PDA

View Full Version : Iaijutsu Focus build

GrinningDemon
2011-06-21, 06:06 PM
Hi I'm building a fighter with Iaijutsu as his main attack. I'm going to take skill focus Iaijutsu just to boost it what should I take any other feats for it to help boost its damage?

Godskook
2011-06-21, 06:21 PM
You should dip into a class that actually gets it as a class skill, like Factotum, and probably follow that with Able Learner(Feat for humans) so that you can keep the ranks up cheaply.

Lateral
2011-06-21, 09:32 PM
You'll probably want to be a Whisper Gnome for ease of sneaking and so you can easily get proficiency with Gnomish Quickrazors so you can use IF with a full attack. Definitely take a few levels of Factotum, you'll need it so you can have IF as a skill.

Thurbane
2011-06-21, 09:37 PM
You should dip into a class that actually gets it as a class skill, like Factotum, and probably follow that with Able Learner(Feat for humans) so that you can keep the ranks up cheaply.
You could also dip into Human Paragon (UA) if you're human - you get to chose any ten skills, and keep any one of those as a permanent class skill. If you take all three levels, it'll also get you a bonus feat and a +2 increase to one ability score. The boost to Will saves wouldn't hurt for a Fighter, either...

You could also use the skills from Human Paragon to take in dip in the Master of Masks PrC (CS) - the Gladiator Mask will get you proficiency in all exotic weapons, including the Gnomish Quickrazor.

Zaq
2011-06-21, 09:39 PM
Remind me what the generally accepted most reliable way of generating flat-footedness after the first round is? Grease or other forced Balance checks, no? I know there are a few skill tricks and a few ToB maneuvers as well, of course, but I forget what the "standard" is.

dextercorvia
2011-06-21, 09:58 PM
Marbles are the one I hear the most.

Person_Man
2011-06-22, 08:06 AM
Remind me what the generally accepted most reliable way of generating flat-footedness after the first round is? Grease or other forced Balance checks, no? I know there are a few skill tricks and a few ToB maneuvers as well, of course, but I forget what the "standard" is.

Win Initiative. Then move in on your enemy and use Underfoot Combat (Races of Stone) and/or Skill Tricks (Complete Scoundrel). My Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) build lists them out. Take Quickdraw (and buy a lot of weapons that you draw and drop) or get proficiency with a Gnomish Quickrazor (Races of Stone). You'll also probably need/want free movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) of some type, like Hustle or Travel Devotion or Knight's Move or Dimension Hop or Anklet of Translocation or Sudden Leap or etc. Invest full ranks in it, pick up an Item Familiar, magic, 1 level of Marshal, or whatever to boost the Skill, and you're set.

Of course, like all damage combos it's self defeating after a point. But at least this one is more creative then Sir Charge-a-lot.

Saintheart
2011-06-22, 08:09 AM
There's also Flick of the Wrist skill trick (IIRC) which allows you to take someone as flatfooted.

EDIT: Never mind, Person Man got it. :)

Metahuman1
2011-06-22, 10:22 AM
A Master work tool get's you a +2.

An Item Familiar gives you a hugh bonus on skill checks, so look into that. Make sure you spend the money to make it as hard as possible too wreck.

There's an order described in Complete champion that gives you bonuses to a skill of your choice as you progress. I'd invest in that heavily.

Winning initiative is good for this build, plan accordingly. Marbles and Skill tricks will also help. ToB is also good IF the Dm will go for it.

There's apprentice feats in the DMG II that let you pick up a skill and keep it as a class skill for your progression, take advantage of this too use a bull BAB class for this build.

Either the Gnome Quick razor or a throwing build that let's you use multiple thrown weapons are gonna be your best friend for this build. I Recommend looking at Master thrower or Hulking Hurler from Complete Warrior, as either or even both could be helpful.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-22, 10:56 AM

You could also dip into Human Paragon (UA) if you're human - you get to chose any ten skills, and keep any one of those as a permanent class skill. If you take all three levels, it'll also get you a bonus feat and a +2 increase to one ability score. The boost to Will saves wouldn't hurt for a Fighter, either...

You could also use the skills from Human Paragon to take in dip in the Master of Masks PrC (CS) - the Gladiator Mask will get you proficiency in all exotic weapons, including the Gnomish Quickrazor.

Humans: For when you want skills and you want the now.

You'll probably want to be a Whisper Gnome for ease of sneaking and so you can easily get proficiency with Gnomish Quickrazors so you can use IF with a full attack. Definitely take a few levels of Factotum, you'll need it so you can have IF as a skill.

Whisper gnomes: For when you want to stab stuff and screw up low-level spellcasters.

But which is better? There's only one way to find out...

Lateral
2011-06-22, 11:16 AM
Honestly, you're probably best off just being a Whisper Gnome Factotum so you get those skills and the skill points to keep them up, and you can still take advantage of Whisper Gnome's DEX and CON boosts, its massive Hide and Move Silently bonuses, and ease of getting quickrazors. Dips in other classes won't hurt your IF, as long as they're just dips, so you won't need Able Learner.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-22, 01:37 PM
Honestly, you're probably best off just being a Whisper Gnome Factotum so you get those skills and the skill points to keep them up, and you can still take advantage of Whisper Gnome's DEX and CON boosts, its massive Hide and Move Silently bonuses, and ease of getting quickrazors. Dips in other classes won't hurt your IF, as long as they're just dips, so you won't need Able Learner.

Damn it, yet another Whisper Gnome Factotum suggestion. I really must get hold of that unused sheet. It feels unloved.

JaronK
2011-06-22, 01:46 PM
Whispergnome Factotum really is the perfect IF concept... it has it as a class skill, it gets Quickrazor proficiency free, and it's a solid skills class.

With that said, one can't forget Iaijutsu Master for the MASSIVE damage boost to IF damage that you get at level 5, though it does require Cha. Human Paragon of course can give you the skill as a class skill always, while Factotum + Able Learner can also do it (if you were planning to leave the class eventually).

And note that there's a first level Diamond Mind maneuver that flat foots enemies. I tend to use Sapphire Nightmare Blade, going first, surprise rounds, marbles, grease, cowering enemies via Imperious Command before they can act, and Blurstrike weapons as my primary methods of flat footing enemies. You could make a wacky fear based IF character with Zhentarium Fighter 9/Factotum or OA Samurai 1/Iaijutsu Master 5/Dishonorable Dread Pirate 5... the build matures late (and many things do get fear immunity at higher levels), but you could AoE cower all enemies in the area for Cha mod rounds as a swift action, then take them apart with Iaijutsu. Also, you'd be a Samurai Pirate, so you must be at least a little awesome.

JaronK