PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good race for a Fiend of Possession

Sindri
2011-06-25, 02:31 AM
I'm trying to make a Fiend of Possession (Fiend Folio pg 204) in a relatively low level game; I need something that will allow me to get the Outsider Type, the Evil Subtype, a +5 base Will modifier, and as much Charisma as possible in as low ECL as possible. I figure that I can get the Will save and skill ranks in as little as three levels with multiclassing abuse, but most evil outsiders I know of have fairly harsh LA or terrible Cha. Help?

The ideal would be something with 1HD of Outsider (Evil) and a high Cha for zero or +1 LA, but I'm not sure if that exists...

Vulaas
2011-06-25, 02:41 AM
Savage Species has the Ritual of Alignment on page 148, so any outsider (such as Aasimar, or Tiefling) would work, if you can get that ritual done for you.

gorfnab
2011-06-25, 02:58 AM
Neraphim (Planar Handbook) + Ritual of Alignment. Otherwise there seem to be some other nice options in the Fiend of Possession Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7518.0).

Sindri
2011-06-25, 03:51 AM
I'm afraid that the 56,000 gold pieces and 2,240 XP for the ritual are a bit out of my price range, even if I did have a friendly 7th level evil cleric. Thanks though.

WinWin
2011-06-25, 04:47 AM
Dretch (Demon). 2 hit dice. +2LA.

Can meet FoP prerequisites with a single level of bard (or any other Will boosting class).

Cog
2011-06-25, 08:44 AM
The Demonbinder PrC (Drow of the Underdark) can get you the Evil subtype on a temporary basis, but that's long enough to qualify for FoP. You have to be a drow, but if you're a drow you're an elf, and so qualify for the Otherworldly regional feat to become an Outsider. Note that Fiend Folio, like the DMG, doesn't have a clause about needing to maintain PrC entry requirements.

Stallion
2011-06-25, 02:30 PM
(Scrubbed)

Prime32
2011-06-25, 05:16 PM
Given the amount of work it takes to meet the prereqs, my first step would be to just ask the DM if he'll give tieflings the evil subtype. :smalltongue: (it makes sense for them to have it...)

EDIT: Or just used test-based prerequisites (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/testBasedPrerequisites.htm).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-06-25, 05:38 PM
I'd use Kaorti from the Fiend Folio. They have 2 HD of Outsider and a +2 LA, but they can be good-aligned and still retain the evil subtype. Get one level of anything that has a good base Will save, and you've got all the requirements at ECL 5. Note that you can use personal-range buffs on anyone you're possessing, so pick something like Warlock or Psion.

1. Major Titan Bloodline, gain Use Oversize Weapon which enables you to wield a gargantuan size two-handed hammer without penalty regardless of your own size.
2. Psion 1 into Fiend of Possession, bonus feat is Psicrystal Affinity, possess your psicrystal. (Bloodline levels are a useful combination with Fiend of Possession anyway.)
3. When controlling the psicrystal's actions, you retain your ability to wield a gargantuan hammer via the diminutive construct.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Not exactly powerful given a psicrystal's physical ability scores, but definitely hilarious and it wouldn't be a hindrance to the build apart from starting a bit later due to the early bloodline levels.

Sindri
2011-06-25, 10:52 PM
The Kaorti looks good; now all I need is a good 1 level dip class that has both good Will saves and Hide as a class skill and I can get into the PrC by 6th level... Unfortunately nothing I've found so far with both of those has had anything else to offer a FoP. Lots of casters that need Somatic/Verbal/Material components, a few martial classes that can't do anything while possessing something...Maybe a spellthief? A Blue, Green, White, or Copper Dragon Shaman would work, and give me an aura that I can use when inside something else...

Veyr
2011-06-25, 11:01 PM
wield a gargantuan hammer via the diminutive construct.
You'd still have a Reach of 0 ft., meaning you have to enter an opponent's square (and take an AoO) in order to hit him... not so good.

Sindri
2011-06-25, 11:17 PM
Not gonna bother with Bloodlines anyway (at least not for a while); it's a low level game and I'd like to get as much as I can of the Fiend of Possession abilities.

Cog
2011-06-26, 06:49 PM
Note, for Kaorti, that while stats are given it's actually a template. The details of the conversion specify that you modify stats instead of replacing them, so if you start with a +Cha race you'll keep that bonus.

Sindri
2011-06-27, 12:50 AM
Heh. Start with a Lesser Aasimar for that extra cheezy flavor.

faceroll
2011-06-27, 06:14 AM
Heh. Start with a Lesser Aasimar for that extra cheezy flavor.

Humanoids don't qualify for Fiend of Possession.

Cog
2011-06-27, 07:53 AM
Humanoids don't qualify for Fiend of Possession.
Humanoids converted into Kaorti do.

faceroll
2011-06-27, 08:48 AM
Humanoids converted into Kaorti do.

Doesn't that make them Outsiders, though? AFAIK, outside of a handful of polymorph effects, you can only have one type.

Ingus
2011-06-27, 08:54 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152543&page=4

Look at Sebehk's Voice for inspiration. After it, PM me if you want: I worked alot on it

Cog
2011-06-27, 09:10 AM
Doesn't that make them Outsiders, though? AFAIK, outside of a handful of polymorph effects, you can only have one type.
Yes, and that's exactly the point. You want the Outsider (Evil) type.

The advantage of Lesser Planetouched is to get rid of the LA while keeping the Cha bonus.

faceroll
2011-06-27, 09:35 AM
I totally missed this post:

Note, for Kaorti, that while stats are given it's actually a template. The details of the conversion specify that you modify stats instead of replacing them, so if you start with a +Cha race you'll keep that bonus.

Now things make sense.