PDA

View Full Version : Thought Experiment-Druids.

ScrambledBrains
2011-06-20, 05:06 PM
Ok, I'm trying to create(as a thought experiment) a Druid who is capable of being in wildshape 24/7 AND who can shift from one wildshape to another without having to go back to their normal race. My first question is if this second quality is already allowed inherently with the initial Druid set-up(as I haven't been able to find anything to the contrary). My second question, if the second quality is not allowed inherently, are their any ACF's or magic items that would allow it? Thanks in advance my fellow forumites!! :smallsmile:

Assume all books allowed.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-06-20, 05:11 PM
It doesn't say anywhere that you have to be in your original form to use Wild Shape. Thus you do not have to dismiss a previous form to take a new one. You could even, for example, take the form of a bird, and then take the form of a wolf; get into a fight in the wolf form, and when forced to flee dismiss it to revert back to the bird form provided its duration has not yet expired.

There's also Warshaper in CW, which at the 5th level allows you to switch between forms as often as you want within the duration of a single use of Wild Shape.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-20, 05:12 PM
Warshaper lets you continue to change forms with the same wildshape ability. It's called Multimorph, and it's the capstone ability on the 5 level PrC.

It's one of the reasons Druid5/MoMF10/Warshaper5 exists.

Eldariel
2011-06-20, 05:12 PM
Ok, I'm trying to create(as a thought experiment) a Druid who is capable of being in wildshape 24/7 AND who can shift from one wildshape to another without having to go back to their normal race. My first question is if this second quality is already allowed inherently with the initial Druid set-up(as I haven't been able to find anything to the contrary). My second question, if the second quality is not allowed inherently, are their any ACF's or magic items that would allow it? Thanks in advance my fellow forumites!! :smallsmile:

Assume all books allowed.

You can do both, just limited by Wildshape uses and duration. Since Wildshape is hours/level and the amount of uses scales rather quickly from level 5, you should achieve this to a reasonable degree around level 11-12. There's also Extra Wildshape-feat which allows bruteforcing this by allowing for more Wildshape. Master of Many Forms does this but at the cost of 10 class levels, which of course isn't Druid and loses casting + AC.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Then, yeah, Warshaper.

ScrambledBrains
2011-06-20, 05:20 PM
Ok, so what I'm gathering here is that it is inherently available. Nice. :smallbiggrin: Well, that solves one thought experiment. :smallsmile:

Edit: Now, we just need to paint a human Druid green.... :biggrin:

Runestar
2011-06-20, 07:18 PM
At 8th lv, a druid can wildshape 3/day and each use lasts for 8 hours, so he would already be staying in animal form 24/7. :smallbiggrin:

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 07:38 PM
Warshaper lets you continue to change forms with the same wildshape ability. It's called Multimorph, and it's the capstone ability on the 5 level PrC.

It's one of the reasons Druid5/MoMF10/Warshaper5 exists.

Yea I love that ability. That and the other warshaper stuff.

ScrambledBrains
2011-06-20, 09:33 PM
At 8th lv, a druid can wildshape 3/day and each use lasts for 8 hours, so he would already be staying in animal form 24/7. :smallbiggrin:

...I'm kinda ashamed at myself that I didn't simply calculate this one out earlier. :smallsigh:

NecroRick
2011-06-20, 11:04 PM
Edit: Now, we just need to paint a human Druid green.... :biggrin:

You could take the pseudo-Fey race Kiloren (insert extra ls and vowels as appropriate). They're very green (in more ways than one, including the obvious one).

Runestar
2011-06-20, 11:05 PM
Alternatively, the shapeshift variant in PHB2 lets druids wildshape from as early as 1st lv, and there is no limit to how often you can use this. Though the forms kinda suck.

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 11:13 PM
I really like that ACF though I do tend to add some additional things to the forms like breathing underwater and the like (new movement speeds and more) just to add some utility.

Divide by Zero
2011-06-20, 11:45 PM
Alternatively, the shapeshift variant in PHB2 lets druids wildshape from as early as 1st lv, and there is no limit to how often you can use this. Though the forms kinda suck.

I wouldn't say that they suck, necessarily. It's just that normal wild shape (and polymorph effects in general) is so ridiculously powerful that it seems weak in comparison.

ScrambledBrains
2011-06-21, 12:14 AM
Quick, non-related to the thread question. If I were to make a thread to optimize a homebrew class(not of my own creation), would it be allowed, or is there a forum rule against that?

(Yes, I am new here. If this is common knowledge, forgive my ignorance. :smallbiggrin: )

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-21, 12:33 AM
Quick, non-related to the thread question. If I were to make a thread to optimize a homebrew class(not of my own creation), would it be allowed, or is there a forum rule against that?

(Yes, I am new here. If this is common knowledge, forgive my ignorance. :smallbiggrin: )

Depends on the DM, really. I mean, some DMs here will go Core 3 only. While others are more broad (and vague), such as "All WotC books go, Dragon Magazine is case by case only. Homebrew send me a link and I'll see."

At a RL table, well, again, depends on your DM. :smalltongue:

ScrambledBrains
2011-06-21, 12:38 AM
Depends on the DM, really. I mean, some DMs here will go Core 3 only. While others are more broad (and vague), such as "All WotC books go, Dragon Magazine is case by case only. Homebrew send me a link and I'll see."

At a RL table, well, again, depends on your DM. :smalltongue:

Oh, no; What I meant was, if I were to post a thread and ask fellow forumites for their aid in some optimization of a homebrew class, would that be legal or would I get an infraction for it?

(My DM already allows the homebrew I wanna use. :smallamused: )

MeeposFire
2011-06-21, 01:37 AM
Oh, no; What I meant was, if I were to post a thread and ask fellow forumites for their aid in some optimization of a homebrew class, would that be legal or would I get an infraction for it?

(My DM already allows the homebrew I wanna use. :smallamused: )

I don't think there is any rule about it (we discuss homebrew all the time) but you won't get as much help as a RAW question.

Divide by Zero
2011-06-21, 02:57 AM

I see people using homebrew classes in their builds on threads here all the time. Shouldn't be a problem.