PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Core Only Rogue

Rasman
2011-06-21, 08:24 PM
I'm getting ready to play in an interesting PF game. It's a homebrewed setting, but uses PF rules as the system. I'm essentially playing an Apache Indian Scout, but I'm having a hard time choosing feats and skills to fill out this concept because it is Core only.

So far I've decided on Two-Weapon Fighting since the Apache are known for their skills with a dagger and they did some of their best work with two blades.

:::Feats:::
Human Feat - Two-Weapon Fighting
Feat Level 1 - Improved Initiative
Feat Level 3 - Combat Reflexes
Feat Level 5 -
Feat Level 7 -
Feat Level 9 - Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Feat Level 11 -
Feat Level 13 -
Feat Level 15 -
Feat Level 17 -
Feat Level 19 -

:::Rogue Talents:::
RT Level 2 - Finesse Rogue (Gain Weapon Finesse as a Feat)
RT Level 4 - Fast Stealth
RT Level 6 -
RT Level 8 -
RT Level 10 -
RT Level 12 -
RT Level 14 -
RT Level 16 -
RT Level 18 -
RT Level 20 -

I'll update this part of the post as I make decisions.

I'm really dancing around with a lot of thoughts, but not really pulling in anything that makes me go "oh wow...I need that..."

Any thoughts about "as a rogue that can only use core, you need THIS"?

:::Top Consideration for Feats and Talents:::

:::Talents:::
Bleeding Attack, Fast Stealth, Finesse Rogue, Resiliency, Stand Up, Trap Spotter, Weapon Training, Combat Trick

:::Advanced Talents:::
Crippling Strike, Opportunist, Slippery Mind, Feat

:::Feats:
Two-Weapon Fighting Chain, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Greater Disarm, Combat Reflexes, Improved Critical, Dodge, Wind Stance, Lightning Stance, Great Fortitude and Iron Will/Improved, Quick Draw

Infernalbargain
2011-06-21, 09:45 PM
If you're up for it, the major magic talent is quite handy. A couple of very good ones from core are charm person, disguise self, silent image, true strike, and shield. If you could talk GM into allowing APG, I'd strongly suggest vanish to help with those sneak attacks. Probably pick up prestidigitation, mage hand, or ghost sound for the minor magic.

Rasman
2011-06-21, 10:27 PM
If you're up for it, the major magic talent is quite handy. A couple of very good ones from core are charm person, disguise self, silent image, true strike, and shield. If you could talk GM into allowing APG, I'd strongly suggest vanish to help with those sneak attacks. Probably pick up prestidigitation, mage hand, or ghost sound for the minor magic.

I considered that, but then it occurred to me that that's what our party caster is for. I'd actually do it for vanish, but the DM is pretty set on a Core Only game, so there's no dice.

El Dorado
2011-06-22, 09:51 AM
Consider Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot for when you have to break out the short bow. Quick Draw is also useful when switching from bow to blades---or just chucking daggers at the occasional runner. Mounted Combat and Ride By Attack could be fun later on if you expect to do fighting from horseback.

Kilbourne
2011-06-22, 03:34 PM
I'd recommend taking a level or two in fighter, and perhaps in ranger as well, in order to round out your BAB, skill list, and gain more favorable feats.

Unless you are dead-set on your sneak-attacking, it's not a bad idea at all to focus on the switch-hitting ranger style, with a bow and 2H-sword, and complementing that with your rogue talents.

McSmack
2011-06-22, 04:41 PM
Feats: Double Slice, Two Weapon Rend. I would recommend against Wind/Lightning Stance, they seem pretty conditional.

truthfully you might do better going with several levels of fighter or ranger. Going with 3 levels of ranger would get you favored enemy, TWF, and your terrain bonus, which is nice, plus better BAB and saves. Then you could go rogue for a bit, perhaps take a level dip in Shadowdancer for Hide in Plain Sight.

Definitely see if you can get access to the APG, if just for the rogue/ranger archetypes. There's some stuff in there that's right up your alley - specifically the Skirmisher ranger archetype and and the Scout rogue archetype.

Rasman
2011-06-23, 06:48 AM
I think I'm going to dip back and forth between rogue and ranger, it does fit the character quite well and gets me some nice weapon proficiencies, not to mention armor as well

something along the lines of Rogue 13/Ranger7. Not in that order, mind you, but totaled out.

NamelessNPC
2011-06-23, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure if it is from Core or APG, but I've used Step Up to greate results. I didn't pick Following Step or Step Up And Strike, mainly because I didn't want to spend 3 feats, but you could try them if you aren't feat strained

Kilbourne
2011-06-23, 07:21 PM
I think I'm going to dip back and forth between rogue and ranger, it does fit the character quite well and gets me some nice weapon proficiencies, not to mention armor as well

That's a great idea. You'll also get some spells out of Ranger, but not a very high caster level -- focus on utility and long-term buff spells. Magical knack is a great trait for stuff like this, as it raises your caster level for a specific class by +2. Spells are good, spells are fun, spells make you happy. Plus you can get some awesome spirit-guide flavor out of it.

If you are in a campaign without traits, just take the feat Extra Traits, and grab that trait as well as another that appeals to you.