PDA

View Full Version : Information on aberrations

iDesu
2011-06-23, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking of making an aberration based campaign and I'd like to get as much information on aberrations as possible. I know about Lords of Madness and intend to take look at that, but are there any other books that I can find fluff about aberrations in? The edition of the books don't matter, just that they have fluff information about aberrations.

Big Fau
2011-06-23, 09:44 PM
Eberron splats have a few. Secrets of Sarlona has at least one or two.

MM3, 4, and 5 all have good Aberrations (especially MM5).

The-Mage-King
2011-06-23, 11:49 PM
Eberron splats have a few. Secrets of Sarlona has at least one or two.

MM3, 4, and 5 all have good Aberrations (especially MM5).

Indeed. What Fau had to say is accurate. I'd suggest Magic of Eberron, specifcally, for one of the Eberron splats to look at. Secrets of Sarlona is another good one.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-23, 11:52 PM
AD&D had tons of them that are capable of being used in 3.5 with tweaking.

big teej
2011-06-24, 11:31 AM
Kythons from the book of Vile Darkness.

serve all your needs from low level to high.

Mauther
2011-06-24, 12:07 PM
There are also a couple articles in various Dragon and Dungeon issues. Depending on what exactly your looking for. They also popup in Manual of the Planes in very broad terms when talking about the Far Realms and Dream Realms. And jumping systems a little but, you can get a lot of fluff from the old Call of Cthulu game (granted its the Cthuloid variant of aberrations).

And how dare you have a conversation about abberations on the same site as Order of the Stick and not mention the Flumph.

LOTRfan
2011-06-24, 12:24 PM
Misfit Monsters Redeemed, while Pathfinder, can be used for Flail Snails, Flumphs, and Wolves-In-Sheep's-Clothing with minor mechanical tweaks.

nyarlathotep
2011-06-24, 03:09 PM
The only 2nd edition book I, Tyrant and The Illithiad are both excellent guides fluff wise to the beholders and mindflayers respectively though some of it contradicts Lords of Madness, use whichever you like more when there is conflict.

terminusdrop321
2011-06-24, 04:29 PM
Lords of madness

Codemus
2011-06-24, 06:24 PM
Lords of madness

^ Has indepth coverage of Illithids, beholders, and Grell, and some minor splashes of others. Including Neogi, which are awesome.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-24, 06:38 PM
I offer up the first Spelljammer book for AD&D as a great book for aberrations; it has new Beholders and invented the Neogi.

Jeebers
2011-07-02, 09:04 PM
Most of what the previous posters gave you is purely mechanical in nature. What I'm about to offer is much more about the tone and flavor of your campaign.

Heroes of Horror (3.5), the d20 version of Call of Cthulhu, any short story or novel by HP Lovecraft, Underdark (Forgotten Realms D&D3.5).