PDA

View Full Version : Hold the Line, AoO's, and Reach

thejibboo
2011-06-22, 06:16 PM
I posted this in the simple RAW Q&A thread, but got more than one opinion, so i need a little more clarification.

A monk with a reach weapon (say a longspear) has the Hold the Line feat and readies his weapon against a charge. He threatens everything two squares away with the longspear, and everything adjacent with Unarmed Strike. When someone charges, the monk 1) gets the readied attack with the longspear, dealing double damage 2) gets an AoO with the longspear due to the Hold the Line feat.
Here's where i get unclear: the charging character continues his charge, leaving the square threatened by the longspear and provoking another AoO. This second AoO uses the longspear, correct? Furthermore, the charging character has again entered an area i threaten, activating the Hold the Line feat again, this time with an Unarmed Strike. So by my count, when someone charges this monk, the monk gets 1) a readied attack, 2) 2 AoO's with the longspear, and 3) an AoO with an Unarmed Strike for a total of 4 attacks against a charging opponent. Is all this right?

Keld Denar
2011-06-22, 06:24 PM
All correct except the last. Each action can only provoke once per circumstance.

The readied action is not an AoO. It happens immediately when the foe enters the square.

The first AoO, the one from Hold the Line, occurs ALSO when the foe immediately enters the threatened area. Its more or less simultaneous with the first, resolve in any order.

The 2nd AoO happens from moving out of a threatened square. This happens next and is made with the weapon that threatens the square he's leaving.

There is not 3rd AoO. He's entering a threatened square with a charge, yes, but he's already provoked an AoO from that circumstance (entering a square threatened by a character with Hold the Line while charging). Its the same circumstance as the first AoO, just the same as if he charged PAST your monk at an ally, leaving multiple threatened squares wouldn't proboke multiple AoOs.

So yea, the correct answer is 3 attacks total, of which 1 is a readied action and 2 are AoOs.

herrhauptmann
2011-06-22, 07:03 PM
Now, I direct you to the steadfast boots in MiC.
No longer do you need to ready an action against a charge so long as you have a 2handed weapon. ANY 2 handed weapon can now be set against a charge, even something as ridiculous as the spiked chain.

edit:
Your character needs something like robilars gambit (I think) where people provoke another AOO when they make their attack. It's part of the Jack B Quick build.

thejibboo
2011-06-22, 07:03 PM
Gotcha. I thought there may be a distinction between the area threatened with the longspear and the area threatened by the unarmed strike, making them different circumstances. thanks for the reply.