PDA

View Full Version : First or third person?

Show
2011-06-22, 01:26 PM
So I'm just wondering about etiquette in your IRL games, playground. I know that the dnd stereotype, and the one used in PbP games online, is speaking in third person: "Dave the Hero charges into the room, hefting his massive axe with no more effort than a lawyer with his briefcase."

Whereas in my IRL group, we speak thusly: "I charge into the room, hefting my massive axe with no more effort than a lawyer with his briefcase."

Or, more colloquially, "Dude, I totally just run into the room with my axe."

Now, in addition, I was recently considering the narrative difference between the two. I have come to the belief that the third-person narration style would encourage better RP via putting the players in an objective perspective, making them feel as though they have more control over the game as a whole and allowing them to dictate the effects of their actions as well as just saying that they will [do action].

So I've two questions:
1) Which style of narration do you use?
and
2) Is one style more conductive to storytelling and roleplaying than the other?
If you feel like you need another question, I'd also like to ask: 3) Do you think that it is beneficial to switch between first and third-person narration?

Any comments or ideas are greatly appreciated, of course. My ideas are still fairly young and untested...

RndmNumGen
2011-06-22, 01:28 PM
1) I use first person in both settings.
2) I feel first-person helps people get into their roles better, and thus creates a better story. Third-person may work better for observers, though.
3) Nope.
4) I prefer lemon meringue.

Show
2011-06-22, 01:34 PM
1) I use first person in both settings.
2) I feel first-person helps people get into their roles better, and thus creates a better story. Third-person may work better for observers, though.
3) Nope.
4) I prefer lemon meringue.

Hmm. 4) Personally, I'm a fan of cherry.

GeekGirl
2011-06-22, 01:36 PM
As a player, I almost always talk in first person. It's easier to keep my actions and thoughts separate from my characters.

When DM'ing, I encourage my characters to do what they feel comfortable with. I end up talking in third person, or second a lot for my narrations.

Personally i like First person better, but it doesn't always work, so you have to switch. I think RndmNumGen put it well in his second answer.

byaku rai
2011-06-22, 01:39 PM
1) I tend to prefer 1st person, although all I've done is IRL.
2) I personally believe 1st person is more conduscive, simply because it helps with being in character.
3) I have been known to do just that, especially when describing the acrobatics of my monk character.
4) HERESY. BLUEBERRY IS THE BEST OF ALL PIES.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-22, 02:21 PM
1)I always use 1st.
2)No. but I find third clumsy.
3)No.
4)Pumpkin Pie!

Third person style has the problem of getting players too dis-attached from the character. ''Oh, um, Jobar goes into the room and whatever''. I work hard to have all of the players experience the game, first hand.

Some people see D&D as 'a bunch of directors' sitting around and shooting a movie. I see it more as a game where the DM engages each of the players to have fun.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-22, 03:34 PM
1) I do both. Generally, for social moments, I prefer to use third person to aid in description. For combat, I often switch to 1st. At this point, you probably know why the PCs are doing what they are doing, and combat needs to be kept at a certain pace or the tension is lost.

2) Some authors write better in one then the other. I imagine some RPers are the same way and generally work better within their preference. I try not to do first person in RP because I want to distinguish myself from the character, but that's just for me and others might not have that problem.

3) I think it will only be beneficial if the person doing it can easily switch between the two. If they have issues mentally switching gears, don't do it. RP needs to come naturally, so players need to be comfortable with how they do it. So I think this is up to the individual RPer.

4) Key lime.

Seb Wiers
2011-06-22, 03:48 PM
1) I do both.
2) For me, third person is more conducive to summarization, so its what I use in journals and when running quickly through downtime. First person is more comfortable when playing things out in real time, interactively, with people reacting top what "I" do.
3) Beneficial or not, its what I do. But yeah, I think third person can help indicate you are talking more in terms of (long term) game mechanics. For example, I'd likely never say "I went up a level, so now I can use (new level ability)", but rather "Yaedof went up a level, so now I can use (new level ability)." They mean the same thing, but the later seems better communication.
4) 3.1416

Calmar
2011-06-22, 03:51 PM
I use 1st person when playing and 3rd person when DMing.

Mastikator
2011-06-22, 04:06 PM
I'd talk in third person if my character speaks in third person, but then it'd be what my character says and not does of course.

EccentricCircle
2011-06-22, 04:58 PM
1) I almost always talk in the first person. i'm a deep immersion roleplayer and always try to get into my characters head. i'd only ever use the third person if I was talking out of character. if i'm discussing my motivations or plans then I might say. "Yeah, I recognise that as a displacer beast, but Ariadne wouldn't" for example whereas in character I would say, "Hmm, I don't know what that is but I don't like the way it seems to be in the wrong place..." never "Ariadne doesn't know what it is but doesn't like the way it seems to be in the wrong place" that would just seem to break immersion for me. but I guess each to their own.

I feel that if you don't get into your characters head its all to easy to all back into not really roleplaying them. saying things like "I negotiate with the baron," rather than, you know... negotiating with the baron.
2) and 3) probably summed up in my long winded answer to 1)

4) R^2 obviously...

Show
2011-06-22, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies, all!

I am referring to narrating your characters actions, of course, not just speaking IC, of course. Both actions and verbal cues.

I've found the different types of pie to be particularly intriguing.

One more question:
5) Have all of you tried third person? I have not outside of the playground, and I'd like to know how it works out IRL, as well as to contribute to the discussion.

a_humble_lich
2011-06-22, 06:15 PM
I usually use first person when playing, but sometimes I will use third person if I want to emphasis that I am not my character. In particular, when playing characters of different gender, using third person with the proper pronoun can help remind the rest of the group that although I am male, my character isn't.

dsmiles
2011-06-22, 06:24 PM
So I've two questions:
1) Which style of narration do you use?As a player, I narrate and speak in the first person. As a DM I narrate and speak in the third person. (I have no idea why.)

and
2) Is one style more conductive to storytelling and roleplaying than the other?No? That's not something that can really be answered. Some people will say third person is, some will say first person is. I prefer first person, myself.

If you feel like you need another question, I'd also like to ask: 3) Do you think that it is beneficial to switch between first and third-person narration?No. Once you pick one, stick with it. Some people may have a hard time mentally switching back and forth, and could get "lost in the shuffle," as it were.

Any comments or ideas are greatly appreciated, of course. My ideas are still fairly young and untested...If you can do first person consistently, and not make it seem silly, go for it. If you can't try third person until you can.

Starwulf
2011-06-22, 07:11 PM
I actually tend to narrate my characters actions in third person. "Starwulf advances slowly towards the undead creature, drawing out his weapon". never "I advance slowly towards the undead creature, drawing out my weapon". I do better at getting into my characters head through third person then first.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-22, 07:15 PM
Second person.

dsmiles
2011-06-22, 07:16 PM
I actually tend to narrate my characters actions in third person. "Starwulf advances slowly towards the undead creature, drawing out his weapon". never "I advance slowly towards the undead creature, drawing out my weapon". I do better at getting into my characters head through third person then first.
See? No one can point enough fingers to say this way is better. No one can point enough fingers to say that first person is better. It's a trick question. It all lands squarely on preference.

randomhero00
2011-06-22, 07:41 PM
Usually first person. Sometimes third. The crazier it sounds the more likely I am to say it in third person.

randomhero00
2011-06-22, 07:44 PM
dangit, double post. sorry

Savannah
2011-06-22, 08:08 PM
It's been so long since I played a real-life game that I don't remember what I do in face-to-face groups (I'm sure I switch between the two, but I couldn't tell you if there's a pattern). In pbps, I tend to use 3rd person IC and 1st person when talking about my actions OOC, oddly enough. I've yet to have anyone have a problem with it.

When I'm DMing, it's always 3rd person, as it's important to be clear who's doing what.

Enix18
2011-06-22, 08:13 PM
1) I employ both narrative styles, actually; exactly which one is dependant on the nature of the game (see below).

2) No, I do not think that either style is more conducive to roleplaying than the other—however, I do believe that they are conducive to different types of roleplaying. For example, in my real-life games I tend to use (and require of my players) a first-person perspective. I think that this helps everyone to really get into their roles and feel that they, themselves, are there in the present scenario I'm describing.

For online games, I tend to go for third-person because I see it as more of a storytelling experience (my pbp games tend to be more intricate, plot-heavy, and character interaction-centric). By having the players speak about their characters in a third-person past tense, it feels more like you are all telling a story together.

3) Yes, I do think it is beneficial to switch between the two perspectives. Just don't do it in the same game (that could get confusing, and annoying). It's always good to try new things, and you may find that one narrative style is more conducive to your group's manner of play than the other.

Ultimately, this is what matters: what feels best for your group. The best advice I can give is to try both styles—find out first hand what feels best, and run with that.

Hope this helps.

— Enix18

Remmirath
2011-06-22, 08:19 PM
I always use third person when DMing. As a player, I tend to use a blend (particularly when I have more than one character) - dialogue and actions in combat are in first person, but other actions ("he starts looting the corpses" "she looks around") are third. Those sometimes wind up being in first if I have only one character.

I don't think which is used matters much, although I expect that DMing in first person might get a bit confusing. :smalltongue: For playing I really don't think it matters, except in as much as everybody has their own preference about it.

I'd agree that switching in the same game is more likely to be confusing than not, but it could be nice to switch things up with the next game.

Aldizog
2011-06-22, 08:24 PM
When DMing, I prefer players to refer to their PCs in the third person.
That's because I somewhat dislike it when people play "themselves in fantasy garb" -- I'd rather the PC have at least some aspects of their personality be really different than the player. The third-person reference helps reinforce that the PC is a character with a personality of their own. Some players need no such reinforcement in that regard, though.

Show
2011-06-22, 08:57 PM
Thanks all! I'm going to go ahead and try a game of third-person narration now. I'll have to see what works best for my group and decide from there, especially considering the wide range of opinions already expressed.

zorba1994
2011-06-23, 12:14 AM
As a DM I narrate in 3rd person, but whenever an NPC speaks, I say what he says, even if that's first person.

As a player, it depends.

Totally Guy
2011-06-23, 12:48 AM
I ended up GMing in first person for part of a session last time I ran something.

I did the entire Preamble to the session as a secret agent NPC called Control (and I was dressed as a secret agent too). It wasn't until I got into a weird "third-person GMing" that I dropped it.

Me as GM: You lie on the slab and you're fitted with the wires that I have attached to you.

- That line blew my mind and I didn't even realise I'd done it until I'd said it.

Toofey
2011-06-23, 01:06 AM
I'm pretty sure I've always switched between the two although I tend towards 1st person with characters I genuinely associate with. I DM much more in the 3nd person than I play.
I think 3rd is necessary for DMs I think each player needs to do what works best for themselves. IE: however they'll be happiest.
I think switching back and forth helps if only for opening up narrative options.

And seriously, no one for hot apple pie?

Knaight
2011-06-23, 01:19 AM
As a DM I narrate in 3rd person, but whenever an NPC speaks, I say what he says, even if that's first person.

That would be third person. A statement along the lines of: "She said 'I'll be back as soon as I've dealt with the guards' before vanishing into the night" is an example of third person narration, despite the first person present in the statement. It is true third person, part and parcel of what third person usually is.

Werekat
2011-06-23, 03:48 AM
1) When DM-ing - solely 3rd. When I'm playing - usually first, but if I need to give the plans of the character (that I don't know if/where the DM will interrupt me), I go into third. Like: "Ok, Werekat's planning to go up to the old man and fasttalk him into letting us through. Anything that looks like it might hinder me?"

2) Third and second seem to me better for storytelling. When playing - whatever rocks your socks.

3) When I'm playing? Heck, yeah.

zorba1994
2011-06-23, 10:44 AM
That would be third person. A statement along the lines of: "She said 'I'll be back as soon as I've dealt with the guards' before vanishing into the night" is an example of third person narration, despite the first person present in the statement. It is true third person, part and parcel of what third person usually is.

Right, technically yes, but a lot of DMs would settle for "she tells you that she'll be back as soon as she defeats the guards"

oxybe
2011-06-23, 10:50 AM
1) Which style of narration do you use? i'll use between both interchangeably.

2) Is one style more conductive to storytelling and roleplaying than the other? no, at least not in my experience. if we could use the words "show" and "tell" to describe 1st and 3rd person, then i would use first person when talking, to tell the audience (the players) things from my character's perspective. i show, using the 3rd person, how things actually interact.

to give a very basic example: yesterday night we were fighting vampire spawn. in the first person i would declare my intent of casting wall of fire in a circular pattern, engulfing most of the room and all the silly little vamps within.

i then declared that the golem would saunter inside the inferno and swing at the corner the PC outside the inferno was yelling about.

3) Do you think that it is beneficial to switch between first and third-person narration?

yes. as i said, IMO first person tells from the character's perspective, 3rd person shows what goes on.

-first was my character stating his intent in first person. from his perspective, the wall just got torn down, he could see a few shadows in the room the golem had just smashed through and the screams of "oh god, my strength just got sapped down to 3!"
-the gm replied in the third person how it affected the room "the room goes up in flames, the standard issue shadows poof away from ludicrous damage and that the vampire spawn cries as you incinerate the coffins"
-finally i 3rd person'd my golem flailing wildly in the direction Mr.3 str was indicating

4)Pie: hm... hard one... to choose between mum's apple, strawberry or pumpkin pie... hard choice :smallfrown:

5) Have all of you tried third person? I have not outside of the playground, and I'd like to know how it works out IRL, as well as to contribute to the discussion.

yup. works fine IMO

dsmiles
2011-06-23, 11:14 AM
5) Have all of you tried third person? I have not outside of the playground, and I'd like to know how it works out IRL, as well as to contribute to the discussion.I've never used 3rd person outside of DM/GMing. As a player, I use exclusively 1st person, to tell the story entirely from my character's perspective.

cattoy
2011-06-23, 02:17 PM
Third person when there is no sentient object being acted upon.

First person when there is.

Milo v3
2011-06-24, 04:17 AM
1) Which style of narration do you use?
and
2) Is one style more conductive to storytelling and roleplaying than the other?
If you feel like you need another question, I'd also like to ask: 3) Do you think that it is beneficial to switch between first and third-person narration?

1. I always play by First Person and all my players (Real & PbP) have as well in my games. Even as a DM I describe the area from their senses in a 1st person way.

2. I think First Person is better for roleplaying as they say how they feel. Not how Dave feels.

3. I've never switched so I wouldn't know.

JonRG
2011-06-24, 04:56 AM
In more casual RL games, there isn't always a clear divide between IC and OOC chatter. In those cases, third person makes it clear that the action's being performed by the character. So even if I want to slap the lecherous baron who's leering at my wizard, Nyarai is going to smile kindly and remain diplomatic.

Generally prefer first person though.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-06-25, 02:05 PM
I pretty much exclusively DM PbP, so I've gotten in the habit of speaking in third person so my players have some idea of what's going on. It definitely has nothing to do with Jjeinn's tendency to do the same in real life. *Shifty glances*

Though on the rare occasion that I do play, I do a bit of both. Speech is first person (unless my character is weird like that) but actions are 3rd person, as I like to narrate things. As PbP is in text, it reminds me of a novel of sorts, so I guess I just like to keep it reading like one. A narrator that continuously jumps into first person of different perspectives repeatedly is hard to follow.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-25, 02:32 PM
I use third person almost exclusively. Helps me put distance between myself or the character. Otherwise it just gets confusing. "I'll be right back." "Wait, you mean you or the character?"

ScionoftheVoid
2011-06-25, 02:59 PM
I slip between first and third person, but I'm more likely to use third person as a DM because I have multiple characters doing things. Generally it's fairly clear what is in character and what is not, and we've never had problems understanding what's going on because of a sudden change. Now, if I played with a more serious group I might try to normalise it a bit, but it's unlikely I'll find one of those any time soon.