PDA

View Full Version : [PF-->3.5] Magus questions

Sir Enigma
2011-06-23, 07:03 AM
I'm going to be running a 3.5 game starting soon, and one of my players wants to use the Magus class, from Pathfinder. I've got no problem with this, but I do have a couple of questions. For those not familiar, the Magus is found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus). In particular, he wants to use the Bladebound archetype listed further down the page.

1) The magus list seems a bit low on touch spells for their spellstrike ability, particularly at higher levels. Any suggestions for spells that might be added?

2) For the Bladebound archetype, the weapon that the character gains is listed as having an enhancement bonus that goes up as the character levels. Can some of this be swapped out for weapon special abilities (e.g. could a level 5 magus choose to have a +1 flaming weapon instead of a +2 weapon)? My reading suggests not - it just says "enhancement bonus" - but I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts.

3) If the black blade cannot gain special abilities naturally, could it be enchanted with them, and how should this be priced? I've got no problem with the character further enchanting the weapon, but I'm not sure how much money this should take...

Any other tips on adapting this class to 3.5 are also welcome. Thanks in advance!

Prime32
2011-06-23, 07:19 AM
1) The magus list seems a bit low on touch spells for their spellstrike ability, particularly at higher levels. Any suggestions for spells that might be added?That's what the Close Range arcana is for.

2) For the Bladebound archetype, the weapon that the character gains is listed as having an enhancement bonus that goes up as the character levels. Can some of this be swapped out for weapon special abilities (e.g. could a level 5 magus choose to have a +1 flaming weapon instead of a +2 weapon)? My reading suggests not - it just says "enhancement bonus" - but I'm interested in hearing people's thoughtsEh, it's basically a free casting of greater magic weapon.

3) If the black blade cannot gain special abilities naturally, could it be enchanted with them, and how should this be priced? I've got no problem with the character further enchanting the weapon, but I'm not sure how much money this should take...I'd say don't let them buy special abilities with the enhancement bonus, but the enhancement also doesn't count for determining costs (i.e. they can enchant it as if it were a masterwork weapon). Multiple enhancement bonuses don't stack, of course.

You might want to take some ideas from the duskbladePHB2, of which the magus is essentially a PF conversion.