PDA

View Full Version : I cant choose!!!!!! [pathfinder]

Rentaromon
2011-06-21, 01:51 PM
Ok i need to make a lvl 8 character in pathfinder, i got 7 levels in soulknife. if i take another level in soulknife i get the ability to attack evereyone around me but thats about it.

But im thinking id me more powerfull if i took a level in another class. So my question is:

what calss should i take a level in?!?! (all classes on pathfinder allowed)

Theodoxus
2011-06-21, 02:17 PM
Is this a one off, or stopping at a certain level? Generally, it's not worth multiclassing in PF unless you have a very specific need - or if you're not going to 20.

Rentaromon
2011-06-21, 03:03 PM
i dont expect to level up anytime soon with him.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-21, 03:22 PM
Can you get into Elocator?

Rentaromon
2011-06-21, 10:10 PM
i thought of elocator but you need to have at least 1 level in a caster class first.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-21, 10:19 PM
No, you don't. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife)

Soulknives And Prestige Classes

Sometimes, a soulknife may qualify for a prestige class with “+1 level of existing manifesting class” as a class feature. This increased psionic training helps those who follow the path of the mind blade as well as the path of the manifester. At each level where a manifester level would increase by one, treat the soulknife as if he had gained a level of soulknife for the purposes of Enhanced Mind Blade. The soulknife does not gain any other benefits from an increased level (blade skills, etc.).

wuwuwu
2011-06-21, 10:23 PM
No, you don't. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife)

Wait, so that means... A Kalashtar Soulknife technically qualifies to become a Thrallherd? AND gets to enhance its mindblade as it does it? Oh gosh, I need to find a Pathfinder group that allows 3.5 setting-specific races in it :o

Fax Celestis
2011-06-21, 10:34 PM
Note that that's only the PF soulknife. The 3.5 one is less useful.

Sir Enigma
2011-06-22, 06:52 AM
It doesn't work for the PF soulknife either, unfortunately - the elocator has a prerequisite of "Able to manifest 1st level powers", which the Soulknife still doesn't fulfil. The sidebar's first sentence, "Sometimes, a soulknife may qualify for a prestige class with “+1 level of existing manifesting class” as a class feature." isn't giving them license to ignore prerequisites, it's just noting that there are classes which give advanced manifesting but do not require ability to manifest powers. Both the Phrenic Slayer and the Psychic Fist give advanced manifesting levels in their progression, but don't require manifesting - just a reserve of one power point, which Soulknives have thanks to the bonus Wild Talent feat. A soulknife (or soulknife/monk, for psychic fist) could qualify for one of these and then apply the increased manifesting as described in that sidebar.

Leon
2011-06-22, 11:10 AM
One level of PsiWar then into Elocator

wuwuwu
2011-06-22, 11:17 AM
It doesn't work for the PF soulknife either, unfortunately - the elocator has a prerequisite of "Able to manifest 1st level powers", which the Soulknife still doesn't fulfil. The sidebar's first sentence, "Sometimes, a soulknife may qualify for a prestige class with “+1 level of existing manifesting class” as a class feature." isn't giving them license to ignore prerequisites, it's just noting that there are classes which give advanced manifesting but do not require ability to manifest powers. Both the Phrenic Slayer and the Psychic Fist give advanced manifesting levels in their progression, but don't require manifesting - just a reserve of one power point, which Soulknives have thanks to the bonus Wild Talent feat. A soulknife (or soulknife/monk, for psychic fist) could qualify for one of these and then apply the increased manifesting as described in that sidebar.

Ahh, I admit I got a little excited when I read that. Too bad Psionic's Unleashed makes it clear soulknife doesn't gain manifester levels, and seemingly has removed Hidden Talent, otherwise much fun could be had with their soulknife. (Don't get me wrong, they can still have fun, but a soulknife/thrallherd would be mad beast, yo)

Rentaromon
2011-06-22, 12:38 PM
well some interesting ideas. i thought of takeing 1 level is psiwarrior then going into that cool p the walls class, but im only going to be lvl 8 and i already plan to use 7 levels in soulknife, so thats out unfortunately.

one idea i had is the alchemist with the vivisectionist arch, so i get a sneak attack the ability to boost my STR by 4 for 10 min and a free potion or 2 and craft potion to boot.

it helps my damage, my ability to hit, and makeing demon blood potions gives me some minor heal for when im not near a healer.

Theodoxus
2011-06-22, 01:53 PM
One level of PsiWar then into Elocator

Or burn a feat on Expanded Knowledge to get the one power required for Elocator.

Andreaz
2011-06-22, 02:03 PM
Or burn a feat on Expanded Knowledge to get the one power required for Elocator.

No. Expanded Knowledge requires a manifester level, which wild talent does not grant.

Psyren
2011-06-22, 06:50 PM
What's wrong with Soulknife 8? Bladewind isn't the only Blade Skill you get access to at that level - there's also Improved Furious Charge, which gives you an extra 1-2 attacks at the end of your charge (depending on if you're dual-wielding or not), and the awesome Reaching Blade.

You should also tell us your race, stats, whether you plan on dual-wielding or 2-handing etc.

Rentaromon
2011-06-22, 07:39 PM
dang i forgot improved furious charge needs lvl 8! well that settles things, i need all soulknife to have my cool rush sword idea.

Psyren
2011-06-22, 08:05 PM
dang i forgot improved furious charge needs lvl 8! well that settles things, i need all soulknife to have my cool rush sword idea.

Glad I could help! (Points suggestively at sig)