PDA

View Full Version : Need help with optimizing this defender.

ignayshus
2011-06-24, 06:25 PM
Setting:Low magic campaign, but wizards are a threat.

Goal:I need to be able to RELIABLY defend a party of 4 from level 4+ in a 50/50 slasher/social campaign that will go for a very long time. I do not wish to do so much damage that I can solo encounters or completely outshine the rest of the party, but I still want to hit like a beast in order to remain a threat. Role and progression has to be RP-able.

Rules:Level 4 human, base stats before levels are 16,16,16,13,12,10 yet to be attributed, no flaws allowed. Crusader/Swordsage/Warblade and all 9th level casters are out.

I've been house-ruled dex to hit with light weapons so Weapon Finesse now grants dex to dmg instead also Monastic Training is given freely if usable.

Concept:Use Stand Still and Martial Throw for field control with Expansion and only use Unarmed Strikes for enough damage to prove myself a primary threat. Dex/Con/Wis and powers to fuel AC with maybe Intuitive Attack if I can get it, to allow me to make use of +attk powered feats to boost AC perhaps allowing use of feats like Robilar's and Karmic Strike.

Dex>Wis>Con>Str>Int>Cha while focusing points only on first 3.

Build:Initially I was thinking Monk2/Psywar4/Warshaper1/FotF3/PsywarX, but I think the DM will kill that on RP and warshaper might be overpowered.

1) City Brawler Barbarian 1: Light Armor, Simple Weapons, +10ft Movement, Improvised Weapons only take -2 penalty
- FEATS: (class)Improved Unarmed Strike, (class)Two-Weapon Fighting (Unarmed Strike only), (human) Combat Expertise, (level) Martial Throw

2) Vigilant Monk of the Invisible Eye (ACF Decisive Strike) 1: (class)Superior Unarmed Strike?*, (monk)Combat Reflexes
3) Vigilant Monk of the Invisible Eye 2: (class)Evasion, (class)Uncanny Dodge (level)Weapon Finesse (unarmed)

4) Psychic Warrior (ACF Mantled) 1: (psyw)Stand Still
5) Psychic Warrior 2: (psyw)Greater Fortitude
6) Psychic Warrior 3: (level)Tashlatora
7) Psychic Warrior 4:

8) Fist of the Forest 1: (fotf)Dash, Feral Stance 1/day, unarmed attacks +1d6 blunt dmg, base Con to dodge AC
9) Fist of the Forest 2: (class)Improved Uncanny Dodge, (class)KiStrike(Magic), (level) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10) Fist of the Forest 3: (fotf)Blind-Fight, Feral Stance 2/day

11) Psychic Warrior 5: (psyw) ______________
12) Psychic Warrior 6: (level) ______________
13) Psychic Warrior 7:
14) Psychic Warrior 8: (psyw) ______________
15) Psychic Warrior 9: (level) ______________
16) Psychic Warrior 10:
17) Psychic Warrior 11: (psyw) ______________
18) Psychic Warrior 12: (level) ______________
19) Psychic Warrior 13:
20) Psychic Warrior 14: (psyw) ______________

*Already get Imp Unarmed Strike from Barb, so going to ask DM for Superior Unarmed.

Question:What are your thoughts on the first 10 levels? Also I'm not really sure where to go from level 10 on so some suggestions there would be nice as well.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-24, 06:28 PM
Have you thought about four levels of Knight? It is great for pulling enemies to you. You could also try this feat (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20) I cooked up, but it does rely on a subsystem of my own devising. Without that subsystem, it amounts to "gain a new ability every other level."

ignayshus
2011-06-24, 08:33 PM
I'd considered 3-4 in knight with martial study into setting sun for the difficult terrain stance, but I was really looking for help on whether my build looks viable for its intended role.

Also knight honor code can get annoying with chaotic and neutral party members, who don't want to deal with the code. Plus, I really hate the trip mechanic.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-24, 08:42 PM
Ah. Can you qualify for Invisible Fist ACF? There are multitudes of times when invisibility is killer.

Why TWF?

ignayshus
2011-06-24, 09:36 PM
It seemed thematically correct for a monk.

Why what would you recommend?

Fax Celestis
2011-06-24, 10:22 PM
Anything else, really. TWF is pretty terrible.