PDA

View Full Version : Red Raider

JackRackham
2011-06-21, 11:51 PM
I needed a pirate prestige class for a character I'd once played as an NPC, but which I was re-purposing as a rival (CG) for the PCs (Good party) in my campaign and his crew. I looked into Scarlet Corsair and Dread Pirate, of course, but they weren't quite what I wanted, so I basically combined the two, coming away with something more powerful, maybe, but definitely better tailored to the character's role. I think I did so without making the class inherently OP, but wondered what everyone would think.

This class is supposed to be a kind of Robin-Hood type Pirate, though it can easily be adapted to a slaver, privateer or most types of pirate. The class is supposed to rely on trickery to get ahead. A red raider lies, cajoles and intimidates to avoid a fight. Failing that, he'll feint and sneak attack to gain the upper hand in the early goings of a fight.

The class is intended for Rogues or Swashbuckler types. Within my campaign world, the only way to gain the class is to join (Jack Rackham, a rogue-swashbuckler-Red Raider) the character's crew and train under him. I imagine in another world it would require 4 ranks of profession sailor, maybe 8 ranks in Bluff and Intimidate, possibly a couple feats (some possibilities are dodge, mobility, combat reflexes, combat expertise), and proficiency with a rapier and light armor.

(the formatting on this will be awful. I don't have Word, so I can't figure out how to make a table, but here goes)

Red Raider

Full BAB, d10, good reflex save, poor fort and will saves (as w/ corsair and dread pirate), 6 skill points/lvl.

Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Royalty), Knowledge (Local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession (Sailor), Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope.

@ 1st lvl:
Improved Feint - Feint as a move action.
Kid Gloves - May choose lethal or nonlethal damage w/ melee weapons w/o penalty.
Ambidextrous - May treat either hand as off hand. May change hands at any time as free action.
@ 2nd lvl:
Sneak Attack +1d6
Sea Legs - Add class levels as an insight bonus to profession (sailor) checks.
@ 3rd lvl:
Corsair's Feint - Feint as a free action.
Acrobatic Charge - Charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or through the squares occupied by allies blocking his path.
@ 4th lvl:
Two-Weapon Fighting - Characters w/ Two-Weapon Fighting gain Improved Two-Weapon Fighting instead.
Sailor's Step +2 - Dodge bonus to AC when fighting on ship in light armor.
@5th lvl:
Steady Stance - Not considered flat-footed while balancing or climbing, adds class level as a bonus on Balance or Climb checks to remain balancing or climbing when taking damage.
Sneak Attack +2d6
@6th lvl:
Scourge of the Seas - May use Intimidate to demoralize enemies within 30 ft who can see and hear him for a number of rounds equal to CHA modifier. Multiple uses don't stack.
Rep +2 - A bonus to Diplomacy checks with 'common' people due to 'Robin-Hood' reputation. Bonus also applies to Intimidation checks when robbing or extorting someone.
@7th lvl:
Sailor's Step +4 - Dodge bonus to AC when fighting on ship in light armor.
@8th lvl:
Sneak Attack +3d6
Rep +4 - A bonus to Diplomacy checks with 'common' people due to 'Robin-Hood' reputation. Bonus also applies to Intimidation checks when robbing or extorting someone.
@9th lvl:
Skill Mastery - Has mastered the skills Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble to the extent that he can take 10 with them even under stress.
@10th lvl:
Sneak Attack +4d6
Rep +6 - A bonus to Diplomacy checks with 'common' people due to 'Robin-Hood' reputation. Bonus also applies to Intimidation checks when robbing or extorting someone.

Kellus
2011-06-22, 01:12 AM
As you said, it looks like you've basically combined the two prestige classes into one, and as a result I think you've kind of lost focus on what kind of class you're making. This sort of thing happens a lot when you're designing a class to suit a single character instead of using a class as a tool to build a character.

In case you're interested, I have a corsair base class here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69023) which might interest you. :smallsmile:

JackRackham
2011-06-22, 09:05 PM
That's an interesting class for an NPC or for a PC in an entirely nautical campaign. I wanted something more applicable to a broader world of marauding and adventuring and conning. Basically, I was looking to put together a beefier rogue prestige class (because I made it beefier, I suppose it works just as well for a Swashbuckler or Fighter...I considered making it a d8 class among other things) that is simply specialized to nautical adventures the way a Ranger is especially useful in a forest, for example. I guess this is born largely out of my opinion that the rogue prestige classes suck...or at least that they don't fit with most of my character concepts.

As to the rest of your comment, what do you mean by a loss of focus? Do you simply mean that this is not specialized enough, or maybe that the class is not unique enough?