PDA

View Full Version : Custom Charisma to AC

Major
2011-06-24, 08:04 PM
Is there a way to make an item that permanently adds charisma to AC? I don't care if its deflection, armor bonus, etc. I just want a way to add Charisma to my AC for relatively cheap.

The only thing I can currently find is Sirine's Grace, but the problem is its pretty high level and the cost is ridiculous. But Sirine's Grace also adds a bunch of other things.

Are there any spells or items I'm missing?

And linking me to the X to Y thread won't help since the ones listed there are Sirine's Grace, limited use, or require a class dip.

Divide by Zero
2011-06-24, 08:06 PM
I think that would be firmly in the realm of DM fiat. There's nothing for it in the custom item creation rules (which already explicitly require DM approval).

Major
2011-06-24, 08:12 PM
That's what I thought and feared =_=

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-24, 08:15 PM
Check the X Stat to Y Bonus thread. There are a ton of options for Charisma.

Godskook
2011-06-24, 08:24 PM
Ascetic Mage can work without monk class levels(arcane casting levels are required, I suppose), but that's probably the most build-generic method I'm aware of.

Divide by Zero
Check the X Stat to Y Bonus thread. There are a ton of options for Charisma.
tencharacters

And linking me to the X to Y thread won't help since the ones listed there are Sirine's Grace, limited use, or require a class dip.

Major
Is there a way to make an item that permanently adds charisma to AC? I don't care if its deflection, armor bonus, etc. I just want a way to add Charisma to my AC for relatively cheap.

The only thing I can currently find is Sirine's Grace, but the problem is its pretty high level and the cost is ridiculous. But Sirine's Grace also adds a bunch of other things.

Are there any spells or items I'm missing?

Edit: Swordsaged. Though in regards to the monk I also would prefer to not dip. Thus the desire for an item. I got my levels planned out already.

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-06-24, 08:30 PM
talk to the DM about altering the Monks Belt, so it Cha instead of Wis

Major
2011-06-24, 08:31 PM
Actually...that's not a bad idea...

FMArthur
2011-06-24, 09:05 PM
Edit: Swordsaged. Though in regards to the monk I also would prefer to not dip. Thus the desire for an item. I got my levels planned out already.

Are you talking about the feat Godskook mentioned and immediately thereafter specified it as requiring no monk levels?

Major
2011-06-24, 09:12 PM
Yes, because it requires Arcane caster second (I lack that and use spell-like abilities) and improved unarmed strike.

Even if I had caster levels it would require improved unarmed strike and ascetic mage.

Also it DOES require monk levels.

If you have levels in sorcerer and monk, those levels stack for the purpose of determining your AC bonus. For example, a human 4th-level sorcerer/1st-level monk would have a +1 bonus to AC as if she were a 5th-level monk. If you would normally be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC (such as for a unarmored, unencumbered monk), you instead add your Charisma bonus (if any) to your AC. In addition, you can multiclass freely between the sorcerer and monk classes.

FMArthur
2011-06-24, 09:15 PM
Ascetic Mage works with a Monk's Belt, and if you're stingy on the feats, a Fanged Ring covers IUS as well. You don't need monk levels for ascetic mage, just a Wisdom-based AC bonus and an arcane caster class. What is your class, by the way?

Seerow
2011-06-24, 09:16 PM
You're going for a build that -needs- charisma to AC, can't spare a level for it, and has no arcane casting?

What the hell are you doing with your build?

FMArthur
2011-06-24, 09:25 PM
Marshal/Hellreaver/Paladin can get fairly significant Charisma-focus without touching arcane casting.

Lateral
2011-06-24, 09:34 PM
Marshal/Hellreaver/Paladin can get fairly significant Charisma-focus without touching arcane casting.

Yes, but that has room for a 1-level dip, easy.

Divide by Zero
2011-06-24, 09:47 PM
Also it DOES require monk levels.
I see no such thing in the prerequisites.

If you would normally be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC (such as for a unarmored, unencumbered monk), you instead add your Charisma bonus (if any) to your AC. In addition, you can multiclass freely between the sorcerer and monk classes.

Emphasis mine.

wuwuwu
2011-06-24, 09:53 PM
Here is a pretty easy way that I would do it, using (mostly) the built-in rules (found here)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm
Take one of these as desired:

AC bonus (deflection) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp
AC bonus (other) Bonus squared × 2,500 gp
Natural armor bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp .
Make it as a +5 item (so either 50,000gp or 62,500gp)
Now, because it is variably +5, and may not always be +5, and can easily be made to NOT be +5 (charisma damage, for instance), multiply the cost by .75 (or as the DM finds appropriate) so it comes down to 37,500gp (or 46,875gp).
This may still be too expensive for your needs (but better than a continuous Sirine's Grace item).
You could also do it as +3 * 1.25 (note: the .75 and 1.25 are a gut call made by me, not actually supported in the rules).
Or you could do the brilliant idea suggested above, of re-crunching the monk's belt, which is both more elegant and cheaper than my idea here.

Major
2011-06-24, 10:31 PM
You're going for a build that -needs- charisma to AC, can't spare a level for it, and has no arcane casting?

What the hell are you doing with your build?

Don't need, would like.

Succubus 12 / Paladin 2 / fiend of possession 6 (not necessarily in that order).

Having cha to AC early could be useful.

FMArthur
2011-06-25, 09:16 AM
You do have proficiencies in armor, though. While you could be getting up to +12 from Cha to AC, magically-enhanced armor, such as full plate, can be a reasonable substitute and it's not like you would be able to benefit from both anyway. It's probably weird with Fiend of Possession, shuffling your armor around between creatures, but it doesn't look like there's any convenient way for you to get non-equipment AC improvements.

Lateral
2011-06-25, 09:28 AM
Actually, the Monk's Belt recrunched idea makes sense if you reflavour it as a Battledancer's Belt.