PDA

View Full Version : Name Changing in the Playground

Kuma Kode
2011-06-25, 02:44 AM
In the next few months, I am planning on legally changing my name. Not just a common use name (like having people call me by my middle name instead) but a fully-fledge, completely new, legal-eagle name.

Has anyone else performed a legal name change here? Any advice or experiences to share would be nice, but this is not due to marriage (which has its own, streamlined process) so the process might be different if you did it that way.

Lolzords
2011-06-25, 09:14 PM
I was considering changing my surname last year, due to not liking my father's or mother's name, but I really had no idea what to change it to.. :smallannoyed:

Phae Nymna
2011-06-25, 11:36 PM
I think I'm just going to take my husbands name when I marry, but until then I'm stuck. I don't really like my father's surname, and my mother's surname is my brother's first name.

I was thinking I might change my first name too. I'm Jules as it stands, but I think I'll change it to Julius or Julian, so that it sounds better with a surname but people can still call me Jules.

Castaras
2011-06-26, 03:40 AM
I was thinking I might change my first name too. I'm Jules as it stands, but I think I'll change it to Julius or Julian, so that it sounds better with a surname but people can still call me Jules.

I think it says something about me when the first thought for a last name for you would be "Bashir"...

I considered changing my first name from Elizabeth to Lizzie. Seeing as everyone already uses Lizzie. But meh. Elizabeth sounds a bit more posh in official bits. :smalltongue:

Icewalker
2011-06-26, 05:04 AM
Sooo many of my friends have changed their names. Some legally, some not (yet). At least...five immediately come to mind, of which I know at least two are legal.

I go by many different names, but I'm probably not going to legally change mine.

Skeppio
2011-06-26, 05:19 AM
I've considered having my name legally changed from Christopher to just Chris (I prefer the conciseness of Chris), but I don't really see the point. No-one calls me Christopher anyway. :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2011-06-26, 05:25 AM
I changed the spelling of my name when I was around 11 - from Rebecca to Rebekah... but decided to change it back again before I got around to making it an official change.

Obviously I took my husband's last name when we got married, but as you say, that's different. I am and will always be Rebecca MyMaidenName (and I have a few things that are still in that name because it's easier). I'm just also Rebecca MyMarriedName.

GallóglachMaxim
2011-06-26, 06:04 AM
An associate (friend's roommate) of mine legally changed his middle name to 'Danger'.

Galileo
2011-06-26, 07:45 AM
I changed my surname to my mother's maiden name when I turned 18. While I was at it, I decided to change my middle name to Galileo.

Yes, everyone I know did start singing Bohemian Rhapsody when I told them. Why do you ask?

LCR
2011-06-26, 09:55 AM
I didn't know it was that easey to change one's name.
I've always thought you needed a valid reason, like having a name such as Hitler or Scheisskopf.

Kuma Kode
2011-06-26, 10:00 AM
From what I read it seems more like they'll let you change it unless there's a reason not to, like if you're a registered sex offender or something where changing your name would let you dodge legal repercussions or impersonate someone else.

Dogmantra
2011-06-26, 10:36 AM
I've always thought you needed a valid reason, like having a name such as Hitler or Scheisskopf.

It used to be even easier, at least in the United Kingdom. Before terrorism threats became a bigger deal and people were more worried about potential security risks this is how you changed your name legally:

1. Stop using your old name.
2. Start using your new name.

But now you have to get a deed poll. Still, it's pretty dang easy. Unless you want to change your first name to "Lord" or "Baron" or similar. That's illegal which I found hilarious.

Ashen Lilies
2011-06-26, 10:51 AM
Alas, my dreams of being known as 'Lord Surname' have now been shattered... :smallsigh:
'Emperor' is still legal though, right?

But yeah, I'm one of those people who got saddled with a lame first name and an awesome middle name... Hell, I can't even remember how to spell my real first name anymore... I have to reach for my ID card everytime I'm asked. :smallredface:

AsteriskAmp
2011-06-26, 12:27 PM
But now you have to get a deed poll. Still, it's pretty dang easy. Unless you want to change your first name to "Lord" or "Baron" or similar. That's illegal which I found hilarious.
In the UK and English speaking territories I believe.
So fly to foreign non-English speaking country get residency and change your name there to Lord ....... ..........., and also get a second last name in the process.

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-26, 02:03 PM
i go by "anthony" "tony" and "jordan", unofficially of course

Kuma Kode
2011-06-26, 08:20 PM
Yeah, but you can always get your name changed to a symbol like 𝀽.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-26, 08:37 PM
I've never considered changing my name. Though I do wish I had a Russian name sometime. Vladimir, or Dmitri. Or Alexi. Though mostly Vlad or Dmitri. If I have twin boys, those are their names.

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-27, 12:18 AM
I've never considered changing my name. Though I do wish I had a Russian name sometime. Vladimir, or Dmitri. Or Alexi. Though mostly Vlad or Dmitri. If I have twin boys, those are their names.

i can see you as a Mikhail

Moff Chumley
2011-06-27, 01:00 AM
I go by a shortened form of my birth name, but I'm not planning on changing it legally. Don't see the point.

rakkoon
2011-06-27, 03:53 AM
If I ever go to live in an English speaking country it might be wise to change my first name since it's a bit racist in that silly language and I might get into a bar fight unintentionally. Until then, no worries.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-06-27, 04:03 AM

I have a friend who changed their name by deed poll - and it only cost them £33 to do -- It is surprising how easy it is to do...

Kuma Kode
2011-06-27, 04:10 AM
I have a friend who changed their name by deed poll - and it only cost them £33 to do -- It is surprising how easy it is to do...

The filing fee is $89 here in Ohio, or around £55 if Google can be trusted, plus any fees charged by the newspaper to run the public notice.

Kobold-Bard
2011-06-27, 04:40 AM
Whatever you change it to, make sure it ends in a question mark, so it'll look like they just weren't sure wen they were printing your passport.

Or maybe an exlamation point, which will mean you are completely justified in yelling your name from then on.

Eldan
2011-06-27, 04:44 AM

That's the case in Switzerland and, probably, also Germany. Name changes here usually also involve a judge well, judging if you have a legitimate reason. It's a lot easier in English-speaking countries. Just like they can apparently also name their kids whatever they want while we have an agency which declares the name appropriate or not.

rakkoon
2011-06-27, 05:23 AM
We have that too yet I've met someone called "Bruce-Lee Van Houten" so I'm not sure what kind of names are actually turned down.

Castaras
2011-06-27, 05:35 AM
4-Real? Superman? Like? Tahula Does the Hula? Kayleigh? Jethro? Okay, maybe not the last two, but they'd be rather interesting choices depending on your music tastes...

Dogmantra
2011-06-27, 06:11 AM
I know a lot about it out of curiosity. Basically, there have been times when I've wanted to change my name to something different and also times when I wanted to do this:

Or maybe an exlamation point, which will mean you are completely justified in yelling your name from then on.

Ashtagon
2011-06-27, 07:51 AM
The exact rules by which you can change your legal name vary from country to country, and in the US from state to state. If you say where you are, we can give better advice.

In the UK, the cheapest legal method is by a document called a statutory declaration or deed poll. Get the wording right, have a friend (a legal adult who passes certain easy criteria) sign it, and its legal, and costs pennies to do. Deed polls cost more, and if desired, you can normally get a lawyer to sign one for a fiver, or write up the entire document for about £50-80.

However... UK law says name changes aren't established except by usage and repute. In practice, this means that a deed poll has no legal bearing in itself, but can be used to get passport, bank, and other legal contracts changed to the new name, and that's when the name change becomes legal.

Feytalist
2011-06-27, 09:45 AM
I have been blessed by not one, or even two, but three awesome names. And a surname. So I won't be changing any of them soon.

Let's just say one of my names is Xavier. :smallbiggrin:

Qaera
2011-06-27, 09:53 AM
I know a lot about it out of curiosity. Basically, there have been times when I've wanted to change my name to something different and also times when I wanted to do this:

Ever heard of David Malki ! ? Yeah, he did it.

I would love to change my name, but unfortunately for me, I am a Junior. To change my name is to spit in the name of my father, to denounce my heritage, to show shame in the clan. I wish I could have a second name, and keep the first as well. :smallsigh: I would love to be Andrew Adventure [Long String of referential names] 42 [awesome last name] ! .

Worst part is, my dad hasn't changed his name to add "Senior" to the end. :smallsigh: He is pretty lazy, but around two (three now?) years ago I got really pumped about changing his name for him, and he was going to do it, but he has had some medical problems since then and says he will do it when this all finishes, but until then, a name change would seriously mess with all his medical records and such.

Kuma Kode
2011-06-27, 03:25 PM
The exact rules by which you can change your legal name vary from country to country, and in the US from state to state. If you say where you are, we can give better advice.

I live in the US, in Ohio.

I would love to change my name, but unfortunately for me, I am a Junior. To change my name is to spit in the name of my father, to denounce my heritage, to show shame in the clan. I wish I could have a second name, and keep the first as well. :smallsigh:

This is actually a problem I've already run into, and I'm not even a Junior. Wanting to completely change my name is apparently rather insulting to the rest of the family, as they selected the first name and the last name marks me as a member of the family. They feel like I'm trying to distance myself from them or disown the family, even though I tell them I just want a more fitting name.

My entire name's meaning is composed of variants of "God is gracious." That's fine if you like that kind of name and/or are religious... but I'm an atheist, so... it's an ironic name, which several of my friends have pointed out. I would much prefer a name that indicates character traits that I have and/or like to think I have, like "loving" or "honorable" or "loyal." Currently, my name will max out the search results on Myspace and Facebook due to how common it is, so it really says nothing about me other than that my family is religious and not particularly creative :smalltongue:.

Qaera
2011-06-27, 03:40 PM
Dude, more than half of my names are Disciples, and I too am not how you say religiously aligned with the Parental Units.

We should start a club.

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-27, 04:12 PM
at least my parents went with my maternal grandfather's name instead of my paternal grandpa's name....

i'd much rather be anthony than alcus

Mina Kobold
2011-06-27, 04:20 PM
Ooh, can I join?

My first and last name litterally means Messiah and son of a Christian respectively.

My middle name is delightfully nonsensical, though. :smalltongue:

Occasional Sage
2011-06-27, 04:27 PM
In the next few months, I am planning on legally changing my name. Not just a common use name (like having people call me by my middle name instead) but a fully-fledge, completely new, legal-eagle name.

Has anyone else performed a legal name change here? Any advice or experiences to share would be nice, but this is not due to marriage (which has its own, streamlined process) so the process might be different if you did it that way.

Don't chose a ridiculous name, is all I can say. Like Thor Prime Alpha, whom I've actually met. Really, don't do that to yourself.

Bleak Ink
2011-07-11, 04:27 PM
This is actually a problem I've already run into, and I'm not even a Junior. Wanting to completely change my name is apparently rather insulting to the rest of the family, as they selected the first name and the last name marks me as a member of the family. They feel like I'm trying to distance myself from them or disown the family, even though I tell them I just want a more fitting name.

I hear you. I hate my first name, but it would be difficult to legally change it without causing scandal in the family- Mom's side, anyway. :smallsigh:

If you want to take on a new name but not legally change it, next time you move you can just introduce yourself with the new name and stick to it whenever you meet anybody. It'll catch on, even with people who knew you before hand... I had a friend who by Freshman year of high school actually forgot the name she used for me wasn't my real one, until my mother addressed me in front of her. Most of the time, people only remember what's convenient or important; it doesn't say anything bad about them, that's just how we think.

KenderWizard
2011-07-11, 04:57 PM
I did that. I changed my name informally when I went to college. Think This Through! And discuss it with family. And then discuss it with family again when they've calmed down a bit. I much prefer the sound of my new name than that of my old name, but things are so complicated. If I was starting again, I'd do it differently. I'd choose an Irish name, for one thing, and I'd make sure my parents knew I actually meant to go through with it. Also, I'd have made sure what the passport people need before it came time to renew my passport.

My mother and father use different surnames. In retrospect, changing to my mother's surname might have been a simpler move, but would have hurt my father's feelings. Changing my given name did hurt my mother's feelings.

Getting married is going to be even more confusing. I'd love to share a name with my partner, but I don't know how that's going to work. I'm a feminist, so I don't want to have to give up my name, but I also have a rather fractured relationship with it, so maybe a new one would be good. But then I'd have changed both my names, so I'd be very far away from where I started.

I feel like I'm identified by a cloud of sounds rather than one solid name.
Newfirstname Fathersurname
Oldfirstname Fathersurname
Oldfirstname Newfirstname Fathersurname
Oldfirstname Middlename Fathersurname
Oldfirstname Mothersurname-Fathersurname
Newfirstname Mothersurname-Fathersurname

If I get a married name, it'll add new layers of complexity
Newfirstname Marriedsurname?
Oldfisrtname Newfirstname Marriedsurname?
Newfirstname Fathersurname-Marriedsurname?

:smalleek:

grimbold
2011-07-12, 06:08 PM
all i really know about name change is that when i was 8 i changed my middle name to "Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon" :smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2011-07-12, 06:10 PM
all i really know about name change is that when i was 8 i changed my middle name to "Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon" :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-12, 06:38 PM
I checked the deed poll website the other day. Apparently (in the UK at least) you can't have any unusual punctuation like question marks or exclamation points.

On the plus side however the character limit for fore & middle names is 250 characters, and 30 characters for surnames. There's a clause about it having to be pronounceable, but that sounds like a fun limit.

And apparently there's no copyrights/trademarks for names, so you can legally be Yoda McXbox if you like.

Krade
2011-07-12, 07:20 PM
I had the fortune of parents who, when deciding on an ancestor's name to stick me with, they went back five generations to find a good one: Hans. Then they thought up a good middle name that actually flowed with my first name: Carter (much to the chagrin of some of my grandparents who were not so fond of that particular president:smalltongue:) My family and most of my friends call me by my middle name while at work and school and such I go by my first name. I find it amusing that I have to names that I relate to equally. Most people who go by thier middle names do so because they don't like thier first names, like my friends whose first names are Nelson and Fred.

Pika...
2011-07-12, 09:15 PM

I did it, and I have felt so free ever since. It feels so empowering and "right" when you choose your own name. It becomes YOUR name.

The process is a bit expensive (a few hundred), and you need to get a lot of paperwork. It is well worth it, though.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-12, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone. It's nice hearing everyone's stories and experiences with it, on both sides of the "Eh, it's just a name" and "Your name helps define who you are."

It's actually pricier than I thought, but I've decided to go along with it. I've already started to make the shift, as has been suggested, and changed my name on Facebook and such.