PDA

View Full Version : Lego Heroica

Tyndmyr
2011-06-24, 01:21 PM
So, for those who haven't yet played....Heroica is basically a mini-dungeon in lego, set at a smaller scale than standard legos. It already has three expansions, which add different dungeon areas. It's a typically competitive game, but it's your basic dungeon crashing, pick your character class, get the gold, kill the monsters, buy new toys, etc game. It's basically a starter RPG system.

It's also frigging fantastic for mapping dungeons.

I've already got one copy of all the expansions, and we've played it straight a few times...and now we're feeling the urge to modify the game to make it a more complicated RP system. More potions and powers, that sort of thing. Definitely adding more copies to expand the overall dungeon size. What's everyone else's opinions on this game?

dsmiles
2011-06-24, 01:25 PM
Wait. What? Lego Dungeons? I have to go look this up. *scurries off to the googles*

Tyndmyr
2011-06-24, 01:32 PM
http://shop.lego.com/ByCategory/Product.aspx?p=3859&cn=594&d=292

There's six unique PC types between the different expansions, and you'll get a fair number of duplicates if you buy all four.

Your basic game mechanic is to roll a die...the die gives you a result from 1-4, which is movement. A result of 4 also allows you to use a special power(options vary depending on class, gear, loot, etc). Contact with a monster results in combat(roll for results). Contact with a chest allows you to open it(roll for results). Contact with a dungeon obstacle like a wall is typically handled like combat, save for no damage to the PC. Potions and such can be used on your turn at any time.

It's fairly elegant, but the instructions are not perfect, IMO. I'm contemplating doing a full write-up on it, with additional rules to allow more freedom.

Edit: this new mini-scale appears to be used in their other games as well...I mostly don't care about them, but they may be viable sources of additional pieces. This could be a pretty effective way of mapping.

stainboy
2011-06-24, 01:36 PM
So it's Talisman with legos? That sounds awesome.

rayne_dragon
2011-06-24, 10:29 PM
This looks really cool, especially the figures, but the way the 'board' is layed out in the pictures makes it look like it's extremely limited in terms of making a layout for a dungeon. It seems a lot like it's just narrow hallways and small rooms - using regular legos seems like a better way to map out rooms, although the figures seem like they'd be far more versatile.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-25, 12:48 PM
This looks really cool, especially the figures, but the way the 'board' is layed out in the pictures makes it look like it's extremely limited in terms of making a layout for a dungeon. It seems a lot like it's just narrow hallways and small rooms - using regular legos seems like a better way to map out rooms, although the figures seem like they'd be far more versatile.

It does tend heavily toward small rooms and narrow hallways...but a lot of those pieces are fairly standard lego parts, so you can raid your local lego shop for more. And you certainly don't *have* to use them the way they suggest. The unique things, like the weapons, mini helmets, keys, etcs are the bits you can't easily replicate elsewhere(with the notable exception of the blacksmith shop).

Some bits, like the potions, have lots of other possibilities for colors elsewhere in the lego range. This is pretty much perfect for homebrewers.

Qanael
2011-06-25, 01:22 PM
Ooh, this is cool. My friends and I would use Legos for mapping 3.5 dungeons years ago. It was a lot of fun.

Vorpalbob
2011-06-25, 02:32 PM
I remember doing this sort of thing when I had boatloads of lego. Just grab a minifig and customize for your character! Playing a halfling? Just pull the legs off and replace with a 1x2 brick. Playing a dwarf? Snap on a beard. SO awesome.

some guy
2011-06-25, 03:59 PM
I usually use wet-erase mats, but now I'm very tempted switch to mini-mini-figs, let my players get used to change in scale and then one encounter, make one room 40x40 and once the players enter that room, place this little baby in the middle of it:

http://fotos.marktplaats.com/kopen/7/f9/Rf3nYCh58J1R1fX8r21jHw==.jpg
With normal lego mini-figs, it's probably a large sized dragon, but with mini-mini-figs? Colossal.
The nice thing about it? I got three of those dragons.

MostlyHarmless
2011-07-11, 04:29 PM
This looks awesome and we already have some other Lego games with the mini-mini figures. Some of those sets are at closeout prices now and with what has been available in the past you could collect pirates, ninjas, knights, Greek warriors and a minotaur among other things. We have Hogwarts so we could do a Harry Potter themed dungeon crawl with Ron, Harry, Hermione and Dumbledore. It's up to the imagination what sort of mini-monsters you could make. We already have rats, spiders, owls and a small dragon.

With the little character "backpack" you keep track of what gear you are carrying and even though the mini-minis don't have hands you can use the standard minifigure weapons to show what you are carrying with anything you might have in your collections.

Although the standard game rule is competitive it offers an option to play with a GM and I've seen house rules for a more standard cooperative dungeon crawl. Great job Lego!!!

Also, if you just need the little 4x4 tile with 1 knob you can order them as many as you like on the Lego Pick a Brick store: Plate 2X2 W 1 Knob

I'm thinking of using the 1x2 with 1 knob instead because those are already plentiful in our collection and would allow two players to stand in the same 2x2 area. Heck, just make the rules fit with what pieces you have.

veven
2011-07-11, 06:05 PM
I feel like this thread just happened...Maybe I'm crazy.

Anyway, in said thread, this (http://www.brickquest.com/brickquest/modules.htm) was linked and it is amazing.

EccentricCircle
2011-07-12, 11:42 AM
Hmmmm, is this not available in Britain? as I've never seen it at the lego shop and can't seem to find it on the Lego website either?
looks pretty cool. although the best bits are probably the weapons which you note are now available in the blacksmiths forge model. the new heads for orcs and such look pretty cool though.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-12, 01:03 PM
I feel like this thread just happened...Maybe I'm crazy.

Anyway, in said thread, this (http://www.brickquest.com/brickquest/modules.htm) was linked and it is amazing.

It did happen. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204350) I was the perp.

However, that link is awesome.