PDA

View Full Version : DMing for wife. Need char advice.

danzibr
2011-06-21, 07:43 AM
For my actual question just skip to the end.

So I made a couple other threads involving DMing for my wife (and my wife alone). Right now we've done our first 2 sessions (character creation and, well, the first real session). She got a Wild Cohort (a Cheopard, cross between a Cheetah and Leopard) which currently has 1 HD (it's a baby). It'll grow up to its full HD as my wife levels, then continue along the Wild Cohort progression. Also, it's worth mentioning she's a Cleric, though not very optimized.

She's the only human in a Goliath village. In fact, she's never even seen another human, but she has seen Dwarves, Gnomes, et cetera. She'll hang around her home village until level 3 when... something happens and she leaves. Dunno yet. Her Goliath mom gives her her old father's bastard sword (legacy weapon, modified). Her father brought my wife's char as a baby to the Goliath village then died shortly after. She's led to believe there are only a couple humans left.

So she goes in search of humans. After some questing and whatnot, she finds this place where there's a man in a stasis chamber. In fact, there are two! My plan is for both of them to try to woo her. One will be a straight Psion that's really smart (and kind of arrogant, or at least condescending to the other) and I want the other to be a sort of rogue that has no manner (he'll say things like, "So, you wanna repopulate humans?").

My question is... with my wife a Cleric, her Wild Cohort a Cheopard, one dude a Psion, what type of rogueish character should I have the last guy be? I don't really want to go straight rogue. Perhaps some other base class? Or PrC? The campaign might not get very high level and he'll probably start at level 5.

Post script: it'll turn out there are more humans and whoever she doesn't get with will still have the opportunity to romance.

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-06-21, 07:46 AM
a melee fighter of some type, what is allowed or not allowed?

Telonius
2011-06-21, 07:51 AM
Not too charismatic, but a Rogue-ish character. I'm thinking maybe average intelligence, low-ish wisdom, focused on Strength and Dexterity? Barbarian/Rogue multiclass sounds like it might be what you're looking for, if you want the Rogue mechanics (trapfinding, sneak attack, and lots of skill points). If those don't matter, Barbarian/Fighter or just straight up Barbarian could model what you're going after. He can have a Rogue-ish personality and no levels in Rogue.

Gwendol
2011-06-21, 07:54 AM
Bard? At least it'll give some opportunity for poetry and ballads singing.

One thing about the legacy weapon: will it be medium or large sized? Goliath typically wield Large weapons. On the other hand she could very well have been trained with it thus getting a suitable feat.

danzibr
2011-06-21, 08:03 AM
crazyhedgewizrd: anything goes. It's just the two of us and I feel comfortable with pretty much anything.

Telonius: yeah... straight Barb could work. I wasn't really thinking of the guy being a muscle head, more like a poor imitation of Antonio Banderas. Plus the party has no skill monkey. Still, I'll keep it in mind.

Gwendol: Bard could also work. I don't want him to be very charismatic though. Could that work? And the legacy weapon is a medium bastard sword. Her biological father gave it to her Goliath mother, who has been hanging onto it for the right time (some coming of age thing).

Diarmuid
2011-06-21, 09:33 AM
How bout a beguiler?

Definietely roguish feel but outside the box.

Telonius
2011-06-21, 10:37 AM
Hm, another totally outside-the-box option ... Artificer. Think Barclay from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Maybe he was supposed to be an engineer on the stasis-thingie. He does get trapfinding, and is perfectly good for a skillmonkey. Low-ish Cha would hurt his UMD a little, but that's hardly insurmountable.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-21, 11:51 AM
I think Bard would be nice. If she's not a melee cleric, swap it to a melee class, but I think a buffer would be better since she can melee on her own. A bard can also buff the pet to help keep it safe. If she picked out such an unusual pet, she'll likely want to keep it around and keep it safe.

A sorcerer with decent battle buffs might also work.

Leon
2011-06-21, 12:23 PM
Ranger.

Can do ranged combat
Can do melee combat
Can be a skill monkey (Alternate Feature let it disarm traps)
Can bring a Pet

Fouredged Sword
2011-06-21, 12:49 PM
Yes, but your wife seems like a cat person, what if he is a dog person. That is just a relationship killer right there.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-21, 12:57 PM
As much as she'd probably like kittens, try to avoid producing any with her Wild Cohort. Also, do not describe medieval neutering techniques.

More seriously, a ranger with a good strength score can carry the loot. As for the animal companion, make sure he has one that can get along with hers. Or, he doesn't have one at all, so she feels more special. He's been in a stasis pod, so maybe his animal companion didn't get shoved in there with him. Who puts animals into stasis pods?

Warlawk
2011-06-21, 01:18 PM
Factotum and Scout could both work and 'rogueish' characters. Scount works on an RP level also since he may have spent most of his time out scouting or acting as an outrunner for some military force or township and been alone most of the time, leaving his social skills a bit lacking.

danzibr
2011-06-21, 08:45 PM
Thanks all! I have a few base classes I have to look into (Beguiler and Artificer). I know about them from the forums but never looked that thoroughly.

I'll try to make another post when I make my decision. The Psion is still open... I really want an intelligent standoffish guy and a rowdy guy.