PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Full-casting entry into Knight Phantom?

Lateral
2011-06-23, 06:23 PM
What methods of gaining martial weapon proficiency for entry into Knight Phantom are there? So far I know of two, neither of which work here.

A dip in Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian, etc; this loses an extra caster level, and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
The Militia regional feat, which doesn't work for this because it's FR-specific and KF is Eberron-specific

Anyone got any others?

Taelas
2011-06-23, 06:24 PM
Be an Outsider.

sreservoir
2011-06-23, 06:30 PM
or a giant. primordial half-giant is fun for casters, though LA +1 and it kills strength.

incidentally, are there any +0 outsiders or giants?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-23, 06:32 PM
or a giant. primordial half-giant is fun for casters, though LA +1 and it kills strength.

incidentally, are there any +0 outsiders or giants?

Outsiders yes, giants, not as far as I know.

TheGeckoKing
2011-06-23, 06:32 PM
Go go Giant Limbo Toads......... (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2)

tyckspoon
2011-06-23, 06:36 PM
Race + LA buyoff is probably your best bet here.

sreservoir
2011-06-23, 06:44 PM
Go go Giant Limbo Toads......... (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2)

right, those. they're natural jumpers, they're obviously frogs!

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 07:03 PM
The reqs are annoying, but a 1 level dip into Dargon Slayer gets full martial WP and advances casting by +1 level.

Lateral
2011-06-23, 07:06 PM
The reqs are annoying, but a 1 level dip into Dargon Slayer gets full martial WP and advances casting by +1 level.

...I'll assume you mean "Dragon Slayer," since 'dargon' sounds like something out of a Babylon 5 ripoff. Which particular dragon-themed book does this prestige class arise from?

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 07:09 PM
...I'll assume you mean "Dragon Slayer," since 'dargon' sounds like something out of a Babylon 5 ripoff. Which particular dragon-themed book does this prestige class arise from?
Yes, indeed, I meant Dragon Slayer. It's in Draconomicon.

Dargon Slayer is a Dragonlance prC that are sworn enemies of the sea elves! :smallbiggrin: Dargonesti

Amnestic
2011-06-23, 07:10 PM

Draconomicon. Make sure you don't mistake the Dragonrider table for the Dragonslayer one like I just did at a glance.

:( I got draconinja'd.

sreservoir
2011-06-23, 07:12 PM

draconomnomnomicon.

dodge and iron will, though. iron will is just 3k out of WBL, but dodge.

also tumble 2, but that's pretty trivial.

ed: oh, what, two already?

Amnestic
2011-06-23, 07:13 PM
draconomnomnomicon.

dodge and iron will, though. iron will is just 3k out of WBL, but dodge.

also tumble 2, but that's pretty trivial.

ed: oh, what, two already?

There are alternatives to Dodge; Expeditious Dodge (RotW) and Midnight Dodge (MoI) to name two. I'm sure there are others though.

Metahuman1
2011-06-23, 07:19 PM
Why not just play an elf and have martial weapons proficiency with Rapier, Longsword, Longbow and shortbow?

Or take a martial weapons proficiency feat?

Or play a battle Sorcerer form Unearthed Arcana and get a Martial weapons Proficiency?

Lateral
2011-06-23, 07:23 PM
Why not just play an elf and have martial weapons proficiency with Rapier, Longsword, Longbow and shortbow?

Or play a battle Sorcerer form Unearthed Arcana and get a Martial weapons Proficiency?

Because Knight Phantom requires proficiency with all martial weapons.

Edit: Having just read the description, it seems to me to be utterly useless since it requires +5 BAB, so I won't be able to get into Knight Phantom until at least 9th level. So, I suppose outsider race it is. Which one and what class should I use as an entry?

Analytica
2011-06-23, 07:30 PM
The Militia regional feat, which doesn't work for this because it's FR-specific and KF is Eberron-specific

FR-specific in name only, rather than tone - I used it for this very purpose to reflect a wizard who had served as a staff officer/artillery and had thus gone through military college, very officer-and-a-gentleman-like from a good Aundarian family. Still wore his uniform, a little mentally scarred from magic missiling children to keep them from revealing that their village had been occupied. Allowing it would barely even require refluffing, given that the war ended so recently.

Draz74
2011-06-23, 07:32 PM
There are alternatives to Dodge; Expeditious Dodge (RotW) and Midnight Dodge (MoI) to name two. I'm sure there are others though.

One more I know of: Desert Wind Dodge (ToB).

Expeditious Dodge is the only one that is really significantly better than the others, though, and only for certain types of characters.

Because the PrC requirement is proficiency with all martial weapons. And nobody has that many feats, even with Dark Chaos Shuffle.

Lateral
2011-06-23, 07:32 PM
FR-specific in name only, rather than tone - I used it for this very purpose to reflect a wizard who had served as a staff officer/artillery and had thus gone through military college, very officer-and-a-gentleman-like from a good Aundarian family. Still wore his uniform, a little mentally scarred from magic missiling children to keep them from revealing that their village had been occupied. Allowing it would barely even require refluffing, given that the war ended so recently.

I suppose I could do this, if the DM lets it fly, but I'd like to decide on an alternative just in case.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-23, 07:34 PM
Because Knight Phantom requires proficiency with all martial weapons.

Edit: Having just read the description, it seems to me to be utterly useless since it requires +5 BAB, so I won't be able to get into Knight Phantom until at least 9th level. So, I suppose outsider race it is. Which one and what class should I use as an entry?

The giant toad is the LA +0 option, or any (greater) planetouched will get you in; if you use LA bought of.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-23, 07:34 PM
You could enter with straight Duskblade and a dip in Wyrm Wizard or Extra Spell for the spell req.

Taelas
2011-06-23, 07:44 PM
The feat Otherworldy makes you become a native outsider, but it is also from Forgotten Realms.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-06-23, 07:57 PM
+0 LA Aasimar or Tiefling (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), you can delay spending a level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) on the +1 LA indefinitely. That gets you the Outsider creature type for proficiency in all martial weapons at no level adjustment.

Lateral
2011-06-23, 07:59 PM
+0 LA Aasimar or Tiefling (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), you can delay spending a level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) on the +1 LA indefinitely. That gets you the Outsider creature type for proficiency in all martial weapons at no level adjustment.

I know, I mentioned that already.

...*rechecks*

Huh. :smallconfused:

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 09:20 PM
Outsiders:
+0 LA - Neraphim
+1 LA - Aasimar, Bariaur, Bladeling, Chaond, Diabolus, Genesai, Maeluth, Mechanatrix, Mephling, Shadowswyft, Shyft, Tiefling, Wildren, Wispling, Zenythri
+2 LA - Fey'ri, Gloaming

Giants:
+1 LA - Half-giant
+2 LA - Half-ogre

...not including templates or feats that change your type.

sreservoir
2011-06-23, 10:42 PM
there are some somewhat interesting +1 planetouched in Dragon 297.