PDA

View Full Version : Interactions with Linked Power

Elric VIII
2011-06-22, 03:36 PM
Assume I have a 7th Psion with Linked Power, Overchannel, and Talented, along with a Psicrystal and Psicrystal Containment.

1)I mannifest a 1st level power with the linked power as a 4th level power, using Overchannel to increase my ML to 8, does Talented mitigate the damage since only the lower level power is actually being manifested when the cost is paid?

2)Can Metapower be applied to Linked Power to effectively reduce the cost of the additional power to be manifested?

3)If, instead of a Psion, I had an 11th level Ardent with Dominant Ideal on a domain with a 1st level power in it, would manifesting it with Linked Power and a 6th level power allow me to bypass the damage by using Talented?

Cog
2011-06-22, 04:53 PM
1: Yes, but not for that reason. You are manifesting the second power as well, but Talented merely requires that you manifest a sufficiently low-level power, a condition that you fill anyway.

2: Yes. The first power will now always be modified by Linked Power, but I think you can still freely choose the second power. That's a very strong interpretation, so it might be better to constantly modify it with the same power instead.

3: We don't talk about Dominant Ideal. No, not even then. (Alright. Yes, that would work, for the same reasons as above.)

Elric VIII
2011-06-22, 05:40 PM
Thank you.

2: Yes. The first power will now always be modified by Linked Power, but I think you can still freely choose the second power. That's a very strong interpretation, so it might be better to constantly modify it with the same power instead.[/SIZE])

That's a reasonable limitation in intent, but I think it might be hard to enforce with the use of Temporal Acceleration and/or Synchronicity.

Cog
2011-06-22, 05:52 PM
That's a reasonable limitation in intent, but I think it might be hard to enforce with the use of Temporal Acceleration and/or Synchronicity.
Sure, if you use the linked power to simply grab extra actions, then you can do what you want with those actions. In that case, A) you aren't getting as much benefit from your pp reduction abilities, and B) you're getting close to the chaining and loops that have always been possible and most tables simply decide to ignore for the sake of a fun gaming experience. If (emphasis on the "if") you cross that line, wherever it may be for you group, that's on you; "the rules let me do it" is, as always, a shoddy excuse.

Note that I'm not accusing you of anything - I'm just pointing out why I'm not worried that there is still that opening in the rules there. This is the general "you", not the specific "you". :smallbiggrin:

Elric VIII
2011-06-22, 06:18 PM
Sure, if you use the linked power to simply grab extra actions, then you can do what you want with those actions. In that case, A) you aren't getting as much benefit from your pp reduction abilities, and B) you're getting close to the chaining and loops that have always been possible and most tables simply decide to ignore for the sake of a fun gaming experience. If (emphasis on the "if") you cross that line, wherever it may be for you group, that's on you; "the rules let me do it" is, as always, a shoddy excuse.

Note that I'm not accusing you of anything - I'm just pointing out why I'm not worried that there is still that opening in the rules there. This is the general "you", not the specific "you". :smallbiggrin:

It's not so much of a problem since I'm the DM for the game in which this is happening. I'm going to do something along the lines of Power X linked to Time Hop to attack the PCs and disappear.

Cog
2011-06-22, 07:00 PM
Note that the base power must either have no target at all or target the manifester, then. Otherwise the Time Hop won't hit what you want it to hit.

Elric VIII
2011-06-22, 07:27 PM
Note that the base power must either have no target at all or target the manifester, then. Otherwise the Time Hop won't hit what you want it to hit.

Is that because the point of origin is gone or something else?

Cog
2011-06-22, 08:37 PM
By the description of Linked Power, if the base power has a target, the second power must be targeted in the same way. If you use, say, Mind Thrust as your base power and aim it at an orc, your Time Hop will target that orc as well.

Elric VIII
2011-06-22, 09:19 PM
By the description of Linked Power, if the base power has a target, the second power must be targeted in the same way. If you use, say, Mind Thrust as your base power and aim it at an orc, your Time Hop will target that orc as well.

Ah, I see, I guess it's Energy Ball FTW.