PDA

View Full Version : "Heroic" Dungeons and Traps

Drakevarg
2011-06-25, 07:49 AM
Apologies for the WoW terminology, but I honestly couldn't think of a better term.

A "heroic" dungeon here means a version of a dungeon designed to cater towards an 8-player party as opposed to a 4 player one. In my current campaign I noticed my dungeons were far too easy specifically because I had designed it according to the party's EL... but forgot to account for the fact that I was running with twice as many players as usual.

However, apart from that issue I rather liked the dungeons I'd come up with and wanted to turn them into a more permanent module for future use. Plus with future dungeons, I wanted to be able to adjust on the fly if half the party couldn't make it that week (which is happening more and more lately, almost to the point where I'm considering just ending the campaign and focusing on forward momentum in my personal life).

So my idea was to create each dungeon twice, one a normal, 4-player mode and one keyed for an 8-player party. Since the general rule of thumb I've been given is that double the numbers equals CR +2 (for both monsters and players), it seemed easy enough: double the number of monsters in some areas, or give them another 2 class levels in others.

However, the very first dungeon in this campaign which I adapting into a module is nothing more than a series of trapped rooms. Here I started thinking about the implications of a blind +2 CR boost. After all, just a normal CR 3 pit trap claimed the lives of 2 PCs the first time around. I shudder at what a CR 5 trap could do.

The reason for this, I think, is that while a larger party can divert fire from any one PC when it comes to monsters, you can't run interference for a pointy hole in the ground that just opened under your feet. Every PC faces the full brunt of it alone.

Considering this, it occurred to me that I could just leave traps as normal. However, this would mean only half the XP per player, and the area is specifically supposed to bring the party from level 3 to level 4 if they encounter every trap within. It's an infinite loop dungeon, meaning they'll keep encountering the same traps over and over and over again until they find the way out. To keep them from getting unlimited XP in this area, I ruled that each trap only grants XP the first time it is encountered. (To keep it from being an inevitable death trap for people with poor sense of direction, it also continuously resurrects those trapped within until they find the way out.)

So my question to the playground is: How can I create a "Heroic Mode" version of my trap dungeon without turning it into a blender? Doubling the trap variety (and thus doubling the granted XP) doesn't seem like much of an option, as the reason I only put the amount of variety in the dungeon that it has (as opposed to a unique trap in each of the 100 rooms mapped out) is because the DMG selection isn't particularly appealing and I only chose the ones that really seemed interesting.

Herabec
2011-06-25, 11:19 AM
Option A to make it...more dangerous: Give a limit to the number of times they can die and be brought back. This will make them take more time and use more caution instead of death literally being a revolving door.

Option B: Put spikes at the bottoms of your pit traps. That'll show 'em you mean business.

Option C: Does the dungeon have monsters? If so, you can boost the CR of the monsters enough to make up for keeping the traps the same, making the monster encounters dangerous (but probably not lethal), and the traps remain as fatal as you'd like them to be.

As a side note: Why does your dungeon sound suspiciously like the Maze of Many from Goblins? Not that there's anything wrong with that. :smalltongue:

Drakevarg
2011-06-25, 12:26 PM
Option A to make it...more dangerous: Give a limit to the number of times they can die and be brought back. This will make them take more time and use more caution instead of death literally being a revolving door.

True, but they don't know that it resurrects and would have no way of knowing it would have a limit. Plus that doesn't dumb down to "deals the appropriate XP."

Option B: Put spikes at the bottoms of your pit traps. That'll show 'em you mean business.

As I mentioned, the idea of simply making the traps more dangerous seems iffy, considering that a CR 3 trap is more than capable of killing them.

Option C: Does the dungeon have monsters? If so, you can boost the CR of the monsters enough to make up for keeping the traps the same, making the monster encounters dangerous (but probably not lethal), and the traps remain as fatal as you'd like them to be.

No monsters whatsoever. Hence the concern.

As a side note: Why does your dungeon sound suspiciously like the Maze of Many from Goblins? Not that there's anything wrong with that. :smalltongue:

Were you actually IN it, you'd liken it more to Cube.

Herabec
2011-06-25, 01:36 PM
*shrugs*

You could always flip off the recommend XP gains for a party of eight people and give out as much as you want, therefor if they should make it to level 4 by the end, then they will. You're the DM, after all. Nothing says you have to strictly adhere to the XP value their CRs should grant.

Just double it. Problem solved.

And unfortunately, Cube isn't something I'm familiar with, so I likened it with something I *am* familiar with. No offense meant.

Zaq
2011-06-25, 01:49 PM
"Heroic" means "bigger than usual" in WoW? Huh. Weird how 4e has trained me to think of "heroic" as meaning "lower-level." It's amazing the stuff you just kind of accept and get used to until it's presented in another context. "Heroic" SHOULD mean "larger than life" (and it still does, in 4e . . . the baseline's just wonky). I'm just musing on how it hadn't occurred to me how the lexicon had wormed its way into my consciousness.

Nothing to add here. Carry on.

Drakevarg
2011-06-25, 02:08 PM
*shrugs*

You could always flip off the recommend XP gains for a party of eight people and give out as much as you want, therefor if they should make it to level 4 by the end, then they will. You're the DM, after all. Nothing says you have to strictly adhere to the XP value their CRs should grant.

Just double it. Problem solved.

Actually, considering what I said about each PC essentially bearing the brunt of a trap individually, this is entirely valid. I guess I'll run with that.

ericgrau
2011-06-25, 02:29 PM
To make traps harder without killing off PCs, maybe try +2 to all DCs without changing damage. To represent being 2 levels higher in difficulty yet while remembering the poor rogue's HP hasn't changed (or even the meatshield trap triggerer's). It'll eat more party resources on fixes or disable more of them before a fight without making people roll new characters.

Simply popping in more traps could do the same. You don't make them individual encounters, you mix them with monsters or other time pressure so the party has to deal with them all instead of resting up between each one. Time pressure in general is good to keep traps fun and exciting rather than a boring set of rolls. Creative traps help too of course.