PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Planning an encounter with custom solo monster, too hard?

caesium
2011-06-24, 07:29 AM
Hi all, forgive me if this is out of place but I found a similar thread in a google search (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131022) and was wondering if I might be able to have a similar discussion.

I am planning the final fight for an adventure for a party of 5 2nd level characters and was wondering if it might be too hard for them. This is my first time throwing a solo monster at my gaming group. I am designing this as a level 5 encounter, as they easily crushed a level 6 encounter last session.

The basic concept behind the encounter is that the PCs track down the villain in the story and he flees, summoning up a monster to buy him time while he escapes. The monster I came up with is a Crystal Spider with the Scion of Flame template, then bumped up to be a solo monster. I modified some of the power names to be fire oriented instead of radiant.

During this encounter I will have the spider retreat at about 3/4 HP using its concealment/stealth abilities and spawn a number of smaller minion spiders for the party to fight, and then the solo monster returns when all minions are dead. The idea is that this will give them a chance to heal up, and to make the fight not seem like a grindfest. I was thinking 8 minion spiders, I don't know if this is a good number or not. I was thinking of making the squares they spawn in (dropping down from ceiling via web) be a weak crystal web trap (1d6 damage if PC enters square) to make the solo monster's push effect more interesting later in the fight.

With that said, here is the solo monster I created, please let me know if this is appropriate, thanks!

Scion of Flame Crystal Spider
Level 5 Solo Skirmisher
Large magical beast (spider)
XP 1,000

HP 208; Bloodied 104
AC 20, Fortitude 17, Reflex 21, Will 17
Speed 8, climb 8 (spider climb)
Resist 5 radiant, 5 fire; Vulnerable 5 thunder
Saving Throws +5; Action Points 2

Initiative +10
Perception +9
Tremorsense 10

Traits
-----------------
Smoking Carapace
When the crystal spider moves at least 5 squares during its turn, it gains concealment until the end of its next turn when it is not bloodied.

Burning Aura (fire) • Aura 1
Enemies that start their turns in the aura take 5 fire damage when the spider is bloodied.

Standard Actions
----------------------------
Razor Leg • At-Will
Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +10 vs. AC
Hit: 2d6 + 5 damage

Double Attack • At-Will
The spider makes two razor leg attacks.

Bite (fire) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature that cannot see the spider); +8 vs Fortitude
Hit: 2d6 + 1 fire damage, and ongoing 10 poison damage (save ends).

Flaring Agony • Recharge when the spider uses bite or when no enemy is blinded
Attack: Close Burst 2 (creatures in the burst); +6 vs Fortitude
Hit: The spider pushes the target 3 squares, and the target is blinded until the end of the spider's next turn.

Flame Spit (fire) • Recharge 5
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +8 vs Reflex
Hit: 4d6 fire damage, the target is blinded until the end of the spider's next turn, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

Other Powers
------------------------
Body of Flame
Any creature that hits the spider with a melee attack takes 4 fire damage.

Skills Stealth +11
Str 10 (+2)
Con 9 (+1)
Dex 18 (+6)
Int 1 (-3)
Wis 14 (+4)
Cha 3 (-2)
Alignment unaligned
Languages -