PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "mention of religion" issue... but with a twist.

John Cribati
2011-06-21, 10:56 AM
Some of you may be aware of the "Say D&D was real" craze of a few months back. Essentially, we're all writing stories of people who got caught in some phenomenon that made the world run on D&D logic.

My characters are a Cleric, Druid, and Paladin. The Cleric class more or less requires (or at the very least suggests such) that a deity to work properly. And as this is supposed to be the "real world," it would make sense that the cleric follows a "Real world" deity.

I am not sure, however, if this counts as "in-game context." Even if it does, I don't plan to state which specific real-world religion she follows, but I'm wondering how far can it can go. Little things like the shape of her holy symbol or setting up her spell slots.

Maxios
2011-06-21, 12:55 PM
As long as it's in the story only, and there's no discussion of it outside of it, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Zherog
2011-06-21, 12:56 PM
This recent thread seems to directly apply to your question.

Zeta Kai
2011-06-21, 01:31 PM
This recent thread seems to directly apply to your question.

Your advice in that thread was to refer to another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203192), which is encroaching upon recursive meta-advice. Refer to X --> Refer to Y --> Refer to Z --> Refer to DON'T DO THAT EVER.

As for the OP, keep it IC-only, keep it vague, & keep it to yourself. That should cover your butt, in case an issue should arise. A mature playgroup (an oxyMoron if I've ever heard one) should be able to handle mature topics, but in order to remain safe, secure, & un-infracted, keep the first sentence of this paragraph in mind at all times. Good luck.

Zherog
2011-06-21, 01:34 PM
Your advice in that thread was to refer to another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203192), which is encroaching upon recursive meta-advice. Refer to X --> Refer to Y --> Refer to Z --> Refer to DON'T DO THAT EVER.

Yes, but way more important than what I said or linked is Roland's red-text reply at the end of the thread.

Roland St. Jude
2011-06-21, 03:07 PM
Sheriff: Yeah, this is pretty well covered by past responses. Keep it fictional, avoid real world references, and err on the side of caution.