PDA

View Full Version : Will we find out V's Gender?

DuskWings
2011-06-25, 11:38 AM
I heard that the author wouldn't reveal V's gender in the comic somewhere, is that true?
If so, can you link me to the post?

Lira
2011-06-25, 11:43 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10

Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation.

Cizak
2011-06-25, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

DuskWings
2011-06-25, 11:50 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10

:smallfrown::smalleek: :vaarsuvius:
WHY CRUEL WORLD, WHY?!
Awwwww... why be so evil?

MoonCat
2011-06-25, 12:04 PM
WHY CRUEL WORLD, WHY?!

Because then there will be something always there for us to speculate about, instead of resorting to saying that anyone with a ponytail is related to Haley is our search for new speculation material? Or now Rich doesn't want to decide.

But you can still debate about it over in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201481) thread, where there are good points for both gender.

Conuly
2011-06-25, 12:14 PM
If we knew which pronoun to use for V, what would we talk about between comics? Be reasonable, here!

Klear
2011-06-25, 12:38 PM
If we knew which pronoun to use for V, what would we talk about between comics? Be reasonable, here!

Belkar's death? Miko's return? The possibilities are endless!

Prowl
2011-06-25, 12:51 PM

We could speculate about what might happen in the next month's comic

NerfTW
2011-06-25, 01:30 PM
WHY CRUEL WORLD, WHY?!

V's gender at this point is completely irrelevant to the character. I hardly see how the revelation of what genitalia he/she has will change the character at all, unless you force gender stereotypes onto the character after the fact.

I just don't see the appeal. Especially give that we've already seen plenty of gender-neutral elves, to the point where gender defined make up a distinct minority.

Kato
2011-06-25, 01:31 PM

*mumbles something about 'Not starting with THAT again'*

Meh, there is enough stuff people can discuss... like their favorite crack pairings or Roy and Celia's sex life or Haley and Elan's sex life or Tsukiko and Xykon's sex life...
Why are you staring at me like that?

Phishfood
2011-06-25, 02:15 PM
I believe we will find out V's gender. It will be the final panel of the final comic, in order to end on a joke after whatever bittersweet ending the giant has come up with.

A la the finale of friends.
*sad moment of everyone going seperate ways*
"lets get coffee"
"sure, but where?"

Dr.Epic
2011-06-25, 03:27 PM

If the MitD is just two floating, glowing eyes?

The Succubus
2011-06-25, 03:45 PM
V is actually Schrodingersexual. S/he is genderless until someone looks inside his/her pants and the act of observation determines the gender.

In other news, I hear the groaning of an undead horse being flogged.

Goosefarble
2011-06-25, 09:27 PM

Miko's return?

Don't even joke about that, man. Just... don't.

malloyd
2011-06-25, 10:18 PM
WHY CRUEL WORLD, WHY?!

I always assumed it was part of the joke, a parody of the type of player who doesn't bother with that social background stuff. Though V broke from that stereotype when (s)he started displaying concern for family.

Cizak
2011-06-26, 03:16 PM
I believe we will find out V's gender. It will be the final panel of the final comic, in order to end on a joke after whatever bittersweet ending the giant has come up with.

A la the finale of friends.
*sad moment of everyone going seperate ways*
"lets get coffee"
"sure, but where?"

We won't.more letter

McDouggal
2011-06-26, 03:31 PM
We never will find out. I've always assumed she was female because she rooms with Haley only.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-26, 04:18 PM
We never will find out. I've always assumed she was female because she rooms with Haley only.

We don't get to see any evidence of this until they're out of Dorukan's Dungeon. For the first 100+ strips, did you think V was female?

McDouggal
2011-06-26, 08:55 PM
We don't get to see any evidence of this until they're out of Dorukan's Dungeon. For the first 100+ strips, did you think V was female?

Yes. I originally thought she was wearing a dress.

MoonCat
2011-06-26, 09:18 PM
The later posts seem like something for the Gender Debate Thread, especially now that duskwing's question has been answered.

McDouggal
2011-06-26, 09:24 PM
Sorry. I'll move over there.

mootoall
2011-06-26, 09:29 PM
I thought it was a joke about people who don't bother filling out the top part of their character sheet at all, yeah. Gender, height, weight, age, eye colour ... problem is, most of those have to be represented in a visual medium.

Ancalagon
2011-06-27, 01:41 AM
We won't find out about the gender.

Rich stated somewhere (books?) he did not plan the gender-ambiguity of Vaarsuivus but that he saw people on the forum start to discuss (that should make this the oldest debate on the forum, btw) what gender that elf was - and he decided to simply stick with this and turn it into a recurring joke.

Since then, we have seen so many references that Vaarsuvius himself seems to be aware of that ambiguity and also tries to evade that question (e.g. Origin of PCs, he first drops a blob of ink in the field and then rejects to correct it or his comment to Sabine in Azure City) so it's - to me - likely Vaarsuvius simply does not have a gender at all (or both at the same time).

Anyway: That question will not get resolved. And I think the reason for that - beyond the "keeping the joke" - it's because there is no actual answer to that question (anymore).

Ardent
2011-06-27, 02:28 AM
V is beyond gender, within Shcler trousers V holds what cannot be comprehended by mortal minds. The proper way to refer to V is likely 'Schleer' or 'Schlee'.

Killer Angel
2011-06-27, 02:42 AM
V's gender at this point is completely irrelevant to the character.

Indeed. At best, such revelation wouldn't add nothing: It's much better to keep it unrevealed.

Unless this, of course:

MoonCat
2011-06-27, 10:54 AM
V is beyond gender, within Shcler trousers V holds what cannot be comprehended by mortal minds. The proper way to refer to V is likely 'Schleer' or 'Schlee'.

Not if a certain poster in the Gender Debate Thread has anything to say about it. :smallwink: (In joke, sorry)

golentan
2011-06-27, 11:13 AM
We're better off not knowing... (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/GuestWeek2005/oots9901.gif)

fizzybobnewt
2011-06-27, 11:15 AM
There's no point speculating because we know for a fact that Rich adds plenty of evidence for either one.

Ardent
2011-06-27, 07:45 PM
We're better off not knowing... (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/GuestWeek2005/oots9901.gif)
I... I thought the beholder -WAS- the La'Slari'In...

EpilepticWombat
2011-06-27, 08:43 PM
I used to hope as much, but it seems not to be the case.

I...actually read through the whole comic thinking that V was a walking elves-are-andrygonous joke and was definitely supposed to be male. And he's such a typical male in personality and name suffix that it's hard to shake the thought, even though Fem-V is more interesting somehow.

Dakaran
2011-06-27, 09:00 PM
I get the feeling that Rich will stick with not revealing V's gender. What I wonder is if he'll ever reveal Daigo's last name. :smallwink:

Ardent
2011-06-28, 01:18 AM
Perhaps he'll reveal Inkyrius' gender, to give as a possible hint, however V schlerself said 'adoptive progeny'.

MoonCat
2011-06-28, 11:01 AM
Perhaps he'll reveal Inkyrius' gender, to give as a possible hint, however V schlerself said 'adoptive progeny'.

Inkyrius is male, his eyes are on male level, and his hips are square (females only have that when wearing armor, I really doubt a baker has to worry about a collective uprising from the muffins). So either V is gay and a guy, or straight and female.

Kish
2011-06-28, 11:21 AM
You are not seriously under the impression you can make blithe assertions about Inkyrius' sex and have them work significantly better than similar assertions about Vaarsuvius' sex, I hope.

MoonCat
2011-06-28, 11:25 AM
You are not seriously under the impression you can make blithe assertions about Inkyrius' sex and have them work significantly better than similar assertions about Vaarsuvius' sex, I hope.

What? V's eyes are between male and female level and we've never seen hir hips, but Inkyrius is a clearly defined male. I don't see your problem with it.

Kish
2011-06-28, 11:26 AM
:smallsigh: My problem with it is that it's not true.

FujinAkari
2011-06-29, 12:04 PM
:smallsigh: My problem with it is that it's not true.

Well no... in the strip pretty much every male character has eyes at a certain level, and every female character has eyes at a different level. V and other androgenous elves have eyes somewhere in between. Inkyrius has eyes exactly at the male level.

While it isn't "proof" that Inky is male, I would count it as evidence.