PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly: we're in space!

Morph Bark
2011-06-24, 09:16 AM
Inspired by the ending of the game
Portal 2

What if you ended up in outer space? What would you rule, mechanically, would happen then? Of course you'd start suffocating, but there are races that are immune to that. The surface temperature of the moon on the equator during the day is about 390 Kelvin, during night around 100 Kelvin. I dunno how much that is in Fahrenheit, but I'm sure that you'd end up with some nonlethal/cold/fire damage. What else?

The Glyphstone
2011-06-24, 09:19 AM
Because it must be said:

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Nailed To The Sky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm) has the effects of being in orbit.

Telonius
2011-06-24, 09:21 AM
If you're out in the vacuum, not orbiting anything? Verbal components and anything sonic stops working. All non-magical means of flight stop working (wings are near-useless).

Morph Bark
2011-06-24, 09:45 AM
Because it must be said:

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Nailed To The Sky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm) has the effects of being in orbit.

Well that was a quick answer. Thanks!

Re'ozul
2011-06-24, 10:10 AM
I'd like to kill some catgirls by pointing out that while heat and radiation are an immediate threat cold isn't so much.

Xanmyral
2011-06-24, 10:30 AM
Well, first you would need a way to get around. Walking won't do anything, nor flying as there isn't anything to actually flap your wings in. Magical flight might work, but if you want to move you will have to rebound off of surfaces. Suffocation would be bad, but if you didn't need to breath it would be solved. The heat and cold would also be bad, but if you were immune to both then you won't need to worry about either. Really though, I imagine it will be very boring. Everything you see is black, except for the sun and planets if lighted up. Sure some stars but you won't really see them very well. I remember a thread about the effects of space on a ship after years, that would cover other stuff as well.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-24, 10:38 AM
Hopefully you had a necklace of adaptation before you ended up on the moon.

If you traveled to space by another means, such as a Spelljammer Ship, you might be just fine.