PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon of the Bear - Dungeon World

Totally Guy
2011-06-21, 01:18 AM
Castle Ward, long has it stood abandoned. Since the the monsters from the dungeon below assaulted it it has been an empty shell of what it once was. Any richness the place had has been looted by the vile servants of the netherworld.

Snow lies thick upon the ground outside and the sun weakly shines through the mountains spotlighting the castle walls.

Having completed their long trek a group of wanderers approach; Maggni Irongut, a proud dwarven warrior, The Perfessor, a sly halfling and Dontos, the man who chronicles their deeds.

From the castle entrance you see before you a manor house straight ahead. On the ground before it is a large red crest of a falcon upon which the snow has not settled. This crest is so large it takes up most of the courtyard.

To the left of the manor house is a tall tower with a pointed top.

To your right is a watchtower with a turreted top. And between that and the manor house is a rough a battered barracks.

In the left corner is a frozen pond. Between the pond and the falcon crest courtyard there is a well.

What do you do?

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-21, 09:02 AM
Dontos gapes in wonder at the castle before him. A verse springs to mind, from The Palace of Pentos, a one act play he re-wrote for his troupe some years back. He finds it springs to his tongue quite unbidden.

But strong lads, be on your guard,
For what hope have we 'gainst towers?
Eyes that see and stone that's hard
The emblem of the Storm King's power?

Now's not the time for wondering whether
A tower w'thout eyes is an arrow w'thout feathers.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-21, 09:12 AM
I also spout lore on the falcon crest. Curious how snow hasn't settled there.

Question 1: Is it dangerous to me?
[roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-21, 09:16 AM
Dice roller failed.
[roll0]
Is it dangerous to me?
What does it do?
How can I make it point us in the right direction?

Looks like Dontos is clueless.

Totally Guy
2011-06-21, 10:24 AM
In the event of failure I have my own moves that I can use. You can probably find out what they all are online but during the game I will not speak the names of my moves. I will also address you as your character to emphasize that you are making the decision on their behalf.

Dontos, you could try investigating the individual paving stones in order to try to show your group that you do in fact know all about it. Alternatively you could leave it, you don't know, but you'd take -1 Forward to your next interaction with a party member. You are sure they expected you to know this... What will you do?

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-21, 10:34 AM
Dontos kneels down before the paving stones.

Ah, yes. The fabled falcon crest. Mark the vibrant colors, still in tact after all these years of misuse. They say neither snow nor ice can find purchase on the face of the falcon, but the old poem never said why...

What say you, Perfessor?

Totally Guy
2011-06-21, 10:57 AM
Upon close inspection one of the slabs at the base of the falcon's right outstretched wing appears to be the size and shape of a rounded door coming up from the ground. It's sealed in place and rather suspicious.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-21, 11:01 AM
Oh my... I think I may have discovered why snow never settles on the crest. There is a door hidden here! It looks sealed.

Maggni, use your fabled strength to open the door. It will make a rollicking good beginning to your tale!

arrowhen
2011-06-21, 01:06 PM
"HAH! Can't say I recall many tales that open with a dwarf lifting a rock. Guess you're the expert, though."

Maggni saunters over to the slab, with an excess of stretching, twisting, flexing, and limbering, the cracking of many joints, and repeated cinchings of the broad leather belt encircling his mighty dwarven gut.

Finally, he stands before the stone, feet planted firmly in the snow, and shouts: "Look close, lads, and see how a Thrice-Hopped Barleywort dwarf gets things done! But stand ye well back, for who knows what manner of foul monster, creature, or beast may lurk in the darkness beneath this ancient stone."

The dwarf squats, grasps the edge of the stone, and heaves upwards with all of his might.

Bend Bars/ Lift Gates: [roll0]
I'll take "doesn't take long", "doesn't damage anything valuable", and "can be fixed again". It can make all the noise it wants; noise is impressive.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-21, 01:35 PM
Oh, well done your grace! Well done indeed! Let's have a look at where this leads...

Neurobomber
2011-06-21, 02:55 PM
Man, you guys get started early! I'll try to play catchup.

The Perfessor ignores many of the events going on. Too busy walking along the edge of the frozen water just inches away from his bare feet. He mumbles to himself several times and often lets out a loud curse every few moments.

Does the Perfessor notice anything interesting about the lake? Perhaps a shiny bauble or a roving lake monster?

Oh my... I think I may have discovered why snow never settles on the crest. There is a door hidden here! It looks sealed.

Maggni, use your fabled strength to open the door. It will make a rollicking good beginning to your tale!

The Perfessor breaks from his concentration and walks over to the newly discovered door. He kicks it a little and pokes it with his rapier. "Obviously there's a door here!" He spouts, "I knew it the second I set foot here. Obviously the previous tenants needed a way to get in and out and a door would be the obvious solution."

He removes his spectacles, rubs them with his coat and shines them in the light. "The question, my dear sirs, is where is the BACK door. Only guests enter the front door, so unless you wish to knock and ask if we could come in for a spot of tea I suggest we continue our search. No, the back door is much much better. People tend to take things out of the back door. You would never toss your garbage through the front door for fear of offending a guest for tea. Thus it is much less expected that we would come from there."

The dwarf squats, grasps the edge of the stone, and heaves upwards with all of his might.

The Perfessor jumps out the dwarf's way and adjusts his bowtie. "Many people would not appreciate a burly dwarf tearing the hinges off their front door!" He proclaims, "I would recommend that unless you wish to have your eyebrows blown off by a well-designed security system you allow me to check the functions of such a unique portal before you commit such acts of vandalism."

I should probably check for traps? Although Maggni seems to have other plans :-P

Totally Guy
2011-06-21, 03:49 PM
Remember guys this particular module was published is from the 70s. There's all kinds of horribly unfair stuff in here!

Also I'd like to trust you to log experience yourselves. Maggni should have earned a point for lifting the slab as Strength is a highlighted stat.

Under the paving slab there is a tomb of a finely dressed gentleman wearing a valuable looking brooch. His body is well preserved but showing some signs of decay.

Arcane marks around the grave swirl reacting to the light cast upon them.

"Who disturbs the Count's Tomb?" says a voice that seemingly emanates from the grave.

"Begone grave robbers! Begone!"

When he investigated the pond The Perfessor noticed a golden glint under the frozen surface. However unlike your typical treasure it seemed to be moving ever so slowly and ever so slightly.

Neurobomber
2011-06-21, 04:09 PM
The Perfessor is startled backwards. "S...s...see? Like I said, it's obviously somebody's tomb that they would take numerous precautions to keep intruders away. I say we grab that shiny bauble and then close that portal post-haste!"

His hands shaky, he continues to clutch his rapier while backing away from the tomb slowly.

Spout Lore: What do those arcane marks do? Do they look dangerous?

Oh yeah, 1970's. So that's why the character creation system is so easy! We'll be rerolling characters quite often :-P

Totally Guy
2011-06-21, 04:25 PM
Spout Lore: What do those arcane marks do? Do they look dangerous?

Oh yeah, 1970's. So that's why the character creation system is so easy! We'll be rerolling characters quite often :-P

The module is from the 70s. The rule system is not out yet. This is a beta version.

Roll 2d6 + Int to spout lore. And ask the questions from the list. On a fail I'll be using one of my GM moves against you. Because your Int is highlighted you'll gain 1xp just for trying it.

arrowhen
2011-06-21, 05:00 PM
Maggni drops into a low defensive stance, shifting to interpose himself between the tomb and his companion, his hand hovering ready near the haft of his axe as scans the interior of the tomb with a warrior's eye for danger.

Discern Realities: [roll0]
Yep, that's a tomb all right!

Neurobomber
2011-06-21, 05:17 PM
Okay, I'm still new to vbulletin so I think I figured out how to roll dice. Let me know if this doesn't work...

[roll0]

Question: What do the magic runes do?

Oh, and I just made an OOTS avatar of The Perfessor! Yay!

Totally Guy
2011-06-21, 05:23 PM
"A king with with no subjects. Here to take all he can for his fallen legacy. You have disturbed my Mistresses lover's tomb. I can see this situation for what it really is. And for that Dwarf, I shall kill you."

In the centre of the Falcon Courtyard stands Ekmuckt the Demon. His posture is confident. His skin is a dark red and his legs are hoofed. In his hand he wields a curved sword.

Maggni, he can see your history just by looking at you. How do you feel about that? What else does he know? And what will you do about it?

Totally Guy
2011-06-21, 05:36 PM
Okay, I'm still new to vbulletin so I think I figured out how to roll dice. Let me know if this doesn't work...

[roll0]

Question: What do the magic runes do?

Oh, and I just made an OOTS avatar of The Perfessor! Yay!

The runes have interacted with other runes to summon Ekmuckt the Demon. Perfessor, you have seen that it is possible to dismiss him by manipulating the runes but it will come at a price whether it would work or not.

Manipulating the runes will bestow a curse upon you. I will create a custom move for this eventuality. Perfessor - what will you do with this opportunity?

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-21, 06:37 PM
Dontos backs away a bit. They hadn't even entered the dungeon yet, and already the intrepid heroes did battle with a fell demon! This would surely make a most excellent play.

Although, in his experience most demons are not fought, but rather dealt with. This was coming out a bit wrong...

Demon! he calls. And dweller of this fine tomb... I would be careful if I were you. Attacking us will put you in great danger, and for what? We mean you no harm, and do not mean to rob your grave. If you are the count of this castle, or serve him, then it is your ancestral home that should concern you, not your resting place. The castle is over run with dwellers of the dire dungeon below it, dominated by its dastardly denizens. If anything, we mean to avenge you and restore your honor, not defile it.

Call off your futile attack and we will seal the door back up. It is easily fixed - anyone can see that. We'll remove the damage, and with no damage delt, no feelings should be hurt. And if you have some special request we could perfrom for you while we are in the castle and its dungeons, well, I just know we will do everything in our power to make it so! On my honor, and on the honor of a King, which is worth more than all the gold in the land.

What say you?Parley!

[roll0]

arrowhen
2011-06-22, 01:22 AM
Maggni, he can see your history just by looking at you. How do you feel about that? What else does he know? And what will you do about it?

Maggni is afraid, of course. Who wouldn't be, finding himself face to face with a demon? But his greatest fear isn't death, but failure. What would it say about his clan if their last king should fall here, without ever even making it into the dungeon first?

As to the rest, if the demon can see his history, so be it. Let it see. The truth is what it is. Maggni may be afraid, but he will not be ashamed.

Maggni stands tall... for a dwarf, anyway. He clasps his hands lightly in front of him and composes his features into a calm, kingly mien. He feels a brief surge of pride at his ability to hide his fear, but there's no time to think about that now.

"The bard speaks the truth. We mean you no harm, and we are not here to steal.

You see correctly: I am here to take all I can... but it is not treasure I seek to take, but honor. The rightful honor due my clan as a result of my worthy deeds. We meant-- I meant no disrespect to your Mistress by disturbing this tomb; I sought only entrance to the dungeons below in order to do battle with the monsters who laid waste to this noble stronghold.

As my companion has stated, I will, of course, reseal the tomb with all the care and dwarven stonecraft I can muster. Moreover, I will -- and I swear this upon the sacred honor of the Thrice-Hopped Barleywine Clan -- I will cleanse the dungeons of the foul creatures that inhabit it, thereby restoring the sanctity of this tomb and its environs!"

Aid Dontos' Parley roll: [roll0]
Woot!

Totally Guy
2011-06-22, 01:26 AM
"So back away now. Reseal the Count in the stonework. My mistress Banitaar commanded that the grave not be desecrated. If you truly wish to restore the Count's honour and access the dungeon you will need to confront another like me serving Banitaar. Go to the manor basement and leave the Count."

Ekmukt the demon starts to fade away.

When there is a situation where a character is making a choice can we try to find out what the answer is before stepping in. You can still advise them of what you can do but I'd rather see the questions answered first.

Having the mighty dwarf back down to allow his companion to talk is a cool thing that tells us about the dwarf and his faith in his companion.

Having the dwarf not attack without a choice because his companion has stepped in his way isn't cool. Around a tabletop I'd be able to ask "Are you cool with him doing that?" but if I did that here for every action we'd never get anywhere. Plus dice were already rolled.

Is that cool?

Edit: Ninja'd by Maggni. Only one of you would be able to Parlay the other would be using the assisting move.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-22, 08:58 AM
That makes sense. Next time I'd say something like "I'd like to try to parley with him."characters

Neurobomber
2011-06-22, 09:44 AM
The Perfessor breathed a sigh of relief to the others' success. He shuddered to think what would have happened if he had risked the rune's curse. Still, that brooch was quite shiny...

I'll post more later! Late for work!

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-22, 10:19 AM
Well then, I suppose we are off to the Manor basement, but be on the lookout for the other demon. I will follow your lead!

Neurobomber
2011-06-22, 08:31 PM
"Not so fast, my boy! Before this little upheaval I encountered an object of interest."

The halfling saunters to his previous position at the lake and points to the shining object under the ice.

"Maggni, if you would be so kind, I require the use of those destructive hands of yours. See if you can break through this thickened ice."

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-22, 09:38 PM
What? You think His Grace should waste his time breaking ice? What for? Some trinket at the bottom of a frozen pond? We just promised that nice demon that we weren't here to ransack the place. And at any rate, I should think even a man of your stature up to the task of cracking a little ice. But I am just a humble observer and recorder to this, your great quest and journey, so do what you feel is best!

Totally Guy
2011-06-23, 12:42 AM
The golden curls on the underside of the ice move ever so slightly.

arrowhen
2011-06-23, 02:55 AM
"HAH! I didn't get this strong asking others to do my work for me. You want to get through that ice, try for yourself!

But I agree with Dontos. I'd hate to draw that demon's attention again chasing after pretty baubles in the pond. If it's gold you're after, the dungeon is where we'll find it. I say we make for the Manor house."

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-23, 07:35 AM
Well said. Perfessor?

Neurobomber
2011-06-23, 09:42 AM
The Perfessor sighs loudly, slinging his arms in the air. "If you want something done!" He shouts and proceeds to pound at the ice with the hilt of his rapier.

The demon said to avoid the tomb, he said nothing of the lake a few meters away. Besides, what could POSSIBLY go wrong? ;-)

I'm not sure what kind of action I should take but I'd assume a roll for STR is involved?

2d6

Totally Guy
2011-06-23, 10:51 AM
We'll call it defy danger. The danger being that you fall in!

The ice spits up chunks as the rapier digs in against it.

Do you continue? If so roll it!

Neurobomber
2011-06-23, 02:18 PM
The Perfessor makes one more last ditch attempt at breaking the ice, muttering and cursing all the way.

[roll0]

If he still fails, the Perfessor will give up and continue along with the others. This ice smashing sidequest has become tedious.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-23, 03:16 PM

R'uh r'oh R'aggy!

Totally Guy
2011-06-23, 05:47 PM
Hey Perfessor, when you Defy Danger that's Dexterity and you get a +2 to that. I'd just written up a post where you outright failed... Now I've changed it.

The ice cracks but unfortunately the pond's edge was obscured by some of the snow. The weight of the Perfessor pushes down on one side and the sheet of ice opens up like a mighty flap. Deftly the Perfessor steps back but slips forward such that the sheet of ice, now horizontal supports him.

Through the ice the Perfessor sees the gold on the other side. Gold Leeches, clinging to the surface. Worthless. Disgusting.

Perfessor, do you allow your friends to rescue you and see that you made a fool of yourself for leeches? Take -1 forward to your next interaction with the party.

Or will you loosen the ice that supports you. You'll fall and get wet but you avoid the shame of foolishness as they won't see the leeches.

Neurobomber
2011-06-23, 10:02 PM
Or will you loosen the ice that supports you. You'll fall and get wet but you avoid the shame of foolishness as they won't see the leeches.

So does that mean I won't be stuck by the leeches below? The Perfessor is okay with getting wet but leeches are another subject entirely!

The Perfessor falls over in to the water with a large "ker-splash!". He scrambles to the edge of the lake and pulls himself up.

Standing upright, his face beet red with a mortified expression, he squeezes the water out his bowtie and says, "Well, that was refreshing! Shall we continue with out exploration, then?"

arrowhen
2011-06-24, 05:36 PM
Watching the halfling's antics, Maggni feels the tension of their encounter with the demon draining away. He slaps his hands to his ample belly and erupts into loud, honest laughter, brought on not only by the Perfesser's tumble, but the simple joy of being alive.

"AH-HAH HAH! A good effort, lad. That can be the start of your tale: before heading off into certain danger, he decides a quick swim is just the thing to sharpen the mind and invigorate the muscles!"

Neurobomber
2011-06-27, 01:34 PM
Becoming impatient, The Perfessor begins his trek to the entrance of Castle Ward.

Where'd everyone go??

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-27, 06:07 PM
I was waiting for Guy to say what really happened when you fell into the water. Maybe you were attacked be leaches after all. We kind of can't progress without him, even if we do go to the manor house... characters

Totally Guy
2011-06-27, 06:20 PM
I was waiting for you guys to go next. I already did the water bit. He's wet now. It'll be important come camp time.

The front door of the manor house is old and creaky. It opens into a mess hall, mostly intact. The room is filled with tables and chairs piled high with tin plates and cups.

An open door leading to a toilet is in the back room to the left. On the wall the the right is closed door. The staircase before you leads up. The staircase under that leads down.

Neurobomber
2011-06-28, 02:36 AM
Yay! Game is back on track!

The Perfessor strides in to the manor, his feet stepping carefully over some chairs and lifts himself on to a nearby table for a better view. Peering around, he keeps an eye out for any movements in the room while waving for the others to come in.

Behind him a trail of water in the shape of halfling footprints have been left.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-28, 11:49 AM
Dontos follows close behind the adventurers, keeping an eye out for danger.

Discern Realities
[roll0]

What should I be on the lookout for?

Totally Guy
2011-06-28, 11:54 AM
Dontos, ask your question.

:mitd: :mitd:

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-28, 01:19 PM
I did ask my question: What should I be on the look out for?

Am I to take it I should be on the lookout for monsters in the darkness?
intheplayground

Totally Guy
2011-06-28, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I missed it.... Bleh.

You should be on the look out for missed valuables belonging to the late count. These are merely servant's quarters, if anything is abandoned it would be upstairs.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-28, 07:32 PM
These are the count's servants' quarters, Dontos breathes to his companions. I wonder if anything of use was left behind? Possibly upstairs? What say you, Your Wetness?

arrowhen
2011-06-29, 08:29 AM
"if you ask me, it's down we want, where the dungeons are. But as long as we're here, I suppose a quick look around won't hurt."

Maggni bounds up the stairs.

Neurobomber
2011-06-29, 12:24 PM
The Perfessor rolls his eyes and sighs as Maggni sprints his way past him and up the stairs. He leaps off the table with soft splashing noise and carefully works his way up the stairs. His eyes dart slowly yet carefully, inspecting every aspect of the area around him.

Trap Expert: Are there any traps on the stairs and if so, what activates it?

[roll0]

Totally Guy
2011-06-29, 04:22 PM
The Perfessor checks each smooth wooden step one after the other. Apart from the handrail being missing and a nasty blunt hook at the bottom where it once rested not a single trap is to be found.

But the Perfessor unwittingly drips most of his wetness from the dunk he took onto the steps. By the time he reaches to top the staircase is now well and truly a slipping hazard.

Using this staircase is now Defying Danger.

Perfessor, you see skeletons in the room furniture is broken and strewn around chaotically. There was a fight here. The soldiers must have come from below to defend their count. All is still.

A further staircase leads up to the next floor from here. A door ahead leads further into the manor.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-29, 05:45 PM
Perfessor, wait!

Not wanting to miss anything exciting, Dontos trails the Perfessor up the stairs...

Defy Danger!
[roll0]

And stumbles...

Neurobomber
2011-06-30, 02:44 PM
The Perfessor looks behind him to see Dontos struggling up his accidental invention of the slip n' slide staircase. He winces at the sight but soon shrugs it off to find other interests.

He then carefully stoops over the skeleton of a soldier, inspecting the scene more carefully (that is, checking for valuables).

“Perhaps we should inspect this level of the building” The Perfessor says to Maggni, “These soldiers were obviously defend something and I'm sure whatever it was must have been worth their lives! I'm sure it must have been pilfered by its current inhabitants but we might find some evidence of where it might have been taken.”

Carefully The Perfessor makes his way to doorway on this floor, ensuring that his continuing trail of water doesn't make such a significant slip hazard as before.

Taking a lot of actions for this post so if anyone wants to butt in with their character's actions you're more than welcome to.

If everyone else is okay with it, I suggest we take The Perfessor's advice and inspect this floor before moving up. ;-)

Totally Guy
2011-06-30, 05:38 PM
Dontos slips and falls forward.

He suffers 3 harm. Or did his armour save him? If so take a -1 forward to Hack and Slash until it's fixed.

Neurobomber
2011-07-03, 10:55 PM
The Perfessor impatiently taps his feet in the small puddle before him.

"Are you coming along or are you just going to sit by the steps and mope at your booboo?"

Human Paragon 3
2011-07-04, 12:52 PM
Erg.

Dontos struggles up to his feet and trails after the Perfessor.

Totally Guy
2011-07-06, 01:17 AM
Exploring the upper floor you see many bodies long dead. It isn't until you arrive in the back room that you see some kind of shambling movement. Three dead lie against the wall and back corner of the room. They seem to be alive yet rotten as a corpse!

I'm afraid that I will be on my vacation in sunny orange county for the next week and a bit. So I'll not be updating for a while.