PDA

View Full Version : Level 8 Cleric things to buy

hobbitkniver
2011-06-23, 10:58 PM
So, due to my lack of things to buy, I have amassed 15000 gold with my level 8 dwarven cleric who is much more spellcaster than melee oriented. I already have full plate and just got a magic weapon, so I'm looking at accesories or extra items. Any advice? I can save up for something if need be. Our DM will basically let us buy anything in any book for the indicated price.

holywhippet
2011-06-23, 11:10 PM
Wands of cure X wounds are always handy to have in reserve - running out of healing is always bad.

As such, healing belts can be good to have in reserve also.

An item to boost your WIS stat is a good idea for a cleric.

Boots of speed or boots of striding and springing - good for getting into position or out of trouble.

Depending on your circumstances, a lyre of building can have some interesting uses.

Morbis Meh
2011-06-23, 11:13 PM
You sir have just enough for a belt of battle from the Magical Item Compendium! It is worth every gold piece!

hobbitkniver
2011-06-23, 11:14 PM
We always rest enough that I never run out of spells. As for wisdom, the number of bonus spells per cost is so low, I can't understand why you'd bother.

Toliudar
2011-06-23, 11:19 PM
Well, if you're mostly a spellcaster, sometimes you're going to want to cast spells that require a saving throw. Increasing your wisdom does this, and gives you more of your best class feature - spells. And improves your will save. Definitely worth a +2 boost, and maybe saving up for the +4.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-06-23, 11:33 PM
A standard Strand of Prayer Beads which has had the Bead of Smiting removed; as per DMG pricing it should cost 9,000 gp, it contains the beads of Healing and Karma.

A Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend, 3,000 gp.

A heavy steel shield if you don't already have one.

Each day use the Bead of Karma prior to casting your daily buffs, so you'll be at caster level 12. Use the Rod of Extend to put Magic Vestment on your armor and shield so each gets a +3 enhancement for 24 hours. You should also consider casting Greater Resistance on yourself each day, it already lasts 24 hours regardless of caster level, though it would take one of your highest level spell slots.

hobbitkniver
2011-06-23, 11:45 PM
A standard Strand of Prayer Beads which has had the Bead of Smiting removed; as per DMG pricing it should cost 9,000 gp, it contains the beads of Healing and Karma.

A Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend, 3,000 gp.

A heavy steel shield if you don't already have one.

Each day use the Bead of Karma prior to casting your daily buffs, so you'll be at caster level 12. Use the Rod of Extend to put Magic Vestment on your armor and shield so each gets a +3 enhancement for 24 hours. You should also consider casting Greater Resistance on yourself each day, it already lasts 24 hours regardless of caster level, though it would take one of your highest level spell slots.

So thats 6 more armor class? How long does it last?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-06-24, 12:14 AM
So thats 6 more armor class? How long does it last?

24 hours...

Snails
2011-06-24, 12:15 AM
A couple of the cheap rods of metamagic are a good buy. Extend is nice (3k). Silent (3k) gives you useful options if someone casts Silence on you (or you want to travel quietly and still might want to cast).

Cape of the Mountebank (10.8k) is a extremely valuable. You are hitting levels when a lack of mobility options can be deadly.

Boots of Striding & Springing (6k?). Not flashy, but 20' move (assuming you wear heavy armor) is just not good enough.

Winged Boots (16k). A flashy item and not for the stingy. But you could have some real fun with it. Not as reliable for the escape as the Cape, but very good for offense, defense, and getting to your friends quickly.

Coidzor
2011-06-24, 12:29 AM
Well, if you're mostly a spellcaster, sometimes you're going to want to cast spells that require a saving throw. Increasing your wisdom does this, and gives you more of your best class feature - spells. And improves your will save. Definitely worth a +2 boost, and maybe saving up for the +4.

Or paying the difference to make a +2 into a +4 as per the MIC rules if that's possible.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-24, 12:42 AM
Lesser Metamagic Rod of Maximize will take it all and turn it into amazing. Though it will make you something of a nova at that.

Amnestic
2011-06-24, 02:31 AM
You sir have just enough for a belt of battle from the Magical Item Compendium! It is worth every gold piece!

What this person said. Belt of Battle runs you 12000gp, so you've got more than enough.

hobbitkniver
2011-06-24, 04:54 AM
Lesser Metamagic Rod of Maximize will take it all and turn it into amazing. Though it will make you something of a nova at that.

I've already got Divine Metamagic: Maximize which lets me maximize for turn undeads.

Socratov
2011-06-24, 05:07 AM
You might want to look out for tomes of +stats for an inherent bonus to your stats, they might be expensive though... (inherent stats can be stacked again and again, reaching real high stats :smallsmile: )

Feytalist
2011-06-24, 05:21 AM
Small, useful items like the Ring of Maximised Healing could also help, only if it just X times per day.

Callista
2011-06-24, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure if that's enough for a Contingency->Revivification, but if it is, it's worth it unless there's another cleric. If anybody but the cleric gets killed, you can bring them back, but if the cleric gets killed, you're in trouble. (For "cleric" read "anyone capable of major healing magic".) Just make sure you have Dispel bait spells up to make it less likely that you'll lose it. You're not dealing with save-or-dies now, but you will be in the future.

If you don't want to dump so much money into one thing, though, I think investing in a good scroll collection would be a good idea. You can't memorize every spell every day, after all. Focus on the ones that you wouldn't memorize daily, but when you need them you REALLY need them, and on backups of spells you're likely to run out of, and have a Handy Haversack so you don't have to rummage for them.

If you're worried about breaking wealth-by-level, build yourself a little temple in a town that doesn't have one. It would give your party a home base, and later on will give you a safe place to set things like word of recall; plus it give the DM some interesting plot hooks--people will come to temples for help, nasty things can attack them, interesting things can happen there when people have visions, parties of adventurers stop there to get healing, etc.