PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Divine Lightning Bolt

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 07:41 PM
Hey all,

I’m trying to find all the possible of ways to be able to cast Lightning Bolt as a divine spell by RAW (and by RAW, I don't mean "near enough", like a domain that gives Call Lightning). Primarily, this is to get into the Hexer PrC, but also just a general thought exercise.

- Adept 8
- Archivist 5 (copying an Adept scroll of Lightning Bolt into his prayer book)
- Favoured Soul 12 (Favoured of Bahamut/Tiamat ACF)
- Shugenja (fire element focus) 8

- Alternative Source Spell feat (requires arcane and divine casting)
- Draconic Legacy (topaz) feat (requires four draconic feats and the Dragontouched feat)
- Southern Magician feat (human only, regional)

- Dragonblood Pool (location) (? – not sure exactly how this is supposed to work)

...so any I have missed? I’m sure there’s more (PrCs etc.)

Cheers - T

Zaq
2011-06-23, 07:50 PM
A loose reading of the feat Extra Spell might work. Shaky RAW ground, but RAW ground nonetheless.

Psyren
2011-06-23, 07:51 PM
Greater Anyspell (Spell)
Miracle
Limited Wish (Various)
Wish (Envy)
(Greater) Shadow Evocation (Shadow)

faceroll
2011-06-23, 07:52 PM
This is relevant to my interests. Hexer is a boss PrC.

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 07:55 PM
This is relevant to my interests. Hexer is a boss PrC.
Indeed - it's obviously intended as a divine PrC, but if you can wrangle the reqs, it will advance either type of casting. There's really not many (any?) other 10/10 full BAB PrCs out there...

faceroll
2011-06-23, 07:56 PM
Indeed - it's obviously intended as a divine PrC, but if you can wrangle the reqs, it will advance either type of casting. There's really not many (any?) other 10/10 full BAB PrCs out there...

And it also has great class abilities.
Southern Magician looks like the easiest way to pick up the class on an arcane chassis, but you need a template or something due to the class pre-reqs.

Ernir
2011-06-23, 07:57 PM
Anyspell results in an arcane spell, not a divine one. The spell requires careful reading.

Dragonsblood Pool works to get divine casters to qualify as arcane casters, not the other way around as far as I am aware.

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 08:03 PM
And it also has great class abilities.
Southern Magician looks like the easiest way to pick up the class on an arcane chassis, but you need a template or something due to the class pre-reqs.
I have pondered if a Half-orc with the Human Heritage feat (RoD) could take Southern Magician?

Cog
2011-06-23, 08:06 PM
Worth noting is the Sha'ir, from Dragon Compendium. They are simultaneously arcane and divine; they can use Southern Magician or Alternative Source without losing any caster levels or jumping through other hoops, and get Lightning Bolt on their arcane side. They're a good entry for Geomancer for the same reason.

If you play one, you really, really want Arcane Preparation, though.

Stormageddon
2011-06-23, 08:20 PM
A loose reading of the PrC Geomancer does it, but that's 3.0.

dextercorvia
2011-06-23, 08:31 PM
Wyrm Wizard and Recaster of course grant knowledge of any spell to a character. IIRC, it would require losing two caster levels and shenanigans for a Divine caster to take them.

Psyren
2011-06-23, 08:38 PM
A loose reading of the PrC Geomancer does it, but that's 3.0.

It was updated to 3.5 in Complete Divine

Jack_Simth
2011-06-23, 08:59 PM
Anyspell results in an arcane spell, not a divine one. The spell requires careful reading.

Dragonsblood Pool works to get divine casters to qualify as arcane casters, not the other way around as far as I am aware.
What happens if you use Southern Magician on an Anyspell spell? Then it's just a domain choice, a feat, and finding a spellbook that has the spell in question....

dextercorvia
2011-06-23, 09:37 PM
What happens if you use Southern Magician on an Anyspell spell? Then it's just a domain choice, a feat, and finding a spellbook that has the spell in question....

That's probably the most straightforward route. However, it won't happen until at least ECL11.

Wizard with Southern Magician is the most straightforward. What does Hexer advance?

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 09:46 PM
That's probably the most straightforward route. However, it won't happen until at least ECL11.

Wizard with Southern Magician is the most straightforward. What does Hexer advance?
Hexer advances spellcasting (either kind) +1/level (10/10), and is also full BAB.

It has a racial req, which makes it problematic for humans to enter (hence, difficulty with Southern Magician), You basically need to be a goblinoid, orc, gnoll or monstrous humanoid. It also has the proviso "or other savage humanoid race", which is a bit open to interpretation.

Qwertystop
2011-06-23, 09:54 PM
There should absolutely have been a way to do this in core. What's more iconic to Godly Magic than lightning?

dextercorvia
2011-06-23, 09:55 PM
Hexer advances spellcasting (either kind) +1/level (10/10), and is also full BAB.

It has a racial req, which makes it problematic for humans to enter (hence, difficulty with Southern Magician), You basically need to be a goblinoid, orc, gnoll or monstrous humanoid. It also has the proviso "or other savage humanoid race", which is a bit open to interpretation.

If you can swing buy off, Neanderthal from Frostburn is passes as human as far as prereqs go, but is definitely a primitive humanoid. Probably want to go for Sorcerer instead, in that case. They have an Int penalty.

Thurbane
2011-06-23, 10:03 PM
There should absolutely have been a way to do this in core. What's more iconic to Godly Magic than lightning?
Well, technically Adept is core, even though it's an NPC class.

Call Lightning probably covers the "bolt from the heavens" trope, anyhow.

Leon
2011-06-25, 09:05 AM
If you are open to Non WotC material.

IKRPG Druid (http://ik-srd.wikispaces.com/Circle+Druid) Its official, just found it online at that site otherwise you will have to get a copy of the No Quarter that it appeared in (Issue 10)

Lightning Bolt is a 4th Lvl spell

Greenish
2011-06-25, 09:20 AM
There's really not many (any?) other 10/10 full BAB PrCs out there...Well, Windwalker (Faiths & Pantheons) is a 10/10 divine casting, full BAB, 6+int skills PrC. It's a bit difficult to enter before mid levels though.