PDA

View Full Version : Disciples of Grulk IC

Moranica
2011-06-25, 06:27 AM
A searing flash of pain bounces through you head as you slowly awaken. Around you the ground seems burned. You clothes are in threads and the rest of your belongings are missing.

And then you remembered.... You were just living your life as it was when suddenly, the world exploded in a fountain of colors and sensations. It quickly turned black as your brain must have shut down to protect itself.

Taking a couple of deep breaths makes the pain dull a bit. Laying on the ground around you are several others, none of them familiar. Then, you hear a scream, a shout of anger as a bewildered man comes charging out of the bushes, swinging a sword above his head....

Battle thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204662)

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-06-28, 01:12 AM
"Grulk's magic was two trong for puny barbarian! You all should be in awe of Grulk's magical might!

Grulk begin's to look for a suitable 'wand', by wand I mean a Large Greatclub for use with his monkey grip.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-28, 01:52 AM
I fear the time your magic runs low, as I've seen happen to other great mages. Perhaps I can aid you on that day, might wizard. But I can be of no aid to anyone without my bow, or even a sling.

Tara looks around, picks up a small staff.

I have no skill in crafting weapons, nor armor. However, I can craft some tools to aid in the task. This club and the rocks I find will have to suffice.

ybot
2011-06-28, 09:38 AM
The barbarian's supplies will be helpful to us but eventually we will run out. I suggest we stay here and try to gather food and water. It looks like some of you will also need weapons and armor to fight.

Sam will pick up a club.

Dirac Lotus
2011-06-28, 09:53 AM
The crazed old man picks up a club, cautiously. He beckons his wolf towards him, then casting Lesser Vigor on it to seal its wounds. He then tilts his head back and forth, regarding each individual.

"P-
Ppppuuu-

People?

Howl then runs up to each other person and gives them a stoic hug, before returning to his dog. "Long time since people. He then attempts to straighten his hair with his hands, giving up after a moment when he realises the nature of that task.

"I can fish. I'm a good farmer too, but I can help little with artisanry. He strains his mind for more big words to use, "Given our situation, I think it's best we coagulated together. Increase survival odds."

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-28, 12:47 PM
I'm going to take a look around. Tara moves to the edge of the clearing and climbs what looks to be the tallest tree. (taking 10)
She see's if she spots anything, relating any and all information to the rest of the group.
Spot[roll0]

Moranica
2011-06-28, 02:09 PM
You can find club and quarterstaffs in all sizes. Greatclubs will have to be crafted.

It's a DC 15 climb check to climb a tree. (you can indeed take 10 on this if you have more then a +4 mod)

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-28, 04:03 PM
Tara looks up at the tall tree. Well, It may be too difficult to climb. Grulk, can you levitate me up there? Once up there maybe I can get some vines and fashion some rope. I would really like to take a look around, see if there are any landmarks, towns, smoke from cooking fires, rivers, mountains, maybe see anything I recognize. If anyone is good at surviving, if they find materials for a rope I can make 1 in half a day. I always felt that you could never have enough rope.

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-06-28, 04:33 PM
With a broad grin grabs ahold Tara, have with a spinning shout throws her up the tree, 'Grulk cast Lesser Flight!'

[roll0]

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-28, 04:57 PM
Boosted by Grulk's spell, Tara grabs and the branches.

Climb: [roll0] +2 (Aid)

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-28, 08:05 PM
Okay, if Tara is 15 feet up, she tries to climb higher.
Climb[roll0]
If less than 10, she falls. Tucking into a tumble to negate the damage:
Tumble[roll1]

Edit: whoot, she is now 20 feet up the tree. She spots around (using previous spot roll)

Sheep Overlord
2011-06-29, 07:57 AM
Muttering to himself in a guttural, bastardized form of halfling, Sedgewicke picks up a club and a number of stones. He stares at the others, wondering if it's safe to wander off to find materials, but says nothing.

Moranica
2011-06-29, 09:08 AM
On all sides you are surrounded by forest. At least 1 day of travelling in each direction.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-29, 10:28 AM
All I see are trees in every direction. I guess we're in a forest. I've heard about forests before
Tara jumps down.

I hope someone has a feather fall ready!

Tumble[roll0]

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-29, 10:30 AM
Nonlethal damage from fall [roll0]

ybot
2011-06-29, 11:21 AM
Forest is good. That means there will be food and water nearby. I can gather food. Some of you should look for water and find materials for armor and weapons.

Profession (farmer) for the week

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Moranica
2011-06-29, 01:03 PM
Profession (farmer etc?) I presume, since you're getting food. :smallbiggrin:

Dirac Lotus
2011-06-29, 01:21 PM
Howl shall do likewise, trying to gather food, seeds (For future farming) and berries. He will also keep an eye out for domesticatable animals, and potential fishing spots.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

"What's the plan then? Come to think of it... where the hell are we?"

Howl will try to make small talk with the rest of the group on their travels, and also look for a location to have a bath.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-29, 02:20 PM
Tara begins crafting tools from the materials gathered by Sedgewick (presumably that he begins to gather materials for tools)

Craft:
In this order: Artisan Tools, if completed then Rope.
(subtract 2 from these checks until artisan tools are complete)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
Tools are complete.
[roll5]
50' hemp rope complete.
[roll6]

During the week, she tells people about her daring feats in the circus, dancing with OwlBears, Tumbling through fire, etc. Through she traveled far, she never encountered a forest as think and as deserted as this one.

After she finishes the artisan tools, she lets people know that they can use them to make some armor and weapons. She asks for a shortbow and 40 arrows, if doable.

Dirac Lotus
2011-06-29, 03:07 PM
Howl will politely ask Tara is he can fashion him a fishing rod, since that's what he spent the majority of his life doing (which he will go into excruciating detail about).

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-06-29, 04:23 PM
"Grulk is a mighty wizerd! But Grulk needs wand! Someone could make a Grulk a wand? Grulk's wand should big, and heavy and hard and good for casting spells!" Grulk then uses his hands to show you what size it should be, his discription is similar to what you know as a large Greatclub. "Grulk will use his magic to find food!"

Farmer Rolls!
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Sheep Overlord
2011-06-29, 06:14 PM
Sedgewicke is indeed gathering materials for the week.

Craft (mining/woodcutting/etc.) rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Moranica
2011-06-30, 11:22 AM
The group starts working hard, right after defeating the barbarian.

Sam gathers 8.5 pieces of food consisting mostly of tubers and berries. Howl and Grulk join him on the search for food and bring in 8.6 and 10.4 pieces worth of food.

Sedgewick went out to get wood and grasses useful for crafting purposes. He brought back pieces which were worth 6.9.

Tara start working on the tools and some rope. She finished both, using up 1.7 for the tools and 0.3 for the rope.

Everybody learned a bit while working on their respective tasks and gains 400 xp each.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-30, 01:20 PM
I believe we should find materials and craft some weapons and armor and then explore this strange wood we are in. Perhaps we could find some people or some metal to use.

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-06-30, 01:56 PM
"Grulk will cast Endure Elements!"

Survivial
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Sheep Overlord
2011-06-30, 05:11 PM
Sedgewicke busies himself with making the gathered materials into weapons, as per request.

Craft (weapon):
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

If the crafting doesn't take a full week to consume all the materials available, he spends the rest of the week gathering more stuff.

Profession (miner/woodcutter/etc.):
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

EDIT: Grulk, that means your wand is complete.

ybot
2011-06-30, 07:00 PM
Sam will gather more food and tell Howl to scout the surrounding area (survival?)

farmer rolls for the week

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Dirac Lotus
2011-07-01, 01:56 AM
Howl shall scout the surrounding area, also using his Profession (Farming/Fishing) to determine any viable long-term spots, good fishing spots or domesticatable animals again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Forbiddenwar
2011-07-01, 10:13 AM
Tara will spend the week gathering herbs and alchemical materials. She described the one time she stopped a minotaur in its tracks with a bit of grease.

Profession: Herbalism/Crystal

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Moranica
2011-07-01, 11:04 AM
Grulk rampages through the woods, finding little food. He finds 15 daymeals in total.

Sedgewick works on producing weapons and manages to finish some! (see Forbiddenwar post in OOC for details)

Howl is gone for the entire week and returns at the evening of the seventh day. He looks weary, running around like crazy, but he found out you are surrounded by wood. Two days to the west is a swamp and two days to the east are plains. The plains might prove better for growing plants, but the forest harbors more creatures and wild tubers.

Sam grows 8.8 pieces worth of food.

Tara looks around all week and finds several banks of special mushrooms. She takes back 8.3 pieces worth of magical materials.

300 xp each.

Forbiddenwar
2011-07-01, 11:17 AM
It terrifies me Tara says after hearing Sadgewick's report. How empty this forest seems. I was told early and often that wild places like this are filled with dire bears and dinosaurs and the odd OwlBear, but we haven't seen anything large or harmful than the occasional deer. Where is everyone? Where is everything?

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-07-01, 11:31 AM
"Grulk think this is a crazy world, made to feature Grulks Mighty Magic! Grulk think we should be ready for others who are jealous of Grulk's Might!"

Grulk starts waving his 'wand' around, "Grulk cast Mage Armor!"

Craft Armor
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Dirac Lotus
2011-07-01, 11:51 AM
"It is quite odd, now that you mention it. Perhaps I might take a few days and dedicate myself to trapping and hunting, just to get a guage of the local wildlife. If any. I will also look around for a river or other source of water, as we obviously don't want to settle in a place without either."

Howl is now more thorougly groomed; his hair is cut short, and his facial hair has been trimmed neatly into a Goatee. He also smells significantly less.

Rolls for Trapping/Hunting: (If survival is more appropriate, add 2 to each roll)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

And spot checks to determine if there is a river/good source of water nearby.
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
(Again, add 2 for survival if necessary)

ybot
2011-07-01, 12:53 PM
Sam will gather more food.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Sheep Overlord
2011-07-02, 10:58 AM
Well, since I'm the only gatherer. . .

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Dirac Lotus
2011-07-05, 01:06 PM
Howl sits on a log, twiddling his thumbs. "So... What now? Perhaps we should start considering whether we should Settle down and form our own civilisation, or go looking for one. If any are still around."

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-07-05, 03:09 PM
Looking toughtfull for a moment, Grulk says,"Grulk does need to build himself a tower of magic."

Forbiddenwar
2011-07-05, 04:40 PM
a third week of gathering:

Day 1[roll0]
Day 2[roll1]
Day 3[roll2]
Day 4[roll3]
Day 5[roll4]
Day 6[roll5]
Day 7[roll6]

I say we start looking around. It seems difficult to find metal here, and no matter what, I imagine gold is still important to somebody. So far all we've seen is that barbarian, but I can't imagine we're the last sentient people on the plane. And if we are, think about all that unprotected treasure just sitting around in empty towns. Food, Weapons, Armor, and especially wine.

Moranica
2011-07-06, 05:49 AM
Another week of gathering and crafting commences!!

Grulk works furiously on something, although only Grulk knows what it really is.

Howl goes out into the woods to look for game. He manages to kill some wild pigs and returns with food and leather/bones. (4.9 food, 4.9 leather)

Sam is getting quite proficient at growing foods. 9,1 pieces worth this week!

Sedgewicke goes about collecting al kinds of crafting material, bringing back 9.5 pieces worth of it.

Tara comes back with a big bundle of leaves, which all have magical properties. (7,3)

200 xp each

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-07-06, 03:57 PM
Grulk continues his secret project.

Craft Armor
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

ybot
2011-07-06, 04:21 PM
sam keeps farming

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-07-08, 10:57 PM
Scratching his head Grulk speaks up, "Although Grulk not care what we do, but do Grulk like you puny non-magical people and Grulk wants to stay with you. Grulk is wondering, what are going to do?"

Dirac Lotus
2011-07-09, 02:43 AM
"Perhaps it would be wise to stay where we are for now. We could set up a temporary base, to which we can use as shelter or whatnot. I think that we should spend some time crafting weapons and armour, as well as foods and equipment; after which we can go looking for other civilisations. This way we can be prepared if any more barbarians or bandits show up."

Sheep Overlord
2011-07-09, 09:28 AM
In a rapid, chittering burst of speech that you can hardly make out, Sedgewicke makes his opinion known.

"Nono. Nottahere, nottahere. Toosmalltoolowtooopen. Keep moving, thassit, thassit. Find a hillystream, find shinies."

ybot
2011-07-13, 12:46 AM
We should find where the swamp, forest, and plains meet. Each environment will have different resources we can use. Next week we can spend the first few days traveling so we can each get easy access to the three environments.

Moranica
2011-07-14, 03:18 AM
As the group relaxes a little and chats a bit, only two members continue working on their tasks.

Grulk works hard on something mysterious. (could you do the math in OOC?:smallsmile:)

And Sam makes sure the food supply can handle all the requests. (8.2 pieces worth of food)

100 xp each

ybot
2011-07-14, 11:24 PM
Sam will spend the first two days traveling with the group to the plains (if we decide to go) and spend the rest of the week farming.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Moranica
2011-07-18, 08:26 AM
Spot & listen checks everyone!

ybot
2011-07-18, 10:30 AM
spot [roll0]
listen [roll1]

Sheep Overlord
2011-07-18, 10:38 AM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Dirac Lotus
2011-07-18, 10:50 AM
Spot and Listen:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-07-18, 03:17 PM
Grulk is paying attention!

"Grulk cast Grulk's Faithful Watchdog!"

[roll0] Listen
[roll1] Spot

Forbiddenwar
2011-07-19, 10:17 AM
Tara has been quiet for the week, when she speaks at all she talks of the excitement and the danger of the circus, and of the people she may never see again. She eats, she keeps an eye out, but she didn't gather anything, nor did she craft anything.

Spot [roll0]
listen [roll1]

Moranica
2011-07-20, 08:31 AM
Arrows come flying out of nowhere.

Battlethread!

ybot
2011-07-28, 10:22 AM
where is your village? do they attack humans on sight?

ooc: I'd say after we get all of our information we use our surprise round to kill it.

Moranica
2011-07-28, 10:42 AM
"The village is not far from here, about two hours north. They aren't keen on humans, but your my friend, so they might like you as well."

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-07-28, 11:59 AM
While Grulk is extremly tired Grulk waves his gore covered 'wand' about and shouts, Grulk cast Tounges, Grulk can speak silly birdman language."

Forbiddenwar
2011-07-29, 02:29 PM
Tara jaw drops as she watches the helpless creature screams out in pain solely for Sam's amusement.
He told us everything! What are you doing, Sam? Grulk, are all wizards this cruel?

posted in both threads as I'm not sure which one we are using at the moment.

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-07-29, 04:25 PM
With arms crossed defaintly crossed across his chest, "No, Grulk think little scally man is mean."

ybot
2011-07-31, 05:52 PM
Sam takes a deep breath and tries to calm down before saying. We must do something about the nearby village. If we do nothing they will send more hunters to sneak up and kill us. I see three options. We can kill them all and take the village, talk to them, or move away. I am willing to do any of them but we need to rest for the night and heal.

Dirac Lotus
2011-08-04, 04:25 AM
Howl did not seem at all phased by the slaughter of the helpless birdman, he merely seemed to watch in fascination at the power of the magic at work.

"Whilst I prefer the idea of storming the village by force, I fear that that may lead to our deaths. Quite quickly. However, I despise the idea of running. Perhaps we should head there and try to talk to them. If anything, we can scout out the layout of the village and weigh up our chances of taking it."

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-10, 10:51 PM
Perhaps I can scout out the village better alone than the rest of you. Off I go to do that!

[roll0]
[roll1]

ybot
2011-08-11, 12:42 PM
Good idea. Make sure to find out how big the village is. If you can speak with them find out who the leader is.

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-16, 07:18 AM
Good idea. Tara disappears into the underbrush. (see previous hide and move silently)

Scouting:
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-16, 07:23 AM
And Search for good measure, in case of traps:
[roll0]

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-17, 07:32 AM
Tara Returns 2 days later! Her hair is matted and dishevled, filled with leaves and sticks, her eyes wide with fear.

That was the scariest thing I ever done. Their village is a bit further out than expected. It took me most of the day to get there and most of the day to get back.

All told there was about thirty residents. It was difficult to tell who may have been skilled at fighting and who wasn't, since nearly everyone adult sized bird thing was heavily armed. The only ones who weren't, about 6, were highly revered, and seemed to cast feats of magic similar to yours, Sam, as a form of discipline.

While approaching the village, I did not encounter any war parties however. It seems our encounter was was unexpected, they may still not know that we are even here.

ybot
2011-08-17, 09:23 AM
We should rest a prepare for the rest of the week. I still need some crossbow bolts if one of you would be kind enough to make those. At the end of the week when we are ready for battle we can try to talk to them.

Sam will farm for the week
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-25, 01:49 PM
Good idea. I'll try to get some materials for healing potions and such to help

roll for profession:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-08-25, 05:25 PM
Grulk works on a new spell for the week. Mass Grulk's Painful Fist.

Show
2011-08-25, 08:40 PM
Sam carefully cultivates neaby plant life, gathering a total of 7.8 GP of food supplies before the end of the week.
Tara quickly follows suit, painstakingly collecting 7.9 GP magical materials of great variety, not to mention color.

Grulk's perserverence provides the group with not just research into a powerful new spell, but also gives a collateral benefit... the surrounding woods(hideously crippled by the week's spell testing) will never again doubt the power of such a devoted spellcaster.

ybot
2011-08-29, 07:25 PM
Sam will travel to the Kenku village by himself or with anyone else who wants to come (and posts within the next few days). He will try to look as nonviolent and peaceful as he can.

Dirac Lotus
2011-09-04, 07:42 AM
Howl will accompany Sam to the village, wolf at his side. He will be constantly alert for potential ambushes, or kenku who want us dead.

ybot
2011-09-04, 09:24 AM
Looks like only Sam and Howl will go. Sam will call back watch out for exploding fire elementals as they leave.

Show
2011-09-13, 11:14 PM
It takes the better part of the day to trek north far enough to reach the village, and a few more hours to locate the village. You can hear the soft murmur of activity(of what kind you can't quite make out) just within hearing distance. A thin trail of smoke rises visibly out of the clearing just under a hundred feet ahead.

Spot, Listen, Move Silently, etc. No checks are necessary if you're not being particularly cautious or silent about your approach.

ybot
2011-09-14, 10:42 PM
spot [roll0]
listen [roll1]

trying to look friendly so no hide or move silently

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-09-14, 11:42 PM
A pretty butterfly crosses Grulk's vision. His wastes several hours chasing it, claiming he needed a familar.

ybot
2011-09-27, 08:38 AM
Sam will travel east in search of another group.

Show
2011-09-27, 11:51 AM
Wat! Sorry! Totally blew my mind, there.

You enter an approximately 20-20 foot clearing. A small fire burns in the center, and four birdmen sit about it on rough logs as a few others mill about the clearing gambling, polishing weapons, and guarding recently won or stolen trinkets from others.
The birdmen(women, children) jump up, fumbling to recover weapons from their sides. Faces poke out of nests within trees, and the entire clearing freezes.

Battlethread, I suppose.

Show
2011-09-28, 12:16 PM
Howl
Just moments after Sam steps into the brush, your ears are filled with the chittering and cries of the birdmen. After a brief flurry of activity, all goes quiet, save for the ordinary sounds of the village from before.