PDA

View Full Version : Tentacle whip...

druid91
2011-06-23, 05:23 PM
Well I saw these in the Ebberon campaign manual.

So my question is, how do I get them? They seem like they'd be a nice thing to have, but there is no price or advice on how to obtain some.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-23, 07:47 PM
A Tentacle Whip? Have you checked the BoEF?
My half hearted attempt to resist the urge has failed.

Big Fau
2011-06-23, 08:29 PM
Magic Item Compendium printed them.

Prime32
2011-06-23, 08:31 PM
The daelkyr halfblood race from Magic of Eberron gets a personal symbiont. Can't remember if tentacle whips were an option, but it wouldn't be until high levels anyway.

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 09:10 PM
I think there might be a little confusion going on between the magic item Tentacle Rod (MIC p. 61) and the symbiont Tentacle Whip (ECS p.300).

druid91
2011-06-23, 11:31 PM
A Tentacle Whip? Have you checked the BoEF?
My half hearted attempt to resist the urge has failed.

Why would I look in third party material for an eberron item?:smallconfused:

Big Fau
2011-06-23, 11:39 PM
Why would I look in third party material for an eberron item?:smallconfused:

It's a fetish joke.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-06-24, 12:27 AM
- Find someone who has one and take it. The dm can give it to anyone, so try it out that way, perhaps.
- If you want to estimate price... It has telepathic communication, which labels it as +9000 gp, but then it has significantly lower mental stats than that price would suggest. And its power, to deliver touch attacks at a range, isn't normally a thing.

With this in mind, it really sounds to me more like a wizard than anything. Wasn't there a alternative class feature that gave wizards a weapon familiar? Weapon familiar (whip) seems to me to be this exactly, crunch wise.

The-Mage-King
2011-06-24, 12:36 AM
Magic of Eberron places it at ~8000 gp (page 54; sidebar: SYMBIONTS AND GRAFTS AS TREASURE).

Silly WotC. Don't they know that grafts are going to be claimed, because every adventurer is a greedy psycho after as much power as possible?

Person_Man
2011-06-24, 08:09 AM
Magic of Eberron places it at ~8000 gp (page 54; sidebar: SYMBIONTS AND GRAFTS AS TREASURE).

Silly WotC. Don't they know that grafts are going to be claimed, because every adventurer is a greedy psycho after as much power as possible?

Yeah. Back in the 3.0 days when I much younger (but equally unoriginal) I made a Venom-ish skin symbiote. Some child found it in a cave where there was a magic portal. Child returns home under mind control. Symbiote jumps from person to person, leaving a trail of rapidly aged and sometimes insane hosts in it's wake, until it takes over the local arch mage. PCs investigate, following the trail of hosts whose lives had been destroyed and fighting off several who had gone mad. The mad rantings of the former hosts point them to the cave. They find the symbiote controlled arch mage as he is trying to re-open the portal so that a lot more symbiotes can come to our dimension. He Summons a ton of creatures and puts up a good fight, before being defeated. The almost but not yet dead symbiote jumps onto the PC who killed the arch mage. He makes a Will Save and passes and so for the moment he is still in control of his mind and body, for now. I hand him the equipment card for symbiote, which details the impressive buffs and abilities that he gains as a result of the bonding. First words out of his mouth:

"Wow, I am totally keeping this thing."

Amphetryon
2011-06-24, 08:12 AM
Become an Impure Prince.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-24, 10:43 AM
Daelkyr half bloods can grow one at level 5 IIRC; and Veyr compiled a very nice list of symbiont and how to obtain them... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190350)

Veyr
2011-06-24, 11:04 AM
Tentacle Whip is an option for a 10th level Daelkyr Half-blood, or for any Impure Prince 5. Magic of Eberron also gives it a value for WBL purposes, which should help your DM decide how to include one if you're neither of those things.