PDA

View Full Version : Stonelord Fix (WIP)

Codemus
2011-06-21, 07:01 PM
Okay, the Stonelord is pretty much regarded by everybody (where I've seen it mentioned anyway) as very flavorful but kinda... wonky. Just a bunch of 1/day abilities crammed into ten levels. Well, I've been looking at it, and I came to the realization that it doesn’t take very much to make it a little more competitive with other dorfish options.

So here is my take on the Stonelord. If anybody has some more changes that would make things more streamline, or more content to jam in there feel free to speak up.

Stonelord

Hit Die: d8

Requirements:
Race: Dwarf
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Craft (Stoneworking) 6 ranks, Speak Language (Terran)
Feats: Improved Toughness
Special: The character must undergo an arduous ritual involving immersion in sacred loam, long fasting periods deep underground, and the ingestion of 1,000 gp worth of powdered gemstones. The gem type chosen is then the stonelord’s totem gem, and she must carry that type of stone with her at all times to access the spell-like abilities she gains as a stonelord.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0| Earth’s Blood

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0| Stone Power 1/day

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1| Stone Shape

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1| Stone Power 2/day

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1| Meld into stone

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2| Stone Power 3/day

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2| Stone Tell

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2| Stone Power 4/day

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3| Earthquake

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Stone Power 5/day
[/table]

Class Skills:
Climb (str), Concentration (con), Craft (int), Knowledge (geography) (int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (int), Profession (wis), Spot (wis), and Survival (wis).
Skill points at each level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Stonelords gain no proficiencies.

Earth’s Blood (Sp): Once per day per class level, a stonelord can take a standard action to heal her own wounds using a clump of mud. This ability heals 1d8 hit points per stonelord level.

Stone Power: Starting at second level, a stonelord gains access to a variety of special abilities. A stonelord can use her stone power abilites once per day, increasing by one use per day at every even-numbered level. These abilities share usage (e.g. a 6th level stonelord can use Earthgrip three times a day, or Earthgrip, Gravity, and Earth's Strength). Unless otherwise noted, the stonelord uses her class level as caster level for these effects (the save DCs are Constitution-based). Using one of these abilities is a standard action unless otherwise noted.

Stone Power Abilities:

Earthgrip (Sp): A stonelord can use hold monster on any target touching the ground. If the opponent is waterborne, the stonelord cannot affect the creature with the spell.

Earth Magic (Su): A spell cast by a stonelord under the effects of this ability (assuming she can cast spells) is considered maximized as if prepared with the Maximize Spell feat, althought the spell’s level is unaffected. The spell’s level cannot be higher than the class level of the stonelord. Using this ability is a free action.

Earth’s Endurance (Sp): A stonelord can use this ability to grant herself a boost to her Constitution score as if she were affected by a Bear’s Endurance spell for 1 hour.

Earth’s Strength (Sp): A stonelord can use this ability to grant herself a boost to her Strength score as if she were affected by a Bull’s Strength spell for 1 hour.

Earth Power (Su): Once per day, all melee attacks made in a single round by a stonelord with this ability gain a +2 bonus on the attack roll and deal an extra 2d6 points of damage on a successful hit. These bonuses increase based on the stonelords class level: 6th level, +3 and 3d6; 10th level, +4 and 4d6. Using this ability is a free action.

Soften Earth and Stone (Sp): A stonelord can use soften earth and stone as the spell.

Earth Shadows (Su): A stonelord can use this ability to create a figment of a Medium earth elemental that appears in a flanking position adjacent to the stonelord’s opponent for 1 round. This ability allows the stonelord to make flanking attacks (+2 to hit, can make a sneak attack if such an ability is available) against that opponent during that round. Using this ability is a free action.

Gravity (Sp): A stonelord can use a slow effect (as the spell).

Stoneskin (Sp): A stonelord using this ability can give herself the benefit of a stoneskin spell (caster level equal to the stonelord’s class level). The character must provide the material component as if she were actually casting the spell.

Summon Earth Elemental (Sp): A stonelord using this ability can summon an earth elemental as if she had cast a summon monster spell. The size of the summoned earth elemental depends on the stonelord’s class level, as follows: 1st-3rd, Small; 4th-6th, Medium; 7th-9th, Large; 10th, Huge.

Stone Shape (Sp): Once per day, a stonelord of 3rd level or higher can use a stone shape effect (caster level equal to the stonelord’s class level).

Meld into stone (Sp): Once per day per class level, a stonlord of 5th level or higher can use a meld into stone effect (caster level equal to the stonelord’s class level).

Stone Tell (Sp): Once per day, a stonelord of 7th level or higher can speak with stone as if she had cast stone tell (caster level equal to the stonelord’s class level).

Earthquake (Sp): Once per day, a stonelord of 9th level or higher can use an earthquake effect (caster level equal to the stonelord’s class level).

Stonelord Change log:
Changed earth’s Blood from Once per day to Once per day per class level.

I changed Stone Power from selecting a special ability from a list at every even level (each usable once a day), to the stonelord having access to all of those abilities starting at 2nd level only limited a number of times per day equal to the number of times Stone Power shows up on the table (e.g. Stone Power 1/day at 2nd level, Stone Power 4/day at 8th).

Bumped up the skill points per level to 4, up from 2.

Changed the skill Knowledge (Any) to Knowledge (Geography). Fluffy

Removed Earth’s Shadows and Put in its place Soften Earth and Stone.

Improved Earth’s Power to scale with level.

Added Knowledge (dungeoneering) to class skills.

Replaced Endurance with Improved Toughness in the requirements.

Added Earth's Shadows back to Stone Power list.

Followed Jiriku's advice and buffed up the healing from Earth's Blood.

DracoDei
2011-06-21, 10:27 PM
In groups with access to one of the correct splat books I suggest replacing the Earthgrip option with Stony Grasp (perhaps Extended or with an increased strength score).

Is True Seeing effective against Earth's Shadows? It seems like it would be. Also, it is odd it doesn't allow a Will save (although it could be argued they aren't interacting with it). I would make it a real earth elemental, same as the Desert Wind maneuver you seem to have based it on.

Codemus
2011-06-21, 11:23 PM
In groups with access to one of the correct splat books I suggest replacing the Earthgrip option with Stony Grasp (perhaps Extended or with an increased strength score).

Huh, yeah that could work. I'll go look it up.

Is True Seeing effective against Earth's Shadows? It seems like it would be. Also, it is odd it doesn't allow a Will save (although it could be argued they aren't interacting with it). I would make it a real earth elemental, same as the Desert Wind maneuver you seem to have based it on.

Well, I can't take credit for it. That is one of the unchanged parts, and none of my doing. It does seen kinda weird though. I don't think making it a real summon would do much good however, since it can already do that. Perhaps I could just remove it and throw in another earth spell? Stone to mud perhaps? I always wondered where you were suppost to get mud when your underground (as most dwarfs are).

EDIT: Okay, looked up that spell, then looking further there was an upgrade to it. Stony Grasp, as Earthen Grasp but could be used on unworked rock as well as the others. So on one hand there is Hold Monster, not an earth spell but it does alright. On the other is Stony Grasp, dosen't immediately stop them, but actualy summons a giant stone hand that punches and grabs things. :smallcool: I think Stony Grasp wins due to awesome, plus being an earth spell adds weight.

DracoDei
2011-06-22, 11:35 AM
I did SAY Stony Grasp not the lower-level one.
Was the "casting time" for the flanker lower than for the summons in the original by any chance?

Codemus
2011-06-22, 01:29 PM
I did SAY Stony Grasp not the lower-level one.
Was the "casting time" for the flanker lower than for the summons in the original by any chance?

Oh, hah. Okay, I missed that. :smallredface:

It was a free action to use and lasted for a round.

DracoDei
2011-06-22, 07:14 PM
It was a free action to use and lasted for a round.
Right, so that would be something that could actually compete with a Standard action summons, since this is a melee-ish class, and sometimes that flanking bonus for yourself (or, more likely in gameplay terms, a rogue ally) is worth more than a weak combatant. This is especially true against glass-cannon type enemies who you want to kill THIS round (now that you have gotten past their minions or illusions or whatever kept you from smashing them the FIRST round).

Codemus
2011-06-22, 11:57 PM
Hmm, intresting. So its worth holding onto then? Before giving all the Stone Powers a collective use-per-day, Earth Shadows was Once per day per class level rather than just once per day. Using it to get a flanking bonus would now take up a usage of Stone Power, and it doesn’t seem like it holds up against the other stone powers (which might be better options tactically). *shrug* I'll just throw it back into the list, and the player can choose to use it or not.

Oh, and I thought up another thing to add in. Three abilities that as you take levels in stonelord turn you more into an elemental. I don't have specifics yet, but I'll get them written up later.

At 1st level would be Stone Aspect. Something to give the character some earthy traits. I'm thinking something like a reduced need to breathe as well as allowing the character to gain nutrients from eating rocks. Not completely replacing normal food yet, but reducing the need for normal food. Also throw in a +1 bonus to Strength and Constitution. Maybe just Con.

At 5th would be Stone Body. For this one, they pick up damage reduction. Probably just 2/Adamantine. Also, now the character can subsist entirely on a diet of rocks, with no need for water or air. The ability score bonuses would both increase to +2 as well.

And at 10th would be Stone Soul. The damage reduction would increase to 5/Adamantine & Magic, the ability score bonuses would go up to +3, and the character gains the Earth subtype.

Not set in stone :smallbiggrin: or anything, still trying to get a good balance with them. What do you think?

DracoDei
2011-06-23, 01:40 PM
I think that that might logically require very hard teeth and a very strong jaw... increased bite damage (but always functions as non-proficient and provoke AoOs?) also, counting as a magic item maybe (don't know if it helps) and adamantine eventually could work... just because CHEWING your way through solid stone is fun. Or maybe just have it start out bypassing the hardness of non-magical stone/earth, then even enchanted stone/earth later.

Am I killing a catgirl? Probably.

Did she die in vane? I leave that up to you to decide.

jiriku
2011-06-23, 02:09 PM
Recommendations:

It's dark underground, and darkvision only goes so far. Your sense of hearing is more valuable. That's reason enough to put Listen on the class skill list for me. And I'd add Knowledge (dungeoneering) back in, fo sho. Jump and Swim also make a lot of sense for a guy running around in the Underdark. Lots of chasms to cross and underground streams to ford.

Replace the Endurance prerequisite (a fluff feat if ever there was one), with Improved Toughness (useful and thematically appropriate).

Earth's Blood is weak and ineffective. I suggest that it heal 1d8 per two character levels, or 1d8 per Stonelord level if you dislike scaling a PrC ability with character level.

Codemus
2011-06-23, 05:35 PM
Recommendations:

It's dark underground, and darkvision only goes so far. Your sense of hearing is more valuable. That's reason enough to put Listen on the class skill list for me. And I'd add Knowledge (dungeoneering) back in, fo sho. Jump and Swim also make a lot of sense for a guy running around in the Underdark. Lots of chasms to cross and underground streams to ford.

Replace the Endurance prerequisite (a fluff feat if ever there was one), with Improved Toughness (useful and thematically appropriate).

Earth's Blood is weak and ineffective. I suggest that it heal 1d8 per two character levels, or 1d8 per Stonelord level if you dislike scaling a PrC ability with character level.

Ah, great ideas.

Hmm... well using all charges (of Earth's Blood) at max level would heal for 10d8+100. A little pick me up (since you'd be level 15 at that point) but it dosen't do a healers job for them.

So lets see, if it increased every two Stonelord levels, it would end up at 5d8+10 per usage. So using all of them would total up to 50d8+100 hp returned. But then they would be out of Earth's Blood usage for that day. Seems legit. I don't how well that balances, but it dosen't seem too strong all the same.

I think that that might logically require very hard teeth and a very strong jaw... increased bite damage (but always functions as non-proficient and provoke AoOs?) also, counting as a magic item maybe (don't know if it helps) and adamantine eventually could work... just because CHEWING your way through solid stone is fun. Or maybe just have it start out bypassing the hardness of non-magical stone/earth, then even enchanted stone/earth later.

Am I killing a catgirl? Probably.

Did she die in vane? I leave that up to you to decide.

Huh, a bite attack. Yeah, I guess the character could get a minor one.

And yeah, I was thinking that because of the ritual, their bones (and teeth) turned into a stone like material. Then when they get Earthen body, their skin changes to something akin to sandstone. That psudo-flesh color grity texture material. Then finaly,, with Earthen Soul, they completely turn to various stone materials. Like, their blood literaly becomes mud, their bones become metalic, and their eyes turn into the same gem type as their totem gem. That way they no longer have to carry around gems at all times.

jiriku
2011-06-23, 06:45 PM
Hmm... well using all charges (of Earth's Blood) at max level would heal for 10d8+100. A little pick me up (since you'd be level 15 at that point) but it dosen't do a healers job for them.

So lets see, if it increased every two Stonelord levels, it would end up at 5d8+10 per usage. So using all of them would total up to 50d8+100 hp returned. But then they would be out of Earth's Blood usage for that day. Seems legit. I don't how well that balances, but it dosen't seem too strong all the same.

I was thinking you'd drop the +x mod to the die roll altogether. Thus, at max level you'd get 10d8 per use (average 45), for a total of 100d8 per day (average 450). That's potent enough to be used in combat, although not nearly as effective as a heal spell, for example. It's also enough healing for you to take care of your own wounds outside of combat. "Don't worry about me, I've got some mud!"

Codemus
2011-06-23, 07:30 PM
I was thinking you'd drop the +x mod to the die roll altogether. Thus, at max level you'd get 10d8 per use (average 45), for a total of 100d8 per day (average 450). That's potent enough to be used in combat, although not nearly as effective as a heal spell, for example. It's also enough healing for you to take care of your own wounds outside of combat. "Don't worry about me, I've got some mud!"

Ah, I got you. That works well. Oh, and here is a rough draft of that earthen stuff:

Stone’s Aspect (Ex): As a reaction to the rituals necessary to forge a connection with the earth, the stonelord’s body starts to change. The most obvious of these changes are the stonelord’s teeth. Their teeth, and indeed all of their bones, are transformed into a dense stone like material. This gives them a secondary bite attack that provokes an attack of opportunity, dealing 1d4 plus 1 / 2 the stonelords strength modifier. This bite attack ignores the hardness of all stone and earth, weather worked or unworked.

The changes go further than that, as it also gives the stonelord a +1 bonus to both their Strength and Constitution scores. They also gain the ability to ingest rocks, thanks to their strong teeth and changed digestive system. This does not completely remove the need for regular food, but at least half of their regular food intake must be rocks of some kind. And yes, each rock has a different ‘flavor’ depending on type.

Stone’s Body (Ex): The changes to the stonelord’s body are now nearly complete. Their skin has become a gritty, flesh colored stone akin to sandstone though it is far more durable. This grants them damage reduction of 2/Adamantine. Their bones and teeth have changed once again, gaining a metallic luster. Their bite attack is now more powerful, dealing 1d6 plus their full strength modifier. The bonuses to their strength and constitution increase to +2 as well.

They can now subsist entirely on rocks and other minerals, and in fact must to continue living. They no longer need to breath or drink water however, so given a ready supply of rocks they can live anywhere.

Stone’s Soul (Ex): The changes that have been happening to the stonelord’s body have become complete. Their hide changes to a darker material, more akin to granite in coloration and durability than before. Their damage reduction increases to 5/Adamantine & Magic, and their ability score bonuses go up to +3 each. The stonelord’s bite becomes more powerful as well, now dealing 1d8 plus 1-1/2 their strength modifier.

DracoDei
2011-06-23, 09:33 PM
Looks good. You might want to re-emphasize that it continues to provoke AoOs, and specify in the first place that Improved Unarmed Strike and the like DON'T negate that. It should be an outside of combat thing (or you could MAYBE talk your GM into letting you go Mike Tyson in a grapple, but the character probably has better things to do) and believe me players WILL find uses for it.

Codemus
2011-06-25, 10:20 PM
Looks good. You might want to re-emphasize that it continues to provoke AoOs, and specify in the first place that Improved Unarmed Strike and the like DON'T negate that. It should be an outside of combat thing (or you could MAYBE talk your GM into letting you go Mike Tyson in a grapple, but the character probably has better things to do) and believe me players WILL find uses for it.

Okay, I made a few changes to the wording of those abilities, plus added in a few more things.

Stone’s Aspect (Ex): As a reaction to the rituals necessary to forge a connection with the earth, the stonelord’s body starts to change. The most obvious of these changes are the stonelord’s teeth. Their teeth, and indeed all of their bones, are transformed into a dense stone like material. This gives them a secondary bite attack that provokes an attack of opportunity, dealing 1d4 plus 1 / 2 the stonelords strength modifier. This bite attack ignores the hardness of all stone and earth, whether worked or unworked.

The changes go further than that, as it also gives the stonelord a +1 bonus to both their Strength and Constitution scores. In addition, they gain the ability to ingest rocks, thanks to their strong teeth and altered digestive system. This does not completely remove the need for regular food, but at least half of their regular food intake must be rocks of some kind. And yes, each rock has a different ‘flavor’ depending on type.

Stone’s Body (Ex): The changes to the stonelord’s body are now nearly complete. Their skin has become a gritty, flesh colored stone akin to sandstone though it is far more durable. This grants them damage reduction of 2/Adamantine. Their bones and teeth have changed once again, gaining a metallic luster. Their bite attack is now more powerful, dealing 1d6 plus their full strength modifier, though it still grants attacks of opportunity. The bonuses to their strength and constitution increase to +2 as well.

They can now subsist entirely on rocks and other minerals, and in fact must to continue living. They no longer need to breath or drink water however, so given a ready supply of rocks they can live anywhere.

Stone’s Soul (Ex): The changes that have been happening to the stonelord’s body have become complete. Their hide changes to a darker material, more akin to granite in coloration and durability than before. Their damage reduction increases to 5/Adamantine & Magic, and their ability score bonuses go up to +3 each.

The stonelord’s bite becomes more powerful as well, now dealing 1d8 plus 1-1/2 their strength modifier, still granting attacks of opportunity. Thanks to the changes to their body, the stonelord is now effectively immortal. They no longer age, and are immune to all ageing effects, disease, and poisons. The stonelord keeps any age penalties they already have, but the bonuses still accrue however. So long as the stonelord continues to eat rocks, they can live forever (barring violent death).

Specificaly, I put in that the bite contiues to grant attacks of opportunity. I also added immunities and immortality. Though... I guess I could just give them something like Outsider and elemental traits. Hmm, I need to go look those up and see what they do.