PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield control/blast cleric

Kaeso
2011-06-23, 07:29 AM
Hey there playground,

While it is said that the cleric spell list is only marginally worse than the wizards, most cleric builds revolve around the same DMM persist divine power concept, as if that's the only trick the cleric can do :smallannoyed:.

That's why I thought it might be time to explore the other extreme: a cloistered cleric that uses his spells for battlefield control and perhaps a little blasting, basically a divine wizard. We all know wizards have a 'silver bullet' spell at every level, some playgrounders could name all of them by heart. Who hasn't heard about the overpoweredness that is grease, or how glitterdust and web can basically finish an encounter before it has started. Let's not even talk about what colour spray and sleep can do at lower levels.

The point of this thread is to divine what the clerical 'silver bullets' are. What are the great battlefield control spells the cleric has in his arsenal, what are the best damaging spells, what feats are best to enhance these spells? Domain spells are also allowed for this, but I'd prefer it if it would refer to the standard cleric spells too.

EDIT: For the sake of convenience I'll list every 'silver bullet' posted here by level, with a little description of its effects if you'd be so kind to state them as well.

Level 1:
Obscuring mist: Same reason it's good for wizards
Ice slick (Frostburn)

Ice Slick from Frostburn is essentially the Divine version of Grease, except that it covers twice the area...so it's actually Grease +1.
Command: Give a single enemy a simple task, which includes dropping his weapon or dropping prone. Can greatly reduce the threat of a single enemy. Targets the will save (the weak save for fighter types) but is SR: yes
Spiritual weapon: Allows you to attack an enemy from a range with a spectral sword, which can force AoO and thus lock an enemy in place. It requires a move action to control, but with the skill trick swift concentration from complete scoundrel that isn't a problem.
Level 2:
Darkness: Same reason it's good for wizards
Silence: Can partially shut down enemy casters for an entire combat. Targets their strong save (will) though, and it's also SR: yes.

Silence doesn't allow a save unless it's cast on a living target. Cast it on a rock and throw the rock at the enemy caster. By the same token, cast Deeper Darknesson a Dagger. When the dagger is sheathed, the spell is blocked, as the magical darkness radiates just like the Light spell. Simply draw the dagger, and gain 20% concealment, denying enemy rogues sneak attack.

Silence is even better when you cast it on one of your pointy stick wielders and have him go sit on top of the enemy caster, they can just move away from the rock.

Not if you cast Animate Objects on your rock first. Try Permanency and let your pet rock go! :smallwink:
Hold Person: Paralysis makes an enemy helpless, which allows your BSF to coup de grace it, and you get it a spell level sooner than wizards :smallwink:. Sadly it only works on humanoids and you don't get the mass version later.
Animal attribute line (like bull's strength etc.): It's a decent low level buff line, but it's an enhancement bonus so it doesn't scale too well.
Level 3:
Stone shape

Stone shape make me happy, very happy indeed. Getting creative can outright end some encounters.
Dispel Magic: Spell-b-gone
Level 4:
Divination: Gives you a small glimpse of the future
Level 5:
Wall of Stone: Nothing says "battlefield control" like splitting the enemy up with a huge wall. Divide and conquer!
Greater command: Like command, but with multiple subjects. You can literally disarm an entire group of enemies with this. It also lasts multiple rounds but is SR: Yes and forces a will save each round.
Level 6:

Level 7:

Level 8:

Level 9:
Miracle: It's like the wizards Wish, but better!

Special mentions:

Summon monster line

Summon monster for the win here. Get something that grapples or trips. That's battlefield control, the blast that keeps on blasting, a buff if it gets into flanking position, and even kinda like preemptive healing if the enemy chooses to attack them instead of your party.

DMM Heighten

For kicks take a cleric with the Domination and Tyranny domains, pick up GSF:Enchantment and DMM:Heighten Spell. Normally picking the Heighten feat is a total waste, but DMM can redeem it.

Tr011
2011-06-23, 07:40 AM
The point of this thread is to divine what the clerical 'silver bullets' are. What are the great battlefield control spells the cleric has in his arsenal, what are the best damaging spells, what feats are best to enhance these spells? Domain spells are also allowed for this, but I'd prefer it if it would refer to the standard cleric spells too.

I don't know very much about the cleric spells in DnD since I never played one, but in NWN the best damaging spells came out of the domains (if you chose them wisely you got always great blast spells and thereby had one of the best char possible (very high AC, a good amount of HP and a great spell list). In DnD I think you can still choose the domains well to get some good blasts.

Obscuring Mist can be used very well I think. As well as Darkness. You just have to make sure your team gets vision and the enemies don't. Silence is also very useful against spellcasters, since it disables them as long as you are near.

Gullintanni
2011-06-23, 07:50 AM
Hey there playground,

Level 1:
Obscuring mist: Same reason it's good for wizards
Level 2:
Darkness: Same reason it's good for wizards
Silence: Can partially shut down enemy casters for an entire combat. Targets their strong save (will) though, and it's also SR: yes.
Level 3:

Level 4:

Level 5:

Level 6:

Level 7:

Level 8:

Level 9:

Silence doesn't allow a save unless it's cast on a living target. Cast it on a rock and throw the rock at the enemy caster. By the same token, cast Deeper Darkness on a Dagger. When the dagger is sheathed, the spell is blocked, as the magical darkness radiates just like the Light spell. Simply draw the dagger, and gain 20% concealment, denying enemy rogues sneak attack.

...also, Ice Slick from Frostburn is essentially the Divine version of Grease, except that it covers twice the area...so it's actually Grease +1.

Kaeso
2011-06-23, 07:57 AM
Silence doesn't allow a save unless it's cast on a living target. Cast it on a rock and throw the rock at the enemy caster. By the same token, cast Deeper Darknesson a Dagger. When the dagger is sheathed, the spell is blocked, as the magical darkness radiates just like the Light spell. Simply draw the dagger, and gain 20% concealment, denying enemy rogues sneak attack.

Clever... I'll add that to the list.

...also, Ice Slick from Frostburn is essentially the Divine version of Grease, except that it covers twice the area...so it's actually Grease +1.

Do you know what spell level Ice Slick is?

Gullintanni
2011-06-23, 08:02 AM
Clever... I'll add that to the list.

Do you know what spell level Ice Slick is?

First level IIRC. Will check.

Edit: I do recall correctly. Level 1.

MightyPirate
2011-06-23, 08:04 AM
Silence is even better when you cast it on one of your pointy stick wielders and have him go sit on top of the enemy caster, they can just move away from the rock.

Stone shape make me happy, very happy indeed. Getting creative can outright end some encounters.

Summon monster for the win here. Get something that grapples or trips. That's battlefield control, the blast that keeps on blasting, a buff if it gets into flanking position, and even kinda like preemptive healing if the enemy chooses to attack them instead of your party.

Telok
2011-06-23, 08:06 AM
DMM:Persist is overrated.

For kicks take a cleric with the Domination and Tyranny domains, pick up GSF:Enchantment and DMM:Heighten Spell. Normally picking the Heighten feat is a total waste, but DMM can redeem it.

And one of those domains gives you Dominate Person as a 4th level spell.

Tr011
2011-06-23, 08:07 AM
Silence doesn't allow a save unless it's cast on a living target. Cast it on a rock and throw the rock at the enemy caster. By the same token, cast Deeper Darkness on a Dagger. When the dagger is sheathed, the spell is blocked, as the magical darkness radiates just like the Light spell. Simply draw the dagger, and gain 20% concealment, denying enemy rogues sneak attack.

I thought more about casting it on an ally who charges straight to the caster... or at least nearby him. If your BSF is next to the enemies BSF, silence at least disables enemy casters to buff/heal their BSF.

EDIT: ninjad by a mighty pirate.

Gullintanni
2011-06-23, 08:09 AM

Not if you cast Animate Objects on your rock first. Try Permanency and let your pet rock go! :smallwink:

Kaeso
2011-06-23, 08:12 AM
Ah, we're getting a lot of clever responses here. Thanks guys :smallwink:
I've updated the list in the original post to contain everything that's been posted up till now. If we go on like this, we might end up with a very, very useful list of spells.

Gwendol
2011-06-23, 08:35 AM
Level 2: Bull's strength! ;-), Spiritual weapon (great ranged weapon for clerics!)

Summon monster... especially from level III and onwards when you can start summoning guardinals

Level 1: Divine Favor (because Luck bonuses stack with enhancements)

Level 3: Dispel magic

Level 4: Divination

Level 5: Wall of stone, Greater Command

Kaeso
2011-06-23, 04:37 PM
What makes divination so great? It's a small glimpse into the future, but I don't think it means "you can now predict everything that's going to happen in the next 24 hours".

tyckspoon
2011-06-23, 04:46 PM
What makes divination so great? It's a small glimpse into the future, but I don't think it means "you can now predict everything that's going to happen in the next 24 hours".

"We're going into the Castle of Deadly Dooms next week. What kind of threats can we expect to deal with?" Mind, I don't think this kind of question is going to give you anything you couldn't gain from a normal Gather Information/Bardic Lore check, but unless your DM is reaaaallly good at riddles you'll probably get a pretty straight and useful answer that will tell you if, for example, that castle is going to be a theme dungeon of undead, elementals, or outsiders, or maybe "giants have occupied it" or "many humanoids make their homes there."

Gullintanni
2011-06-23, 06:12 PM

The appeal of Divination is simply the ability to ask, "What can I expect if I open the door in front of me?" and expect to find out, reliably enough, whether or not you're adequately prepared for what's on the other side.

...and Victory loves preparation.

DeAnno
2011-06-23, 06:34 PM
Flashflood (Sandstorm, 8th Level) is a very powerful spell in that it just gives you so much water, and you can cause a lot of trouble with that in enclosed spaces (not to mention the pinning and pushing effects).

After using Flashflood to partially flood an enclosed space, you can even use Control Water (PHB 4th Level) to flood it entirely! There are a number of ways to prepare your party for such hijinx, or to exploit the situation with other situational spells (Stormwrack has a bunch of these).