PDA

View Full Version : Skill monkey feats

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-23, 05:31 PM
Oh wise community, I'm looking for some good skill monkey feats.

Draz74
2011-06-23, 06:41 PM
OK, since you aren't giving any more information, I'm going to assume these feats are just for a skill monkey -- nothing specifically for a Factotum, or a Sneak Attacker, or even someone who wants to be good at melee. Just good feats for enhancing skills.

Darkstalker -- lets you actually use your stealth skills against most monsters.
Quick Reconnoiter -- makes you a more alert scout, with a bonus to initiative just as icing on the cake.
Martial Study -- if nothing else, Shadow Hand has a few maneuvers that are lovely out-of-combat utilities, most notably Cloak of Deception and Shadow Jaunt. Both available at Level 6 to a non-initiator character.
Tactile Trapsmith -- provides a bit of useful ability score consolidation for a high-DEX, lower-INT character who wants to play trapmonkey.
Keen Intellect -- provides a bit of useful ability score consolidation for a high-INT, lower-WIS character who wants to play scout.

Optimator
2011-06-23, 06:58 PM
Savvy Rogue is cool, if you have Skill Mastery I guess.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-23, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry. Yes, I meant what feats (other than those in the PHB) boost skill checks, and are there any that scale well. (A 2 at level 1 is great, not so much at level 10)

I've discovered Open minded as well.

Zaq
2011-06-23, 07:42 PM
Aw, so you don't want Keen-Eared Scout, then? Scratch that. You want Keen-Eared Scout. It's awesome. PHB2. Check it out.

A rather off-the-beaten-path way of getting a skill boost that only really gives good return on Factotums is taking Minor Utterance of the Evolving Mind to pick up Universal Aptitude. With the Factotum boost, you're almost guaranteed to succeed once a day (and, once active, gives a +5 untyped bonus to everything. Yes, everything.), and if you're out of combat, you can just keep trying until it works (and then pick the hell out of that lock, or whatever). Sure, it requires putting ranks in Truespeak, but I think it's not a bad return.

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 07:45 PM
Able Learner (cross class skills only cost 1 point - combined with a dip in Facotum, this effectively mean all skills are yours for all classes)
Educated (all Knowledge skills become class skills)
Jack of All Trades (treated as having 1/2 rank in all trained only skills)
Nymph's Kiss (bonus skill point each level)
Open Minded (as already pointed out)

ffone
2011-06-23, 08:28 PM
I know you said feats, but the skill tricks in CompScoundrel may be of interest. Cost 2 skill points each and a few replicate previous feats.

Dimers
2011-06-23, 10:30 PM
Iaijutsu Master, from Oriental Adventures. One time per day, use your total Iaijutsu skill mod for one other skill, one attack or one save. Lets you occasionally be totally awesome in things you've never spent two minutes training in, and you can focus your item selection more tightly.