PDA

View Full Version : List of all RPG classes

Sphar
2011-06-20, 11:45 PM
I am looking for a list of all the RPG classes you can think of.I would like it to be swords-and-sorcery only.Prestige/Advanced classes and so on are alright.Preferably,I would like a link to the class/a description of it.Thanks!

EDIT:So far....
Adept
Alchemist
Arcane Archer
Ardent
Artificer
Assassin
Blackguard
Bladesinger
Barbarian
Bard
Battlemage
Battlerager
Beastlord
Binder
Bounty Hunter
Cavalier
Cleric
Delver
Divine Born
Dragon Knight
Dragon Rider
Dragonslayer
Druid
Duelist
Fighter
Gladiator
Healer
Illusionist
Inquisitor
Knight
Lurk
Medic
Monk
Mystic
Necromancer
Ninja
Oracle
Paladin
Psion
Psyblade
Psychic Warrior
Ranger
Rogue
Scavenger
Scout
Shadowdancer
Shaman
Sorcerer
Soulknife
Spidermage
Spider Rider
Summoner
Swashbuckler
Thief
Thug
Warlock
Warlord
Warmage
Warrior
Whisperer
Witchhunter
Wizard
Psyblade

Arbane
2011-06-21, 12:13 AM
All the classes?

ALL of them?

:smalleek:

Well, you can start here:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnAdventurerIsYou

And then check this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dungeons_%26_Dragons_character_classes

And that's just for D&D. There's a bazillion other RPGs out there, and some of them don't eve use classes at all.

Sphar
2011-06-21, 01:41 AM
Well,I don't mean ALL.Just ....alot:smalltongue:
ANyways,thanks for the links,they're really helpful.

Eldan
2011-06-21, 02:38 AM
Well, there's this:

Base class index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/class) and this: Prestige Class index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc). I think that qualifies as "a lot".

Xefas
2011-06-21, 03:26 AM
Can you define what constitutes a "class"? It's kind of a nebulous term. Do the various Castes from Exalted count? Lifepaths from Burning Wheel? The various playbooks from Apocalypse World?

And that's just tabletop "RPGs". Do you also mean from vidja games, board games, TCGs, and so on?

Eldan
2011-06-21, 03:44 AM
Let's go on... Dark Heresy has:

Adept, Arbitrator, Assassin, Guardsman, Imperial Psyker, Scum, Techpriest, Adeptas Sororitas, Battle Sister.

Rogue Trader has:

Arch-Militant, Astropath, Explorator, Missionary, Navigator, Seneschal, Voidmaster.

Deathwatch has:

Apothecary, Assault Marine, Chaplain, Devastator, Librarian, Tac-Marine, Tech Marine.

Should I start counting down Shadowrun editions as well? Because, really, I could go on almost forever.

Sphar
2011-06-21, 12:24 PM
Class-a structure in an RPG that gives set abilities and attributes,often specializing in a certain skill or area of combat.

Kurald Galain
2011-06-21, 12:47 PM
You can find lots more examples at http://www.thesaurus.com

Xefas
2011-06-21, 02:17 PM
Class-a structure in an RPG that gives set abilities and attributes,often specializing in a certain skill or area of combat.

Do you mind if I ask what you need this information for?

But, anyway, the Exalted Castes fit into this description. Here is a page that links to descriptions of all of them. (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Caste) And here is a list:
Dawn
Zenith
Twilight
Night
Eclipse
Dusk
Midnight
Daybreak
Day
Moonshadow
Slayer
Malefactor
Defiler
Scourge
Fiend
Full Moon
Changing Moon
No Moon
Chosen of Journeys
Chosen of Serenity
Chosen of Battles
Chosen of Secrets
Chosen of Endings
Orichalcum
Moonsilver
Starmetal
Soulsteel
Jade
Adamant
Fire Aspect
Water Aspect
Air Aspect
Earth Aspect
Wood Aspect
----

Kobolds Ate My Baby has:
Veteran
Short Order Cook
Cutpurse
Evil Apprentice
Rules Lawyer
Bootlicker
----

Dungeon Crawl has:
Fighter
Gladiator
Monk
Hunter Assassin
Artificer
Wanderer
Berserker
Abyssal Knight
Chaos Knight
Death Knight
Priest
Healer
Crusader
Enchanter
Transmuter
Stalker
Warper
Wizard
Conjurer
Summoner
Necromancer
Fire Elementalist
Air Elementalist
Earth Elementalist
Ice Elementalist
Venom Mage
----

And...god, there's no way I could put down the hundreds of Burning Wheel ones.

Sphar
2011-06-21, 02:36 PM
Alright,sorry I only answered one person,I was REALLY tired.Going from my 2nd post:
@Eldan:Thanks,I'll add it to the list :).

@Xefas:Class-a structure in an RPG that gives set abilities and attributes,often specializing in a certain skill or area of combat.

@Kurald Galain:Thanks,that helps a bit :P

@Xefas:I'm making a videogame :P,thanks for all the info.I've been trying to look for non-TMed classes,or take them and make it into something new.Thanks for the huge input!

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-21, 02:43 PM
Do you mind if I ask what you need this information for?

But, anyway, the Exalted Castes fit into this description. Here is a page that links to descriptions of all of them. (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Caste) And here is a list:
Dawn
Zenith
Twilight
Night
Eclipse
Dusk
Midnight
Daybreak
Day
Moonshadow
Slayer
Malefactor
Defiler
Scourge
Fiend
Full Moon
Changing Moon
No Moon
Chosen of Journeys
Chosen of Serenity
Chosen of Battles
Chosen of Secrets
Chosen of Endings
Orichalcum
Moonsilver
Starmetal
Soulsteel
Jade
Adamant
Fire Aspect
Water Aspect
Air Aspect
Earth Aspect
Wood Aspect

You forgot "Waning Moon", "Waxing Moon" and "Half Moon".

Arbane
2011-06-21, 03:00 PM
@Xefas:I'm making a videogame :P,thanks for all the info.I've been trying to look for non-TMed classes,or take them and make it into something new.Thanks for the huge input!

What sort of videogame? An RPG?

Totally Guy
2011-06-21, 04:13 PM
And...god, there's no way I could put down the hundreds of Burning Wheel ones.

I've got the Orcs PDF... Some of these have hilarious names!

Born Chattel
Cattle Slave
Butcher
Scavenger
Forge Slave
Forger
Hauler
Cutter Slave
Woodcutter
Tunneller
Pitwright
Ravager
He Who Grinds the Edges of our Axes to Glinting Sharpness
Whipmaster
Born Great
The Rites
Servant of the Gate
He Who Walks in the Named’s Shadow
He Whose Skin is like Winter Night, Whose Mere Presence Causes Those Beneath Him to Shiver in Terror and Cower Beneath His Wicked Blade
He Who is Mighty and Earned the Ancient Right to be Named
Siege Master
Gate Forger
Whisperer
Great One
Goblin
Sun-Blotter
He Who Bears the Banner of Our Hatred
Despair-Shouter
Legioner
He who Lurks in the Twilight and Seeks Our Enemies
He Who is Fell and Stalks the Night
He Who Sits Astride the Howling Black Beast
He Who Bears the Lash and Drives Us Ever On
He Who Rules the Black Wolf Pack
He Who Cleaves the Heads of His Enemies From Their Shoulders and Sets Them Upon Stakes for All to See
Troll Lord
Slave to the Dark
Drinker of the Dark
Bloodletter
Knower of Secrets Profane
Master of Eight
Master of Blood
Master of Darkness
Master of the Weak
Dark Summoner
Blood Summoner
Servant

Sphar
2011-06-21, 04:44 PM
Yes,I'm making a class-based MMORPG.

Totally Guy:Lol,thanks.

Eldan
2011-06-21, 04:47 PM
Then you should know there's a good chance quite a few of these are copyrighted or trademarked terms.

MeeposFire
2011-06-21, 05:01 PM
Don't forget the best classes!

Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling!

Doc Roc
2011-06-21, 06:53 PM
Yes,I'm making a class-based MMORPG.

Totally Guy:Lol,thanks.

Wait, what? I mean, what? Explain?

Sphar
2011-06-22, 11:17 AM
@Eldan:Yes,I don't intend on using all of them ;)
Yu can't copyright the classic stuff like Mage or Fighter or Cleric,so that's what I'll be using :P

@Meepos:I'm using races haha

@Doc Roc:I think YOU need to explain,I don't understand the question lol

LibraryOgre
2011-06-22, 02:49 PM
The list of OCCs in the Rifts Game Master's Guide is several pages long, and now about 5-10 years old.

MeeposFire
2011-06-22, 02:54 PM
Oh but those were great classes back in basic D&D!:smallwink:

Doc Roc
2011-06-22, 05:05 PM
@Eldan:Yes,I don't intend on using all of them ;)
Yu can't copyright the classic stuff like Mage or Fighter or Cleric,so that's what I'll be using :P

@Meepos:I'm using races haha

@Doc Roc:I think YOU need to explain,I don't understand the question lol

What I mean is: Do you have programmers? Are you developing it alone? How far along are you? Why do you want so many classes?

Sphar
2011-06-23, 11:34 AM
@Mark Hall:Too bad I don't have it ):

@Doc Roc:Yes,I have programmers.I'm not developing it alone.I have all of my ideas down on paper,but currently the lady I'm working with is very sick so haven't been able to get it up into a prototype.I want so many classes because I enjoy a wide variety,and I'm basing it off of a book that does the same thing.

Aron Times
2011-06-23, 02:52 PM
Making an MMORPG is the easy part. Putting up the infrastructure to support it is orders of magnitude harder. Can you elaborate on how you plan on pulling this off? Your posts are too short and vague to allow us to help you better. This isn't chat; you can take your time to format your posts so we can understand them better.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-23, 03:17 PM
Making an MMORPG is the easy part. Putting up the infrastructure to support it is orders of magnitude harder. Can you elaborate on how you plan on pulling this off? Your posts are too short and vague to allow us to help you better. This isn't chat; you can take your time to format your posts so we can understand them better.

He's never going to actually get it off the ground, you know.

Aron Times
2011-06-23, 03:30 PM
By the power of OPTIMISM, I banish you, Snow Demon!

Sphar
2011-06-23, 03:48 PM
Yuki,who are you to tell me what I can and can't do? Please don't post anything negative..I need your postive comments and helpful criticism,not blatant comments that deny optimism.

Frozen_Feet
2011-06-23, 03:55 PM
Can you elaborate on how you plan on pulling this off? Your posts are too short and vague to allow us to help you better.

Maybe he doesn't need our help outside this very specific question? It might not be conductive to derail the thread with things he didn't ask help for.

Anyways, one real concern with having many classes is that you need a massively complex system to support them all. Balance is going to be a crapshoot as well. But those are problems for when he's actually picked what classes to use.

Sphar
2011-06-23, 04:00 PM
@Frozen_Feet:Yeah,actually I was gonna start a separate thread sometime and elaborate on the whole thing there and ask for ideas from all playgrounders.

I definitely don't expect this to be off the ground soon,as I will have to continuosly playtest to balance like you said.Anyways,I want the world to be huge.

Another thing is I don't think I'm gonna release all the classes at once;I'm going to be testing them in the background and have them released as updates.I don't
want expansions,as I want everyone to be at the same pace.Anyways,I'm not in this for the money.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-06-30, 11:57 PM
Bishop, Lord, Valkyrie and Gadgeteer from the Wizardry computer game series (also has it's own take on many things, check the Samurai and Ranger out).

(look in the character build pages)
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/flamestryke/wizardry8/flamestrykes_w8.html

EDIT: and I suppose that's more metagame analysis, so:

Bishop, Master of none, but capable of all harnessing all magics. Such broad "specialization" costs the price of less skill unless they ignore one or more of the varieties of magic (here, Alchemy, Magery, Psionics, and Divine).

Lord: Dual Wielding Paladin-esque character. Wears heavy armor and heals naturally over time (at first level, it's like 1hp a minute). Also gain access to Divine magic later on.

Valkyrie: Pole-arm and Mace wielder. Has the ability to cheat death (if they would die, they might randomly be reduced to one hitpoint and unconsciousness) gain divine magic eventually.

Gadgeteer: creator of magitek implements, essentially assembling scrap into things that imitate spells, also tinkers with his personal omni-gun, a crude firearm that eventually is capable of firing practically anything you put into it.

Samurai: Kind of the standard fare, except they randomly my Lightning Strike (essentially, 3 or so combat rounds occuring simultaneously, only for attacks though). Eventually get access to mage spells.

Ranger: access to alchemy eventually, able to search at no penalty on the move (and always searching) can shoot while blind... Ranged Criticals (instant kills here).

DontEatRawHagis
2011-07-02, 04:40 PM
Battlemind
Runepriest
Seeker

DontEatRawHagis
2011-07-02, 04:53 PM
Battlemind
Runepriest
Seeker

TheOOB
2011-07-02, 10:24 PM
7th sea doesn't have classes persay, but it has dozens of swordsman schools and sorcery bloodlines that define your characters abilities and advance in power as you do.

Jay R
2011-07-07, 09:05 AM
I doubt if a full list is possible, and even if it is, you'd need each class for to footnote for which editions they appear in. The Dragon #3 included the Idiot, the Jester, the Healer and the Scribe for original D&D.

Darko
2013-05-30, 02:58 AM
Hello i am new and have no idea how to start my own fourm so if some one could tell me but i also have a question that may realate to this subject i have been working on a my own table top game and thanks to all of you i noiw have enough charcter classes to use however i am still missing imprtenet items i need to complete my game i really need a program on the computer i can use while offline that
1 keeps track of life/attack/deffense and so on and so on
2 something that has the abilaty to not only keep track of turns but time
3 Items and spells along with armor

thats all i can think of right now and like i said i have no idea how to reall use this so if you could send it to me in a pavite message that would be great thank you

Balain
2013-06-01, 01:19 AM
Warhammer fantasy had ones like Rat catcher, brawler I think, Stuff like that any ways. Oh here is a link to them.
(http://apathyblogs.com/warhammer/)