PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-24, 09:42 PM
Is there a Green Lantern build floating around the internet?
If not would a Psion/Incarnate seem to do the trick, or maybe a Psion//Incarnate?
I'm thinking of making a Kilowog type Half-Giant just to toss extra stuff into a campaign for humour.

Psyren
2011-06-24, 10:54 PM
Ardent/Incarnate/Soul Manifester, maybe?

You'd be a BLUE Lantern though :smalltongue:

Zonugal
2011-06-24, 11:46 PM
Perhaps a build like Shaper/Slayer/Legacy Champion would work well? Maybe swap out Shaper for an Ardent who has shifted his mantle selection to be more akin with the Shaper & Kineticists?

Cerlis
2011-06-24, 11:57 PM
hmm, a shaper can create a monster out of his Lantern energy,and he can also wrap it around himself to make a suit and protect him. justlike a green lantern( that feat from complete Psionic that lets you use an ability of astral construct yourself.though i think without 5 lvls of that prestige class you might not be able to do it at same time as shaping a construct.

wuwuwu
2011-06-25, 12:14 AM
hmm, a shaper can create a monster out of his Lantern energy,and he can also wrap it around himself to make a suit and protect him. justlike a green lantern( that feat from complete Psionic that lets you use an ability of astral construct yourself.though i think without 5 lvls of that prestige class you might not be able to do it at same time as shaping a construct.

Nah, the feat explicitly states it doesn't use your single Astral Construct slot, so it's good. If you do that, you'll probably want Extend Power, too. Since augmenting Astral Construct doesn't benefit you when wearing it as a skin, the +2 cost isn't that bad for twice the time flying around (assuming you choose that ability)
If you do, it allows you to fly AND gives you +1d8 temp hp, so it really does match the Green Lantern.
Everything beyond that is gravy, as far as I'm concerned.

Sidenote: If you did this as a soulknife with Hidden Talent to get Astral Construct, you could refluff the mind blade as a giant green fist, fly around, and have a small hp buffer. Only problem with this is your DM needs to rule in favor of soulknives having a manifester level to get any sort of usable time out of it.

Edit: If your DM says soulknives have ML, so do kineticists, and a sonic kineticist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) or homebrewed force kineticist also matches fairly well with light refluffing. Alternatively: 10 levels of a class with a clear manifester level (psion, ardent, wilder, etc) + pyrokineticist variant.
This option is generally better than the soulknife one.

Zonugal
2011-06-25, 01:27 AM
What about something like an Ardent 6/Constructor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b) 5/Psionic Abjurant Champion 5/Constructor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b) 4?

BaB +13; ML 19; Can construct two (enhanced) astral constructs at the same time in addition to boosting whatever would count as abjurantion for psionics...

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-25, 12:36 PM
Ardent/Incarnate/Soul Manifester, maybe?

You'd be a BLUE Lantern though :smalltongue:

I "Hope" so!

Sidenote: If you did this as a soulknife with Hidden Talent to get Astral Construct, you could refluff the mind blade as a giant green fist, fly around, and have a small hp buffer. Only problem with this is your DM needs to rule in favor of soulknives having a manifester level to get any sort of usable time out of it. We Do...
homebrewed force kineticist: You know of any? Or have one sitting around?

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-06-25, 01:10 PM
I "Hope" so!

Awesome, just awesome.

Terazul
2011-06-25, 01:38 PM
Ahhh, I remember back on the old Weapons of Legacy For Dummies thread back on WotC we had a GL ring; basically just started with a nice ring and dolled it up, tossed in Item Familiar for kicks. Having a class that shoots its own lasers is a good backup too.

Cerlis
2011-06-25, 04:11 PM
I was actually looking and yea, ardent with his decent HP and BAB, few but specific powers.

Creation, Energy, Good and Force all have powers that well mimick them. Laser beams, force fields ect.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-25, 04:51 PM
Shadowcraft mage seems the best green lantern.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-06-25, 06:05 PM
Here is a psion build from the WotC boards:

Green Lantern:

Elan Telepath 20

1 Psionic Body, PsiCrystal
3 Power Penetration
5 E Knowledge (Energy Missile or Ego Whip)
6 Psychic Meditation
9 Practiced Manifester
10 PsiCrystal Containment
12 Twin Power
15 E. Knowledge (Reddopsi), Power Pen: Greater
18 Overchannel
20 Talented

"Power Ring": Base Ring of Counterspells

5 Det. Magic at Will
6 Feather Fall at Will
7 Lesser Extend Power, 3/day
8 Lesser Split Ray, 3/day
9 Comp. Languages at Will
10 Lesser Enlarge, 3/day
11 Lesser Empower, 3/day
12 Extend, 3/day
13 Split Ray, 3/day
15 Lesser Maximize, 3/day
16 [Free Slot]
17 Empower, 3/day
18 Lesser Quicken, 3/day
20 Maximize, 3/day

Why is this a good combo?

The cost for a 15 level Psionic Item of Legacy is -2 ML Penalty (does NOT affect PP or Powers Known, just effect of power and ML checks), 18 PP, 56,000 GP and 3,300 XP.

Here is how you offset the costs:
-Practiced Manifester erases the ML penalty.
-The 30 uses each day of FREE Meta-Psionic augmentation, which do NOT count towards your ML Cap for manifesting or augmenting a power, which equal 78 free power points.
-The GP and XP penalties are offset by the items you don't have to buy.

Source. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19571514/3.5_Psion_Buildguide_and_Compendium)

ExemplarofAvg
2011-06-25, 10:26 PM
Here is a psion build from the WotC boards:

Green Lantern:

Elan Telepath 20

1 Psionic Body, PsiCrystal
3 Power Penetration
5 E Knowledge (Energy Missile or Ego Whip)
6 Psychic Meditation
9 Practiced Manifester
10 PsiCrystal Containment
12 Twin Power
15 E. Knowledge (Reddopsi), Power Pen: Greater
18 Overchannel
20 Talented

"Power Ring": Base Ring of Counterspells

5 Det. Magic at Will
6 Feather Fall at Will
7 Lesser Extend Power, 3/day
8 Lesser Split Ray, 3/day
9 Comp. Languages at Will
10 Lesser Enlarge, 3/day
11 Lesser Empower, 3/day
12 Extend, 3/day
13 Split Ray, 3/day
15 Lesser Maximize, 3/day
16 [Free Slot]
17 Empower, 3/day
18 Lesser Quicken, 3/day
20 Maximize, 3/day

Why is this a good combo?

The cost for a 15 level Psionic Item of Legacy is -2 ML Penalty (does NOT affect PP or Powers Known, just effect of power and ML checks), 18 PP, 56,000 GP and 3,300 XP.

Here is how you offset the costs:
-Practiced Manifester erases the ML penalty.
-The 30 uses each day of FREE Meta-Psionic augmentation, which do NOT count towards your ML Cap for manifesting or augmenting a power, which equal 78 free power points.
-The GP and XP penalties are offset by the items you don't have to buy.

Source. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19571514/3.5_Psion_Buildguide_and_Compendium)

Any thoughts on what I should use the spare slot for, and also what about a Lv 8 character?

ArcanistSupreme
2011-06-26, 07:31 AM
Any thoughts on what I should use the spare slot for, and also what about a Lv 8 character?

Maybe lesser linked power or chain power? Water breathing to fit the theme of breathing wherever he is would also fit. I think the build is usable from any level. Just follow the feat suggestions and select powers to taste.