PDA

View Full Version : Help With Cleric Bonus Spells

isilartiou
2011-06-24, 06:40 PM
I'm relatively new to pen and paper D&D 3.5e, and I'm trying to help out one of my friends in the department of determining just how many spells he'll be able to cast beyond the table presented in the Players Handbook.

Essentially, I'm wondering how many bonus spells he'll get as a result of his Wisdom score, which is only 17.

He is level one!

Sorry for this silly question.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-24, 06:42 PM
A first level spell, a second level spell and a third level spell. When he increases his Wisdom to 18, he'll get an extra fourth level spell. Consult the table here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters).

EDIT: As a first level cleric, the bonus only gives him an extra first level spell. He gains access to the rest of the extra spells at cleric levels 3 and 5.

Lord Ruby34
2011-06-24, 06:43 PM
Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores) You can find it on pg. 8 of the players handbook.

EDIT: Swordsage'd

isilartiou
2011-06-24, 06:45 PM
Thank you both. I appreciate it. I can't believe I missed that diagram in the handbook.

myancey
2011-06-24, 06:45 PM

There are no silly questions, only silly pants.

I'm relatively new to pen and paper D&D 3.5e, and I'm trying to help out one of my friends in the department of determining just how many spells he'll be able to cast beyond the table presented in the Players Handbook.

Essentially, I'm wondering how many bonus spells he'll get as a result of his Wisdom score, which is only 17.

He would get one 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd. He couldn't use the 2nd and 3rd level spells since he isn't high enough in level. So he gets 1 level 1 bonus spell.

If you count the "+1" domain spell as a bonus spell..you'd have another.

NNescio
2011-06-24, 06:48 PM

He is level one!

Okay, here's how you do this.

First, you consult the Cleric's Spells per Day table. At level 1, he gets three 0th-level spells, a single 1st-level spell, and a 1st-level domain spell.

Next, refer to the Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells table. A Wisdom score of 17 gives a +3 modifier. This gives him a single bonus 1st-level spell. Note that he does not get the bonus 2nd and 3rd-level spells since he can't cast them yet, and ability modifiers never give bonus 0th-level spells.

This gives him a total of three 0th-level spells, two 1st-level spells, and a single 1st-level domain spell, for a sum of six spells overall.

Shadowknight12
2011-06-24, 06:48 PM
Thank you both. I appreciate it. I can't believe I missed that diagram in the handbook.

No problem, that's what the Playground's for. :smallwink:

There are no silly questions, only silly pants.

And silly hats. Never forget the silly hats.

isilartiou
2011-06-24, 06:58 PM
Heh, thank you other guys, too. I am helping my DM set up some character sheets for people who have not only not played before, but are blind as well. We are going to be playing via Ventrilo (seeing as we don't know eachother IRL).

I believe only myself and the DM are not blind. All the same, the reason I brought this up is because A) I overlooked that chart the first two posters linked me to[thank you], and B) because their screen readers have trouble reading the handbook PDF file.

Anyway! I may have more newbie-ish questions. Should I post them here if I do, or start a new thread?

myancey
2011-06-24, 07:03 PM
Heh, thank you other guys, too. I am helping my DM set up some character sheets for people who have not only not played before, but are blind as well. We are going to be playing via Ventrilo (seeing as we don't know eachother IRL).

I believe only myself and the DM are not blind. All the same, the reason I brought this up is because A) I overlooked that chart the first two posters linked me to[thank you], and B) because their screen readers have trouble reading the handbook PDF file.

Anyway! I may have more newbie-ish questions. Should I post them here if I do, or start a new thread?

That really awesome. I've had great experiences with the game, and hope you guys do as well.

May I ask, how do you guys plan on doing character sheets? Are you guys using braille typers?

isilartiou
2011-06-24, 07:14 PM
Pretty much, my DM came up with a template based on character sheets that are generally supplied with the actual game, in rich text file format. I helped her sort it out so that it read well on their screen readers.

All of the blind players are expert typists, but absolutely new when it comes to the game. I think they might have braile keyboards, but I'm not positive.

The first time around, her and I are going to be filling in their character sheets for them while going through and finding out what it is they want to start out with. They just had to go and pick some of the more complicated starting classes. (Sorcerer and a Cleric, as opposed to, say, a Barbarian)

The DM has also devised some sort of combat system that somehow manages to stay within the general rules, but I have yet to see it in action. I imagine much confusion will be had the first few fights.

myancey
2011-06-24, 07:17 PM
Pretty much, my DM came up with a template based on character sheets that are generally supplied with the actual game, in rich text file format. I helped her sort it out so that it read well on their screen readers.

All of the blind players are expert typists, but absolutely new when it comes to the game. I think they might have braile keyboards, but I'm not positive.

The first time around, her and I are going to be filling in their character sheets for them while going through and finding out what it is they want to start out with. They just had to go and pick some of the more complicated starting classes. (Sorcerer and a Cleric, as opposed to, say, a Barbarian)

The DM has also devised some sort of combat system that somehow manages to stay within the general rules, but I have yet to see it in action. I imagine much confusion will be had the first few fights.

Yeah, my friend and I were discussing it. It'd be difficult to even relay visualizations of distance, wouldn't it? Combat would be pretty interesting to work out.

Again, props.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-06-24, 07:51 PM

I guess you can do as you please :smallsmile:. Seeing how this project of yours yields attention and sympathy from forummers here, you might as well keep it in one thread. In that case I do advice you to change the topic title to something more appropriate (indicating you seek help with your special situation). Maybe you could turn it into a thread in which you inform people here on how it is working out mixed with you asking questions about how to deal with certain situations. Soon enough the questions won't be about cleric bonus spells and your title is there to grab people's attention.

Also, I would like to point you to the Q&A (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196174&page=37) thread and of course, the search function of this forum and google. This may sound patronizing, but doing a search answers 90%+ of the questions I have.

Anyway, good luck with your campaign. I hope it works out well!

erikun
2011-06-24, 09:07 PM
The general Q&A thread is good for basic questions, although I'm not sure where it has wandered off to these days.

Beyond that, if it is within the next day or two, posting here should work. If it's much more than that, you'd be better off starting a new thread. The reason being that most people are going to look at your title and first post, and respond without reading the full thread - you'll want the answer to the question you've recently asked, after all. :smalltongue: It's probably fine for right now, since you have people responding, but a lull of a few days will mean that the same people aren't necessarily going to be as quick to respond.

If there's a concern either way, just make a new thread with an appropriate title. There's nothing wrong with new threads. (Just don't make dozens at once and flood the board.)