PDA

View Full Version : How often can I use touch attacks?

wuwuwu
2011-06-24, 10:23 PM
Let's say I get a touch attack from a source such as lich (or psion uncarnate, I guess?). Lich explicitly states I can use it as a secondary attack, but if I use it as my primary, do I get bonus attacks for high BAB (unlikely as it is with a lich)?
If I'm a psion uncarnate with TWF, could I do my touch attack 4 times per turn (with a full attack as a wilder 10/psion uncarnate 10, I'd get +10/+10/+5/+0 assuming no bonus to attack rolls)?
Sorry if I didn't detail my question enough, it's kind've complicated I guess.
Thanks in advance!

Jack_Simth
2011-06-24, 10:33 PM
Let's say I get a touch attack from a source such as lich (or psion uncarnate, I guess?). Lich explicitly states I can use it as a secondary attack, but if I use it as my primary, do I get bonus attacks for high BAB (unlikely as it is with a lich)?
If I'm a psion uncarnate with TWF, could I do my touch attack 4 times per turn (with a full attack as a wilder 10/psion uncarnate 10, I'd get +10/+10/+5/+0 assuming no bonus to attack rolls)?
Sorry if I didn't detail my question enough, it's kind've complicated I guess.
Thanks in advance!
Check the type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#specialAbilities). For the most part, unless specified otherwise, such things are standard actions.

In the specific examples....

Lich: "A lich without natural weapons has a touch attack that uses negative energy to deal 1d8+5 points of damage to living creatures; a Will save (DC 10 + ½ lich’s HD + lich’s Cha modifier) halves the damage. A lich with natural weapons can use its touch attack or its natural weaponry, as it prefers. If it chooses the latter, it deals 1d8+5 points of extra damage on one natural weapon attack." - it's part of an attack, but it follows the rules of natural weapons (mostly) - it's once per round, max, but can be either an add-on to an existing natural attack, or can be used separately in isolation.

Psion Uncarnate: "Beginning at 1st level, a psion uncarnate can make up to three melee touch attacks per day that each deal 1d6 points of damage if they hit. The character’s Strength modifier is not applied to this attack, but it is effective against incorporeal creatures (and against corporeal creatures while the psion uncarnate is incorporeal) The character’s hand and arm seem to become slightly translucent when he makes these attacks. A miss still counts as a use of the ability.

While uncarnate (see below), a psion uncarnate can make melee touch attacks at will that do not count against his uses of this ability.

For every four levels higher than 1st the psion uncarnate attains, the damage on these attacks increases by 1d6 points." - it's not specifically called out as an attack action, so it defaults to the base action cost of Su abilities - a standard action, which (normally) you can only get once per round.

wuwuwu
2011-06-24, 10:40 PM
Ahh, thanks. I'm pretty sure I knew about that page, I just didn't associate it I guess. A single touch attack for 3d6 damage a turn doesn't seem that bad, though, especially if you're incorporeal. Not as good as 3d6 4 times a turn, but still fairly good...

Jack_Simth
2011-06-24, 10:48 PM
Ahh, thanks. I'm pretty sure I knew about that page, I just didn't associate it I guess. A single touch attack for 3d6 damage a turn doesn't seem that bad, though, especially if you're incorporeal. Not as good as 3d6 4 times a turn, but still fairly good...
It goes really, really well with Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack) once you've got all ten levels of Psion Uncarnate... if you don't mind slowly grinding down an opponent over ten or twenty turns while the rest of the party is either mulched or takes care of the opponent the normal way.