PDA

View Full Version : Instances of Sources of Spellcasting etc for one Character

FyreByrd
2011-06-22, 04:19 AM
Disclaimer: I know this is a weird question...humour me!

I'm undertaking a project for my RL group, and I've come up against a query, that I've split into a number of different queries for ease of handling. Hopefully I'll explain it well enough that everyone can understand the question(s).

Consider that you are building a character, that is at a level between 1-20 (so no epic). This character could have an optimisation level of anywhere between taking toughness for all his feats, to being pun pun. Gestalt is also an option so a Wizard//Archivist is possible.

Q1) How many instances of DIFFERENT sources of spellcasting is reasonably possible in one character

Definitions

Different Sources

A source of spellcasting is defined as being able to gain spells from class features. so for instance a Wizard 5/sorc 5 has two different sources of spellcasting. A wizard 5/incantatrix 5/cleric 5 still has two different sources of spellcasting. A wizard 5/Archivist 5/cleric 5 has three different sources of spellcasting

Spellcasting

Arcane or divine spells, this does not include:
Invocations
infusions
Manifesting(Psionics)
Incarnum
Manouvers
Auras
*Although see below for secondary questions

Reasonably possible

I realise that it's quite possible to have a Wizard 1/Sorc 1/DreadNecro 1/Archivist 1/Cleric 1/Warmage 1/etc.. and thus have 20 instances of different spellcasting - that is not reasonably possible.

Reasonably possible means that is likely to happen in normal gameplay, and possibly in Theoretical optimisation (I would assume that in TO, it would be less sources of spellcasting anyway)

Q2)How many instances of DIFFERENT sources of manifesting is reasonably possible in one character

Q3)How many instances of DIFFERENT sources of Manouvers is reasonably possible in one character

Q4)How many instances of DIFFERENT sources of Invocations is reasonably possible in one character

Q5)How many instances of DIFFERENT sources of Auras is reasonably possible in one character

Q6)How many instances of DIFFERENT sources of Incarnum is reasonably possible in one character

Q7)How many PrC's give unique spellcasting/manifesting etc. For example the Assassin PrC has a unique spell list, whereas other PrC's merely "+1 to your current spellcasting class"

My Answers:

Q1) I think 3 sources of spellcasting is reasonable, even with a fairly convluted build it's unlikely that you would need more (unless the answer to q7 is much higher than I think)
Q2)I would guess at 2 sources here, mainly because I wouldn't have thought that mix & matching psionic classes would be that useful (why a Psion/wilder?)
Q3)3 sources again, mainly for those going Warblade x/Crusader x/Swordsage x/ Master of nine x
Q4)Invocations wise the only classes I can think of are DFA, and Warlock, so I'd guess the absolute max would be 2
Q5)Again I can only think of two classes that use auras, Marshal/Dragon shamen, so 2 would be the max here also
Q6)Again as with Psionics not sure how useful mixing Incarnum classes would be plus soulborn doesn't exist so I'd guess at 2 max
Q7)The only PrC's that give unique spellcasting etc that I can think of are Assassin, and Blackguard, but please correct me

bear in mind I'm not looking for builds, just a set of reasonable numbers from the questions, my answers are to guide you in my thinking...I'm LOOKING to be proved wrong here!

Also the ToM classes have no place in this discussion (mainly as their all unique, and fit into no boxes except their own)

Thanks in advance.