PDA

View Full Version : Ready to play citys

ko_sct
2011-06-21, 09:45 AM
Hello playground.

I'm currently making my own homebrew world (very very very slowly).

And I stumbled upon the city in DMG II and though it would be simple to fit it in my world instend of going around designing a whole new city. Of course its a quite small one. So I'm just going to pretend its the upper class part of the city and its surrounded by residential building and slums that are not really interesting and call it a day.

Being the lazy slob I am, is there any other ready to play city in other books ? That would make my world building a lot more easier.

ClothedInVelvet
2011-06-21, 09:51 AM
Well, Sharn, City of Towers is a ready-made city. But plenty of people don't like that one much.

One thing to consider is to just design the parts they will come into contact with. You don't have to build all of the noble families if your party will only come into contact with one and its rival (two). Your city guard will be important, but your party might never need to go into entire districts.

McSmack
2011-06-21, 10:26 AM
I second using Sharn, as it is an awesome place. However I can understand it's not everyone's cup o' tea.

Sharn is a layer cake of a city, with the quality of life rising as one reaches the tops of the towers. It's vertical stratification makes it a pretty unique place. This can make it more difficult to place in homebrew settings, especially if they aren't super-high-magic settings.

However, the district and zone descriptions are fairly portable, while still remaining in depth enough. I don't think it'd be too much of an issue to apply those districts to a flat city.

Or you could simply make the city more geographically interesting. Instead of just having the city lay on flat ground, have it on the slopes of a mountain. You could maintain the 'towers' feel of Sharn by just having the more well-to-do areas farther up the slope.

Basically it would look something like a larger, grittier Minas Tirith. With more magic.
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/04/minastirith.jpg

KoboldCleric
2011-06-21, 10:37 AM
:smalltongue: Darn You for reminding me of Einstein's Dreams! Now I must go read it again!

Kefkafreak
2011-06-21, 11:13 AM
There's a book called "World's Largest City" which is a huge and detailed city (for D&D). Never read it myself, so I don't know how good it is.

Thurbane
2011-06-21, 09:28 PM
Cityscape has quite a few premade cities, but they don't have anywhere near the level of detail that Saltmarsh does in DMG2.