PDA

View Full Version : Need an Idea

Rhaegar14
2011-06-23, 01:20 AM
Hello all.

I'm coming to the forum for a character idea because, simply put, I'm stuck. We're playing a level 1 or 2 campaign, and all of my character ideas so far have fallen through the cracks.

The first idea was for a Totem Rager build. But, see, this is a second campaign; all of us are already playing in a different campaign. And for this secondary campaign, one of my friends, who I sold on playing an Arcane Hierophant in the first campaign and hasn't hit his stride yet, is refusing to play anything but a strong warrior type that will be dominating from level 1. I pointed him to Warblade and sighed with the discontent that my Totem Rager will have no place in this party, because we already have primary melee.

The second idea was a Tiefling Factotum; while the Factotum has interesting abilities, it's really the Tiefling race that had me on this idea and the backstory I came up with to accompany it. But in talking over it with the DM, I was basically told I can't play a Tiefling because the Material Plane in this campaign world has been out of touch with the other planes for a very, very long time (apparently too long for their to be traces of fiendish blood in my family line).

So, I'm out of ideas and need a new one. I need to fulfill the role of party trapfinder, but frankly, a one-level dip into Rogue or Factotum and the Able Learner feat can handle that so long as I have enough skill points.

The campaign world was inspired by our aspiring DM's read through Frostburn; so, basically, it's Hoth. Book-learning-based abilities are frowned upon, though fluff is always mutable.

The party thus far (probably) consists of a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk Swift Hunter, a Xin Zhao (if any of you have played League of Legends) inspired Warblade, and an Archivist/Wizard (yeah, I raised an eyebrow too after the book-learning stuff) Theurge.

In our primary campaign, I'm currently playing a Spellscale Sorc/Crusader JPM, so I would like to stay away from arcane casting and ToB, just for the sake of doing something different. Other than that, anything is fair game.

kharmakazy
2011-06-23, 01:25 AM
I love warlocks in low level games. Easy bookkeeping, ample mobility options, every attack is ranged touch, etc.

You may have to do some optimizing to be super effective past 6 or so, but warlocks are swiss army knives for levels 1-4 or so.

Rhaegar14
2011-06-23, 01:26 AM
I love warlocks in low level games. Easy bookkeeping, ample mobility options, every attack is ranged touch, etc.

You may have to do some optimizing to be super effective past 6 or so, but warlocks are swiss army knives for levels 1-4 or so.

But that raises the whole "extraplanar" issue from the Tiefling again. I might, MIGHT be able to swing Binder, but I doubt it.

kharmakazy
2011-06-23, 01:29 AM
But that raises the whole "extraplanar" issue from the Tiefling again. I might, MIGHT be able to swing Binder, but I doubt it.

Not really, even the fluff indicates that there may have been some mingling SOMEWHERE in you bloodline... but it could have been far removed. Not to mention lots of people use fey bloodline fluff variants, but im not sure if there is an actual source for that.

I'm guessing your DM is kind of strict on the fluff tho.

Rhaegar14
2011-06-23, 01:34 AM
Not really, even the fluff indicates that there may have been some mingling SOMEWHERE in you bloodline... but it could have been far removed. Not to mention lots of people use fey bloodline fluff variants, but im not sure if there is an actual source for that.

I'm guessing your DM is kind of strict on the fluff tho.

Oh yes. Irritatingly so.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-23, 01:35 AM
Are flaws allowed?

An 18 Int Whisper Gnome or Human makes an excellent Factotum. Wild Talent, Speed of Thought and Up the Walls combined with the quick trait creates a very mobil character.

The Open Mind feat nets you some skill points, making it good at low levels. Do it right, and you can get a rank in every skill and have some points to spare.

Some of the best skills are Cha-based: Iaijutsu Focus, Use Magic Device, Diplomacy and Handle Animal, so it helps to stick a good score in that.

kharmakazy
2011-06-23, 01:37 AM
:smallfrown:
Commoner into survivor (SS).
Have your character be horrified any time combat breaks out.

Rhaegar14
2011-06-23, 01:39 AM
Flaws are allowed. Initially the Factotum was going to be a whip-tripper (with a homebrew feat to fix some of the problems with that plan), because I know that the DM for this campaign will be less-than-thrilled if I break out all the stops with the cheese (for instance, taking two flaws and four Fonts of Inspiration as a 1st-level Human Factotum), and my gaming group isn't nearly as good at it as I am.

Now, that said, it was the loss of the Tiefling fluff, not racial stats, that turned me from that idea. XD

kharmakazy
2011-06-23, 01:44 AM
Kobold commoner -> survivor -> Urban druid with animated object animal companion.

Get a metal box with wheels on it that locks from the inside as your animal companion. Kobolds can fit into tiny spaces iirc. At the first sign of trouble dive into your box, maybe fire off some crossbow bolts or something.

Rhaegar14
2011-06-23, 01:48 AM
Kobold commoner -> survivor -> Urban druid with animated object animal companion.

Get a metal box with wheels on it that locks from the inside as your animal companion. Kobolds can fit into tiny spaces iirc. At the first sign of trouble dive into your box, maybe fire off some crossbow bolts or something.

This sounds hilarious, but also after the first combat or two unfulfilling. XD Also, I'm not familiar with all of the acronyms. SS = ??