PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Character concept] Mind-reading knife/shuriken thrower

Lassaurus
2011-06-24, 03:31 AM
I want to create a character thats likes to keep his distance. both in combat and when it comes to interacting with NPCs. He is somewhat shy and don't like direct conflicts.

So I was thinking of a guy who throws knifes or shurikens and maybe had some kind of retractable blade as backup just incase he ends up in melee.
And when he needs information or needs people to do what he wants he uses telepathy to read and/or control their minds to some degree.
And maybe some mans of getting out of melee in a smart way. he will always try to get out of a melee situation if possible

Human
Ranger 5/Master thrower 4/mindbender?

Will this be possible to do? What feats should be used? are there other classes that uses telepathy exept Mindbender?

Any suggestions will be most apriciated :)

ps: DM has banned Psionics. besides that all 3.5 books are allowed

Heatwizard
2011-06-24, 03:54 AM
Tome of Battle has Bloodstorm Blade, which lets you throw stuff and apply maneuvers to 'em. No telepathy, though some White Raven and Shadow Hand maneuvers let you shuffle around the battlefield pretty well; short-range teleports, your 5-foot steps become 10-foot steps...

Kojiro
2011-06-24, 04:04 AM
Can't help much here, sadly, beyond the well-known advice that certain ranged attack feats also apply to thrown weapons. Also, Complete Scoundrel has exactly the kind of weapon you're looking for, for the retracting blade. Just go to the Hidden Weapons section.

Lassaurus
2011-06-24, 04:25 AM
yeah I think Swordsage 5/Bloodstorm Blade 5 may be a good solution to be a good thrower and have some retreating manuevers from Shadow hand.

And then maybe Bard 1/Mindbender 4. bard to get access to charm person (required for mindbender)

GeekGirl
2011-06-24, 08:32 AM
If you want some decent damage out of the shurikens, you can use Ninja/Master thrower.Ghost Step with rapid shot can be nice.
Mindbender also requires 5th level arcane caster. You have to take at least 9 level of a caster before you can take Mindbender. I'm not sure of any other easy way to get telepathy.

Caliphbubba
2011-06-24, 08:49 AM
I don't recall off-hand if the Beguiler can meet the pre-reqs of being able to cast two divinations, but if they can I think a Beguiler/Unseen Seer/with a Mindbender dip might be what you're after if you'd rather go the more magical route. I'm sure you could even get into Master Thrower still if you spend your feats wisely.

Alternately you could use the Fighter Feat Wizard/Rogue to do the same thing.

Fighter Feat Conjurer with Abrupt Jaunt/Rogue/Mind Bender/Unseen Seer with maybe a level of Master Thrower in there to taste?

Psyren
2011-06-24, 08:57 AM
Conceptually, Mindspy (Complete Warrior) is perfect for this idea, especially since their anticipate bonuses apply to ranged attacks too. In practice it's a bit weak though.

Cog
2011-06-24, 09:56 AM
Mindbender also requires 5th level arcane caster. You have to take at least 9 level of a caster before you can take Mindbender.
Hunh? That's 5th caster level, not casts 5th level spells. Very different; for most classes that's 5th class level as well.

Caliphbubba
2011-06-24, 10:52 AM
I've been tinkering with a build something like:
Human
Level 1: +0 BAB Rogue 1: Point Blank Shot, Able Learner
Level 2: +0 BAB Feat Conjuror 1: Precise Shot, Aburpt Jaunt
Level 3: +1 BAB Feat Conjuror 2: Weapon Focus(Dagger)
level 4: +1 BAB Feat Conjuror 3
Level 5: +2BAB Feat Conjuror 4
Level 6: +2 BAB Mindbender 1: Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt
Level 7: +2 BAB Unseen Seer 1
Level 8: +3 BAB Unseen Seer 2
Level 9: +4 BAB Unseen Seer 3: Craven maybe?
Level 10: Feat Conjuror 5: Martial Stance: Assassin’s Stance

it'd work out better if you could get your DM to let you use fractional BAB

From there if you finish out Unseen Seer you could end up with 7d6(plus craven?) sneak attack damage, Sweet divinations from other spell lists(I'm sure there are some sweet Ranger ones I can't think of right now) still pick a level (or two) of Mindspy and/or Master Thrower (or one of each), still get level 9 spells at 20.

So Teleport around, read peoples minds, summon flanking buddies...activate Sneak Attack with ranged touch spells (or probably find away to make your dagger throws touch attacks as well).

I might have to play this character lol

Lassaurus
2011-06-24, 02:11 PM
That build looks great. but I think I will keep the magic use to a minimal exept for the teleporting and mindreading
And I had totaly forgotten about the 5 caster lvls required for Mindbender.

So I think Swordsage/Bloodstorm Blade and a few levels of mindspy might be a great idea and maybe som levels of master thrower

GeekGirl
2011-06-24, 11:53 PM
Hunh? That's 5th caster level, not casts 5th level spells. Very different; for most classes that's 5th class level as well.

My bad, I totally miss read that... My bad. :smalleek:

Caliphbubba
2011-06-25, 03:50 AM
That build looks great. but I think I will keep the magic use to a minimal exept for the teleporting and mindreading
And I had totaly forgotten about the 5 caster lvls required for Mindbender.

So I think Swordsage/Bloodstorm Blade and a few levels of mindspy might be a great idea and maybe som levels of master thrower

that's fair. Here are some points to remember though...You still need to get to cast Detect Thoughts somehow to get your levels of Mind Spy, which is gonna be 3 level of Wizard or I guess just one if you go Precocious Apprentice...but then you can only cast it once per day, and you'd have to take the Wizard level at 1st level, which will screw your skills up. You could get Beguiler4 to get Detect Thoughts and get more skills or get Sor4 and get to pick what other spells you know. *shrug*

And Second: Bloodstorm Blade requires Iron Heart maneuver/stance and Swordsages don't get Iron Heart natively, so you'll have to blow feats on getting a strike and a stance if you don't multi-class as a warblade.

if I have time tomorrow I might look at mocking up a build like this. otherwise, good luck :smallwink:

Cerlis
2011-06-25, 08:26 AM
Hear the Unseen could be reflavored to "Feeling a mind" rather than hearing and sensing the enemy. Though you'd want to be prepared for your DM to take advantage and throw in a few mindless ambushers.

Admiral Squish
2011-06-25, 08:47 AM
Cabinet Trickster 5 then Mindspy 5 gives you at-will detect thoughts on four targets at once, which gets down to surface thoughts on the first turn and can be concentrated on as a free action. Plus, it also gives you thought tricks, which means you can spend a swift action each round to stun someone whose mind you're reading. Not daze, STUN.

Now, I can't be much help with the throwing, but that's the best way I know to get crazy-awesome mind reading. It DOES require you to be a changeling, though...