PDA

View Full Version : Epic Bard [Need Build Help]

Kansaschaser
2011-06-23, 10:11 AM
If you were going to make a level 30 epic Bard, with the following restrictions, what would you do?

1. At least 10 levels must be pure Bard.

2. Any prestige classes taken must give either Bardic Knowledge or Bardic Music.

3. Any multi-classing taken must give either a continuation of Bardic Knowledge or Bardic Music (either with feats or alternate class features).

4. You cannot use a race with a level adjustment.

5. Stats: 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13

Socratov
2011-06-23, 01:58 PM
at a quick glance I'd go with bard 10/sublime chord 10/virtuoso 10, use the virtuoso spell progression on the bard's spells and feats to go into epic spells for sublime chord and Bob's your uncle :smallsmile: Sadly no races exist (or at least that I know of) with LA 0 and a cha increase, but then I'd advise on taking human, with song of the heart, lingering song etc.

both virtuoso and sublime chord give you extended uses for bardick music, and you'll only lose 6 skillpoints to a proffession(astrologer).

the end result will be a fairly good buffer, with great spells (epic spells even)

(however, this wouldnt be optimzed to the max)

tonberrian
2011-06-23, 01:59 PM
Bard 28/Seeker of the Song 2. Abuse Bardic Music.

Optimator
2011-06-23, 07:41 PM
at a quick glance I'd go with bard 10/sublime chord 10/virtuoso 10, use the virtuoso spell progression on the bard's spells and feats to go into epic spells for sublime chord and Bob's your uncle :smallsmile: Sadly no races exist (or at least that I know of) with LA 0 and a cha increase, but then I'd advise on taking human, with song of the heart, lingering song etc.

both virtuoso and sublime chord give you extended uses for bardick music, and you'll only lose 6 skillpoints to a proffession(astrologer).

the end result will be a fairly good buffer, with great spells (epic spells even)

(however, this wouldnt be optimzed to the max)

This seems like a very nice path. You could even go the standard Bard 9 Virtuoso 1 Sublime CHord 2 Virtuoso 8 and fill the last 10 levels with Incantatrix.

Gabe the Bard
2011-06-23, 09:48 PM
Spellscales from Races of the Dragon give +2 to Charisma and -2 to Constitution.

I would probably go with bard 10 / sublime chord 20. I like the sublime chord's Song of Timelessness ability, which allows no SR (since it's a supernatural ability) and has a saving throw DC based on your sublime chord class level. You can freeze up to two targets if you have Lingering Chorus (a bard spell from Complete Mage) and a Harmonizing Weapon.

ffone
2011-06-23, 10:10 PM
Feytouched (Savage Progressions at wizards.com) and lesser planetouched Aasimar (PGtF) are LA 0 and Cha +2. Both good bard races. I've played in a party with a feytouched bard.

Eldariel
2011-06-23, 10:14 PM
I'd probably go Bard 9/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso +18 (ending up at Virtuoso 10/Epic Virtuoso 9).

Kansaschaser
2011-06-24, 07:51 AM
Would these suggestions be able to stand up against a level 30 Wizard?

Eldariel
2011-06-24, 10:05 AM
Would these suggestions be able to stand up against a level 30 Wizard?

Sublime Chord gives you the best game to compare to a Wizard 30 by far, so yes.

Socratov
2011-06-24, 10:10 AM
Spellscales from Races of the Dragon give +2 to Charisma and -2 to Constitution.

I would probably go with bard 10 / sublime chord 20. I like the sublime chord's Song of Timelessness ability, which allows no SR (since it's a supernatural ability) and has a saving throw DC based on your sublime chord class level. You can freeze up to two targets if you have Lingering Chorus (a bard spell from Complete Mage) and a Harmonizing Weapon.

the thing is, you get the song of timelessness too when you only take 10 levels of sublime chord, and with virtuoso you can even boost your bardic music further.