PDA

View Full Version : full night's rest

hivedragon
2011-06-20, 07:17 PM
In my next game a full night's rest is enough to refill your HP completely. I don't care if it's "too much like a video game." Also the dice be a cruel mistress, I don't like having players roll for a permanent stat. Each level gained players gain the maximum hit points rolling them would allow; wizards gain 4 per level, barbarians gain 12 per level. Also I am considering giving out 10 extra hit points to make those starting levels less squishy.

I am wondering if I should modify the potency of healing spells/items to adjust for the ease of healing, how about double the amount of hit points healed by each cure wounds spell? moar/less?

Arbane
2011-06-20, 07:35 PM
The only big problem I can see with this is that if enemies don't get a similar boost, you'll need a few more per fight. And if they do, fights will run longer.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-20, 09:06 PM
Wait, are you asking for opinions on the Full Night's Rest too? Or do you not care?

As for hit dice; a common ruling I see is max HP at level 1, and average every level afterwards... And I also see some aversion to starting out at level 1, because of the squishiness. See if you can start at level 3 instead.

But if you're new players, do level 1 anyway.

137beth
2011-06-20, 09:16 PM
Yes, many monsters are build with the assumption that they got average results on all of their HD. No need to modify the potency of healing spells (actually, you may need to anyways because they are really weak), or to adjust the power of most monsters.

hivedragon
2011-06-20, 09:21 PM
Wait, are you asking for opinions on the Full Night's Rest too? Or do you not care?

I do care about people's opinions, just not ones like "it's just like a video game."

Right now I think one night of rest healing everything is too much, though 1 per level is too little. right now I think healing 3 points per level (healing check to double) is the right amount.

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 09:24 PM
Honestly outside of it possibly bothering you or somebody else playing you would not in any meaningful way unbalance the game by fully healing on a rest. In fact you make yourself slightly less dependent on healing stuff which is a good thing in my opinion.

Zonugal
2011-06-20, 09:24 PM

As for hit dice; a common ruling I see is max HP at level 1, and average every level afterwards... And I also see some aversion to starting out at level 1, because of the squishiness. See if you can start at level 3 instead.

But if you're new players, do level 1 anyway.

Yes... I love level three as the starting gate, it is just so perfect...

myancey
2011-06-20, 09:27 PM
I would say that this ruling should depend on how you deal with time in your campaign. If you want a speedy campaign--perhaps a never-ending dungeon crawl, then full healing per night wouldn't be a big issue.

But it can be a useful element if you're taking things more slowly--the players are forced to spend time in a town healing after an adventure (or they can pay money to expedite the process).

As for maxing out HP--a great boon to the players that takes the low-level fear of a lucky arrow taking your throat out. Likely, it'll make the players more brash and adventurous earlier on.

As for DMing, it will allow you to throw slightly higher CRs at them--a boon to you if you have trouble scaling encounters.

Rhaegar14
2011-06-20, 09:30 PM
The thing on full night's rest being a full heal is the polymorph description; "you regain hit points as if you had taken a full night's rest" or something to that extent.

This means that polymorph and wild shape are suddenly full heals.

So just make sure that your players realize that this instance is an exception to the houserule.

myancey
2011-06-20, 09:32 PM
The thing on full night's rest being a full heal is the polymorph description; "you regain hit points as if you had taken a full night's rest" or something to that extent.

This means that polymorph and wild shape are suddenly full heals.

So just make sure that your players realize that this instance is an exception to the houserule.

That is a really good point. Yay house rules.

Rhaegar14
2011-06-20, 09:34 PM
That is a really good point. Yay house rules.

I KNOW this point because I use the houserule in question. And the druid in my group of players kept getting full heals upon wild-shaping and I was basically thinking "that seems really overpowered... I should look into this." Yeah.

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 10:39 PM
Well when making houseules you need to check for things as you go. You just change the amount healed to 1 point per level like it was before. Not a big deal.

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-20, 10:39 PM
I do care about people's opinions, just not ones like "it's just like a video game."

How about "it's just like 4th Edition!" You may also be interested in healing surges.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-20, 10:42 PM
In my next game a full night's rest is enough to refill your HP completely. I don't care if it's "too much like a video game." Also the dice be a cruel mistress, I don't like having players roll for a permanent stat. Each level gained players gain the maximum hit points rolling them would allow; wizards gain 4 per level, barbarians gain 12 per level. Also I am considering giving out 10 extra hit points to make those starting levels less squishy.

I am wondering if I should modify the potency of healing spells/items to adjust for the ease of healing, how about double the amount of hit points healed by each cure wounds spell? moar/less?

Remove the following:

Rope Trick
Magnificent Mansion
Genesis

They let you get a full night's rest. Whenever they want it.

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 10:44 PM
Remove the following:

Rope Trick
Magnificent Mansion
Genesis

They let you get a full night's rest. Whenever they want it.

If they are using those tricks and therefor getting their spell slots back do we really care about full HP considering said spells can be used to bring yourself up to full HP anyway?

ClothedInVelvet
2011-06-20, 10:46 PM
Be careful as you advance in levels. A quick number crunch (see below) shows that your melee members are going to be benefitting from this a lot more than your casters. Not that casters need much help, but don't get too comfortable pouring on the damage without realizing your casters can't take much more than normal.

Standard (average)
Barbarian d12: 6.5hp/lvl
Wizard d4: 2.5hp/lvl
Gap: 4hp

House Rule (max)
Barbarian d12: 12hp/lvl
Wizard d4: 4hp/lvl
Gap: 8hp

SlashRunner
2011-06-20, 10:50 PM
I also have a houserule where all characters start with 10 extra HP.
Seriously, if you're going to do that, make sure to bump up the foes they're fighting quite a bit. The extra +10 HP makes it a lot harder to slowly kill your players via attrition.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-20, 10:51 PM
Sigh. Of course melee can't have nice things.

Casters can cast spells that turn everyone in a 10-mile radius into wights, but you should really watch to make sure that the barbarian doesn't have too much health. Might get out of hand.

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 10:57 PM
Seriously a small bump in HP will not significantly change the balance of the game. In fact resting less should be a goal not a problem.

ClothedInVelvet
2011-06-20, 10:58 PM
No nice things for melee. That's next door at Barbarians of the Coast.

Soon you'll be asking for book learnin', then you'll want heavy armor, and then what? Is that the kind of world you want to live in?

SleepyShadow
2011-06-20, 11:00 PM
The way I typically run it is if the party has a divine caster that can spontaneously cast healing spells (i.e. a good-aligned Cleric, a Healer, a Favored Soul who knows cure spells, or something of the like), then the party heals to full HP after a night's rest. However, without someone with that ability close at hand, the PCs only regain a number of HP equal to their level plus their Constitution modifier.

It works well for me, but maybe only because my group typically only has a divine caster about 50% of the time.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-20, 11:15 PM
Sigh. Of course melee can't have nice things.

Casters can cast spells that turn everyone in a 10-mile radius into wights, but you should really watch to make sure that the barbarian doesn't have too much health. Might get out of hand.

I didn't realize this was a Melee Rights Thread.
And the Barbarian can have his HP, but when you've designed an encounter in consideration of his increased HP, and the party arcanist is knocked from full to -10 in one hit, clearly something has gone terribly wrong.

...I'm reasonably certain that a Locate City nuke has never actually been used in a game, by the way.

Safety Sword
2011-06-20, 11:16 PM
How about "it's just like 4th Edition!" You may also be interested in healing surges.

*gasp*

Blasphemy!

Oh and, just kidding :smallsmile:

Divide by Zero
2011-06-20, 11:23 PM
And the Barbarian can have his HP, but when you've designed an encounter in consideration of his increased HP, and the party arcanist is knocked from full to -10 in one hit, clearly something has gone terribly wrong.

I don't know if I'd call it "terribly wrong," but this would definitely be one of my considerations. If you adjust encounters to account for the increased HP, it actually makes d4/d6 classes more squishy, because now their HP is lower relative to the barbarian's.

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 11:25 PM
I didn't realize this was a Melee Rights Thread.

...I'm reasonably certain that a Locate City nuke has never actually been used in a game, by the way.

I have seen it used several times. It was a pretty awesome campaign too.

I also fell you are very much exaggerating the problems of higher HP totals especially since the less random the totals the easier it is to balance.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-20, 11:32 PM
I have seen it used several times. It was a pretty awesome campaign too.

I also fell you are very much exaggerating the problems of higher HP totals especially since the less random the totals the easier it is to balance.

This.

Even the part about the LCB. I've used it (which was awesome) and had it used against me (which is also awesome :smalltongue:).

Safety Sword
2011-06-21, 12:09 AM

Player fail. It happens.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-21, 12:31 AM
I'll specify :smalltongue: I don't think a Player has broken a game with the LCB, by merit of sane GMs (masochistic ones not included, and "sane" relative to the majority of GMs) not letting it happen. I've read several campaign journals mentioning it's inclusion as a plot device.

I'm not saying anything about how random hp totals are; I prefer max HP at first level, and average every level after. But reasons aside, I'll concede that I clearly must have been incorrect.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-21, 01:27 AM
Player fail. It happens.

Not necessarily. Ideally, what you have is a format that prevents the arcanist from getting bum-rushed, but that also means that the cleric is vulnerable in a four man group, or at least, more likely. If dealing with multiple (possibly all) angles of attack, there will be gaps in it such that a wizard can be hit without his allies stopping said threat. Still a player fail in higher OP, but considering teleportation attack shenanigans, it is certainly doable even then (discounting celerity, natch).

EDIT: At first level, the fighter (assuming same CON [a reasonable assumption here]) has 6 HP on the wizard at first and, assuming, full HP each level, that is a 6 HP gap per level! If only average results, that is still a difference of 3 HP per level, but that is rather reasonable pace, comparatively. It's less difference at lower levels (which the 10 free HP alleviates a lot of the *instadead* type attacks) and by higher levels players should probably have some alternate means of not dying.