PDA

View Full Version : Warlock vitrolic blast

Talakeal
2011-06-20, 07:57 PM
The warlock ability vitrolic blast allows their eldritch blast to instead conjure acid, and as it is a conjuration effect it ignores SR. It also states that if an opponent is immune to acid they still take normal eldritch blast damage.

So, if a monster with both acid immunity and spell resistance such as a black dragon is hit by a vitrolic blast, does it get to use its spell resistance against it?

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 08:14 PM
I think you mean vitriolic blast and I don't see what you are saying. If they are immune to acid they are immune to vitriolic blast which is why you can't blast clay golems.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-20, 08:16 PM
You can't be 'immune to vitriolic blast' any more than you can be 'immune to Maximize Spell' - it's a modifying effect on the Eldritch Blast, not an ability in its own right.

As to the OP, I'd have to read the wording of the ability. Lemee check CA.

MeeposFire
2011-06-20, 08:17 PM
Yea I should sya you are immune to the acid damage but that is what I meant.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-20, 08:21 PM
Yeah, you're right on that point.

OP: If they're immune to acid, they take no damage with or without SR. The passage you're quoting says that they take normal Eldritch Blast damage if they're immune to the essence effect; normal damage in this case is acid damage. That passage is referring to things like Bewitching Blast or Beshadowed Blast - you can hit a Destrachan with Beshadowed Blast even though it's immune to Blinding, or a zombie with Bewitching Blast even if it's immune to mind-affecting effects. You can have an immunity to being dealt acid damage, but you can't be immune to Vitriolic Blast converting the damage into acid damage, because it's not targeting you, it's an effect on the invocation.

Talakeal
2011-06-20, 08:39 PM
Sorry, yes, I meant vitrolic blast. I didn't have the book infront of me. Fixed that.

Basically I had a player fighting a black dragon who has high SR and immunity to acid.

The essence invocations rules state "If a warlock targets a creature with an eldritch essence blast that it has immunity to the invocation's effect, it still takes damage from the blast normally"

Vitrolic blast states:

"This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a vitriolic blast. A vitriolic blast deals acid damage, and it is formed from conjured acid, making it different from other eldritch essences because it ignores spell resistance."

The warlock player is arguing that the black dragon is immune to the acid damage so it takes normal eldritch blast damage. However, the black dragon is not immune to the "ignores SR" part of caustic blast, so that still applies, meaning he has a untyped blast that ignores SR against acid immune foes.

I think its BS, but he is arguing that he is correct by RAW and that by not allowing it I am "screwing him with DM fiat".

The Glyphstone
2011-06-20, 08:56 PM
He's an idiot. And wrong. It's an all-or-nothing deal, either acid damage that bypasses SR or normal damage that doesn't.

Add it to the list of 'moronic things Talakeal's players do/have done', for that eventual thread where you entertain us for months with stories.:smallbiggrin:

Talakeal
2011-06-20, 09:02 PM
Ok, it makes sense to me now. I wouldn't say he is an idiot, but he does have a habit of twisted the wording of rules to suit his ends and won't ever back down.

One time his rogue was fighting a high level mage and insisted that the mages Mind Blank spell made him immune to his own True Seeing and Foresight buffs and therefore it was invisible sneak attack city on the poor wizard.

The entire group telling him he was being ridiculous for over an hour didn't change his mind and now years later he still talks about how he is right by RAW and we were all screwing him.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-20, 09:05 PM
...that is on a whole new level of stupid. You don't need a new group, you need an Abused DM Support Hotline and a 12-step program to break you of your horrible group addiction...