PDA

View Full Version : I'm on a boat and...

Typewriter
2011-06-20, 11:56 PM
So, I'm a big fan of Heroscape. I bought around 600 dollars worth of tiles about 6 months ago and have been using it heavily in my D&D gaming ever since.

I thought people might get a kick out of this:

The boat:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/RvqOfjllnVal-2gKGF9b4JpjOLzs3YKvCtL8v8H8BKMAJQghSyq_XBX-UYLwZXExm6H6o2P9nPfrTvYKJKUXY-R57w=s512

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/4JwSSy0BDuLMrQZI1zlLf4js1xlPnNqVRJS117RAtensrMV5YR WK0cRgTgwZ54gu3OcyH044nZDO_iG24JpbvLLx8g=s512

The boat gets attacked by fire elementals:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Cs1Wzr8UsgUq0QNWX3UAaE7oEkM1FkGMfJosiDttEfcTonz_9S TxIRrDjRy6ZF8Fd31mKdKUxYQ9jCU3zFzomz5cEw=s512
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Ss9jGJK_oGxZvaCWcAQNje1LafrosoMJEpvQ6qCUGYNbShtksz vIdmv9f0E5P-d3knEg2q56A3JIu1wCYhGcyAk8PA=s512

The boat after a few rounds. Part of the boat is on fire:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/Y5ut8e6xjD9VlzLYigreAmNgXPSSlau-XvM_QytQ-ocu8FXLm0uqGi-dWDCi53JGI5t1Pi01A_Ojp26FTnHg6ddn8g=s512
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/n7t3K_e_Y0k-3vJVPCI4UBg7mvIJvnql15yX87ydUCu4SniFMNMwBENEew4CF2 0iHP4Vvd--HjWxRxMRiJqmScqzxg=s512

NOTE: I was having some issues with google, and this was the biggest I could get the images. I'll try to make something bigger tomorrow if anyone has interest.

Also: Next week simultaneous to the 'on-ship' combat that's going to be occuring the captain will be moving his vessel in dangerous waters against other ships. The two maps will both exist in 3-d and all actions will occur simultaneously :P

The Random NPC
2011-06-21, 01:30 AM
I bet you never thought you'd be there.:smalltongue:

On topic:
That's a pretty cool use of tiles.

Combat Reflexes
2011-06-21, 04:36 AM
That's... awesome. (although a bit pricey)

I would love to play that game. I've been playing Heroscape for about two years now - and together with a friend I have spent about a hundred euros ($114 or so) on tiles/units/master sets and such. Hey, I'm 17! Low budget :smallsmile:

Until now I've never allowed my Heroscape and my D&D to mix, but this thread has inspired me! I think I'll start an infected/zombie survival game, with the Marro hive/units/nagrubs as zombies or something like that.

Also: sea battles (in 3D)? How would you handle that? There are only so much water tiles :smallannoyed:

ps. I don't know whether you already have it or not, but there is a master set of Heroscape (Drow of the Underdark ) that is specifically modelled after 3E D&D. May be worth looking up.

Typewriter
2011-06-21, 08:39 AM
That's... awesome. (although a bit pricey)

I would love to play that game. I've been playing Heroscape for about two years now - and together with a friend I have spent about a hundred euros ($114 or so) on tiles/units/master sets and such. Hey, I'm 17! Low budget :smallsmile:

I shouldn't have spent as much as I did, but once I bought a few, I let things get out of hand. In this picture is about 1/2 of my regular tiles, and about 1% of my 'castle' tiles.

Until now I've never allowed my Heroscape and my D&D to mix, but this thread has inspired me! I think I'll start an infected/zombie survival game, with the Marro hive/units/nagrubs as zombies or something like that.

One thing that's been kind of cool is that, prior to the boat, I'd been building terrain for each encounter. Now that the party has a boat, and encounters have been happening there the party has been able to get used to the boat and I've just been leaving it up between sessions. It's cool to have a 3-d 'base' for the party.

Also: sea battles (in 3D)? How would you handle that? There are only so much water tiles :smallannoyed:

Unfortanetly I don't have many water tiles but I do have a bunch of swamp and black tiles as well. And then there's the rocky tiles. The map will probably be around 15-15 tiles and water will be unimpeded, black and green tiles will be shallower water and will require higher DCs to maneuver or risk grounding the boat, and rocky shelfs will supply cover and the like.

I'll take pictures when we play and be sure to post them :P

ps. I don't know whether you already have it or not, but there is a master set of Heroscape (Drow of the Underdark ) that is specifically modelled after 3E D&D. May be worth looking up.

I think I have actually 4 copies of the Drow of the Underdark. The Master sets were the best source for large tiles so I bought a bunch of them and a bunch of the Swarm set. I bought around 10 sets of the keep because they're so cheap online.

Then you have the road to the forgotten forest. 4 trees and a bridge. I spent 80 bucks on that because it's out of print and all the amazon people jacked up the prices. But I really wanted trees.

Ivellius
2011-06-23, 03:17 PM
As a fellow Heroscaper and D&Der, I approve this thread.

I've used Heroscape terrain a tiny bit, but the biggest obstacle is the set-up time and space. It usually takes me longer to set up a map than I want to spend when I can just pull out a battle-mat instead. I do like hexes better, though.

Do you happen to have one of the old lexan mats that a Heroscaper made and distributed to several online retailers? (HouseMouse Games still has a few, I think.) I'm thinking pretty hard about getting one or two myself for my gaming needs. There was a water one, which might be handy for aquatic adventuring.

(As a side note, I've about decided maps are more trouble than they're worth, and I'd rather not bother too much with them if I don't have to.)

Typewriter
2011-06-23, 03:52 PM
I just took a look at those, are they just mats that are the right size and color? I may be ordering a few...

Ivellius
2011-06-23, 04:04 PM
Basically. They were made by someone who frequents the Heroscapers forum, and they're just colored like the different terrain styles.

lerg2
2011-06-23, 06:27 PM
I've got this really nice battlemat that..... hold on I'll go grab it. I think its from CHESSEX, maybe MEGAMAT. I'm not sure on the material, but most non-permanent markers just wipe off. The best brand to get IMO is a Staedtler, the 4-pack came with a neat plastic case too. I put large markings every 20 feet and small ones every 10, it helps eyeball distance. Anyway, its got 33 squares by 44 squares. It's come in handy a lot and I think you might like it. Borrowing props from game sets helps make the map a lot more interesting too.

CodeRed
2011-06-24, 12:01 AM
I've got this really nice battlemat that..... hold on I'll go grab it. I think its from CHESSEX, maybe MEGAMAT. I'm not sure on the material, but most non-permanent markers just wipe off. The best brand to get IMO is a Staedtler, the 4-pack came with a neat plastic case too. I put large markings every 20 feet and small ones every 10, it helps eyeball distance. Anyway, its got 33 squares by 44 squares. It's come in handy a lot and I think you might like it. Borrowing props from game sets helps make the map a lot more interesting too.

I have two of those maps as well as said wet-erase markers from Staedtler. They work exceptionally well together as each mat is two sided with squares on one and hexes on the other allowing for two maps on the same sheet. One word of warning however is not to let the wet-erase marker stay on there for more than a day or two as it will begin to seep into the map. At that point, you will get nigh-permanent lines that only begin to fade slowly after repeated scrubbings.