said at some point that Kylar shouldn't worry about the other ka'kari unless the torrent disappeared or the volcano went dormant...

SharkVersusKoda
2011-06-26, 02:30 PM
yes they were hidden in them, and they also sustain those phenomenon, they are very very powerful items. also sorry for my absence, family problems.

so is this a project we can get behind? i personally dont have the required time or creativity to do them all on my own.

SharkVersusKoda
2011-06-28, 09:25 PM
bump to say im willing to cooperate through emails/pms with anyone who is interested in this idea, its something I would really like to (help) create and share with the Playground.

SharkVersusKoda
2011-06-29, 12:09 PM
also, shameless bump to say page 140 of the first book slightly describes the 5 Ka'kari that we basically dont see in use as readers. It gives good starting points for each one. (Red, Blue, Green, White, and Silver)

Shaderage
2011-12-06, 01:20 AM
Working on this.

Vixsor Lumin
2011-12-06, 02:26 AM
Ok I have very little experience at homebrew but I think I can help out with flavor havign read the trilogy like 19 times xD

DeusMortuusEst
2011-12-06, 02:56 AM
The black ka'kari would perhaps look something like this:

The black ka'kari. The Devourer and Sustainer.
Major Artifact

The black ka'kari appears as a small drop of some unknown black substance that seems to absorb light and feels metallic to the touch. The ka'kari is a highly intelligent artifact that chooses its wielder, no known power can force it to work with someone who it deems unworthy. When the ka'kari binds itself to a someone is seems to seep into the skin of the wielder and cannot be removed by anyone against the wielder's will.

Powers
The wielder can use Improved invisibility (CL 20) at will as a standard action.
The ka'kari absorbs spells of 9th level or lower, up to a maximum of 20 spell levels each day.
Wielder gains Darkvision out to 60 ft. This works in magical darkness created by spells or effects up to 9th level.
Wielder no longer ages.
Grants fast healing 5
If the wielder dies she is brought back one day and night later, as if True Ressurection had been cast. Each time this ability is used one of the wielder's close friends/family dies either immediately or in the near future. The wielder cannot choose not to get resurrected, as long as the ka'kari is bound it will bring back the wielder.

Well, certainly not perfect, but it's a start at least...

DracoDei
2011-12-12, 01:38 AM
PROBABLY needs to have a provision for dropping the spell absorption so you can get buffs and still have the 20 levels for use against hostile spells. Unless it works like the rod, where you have to use a readied action, but that really makes it not so useful.