PDA

View Full Version : Factotum -> Monk (and other underpowered classes) Variants

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 01:38 PM
So I was thinking some about monk fixes, and had some...inspiration, if you will. The factotum class actually does a lot of things well that the monk does poorly. I figure with a bit of a translation and maybe a few variant features, you could use the factotum class as a foundation for a solid Tier 3 monk.

My effort is below. I'm thinking overall several of its abilities got a bit stronger, especially in combat, but I believe that the cost in versatility makes up for it. It should still hit Tier 3, but it's definitely more of a combat focused class than a do-anything skill master.

Credit and thanks to Vallum for the formatting and descriptions on this class!

Additional Variants:
Swashbuckler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11286564&postcount=16)
Soulknife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11287700&postcount=25)
Samurai (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11288239&postcount=33)

Monk
HD: d8
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, and Tumble

Skill Points: 4 + Int per level

The Monk
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|AC Bonus, Unarmed Strike, Meditation, Zen Insight, A Drop Of Zen, Stunning Fist

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Divine Dilettante (1 Spell, 0th)

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Divine Dilettante (1st), Fast Movement, Inner Strength, Zen Defense

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Divine Dilettante (2 Spells), Zen Flurry

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Divine Dilettante (2nd), Wholeness of Body

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|-

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Divine Dilettante (3 Spells)

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Divine Dilettante (3rd), Zen Surge

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Divine Dilettante (4 Spells)

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+7|Divine Dilettante (4th), Wholeness of Body (+1 use)

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+7|Zen Breach

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Divine Dilettante (5 Spells)

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Divine Dilettante (5th), Zen Dodge

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|Divine Dilettante (6 Spells)

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+9|Divine Dilettante (6th), Wholeness of Body (+1 use)

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Improved Zen Defense

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Divine Dilettante (7 Spells)

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|Divine Dilettante (7th),

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+11|Enlightenment

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|Divine Dilettante (8 Spells)[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Monk is proficient withclub, Crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, Shuriken, siangham, sling, and his/her unarmed strikes.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his/her Wisdom Bonus, (if any), to her AC. In addition, the monk add gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th).
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. The monk loses these bonuses if the monk is ever immobilized or helpless, when the monk where's any armor, when the monk carries a shield, or when the monk carries a medium or heavy load.

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.
Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, (as shown on Table below). A Small monk deals less damage than the amount given there with her unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage; see the Table below

{table=head]Level|Damage (Small)|Damage (Medium)|Damage (Large)

1st-3rd|
1d4|
1d6|
1d8|

4th-7th|
1d6|
1d8|
2d6|

8th-11th|
1d8|
1d10|
2d8|

12th-15th|
1d10|
2d6|
3d6|

16th-19th|
2d6|
2d8|
3d8|

20th|
2d8|
2d10|
4d8|[/table]

Myself, I kind of stopped counting the monk's damage and AC bonus as a "class feature". They're par with proficiencies, at least until the higher levels, and maybe even then. The speed bonus and all good saves is a notable power up for the loss of two skill points, but I think the loss of all class skills easily makes up for it.

Meditation: The monk, through rigorous and long years of tempering his/herself to be in sync with the body and mind, had learned to utilize the benefits of calming the mind in order to improve the body.
This practice of mind and body synchronization is represented through zen points. At the beginning of each encounter, a monk gains zen points determined by his/her level, as shown in the table below

{table=head]Level|Zen Points

1|
2|

2-4|
3|

5-7|
4|

8-9|
5|

10-12|
6|

13-14|
7|

15-7|
8|

18-19|
9|

20|
10|[/table]

In keeping with the typical monk theme. This does, however, also further bring down the skill mastery that is a major strength of a normal factotum.

Zen Insight (Ex): Before making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, the monk may spend 1 zen point. For one complete round of combat, the monk gains a competence bonus on its attack rolls, damage rolls, or saving throws equal to the monk's Wisdom modifier. Zen insight does not require an action, and the monk can use it as often as it wishes during its own or other's turns - provided the monk has Zen points to spend. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

Pretty much a straight buff, but the monk is much more a physical combatant than the factotum, so it needs to be able to attack well reliably, and saving throws are a monk specialty as well.

A Drop Of Zen (Ex): When making a check involving a skill in which the monk has at least 1 rank, and which is one of the monk's class skills, the monk may spend a zen point to gain a bonus on the check equal to its monk level. It can use this ability once per day for a particular skill.

Although not itself much weaker, this ability is hampered somewhat by the fact that the monk has fewer skill points and class skills, and uses Wis rather than Int. This does allow the monk to perform those fantastic feats of acrobatics and such that we'd expect.

Stunning Fist: The monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. However, rather then using the ability once per day per level, the monk uses a zen point to use it. The monk may still only use Stunning Fist once per round.

I'd rate trapfinding as about par with a feat. Stunning Fist is probably generally more useful, especially with per-encounter use, so it's another plus combat minus versatility swap.

Divine Dilettante (Sp): At 2nd level, the monk acquires the use of divine magic. However, the methods in which it obtains the magic are through the divine spark within it, tapped into by years of spiritual training, rather then through the belief and faith of a pantheon. By spending a zen point, a monk my mimic a spell as a spell-like ability.

At the start of each day, the monk may choose a number of spells from the cleric spell list based on its monk level. It can choose one spell at 2nd level, and gains additional spells as shown on the main progression table. The maximum level of spell it can use, according to its class level, is also shown on the table. The monk can select any cleric spell up to that level. Its caster level equals its level in this character class. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against its spells is 10 + the spell level + the monk's Wis modifier.

Once the monk has used a spell, it cannot use that spell again until it has rested 8 hours. After resting for this time, the monk chooses new spells and loses any unused spells from the previous day, though the monk can select the same spell on consecutive days. The monk cannot prepare the same spell multiple times to use it more the once during the same day.

The monk cannot use spells that require an XP cost. The monk must otherwise provide the necessary material components as normal.

If the monk wishes to enhance a spell with a metamagic feat, the monk must apply the feat when he prepares the spell. In addition, the monk must be capable of using a spell of the modified spell's level.

The cleric list is good, don't get me wrong, but I'd say this is probably another notable versatility reduction. No Alter Self at the very least. This gives the monk some good combat buffs, flexible defense/immunity spells, and some other miscellaneous monk-type stuff (Air Walk, Slay Living = Quivering Palm, etc). Some stuff gets lost in the translation (Dimension Door), but plenty is gained over the normal monk, and in a much more level-appropriate manner.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains a competence bonus of plus ten per three levels, (or a total of plus 20 at 6th, 30 at 9th, est.), to his/her speed. A monk in armor (even light armor) or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Inner Strength (Ex): At 3rd level, The monk adds its Wisdom bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills biased on Strength or Dexterity, including Initiative checks. This bonus also applies to all combat maneuvers, even those that rely on opposed attack rolls (but not to the attack rolls made to hit with a touch attack for a combat maneuver).

Bam. Super acrobatics and athletics, excellent stealth, high initiative, and competence with combat maneuvers. A perfect fit for a monk.

Zen Defense (Ex): Through long hours of strenuous training, the monk can endure and avoid without thought. Starting at 3rd level, the monk may spend a Zen point to gain either its Wisdom modifier in DR/- or a 20% miss chance against a designated opponent, at the monk's discretion.

The monk already has Wis to AC, and while it isn't strictly as good as one that stacks with, say, armor, double Wis to AC sounds like trouble to me. You can still do a dodgey monk, or just go with the "I can take a gut punch and won't even flinch" style monk.

Zen Flurry (Ex): The world around us is an illusion, as are the limitations one puts on oneself. A monk has taken another step in breaking this reality, learning the body has no limits. When a monk makes an attack or full attack action, the monk may spend zen points to gain more attacks. For every zen point spent in this way, the monk may make another attack, but the monk suffers a -2 on all attacks for each point spent in this way. The monk must use this ability before it makes any attacks in the current round.

I'd call this an overall buff (although no Craven stacking, sadly). Cunning Strike needed something though, in my opinion. This could be a great nova ability, especially with Font of Inspiration, but I think the attack penalty might get a bit too stiff if you overuse it. Still, great way to punish, say, shock troopers. And useful on the move!

Wholeness of Body (Su): The monk's body and mind are as one, and in dire need, the monk has advanced in the studies of the universe to enable the mind to will the body to heal at an accelerated rate. At 5th level, the monk gains the ability to regain a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the monk + the monk's Wis modifier. Alternately, the monk may make an additional save against any conditions or magical effects active upon it, which normally allow a saving throw to negate, resist, remove, or prevent from worsening. A successful saving throw immediately removes the condition or effect from the monk, even if the effect's normal saving throw would have had a lesser effect. A monk can use this ability per day equal to 3 + its Con modifier. The monk may use this ability to attempt to remove a condition even if that condition would otherwise prevent or control the action required to activate this ability. The monk may only use this part of the ability once on a given spell or condition. Using this ability is a swift action.

Hmm...being unable to heal allies is a bit of a pain, but swift action self-healing or status removal can be great. It is intentionally worded to work against any spell that allows a save, as well as poisons, diseases, and even negative levels (since you get a save to prevent them from worsening). I'd call this a buff overall. For consistency, I'm keeping the odd daily uses tied to an alternate ability score, despite my burning hatred of MAD. Eh, at least it's Con.

Zen Surge (Ex): The monk has learned that time is an illusion to the degree of working around it. Starting at 8th level, a monk may, by spending 3 zen points, take an extra standard action during its turn.

Extra actions? For a monk? Yes please.

Zen Breach (Su): No matter the material of an object, all things have a weakness. Through the monk's studies, a monk at 11th level may spend 2 zen points as a free action to ignore a single target's spell resistance and damage reduction for 1 round, reducing the SR or DR to 0 against any attacks or effects generated by the monk.

Ah, DR, the ancient foe of the monk. This should help, at least, no change from the base necessary.

Zen Dodge (Ex): Through the life of the monk tuning itself to the universe, the universe starts to return the monks effort in the most dire of situations. If the Monk takes damage that would reduce its hit points to 0 or fewer, it may spend 4 Zen points as an immediate action to ignore the damage. This ability can only be used once a day.

I actually totally missed this ability in the first writeup. Vallum was astute enough to catch it and add it back in.

Improved Zen Defense (Ex): Through training of the monastery and through the life the monk has lived intertwining so close to the peak of the monk's ultimate destiny. At level 16, the monk now, simultaneously rather then either or, has the effects of 20% miss chance and DR/- equal to its Wis modifier. In addition, the monk no longer needs to spend zen points to gain these effects.

Originally, I was having Zen Defense be a choice on acquisition, and this remain one or the other. I got word that this one may have been a bit weak, though, and when Vallum put the class in proper format, these were on use and both. I endorse the change and am leaving it in.

Enlightenment (Ex): At 19th level, the monk has achieved the highest state of being a mortal can achieve: becoming one with the universe, connected to all. At the start of each day, the monk may choose three extraordinary class features. Each ability must be available to a standard character at 15th level or lower, and must appear on the advancement table or in the text description for that class. By spending 4 zen points as a free action, the monk gains the benefits and drawbacks of one chosen ability for 1 minute. The monk uses the ability as if it was the level in the relevant class equal to the its level in the monk class. The monk can use each chosen class ability once per day.

I was shifting some away from sheer versatility with this variant, but this ability still makes good sense for the monk. There are plenty of Ex abilities that a monk could theoretically use, and this gives it the option.

Vallum
2011-06-25, 02:22 PM
I think the changes are pretty neat, and using factotum as a base for this is a pretty nifty idea. I'll experiment with it when I run another game.

RaggedAngel
2011-06-25, 02:50 PM
I've just started playing with a factotum, and I've fallen in love with the class. The idea to use it as a chasis to fix up the monk is inspirationally inspired. I wish I had more to comment, but I couldn't find anything I'd change about your write up. A table would look nice and shiny, of course, but this idea is fine on it's own.

In short, you get a cookie. :smallsmile:

Eloel
2011-06-25, 02:58 PM
This is, inspiring? Meditating? :smallbiggrin:
Great idea, solid improvement over Monk with proven mechanics, kudos!

Also, need a Swashbuckler(cha-based) based on the same mechanics, now! :smallcool:

Vallum
2011-06-25, 03:00 PM
I've just started playing with a factotum, and I've fallen in love with the class. The idea to use it as a chasis to fix up the monk is inspirationally inspired. I wish I had more to comment, but I couldn't find anything I'd change about your write up. A table would look nice and shiny, of course, but this idea is fine on it's own.

In short, you get a cookie. :smallsmile:

I will later today. I'll try to post the table up when I get a chance.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 03:02 PM
Cool! Thanks for the positive responses!

And you know what, factotum probably would serve as a swashbuckler base admirably. I may indeed give that one some thought.

JKTrickster
2011-06-25, 03:09 PM
This is....this is simply brilliant! A wonderful Monk "fix"!

Is there anything the Factotum isn't perfect for? :smallbiggrin:

Draz74
2011-06-25, 03:09 PM
So I was thinking some about monk fixes, and had some...inspiration, if you will. The factotum class actually does a lot of things well that the monk does poorly. I figure with a bit of a translation and maybe a few variant features, you could use the factotum class as a foundation for a solid Tier 3 monk.
Cute. I've actually wondered how much you could get away with replacing every class with Factotum spin-offs. Pair'O'Dice Lost once made a Factotum variant for each ability score, which was a fun little experiment.

Chassis: The monk is reduced to 4 Skill Points per level,
Boo. I'd leave it at 6 skill points. It still won't be as skilled as the Factotum, since Intelligence is a low-priority stat.

and uses the normal monk skill list. It loses its factotum weapon and armor proficiencies and gains those of the normal monk (yes, yes, and proficiency with its unarmed strike). It gains good Fortitude and Will saves (in addition to Reflex), and it gains the unarmed strike damage, AC bonus, and speed bonus of a normal monk.
I think the Monk speed gets a little excessive at high levels, and should be a different kind of bonus instead of Enhancement (so it stacks better), but otherwise this sounds fine.

Cunning Zen Insight: When the monk uses this ability, the effects last for one round, rather than on just one attack or saving throw (although the monk only gains the save bonus to one type of saves; it must use this ability again to boost a different type of saving throws in the same round).

Pretty much a straight buff, but the monk is much more a physical combatant than the factotum, so it needs to be able to attack well reliably, and saving throws are a monk specialty as well.
Um. How is the monk much more a physical combatant than the Factotum? The Factotum is sometimes supposed to fill the tank role.

Basically, I don't like this buff.

Cunning Zen Knowledge: This ability functions normally.

Although not itself weaker, this ability is hampered somewhat by the fact that the monk has fewer skill points and class skills, and uses Wis rather than Int. This does allow the monk to perform those fantastic feats of acrobatics and such that we'd expect.
OK ... I don't think this is broken, but it doesn't feel very Monk-ish to me.

Trapfinding Stunning Fist: Trapfinding is removed and replaced with Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. Instead of the normal monk's ability to use this feat once per day per level, the monk may use it by spending an Inspiration point.

I'd rate trapfinding as about par with a feat, and since this does tap the same limited pool of IP as powers the rest of the monk's abilities, I'd say this is about an even trade.
Trapfinding is equivalent to a very weak feat. And you're boosting Stunning Fist's power considerably. I don't have a problem with this swap, but you should at least admit that it's a pretty big power-up. :smalltongue:

Arcane Divine Dilettante: This ability functions normally, but the monk draws spells from the Cleric spell list.

The cleric list is good, don't get me wrong, but I'd say this is probably another notable versatility reduction. No Alter Self at the very least. This gives the monk some good combat buffs, flexible defense/immunity spells, and some other miscellaneous monk-type stuff (Air Walk, Slay Living = Quivering Palm, etc). Some stuff gets lost in the translation (Dimension Door), but plenty is gained over the normal monk, and in a much more level-appropriate manner.
OK. I'd prefer replacing Arcane Dilettante with Diamond Mind / Setting Sun / Shadow Hand maneuvers, somehow, but I guess Cleric spells kind of works ok too.

I do feel like the Monk should have some sort of dimension door-type ability.

Brains Over Brawn Inner Strength: This ability functions normally.

Bam. Super acrobatics and athletics, excellent stealth, high initiative, and competence with combat maneuvers. A perfect fit for a monk.
Yeah, my Monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11041902&postcount=2) steals this Factotum ability in this same way, and I love how it works out. :smallsmile:

Cunning Zen Defense: This ability now provides DR/- against a chosen opponent equal to the monk's Wisdom modifier, rather than a dodge bonus to AC. Alternately, the monk can gain a 20% miss chance against its chosen opponent. The monk chooses which option it can use when it gains the ability.

The monk already has Wis to AC, and while it isn't strictly as good as one that stacks with, say, armor, double Wis to AC sounds like trouble to me. You can still do a dodgey monk, or just go with the "I can take a gut punch and won't even flinch" style monk.
DR ... meh. I'd just stick with the %-miss chance, if I were you. Or leave it with double-AC bonuses; I don' think that would break anything. But I like the %-miss chance. Feels appropriate to the Monk somehow.

Cunning Strike Zen Flurry: Cunning Strike is removed and replaced with Zen Flurry. When making an attack or full attack action, the monk may spend IP to make additional attacks. Each IP spent allows the monk to make one additional attack that round, but all attacks that round suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls.

I'd call this an overall buff (although no Craven stacking, sadly). This could be a great nova ability, especially with Font of Inspiration, but I think the attack penalty might get a bit too stiff if you overuse it. Still, great way to punish, say, shock troopers. And useful on the move!
It's definitely an overall buff, since the original Cunning Strike is TERRIBLE (except with Craven, if allowed). But I like it.

Opportunist Piety Wholeness of Body: This ability functions like the healing effect of Opportunistic Piety, except the monk can only heal itself. Alternately, it may make an immediate saving throw with a bonus equal to its Wisdom modifier against any spell or condition upon it that allows a saving throw to negate, resist, remove, or prevent from worsening. A successful save removes the condition entirely or ends the effects of the spell upon the monk. Using this ability is a swift action, and it can be used a number of times per day equal to 3 + the monk's Constitution modifier. The monk may use this ability to attempt to remove a condition even if that condition would otherwise prevent or control the action required to activate this ability. The monk may only use this ability once on a given spell or condition.

Hmm...being unable to heal allies is a bit of a pain, but swift action self-healing or status removal can be great. It is intentionally worded to work against any spell that allows a save, as well as poisons, diseases, and even negative levels (since you get a save to prevent them from worsening). I'd call this a buff overall. For consistency, I'm keeping the odd daily uses tied to an alternate ability score, despite my burning hatred of MAD. Eh, at least it's Con.
I agree it should keep the MAD aspect. Again, this is definitely a buff (because of the swift action thing), but I'm ok with it.

Cunning Zen Surge: This ability functions normally.

Extra actions? For a monk? Yes please.
Cool. Monks should definitely have some action economy breaking power. Mine works differently, but I have no objections to Zen Surge.

Cunning Zen Breach: This ability functions normally.

Ah, DR, the ancient foe of the monk. Once again, factotum comes to the rescue.
OK, you realize that this ability doesn't kick in until Level 11, right? And only lasts one round? And that lots of monsters have nasty DR long before that? DR is still going to be a MAJOR weakness for your Monk. Even compared to the SRD Monk.

Improved Cunning Zen Defense: Adjusting for the modification to Zen Defense, the monk's Zen Defense benefit now applies continually with no IP cost.
Seems a little weak at this level, really. But maybe that's ok.

Cunning Zen Brilliance: This ability functions normally.

I was shifting some away from sheer versatility with this variant, but this ability still makes good sense for the monk. There are plenty of Ex abilities that a monk could theoretically use, and this gives it the option.

Doesn't really feel Monk-ish to me. But again, I don't think it will really break anything.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 03:42 PM
Boo. I'd leave it at 6 skill points. It still won't be as skilled as the Factotum, since Intelligence is a low-priority stat.

Definitely a possibility. That being said, I'm kind of under the impression (and I think the rest of your analysis collaborates it) that this class gets more buffs than nerfs over the factotum. Leaving it with four skill points helps make absolutely sure the normal factotum clearly retains its primary niche.

I think the Monk speed gets a little excessive at high levels, and should be a different kind of bonus instead of Enhancement (so it stacks better), but otherwise this sounds fine.

Myself, I subscribe to the idea that high level characters are too slow in general. You are absolutely correct about changing the bonus type though; it's something I do for monks in my normal house rules and I completely forgot.

Um. How is the monk much more a physical combatant than the Factotum? The Factotum is sometimes supposed to fill the tank role.

Basically, I don't like this buff.

The factotum does a little bit of everything, which can include fighting, but the monk is a highly skilled unarmed combatant, one who is quite likely to be relying on multiple attacks. I think for the monk to be effective in a prolonged battle, it needs to get more mileage out of its IP with regards to letting it use its primary ability on attacks.

OK ... I don't think this is broken, but it doesn't feel very Monk-ish to me.

Maybe not with all skills, but for things like Jump, Tumble, Balance, Climb, Spot, Listen...Hide and Move Silently if you're more "ninja" like...I dunno, it fits to me.

Trapfinding is equivalent to a very weak feat. And you're boosting Stunning Fist's power considerably. I don't have a problem with this swap, but you should at least admit that it's a pretty big power-up. :smalltongue:

Eh, fair enough.

OK. I'd prefer replacing Arcane Dilettante with Diamond Mind / Setting Sun / Shadow Hand maneuvers, somehow, but I guess Cleric spells kind of works ok too.

I was considering martial maneuvers myself, but this is the best place to maintain the supernatural aspects of the class. I know maneuvers have some of the supernatural bits, but not as great a variety and in many cases they're weaker and come later (indeed, without also tweaking the progression, a monk couldn't even reach the Shadow Hand version of Air Walk).

I do feel like the Monk should have some sort of dimension door-type ability.

I wholeheartedly concur, and if there's a good way to shoehorn it in I'd love to do so.

Yeah, my Monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11041902&postcount=2) steals this Factotum ability in this same way, and I love how it works out. :smallsmile:

:smallcool:

DR ... meh. I'd just stick with the %-miss chance, if I were you. Or leave it with double-AC bonuses; I don' think that would break anything. But I like the %-miss chance. Feels appropriate to the Monk somehow.

Well, ya know, options never hurt. I'm just very cautious about ability-bonus stacking in general. Especially if it's your primary attribute.

It's definitely an overall buff, since the original Cunning Strike is TERRIBLE (except with Craven, if allowed). But I like it.

Yeah, I was perhaps a bit too reserved in my personal analysis. But yes, Cunning Strike just...isn't efficient.

I agree it should keep the MAD aspect. Again, this is definitely a buff (because of the swift action thing), but I'm ok with it.

Yeah definitely way stronger for the monk itself, the main disadvantage being, true to form for this variant, a reduction in the factotum's normal versatility.

OK, you realize that this ability doesn't kick in until Level 11, right? And only lasts one round? And that lots of monsters have nasty DR long before that? DR is still going to be a MAJOR weakness for your Monk. Even compared to the SRD Monk.

Okay, true enough.

Seems a little weak at this level, really. But maybe that's ok.

I don't disagree, but I am trying to keep to the factotum's template fairly closely.

Doesn't really feel Monk-ish to me. But again, I don't think it will really break anything.

Yeah, as with the skill one, there are certainly ways a monk could use this ability that aren't monk-like. But it does also give a lot of options that are.

Thanks for the analysis! Not sure if my reasoning is all completely sound, but there you have it.

Is there anything the Factotum isn't perfect for? :smallbiggrin:

I am becoming ever more doubtful that there is.

Vallum
2011-06-25, 03:55 PM
So, what would the changes be OP? (trying to make the table, just want to change anything from what you have posted in the first post).

Draz74
2011-06-25, 04:05 PM
Maybe not with all skills, but for things like Jump, Tumble, Balance, Climb, Spot, Listen...Hide and Move Silently if you're more "ninja" like...I dunno, it fits to me.
Yeah, if you just restrict it to Monk class skills, that makes me feel much better about it.

I was considering martial maneuvers myself, but this is the best place to maintain the supernatural aspects of the class. I know maneuvers have some of the supernatural bits, but not as great a variety and in many cases they're weaker and come later (indeed, without also tweaking the progression, a monk couldn't even reach the Shadow Hand version of Air Walk).
I guess the biggest problem with the Cleric tactic is that there are a lot of Cleric spells you could pick that aren't very flavor-appropriate for the Monk. But if that doesn't bother you with Cunning Brilliance, it probably won't bother you here either.

Thanks for the analysis! Not sure if my reasoning is all completely sound, but there you have it.
Feel free to reciprocate with comments on my fix. :smallwink:

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 05:02 PM
So, what would the changes be OP? (trying to make the table, just want to change anything from what you have posted in the first post).

I don't think any for the table itself. Mechanically, speed is now a Competence bonus, and yeah I'll just go in and hard-restrict Zen Knowledge to the monk class skills. It does make a bit more sense that way and fits the "no, you're not as versatile as a factotum" premise.

Prime32
2011-06-25, 05:26 PM
I'd suggest borrowing the advanced versions of Stunning Fist from the PF monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk), to make it more useful for its cost.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 06:00 PM
Hmm...in the general sense, I'm a fan of Stunning Fist imposing more debuffs. As Draz rightly pointed out, though, trading out Trapfinding for Stunning Fist is already a buff. A broader range of status effects might make it a bit too good for that ability slot. Although to be honest, I'm generally underwhelmed with the Pathfinder stunning fist options, with the possible exception of staggered in conjunction with their Medusa's Wrath feat. So I guess I just provided two reasons I'm leery of doing so that directly contradict each other...

Vallum
2011-06-25, 06:37 PM
Monk
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, and Tumble

The Monk

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|AC Bonus, Unarmed Strike, Meditation, Zen Insight, A Drop Of Zen, Stunning Fist

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Divine Dilettante (1 Spell)

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Fast Movement, Inner Strength, Zen Defense

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Divine Dilettante (2 Spells), Zen Flurry

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Wholeness of Body

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|-

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Divine Dilettante (3 Spells)

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Zen Surge

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Divine Dilettante (4 Spells)

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+7|Wholeness of Body (+1 use)

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+7|Zen Breach

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Divine Dilettante (5 Spells)

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Zen Dodge

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|Divine Dilettante (6 Spells)

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+9|Wholeness of Body (+1 use)

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Improved Zen Defense

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Divine Dilettante (7 Spells)

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|-

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+11|Enlightenment

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|Divine Dilettante (8 Spells[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Monk is proficient withclub, Crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, Shuriken, siangham, sling, and his/her unarmed strikes.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his/her Wisdom Bonus, (if any), to her AC. In addition, the monk add gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th).
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. The monk loses these bonuses if the monk is ever immobilized or helpless, when the monk where's any armor, when the monk carries a shield, or when the monk carries a medium or heavy load.

Unarmed Strike At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.
Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, (as shown on Table below). A Small monk deals less damage than the amount given there with her unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage; see the Table below

{table=head]Level|Damage (Small)|Damage (Medium)|Damage (Large)

1st-3rd|
1d4|
1d6|
1d8|

4th-7th|
1d6|
1d8|
2d6|

8th-11th|
1d8|
1d10|
2d8|

12th-15th|
1d10|
2d6|
3d6|

16th-19th|
2d6|
2d8|
3d8|

20th|
2d8|
2d10|
4d8|[/table]

Meditation The monk, through rigorous and long years of tempering his/herself to be in sync with the body and mind, had learned to utilize the benefits of calming the mind in order to improve the body.
This practice of mind and body synchronization is represented through zen points. At the beginning of each encounter, a monk gains zen points determined by his/her level, as shown in the table below

{table=head]Level|Zen Points

1|
2|

2-4|
3|

5-7|
4|

8-9|
5|

10-12|
6|

13-14|
7|

15-7|
8|

18-19|
9|

20|
10|[/table]

Zen Insight (Ex): Before making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, The monk may spend 1 zen point. for one complete round of combat, a monk gains a competence bonus on a attack roll, a damage roll, and a saving throw equal to the monk's Wisdom modifier. Zen insight does not require an action, and a monk can use it as often as the monk wishes during the monks or other's turns- provided the monk has Zen points to spend. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

A Drop Of Zen(Ex) When making a check involving a skill in which the Monk has at least 1 rank and is part of the monk's class skills, the monk may spend a zen point to gain a bonus on the check equal to your monk level. You can use this ability once per day for a particular skill.

Stunning Fist: The monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. However, rather then using the ability once per day per level, the monk uses a zen point to use it.

Divine Dilettante (Sp) At 2nd level, you acquire the use of divine magic. However, the methods in which you obtain the magic are through the divine spark in you, tapped into by years of spiritual training, rather then through the belief and faith of a pantheon. By spending a zen point, a monk my mimic a spell as a spell-like ability.
At the start of each day, chose a number of spells from the cleric spell list based on your monk level. You can choose one spell at 2nd level, and the monk gains additional spells, (as shown on the main progression table). The maximum level of spell you can use, according to your class level, is also shown on the table. You can select any cleric spell up to that level. Your caster level equals your level in this character class. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your spell is 10 + the spell level + the monk's Wis modifier.
Once the monk has used a spell, the monk cannot use it again until the monk has rested 8 hours. After resting for this time, the monk chooses new spells and lose any unused spells from the previous day, though the monk can select the same spell on consecutive days. The monk cannot prepare the same spell multiple times to use it more the once during the same day.
The monk cannot use spells that require an XP cost. The monk must otherwise provide the necessary material components as normal.
If the monk wise to enhance a spell with a metamagic feat, the monk must apply the feat when he prepares the spell. In addition, the monk must be capable of using a spell of the modified spell's level.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains a competence bonus of plus ten per three levels, (or a total of plus 20 at 6th, 30 at 9th, est.), to his/her speed. A monk in armor (even light armor) or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Inner Strength (Ex): At 3rd level, The monk gains the monk's Wisdom bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills biased on Strength or Dexterity

Zen Defense (Ex): Through long hours of strenuous training, the monk can endure and avoid without thought. Starting at 3rd level, the monk my spend a Zen point to gain the monk's wisdom modifier in DR/-, or may spend a Zen point to gain a 20% dodge chance against a designated opponent, at the monk's digression.

Zen Flurry (Ex): The world around us is an illusion, as are the limitations one puts on oneself. A monk has taken another step in breaking this reality, learning the body has no limits. When a monk makes a full-round attack, the monk may spend zen points to gain more attacks. For every zen point spent in this way, the monk may make another attack, but the monk suffers a -2 on all attacks for each point spent in this way.

Wholeness of Body (Su): The monk's body and mind are as one, and in dire need, the monk has advanced in the studies of the universe to enable the mind to will the body to heal at an accelerated rate. At 5th level, the monk gains the ability to restore a number of hit points equal to twice the level of the monk + the monk's Wis modifier. In addition, the monk may make an additional save against any impeding effects, (magical or otherwise), that is afflicting the monk, in order to negate, resist, remove, or prevent from worsening. A monk can use this ability per day equal to 3 + his Con modifier. The monk may use this ability to attempt to remove a condition even if that condition would otherwise prevent or control the action required to activate this ability. The monk may only use this part of the ability once on a given spell or condition.

Zen Surge (Ex): The monk has learned that time is an illusion to the degree of working around it. Starting at 8th level, a monk may, by spending 3 of the monk's zen points, take an extra standard action during the Monk's turn.

Zen Breach (Su): No matter the material of an object, all things have a weakness. Through the monk's studies, a monk at 11th level spend 2 zen points, (as a free action), ignore a single target's spell resistance and damage reduction for 1 round. The target automatically fails any spell resistance check that he/she/it attempts to avoid the monk's spell.

Zen Dodge (Ex): Through the life of the monk tuning itself to0 the universe, the starts to return the monks effort in the most dire of situations. If the Monk takes damage that would reduce the monk's hit points to 0 or fewer, the monk may spend 4 action points as an immediate action to ignore the damage. This can only be used once a day

Improved Zen Defense (Ex): Through training of the monastery and through the life the monk has lived intertwining so close to the peak of the monk's ultimate destiny. At level 16, the monk now, simultaneously rather then either or, has the effects of 20% miss chance and DR/- equal to the monk's Wis modifier. In addition, the monk no longer needs to spend zen points to gain these effects

Enlightenment (Ex) At 19th level, the monk has achieved the highest state of being a mortal can achieve: becoming one with the universe, connected to all. At the start of each day, the monk now chooses three extraordinary class features. Each ability must be available to a standard character at 15th level or lower, and must appear on the advancement table or in the text description for that class. By spending 4 zen points as a free action, the monk gains the benefits and drawbacks of one chosen ability for 1 minute. The monk uses the ability as if the monk was the level in the relevant class equaled to the monk's level in the monk class. The monk can use each chosen class ability once per day

---------------
Ta-da!

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 06:39 PM
Based on Eloel's suggestion request demand (:smalltongue:), I went ahead and did a swashbuckler version.

Swashbuckler
Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope.

The Swashbuckler

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Luck, Lucky Insight, Lucky Expertise, Weapon Finesse

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Martial Dilettante (1 Maneuver, 1st)

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Daring-do, Lucky Defense

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Martial Dilettante (2 Maneuvers), Lucky Strike

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Martial Dilettante (2nd), Opportunistic Recovery

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|-

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Martial Dilettante (3 Maneuvers)

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Martial Dilettante (3rd), Lucky Opening

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Martial Dilettante (4 Maneuvers)

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Martial Dilettante (4th), Opportunistic Recovery (+1 use)

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|Lucky Breach

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Martial Dilettante (5 Maneuvers)

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|Martial Dilettante (5th), Lucky Dodge

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4|Martial Dilettante (6 Maneuvers)

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Martial Dilettante (6th), Opportunistic Recovery (+1 use)

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Improved Lucky Defense

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Martial Dilettante (7 Maneuvers)

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|Martial Dilettante (7th),

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Seen That Before!

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Martial Dilettante (8 Maneuvers)[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A swashbuckler is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armor, but not with shields.

Okay, full BAB on the factotum chassis is a question-mark, but a swashbuckler is a warrior who favors accuracy and precision. In my book, that means full BAB. The loss of all class skills may help some, but this may require some other abilities being tweaked down. The additional skills of course help for anyone who wants a more Zorro-style swashbuckler.

Luck: The swashbuckler is known for feats of skill and daring that some would say border on the suicidal. Whether tackling monsters as mighty as giants, demons, and dragons with its slender rapier, leaping across alleys, roads, and chasms, or talking its way out of being caught in all manner of compromising positions, the swashbuckler somehow makes it through with skill, finesse...and more than a little sheer astonishing luck.

This natural good fortune is represented through luck points. At the beginning of each encounter, a swashbuckler gains luck points determined by his/her level, as shown in the table below

{table=head]Level|Luck Points

1|
2|

2-4|
3|

5-7|
4|

8-9|
5|

10-12|
6|

13-14|
7|

15-7|
8|

18-19|
9|

20|
10|[/table]

Cha-based by request. I also kind of like the flavor of the swashbuckler's "inspiration" being based more on fortune, and luck seems to fit with Cha to me.

Lucky Insight (Ex): Every so often, fortune smiles on a swashbuckler, giving it an opening to score a telling blow or fend off a hostile spell. Before making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, the swashbuckler may spend 1 luck point. The swashbuckler gains a competence bonus on the roll equal to the swashbuckler's Charisma modifier. Lucky insight does not require an action, and a swashbuckler can use it as often as the swashbuckler wishes during the swashbucklers or other's turns - provided the swashbuckler has luck points to spend. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

Okay, I'm going into this with the idea of single attacks rather than full attacks, but with that being said, I also had a thought that this could become move action activation, and last the encounter, but only against one foe, to simulate the "one on one duelist" archetype. It'd be a clear improvement though. Maybe could balance it with removal of the save boosting, which does seem a bit out-of-archetype for swashbucklers, but would hurt...any thoughts?

Lucky Expertise (Ex): When making a check involving a skill in which the swashbuckler has at least 1 rank, and which is part of the swashbuckler's class skill list, the swashbuckler may spend a luck point to gain a bonus on the check equal to its swashbuckler level. It can use this ability once per day for a particular skill.

So based on swashbuckler class skills, you can expect this guy to be performing all sorts of acrobatic and social stunts with high checks...eh...Cha based...well, it means Diplomancer abuse, but what can you do? (Answer: Fix Diplomacy)

Weapon Finesse: The swashbuckler gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. Additionally, when wielding a finessable weapon in one hand and nothing in its off-hand, the swashbuckler may substitute its Dexterity modifier for its Strength modifier on damage rolls as well.

Eh, give it the other class's first level feat. Why not? Added the improvement to incentivise the classes archetypal fighting style.

Martial Dilettante (Ex): At 2nd level, the swashbuckler learns how to perform advanced martial maneuvers. For the purposes of this ability, the swashbuckler is considered to know all martial maneuvers from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Tiger Claw, and White Raven disciplines (it does not actually know these maneuvers for the purposes of a normal maneuver progression).

At the start of each day, the swashbuckler may choose a number of maneuvers from the above disciplines to ready. It can choose one maneuver at 2nd level, and the swashbuckler gains additional readied maneuvers as shown on the main progression table. The maximum level of maneuver it can use, according to its class level, is also shown on the table. It can select any maneuver from its available disciplines up to that level. Its initiator level for maneuvers gained from this class equals its level in this character class. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against its maneuvers is 10 + the maneuvers level + its Cha modifier, even if the maneuver specifies a different ability score. Like other martial adepts, the swashbuckler can exchange its readied maneuvers with five minutes of drilling. This also refreshes its maneuvers, if they weren't already.

The swashbuckler must ready stances before it can enter them, unlike other martial adepts. It is still limited to entering one stance at a time.

The swashbuckler must spend a luck point to initiate a maneuver or to change a stance. It may use each maneuver once per encounter and does not have a natural recovery mechanic (but see Opportunistic Recovery below).

The swashbuckler cannot use the Adaptive Style feat in conjunction with maneuvers gained from this ability.

I am going to withhold personal analysis on this one for a moment, because a later ability strongly impacts it.

Daring-do (Ex): At 3rd level, the swashbuckler adds its Charisma bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, Constitution checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. It also adds this bonus on attack rolls made to sunder or disarm.

Buffed some for mastery of Diamond Mind, in my opinion the quintessential swashbuckler discipline. Also lets it perform all those feats of running, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, climbing walls and ropes, and the like without getting tired. Or I mean, it would if anyone ever bothered to track fatigue or roll Constitution checks for stuff like that.

Lucky Defense (Ex): A swashbuckler avoids attacks with deft agility and amazing fortune. Starting at 3rd level, the swashbuckler my spend a luck point to add its Charisma modifier as a dodge bonus to its Armor Class against a single chosen opponent. This bonus lasts for one round.

Well, I suppose that gives me my one-on-one duelist bit, although I was considering the same thing here; make it a move action with encounter duration.

Lucky Strike (Ex): Every swashbuckler enjoys the ring of blades, the exchange of blows, the testing and feinting and striking and - suddenly - the perfect opening for a finishing strike. Starting at fourth level, whenever the swashbuckler makes a single attack with a standard or full-round action (including with martial strikes, spring attacks, and charging), it may spend luck points to improve the damage of the attack. Each luck point spent (up to a maximum of one-third the swashbuckler's class level) increases the damage of the attack by 25%, or 50% if the swashbuckler is wielding a finessable weapon in one hand and nothing in its off hand. This increase does not apply to extra damage dice, and if part of the attack's damage is multiplied or increased by a certain percentage (as with Ruby Nightmare Blade, Leap Attack, or a critical hit), this only applies to the unmultiplied portion.

Another strict improvement to Cunning Strike. This should help with the general theme of "one strong attack" rather than a full attack.

Opportunistic Recovery (Ex): The swashbuckler is trained in many classical combat styles, and can adapt its fighting to match them all. Starting at fifth level, the swashbuckler can spend a luck point and take a full-round action to get into a proper form for its new style. It then immediately gains the benefits of having spent five minutes drilling, fully refreshing its readied maneuvers and allowing it to change its selection. The swashbuckler may do this a number of times per day equal to 3 + its Intelligence modifier, and one additional time per day at tenth and fifteenth level.

Okay, the maneuvers. I'm not going to pretend otherwise, this is a big question for me. Not because I think it's strictly overpowered. Maneuvers, even with their per-encounter usage and such, are pretty much strictly weaker than spells. Giving up both the spells and the opportunistic piety for maneuver access and recovery is, I think, a nerf (albeit not a terrible one, since it can use them more often) to the factotum core.

That being said, this class is meant for Tier 3, so its interactions with the normal martial adepts concerns me. So here it is. It has generally fewer maneuvers available (always, compared to swordsage, it kinda matches warblades and crusaders at the higher levels, but doesn't get free stances). It has discipline access comparable to a warblade, and they're pretty good disciplines. It has slower progression of high-level maneuvers (big) and never gets eighth or, most importantly, the mighty ninth level maneuvers. It has the weakest recovery mechanic of them all. Each maneuver spent costs it 1 IP, as does each maneuver recovery, meaning that unlike the other adepts, it can run completely out of maneuvers in a prolonged fight. It can't recover maneuvers in-encounter at all until fifth level.

And it tips its hat to its factotum roots by being able to swap them out very freely, giving it a degree of versatility unmatched by the other martial adepts. I am not going to pretend this is anything other than huge. It might be too much, even considering the above limitations. Or it might balance them perfectly. I'm honestly not sure.

Lucky Opening (Ex): In the midst of brutal combat, fortune oft conspires to give one warrior or another an opening to act unhindered. Swashbucklers are masters at capitalizing on these fleeting chances. Starting at eighth level, the swashbuckler may, by spending 3 luck points, take an extra standard action during its turn.

As a "make a single strong attack" class, extra standard actions let it make more single, strong attacks. Such as strikes. I do also notice that this means it could recover and exchange maneuvers and still strike in the same round. I'm considering adding a preventative clause to Opportunistic Recovery, but that is still a 5 IP dump, so I don't think it's too broken.

Lucky Breach (Su): All foes guard their weaknesses well, but with some deft skill and a little luck, a swashbuckler can plant its weapon in even the most carefully-guarded weak point. Starting at eleventh level, the swashbuckler may spend two luck points to ignore a single foe's Damage Reduction for one round.

I like the notion of the swashbuckler plunking its rapier into the one weak point on the enemy. Somewhat nerfed by other class changes, since the swashbuckler couldn't care less about beating SR.

Lucky Dodge (Ex): It defies probability, how many times a seemingly perfect, fatal attack levelled at a the swashbuckler somehow manages to miss. Starting at thirteenth level, if the swashbuckler takes damage that would reduce its hit points to 0 or fewer, the swashbuckler may spend 4 luck points as an immediate action to ignore the damage. This can only be used once a day.

Fits perfectly with the swashbuckler theme, no mechanical changes necessary.

Improved Lucky Defense (Ex): When a high-level swashbuckler challenges a mob, it is almost a comedy. Warriors of skill bumble into each others' paths, block each others' weapons, and just generally stumble all over one another. At level 16, the swashbuckler gains the benefit of its Lucky Defense ability against all attacks, without need of spending luck points.

And I guess there goes the one-on-one duelist bit. Well, whatever. If you can't deal with multiple foes by 16th level something went wrong.

Seen That Before! (Ex) At 19th level, the swashbuckler is such an adaptable an experienced combatant that it gains profound insight into all the myriad fighting styles and physical skills it has seen or heard about over the course of its varied career. At the start of each day, the swashbuckler now chooses three extraordinary class features. Each ability must be available to a standard character at 15th level or lower, and must appear on the advancement table or in the text description for that class. By spending 4 luck points as a free action, the swashbuckler gains the benefits and drawbacks of one chosen ability for 1 minute. The swashbuckler uses the ability as if the swashbuckler was the level in the relevant class equal to the swashbuckler's level in the swashbuckler class. The swashbuckler can use each chosen class ability once per day.

Now...I'm a bit less sold on this ability for the swashbuckler than I was for the monk (although with the flavor added it's growing on me). I mean, it still works well enough. You can snag Evasion, or Uncanny Dodge, or some scout sense abilities to do a blind swordsman thing. Skirmish could be cool. I mean, there are plenty of Ex abilities that a swashbuckler can use, but it's a bit weirder for some of them. Monks have the excuse of being quasi-supernatural anyway. That said, I really don't have any great ideas for a replacement capstone, so I'm sticking with it.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 06:46 PM
{Spiffy-looking class layout}

Woah! You didn't just do a table, you wrote the thing out! And with better ability names and actual ability fluff to boot! That is awesome man, thanks!

Permission to add to OP, captain?

Vallum
2011-06-25, 06:49 PM
Woah! You didn't just do a table, you wrote the thing out! And with better ability names and actual ability fluff to boot! That is awesome man, thanks!

Permission to add to OP, captain?

Permission granted, its why I made it after all.
Though, i have to say, I cringed when I saw the swashbuckler write-up and though, "damn, I have to do it again D:" XD
I can, but I'll be going on a date soon, so it would be later when I can get to it

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't ask you to. I'll go through and spruce up the Swashbuckler.:smallwink:

By which I of course mean, shamelessly and blatantly copy your template and replace it with the rules for the other class.

Draz74
2011-06-25, 07:20 PM
Chassis: The swashbuckler is reduced to 4 Skill Points per level, and uses the normal swashbuckler skill list, plus Concentration, Disguise, Intimidate, Hide, and Move Silently. It also gains a full Base Attack Bonus. The rest of its chassis remains normal for the factotum.

Okay, full BAB on the factotum chassis is a question-mark, but a swashbuckler is a warrior who favors accuracy and precision. In my book, that means full BAB. The loss of all class skills may help some, but this may require some other abilities being tweaked down. The additional skills of course help for anyone who wants a more Zorro-style swashbuckler.
Thank you for adding Disguise. It should get Perform, too.

Cunning Lucky Insight: This ability functions normally.

Okay, I'm going into this with the idea of single attacks rather than full attacks, but with that being said, I also had a thought that this could become move action activation, and last the encounter, but only against one foe, to simulate the "one on one duelist" archetype. It'd be a clear improvement though. Maybe could balance it with removal of the save boosting, which does seem a bit out-of-archetype for swashbucklers, but would hurt...any thoughts?
Save boosting is not at all out-of-archetype. It should be kept, both for flavor and for mechanical reasons.

I think the one-on-one aspect of the archetype is easy enough just to roleplay, especially with Tome of Battle abilities coming into play. IMO you don't need to give mechanical incentives to the Swashbuckler to focus on one opponent; either the encounter will involve one "main boss" foe, and the Swashbuckler will be a good candidate to focus attention on it; or there will be a mix of foes of various power levels, and the party will appreciate if the Swashbuckler doesn't become useless after dropping his one quarry.

Besides, if the player wants an incentive for the one-on-one style, they can always use Stance of Clarity, Steely Strike, Rabid Bear Strike ...

Arcane Martial Dilettante: The swashbuckler selects martial maneuvers, rather than spells. For the purpose of this ability, it is treated as "knowing" all maneuvers from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Tiger's Claw, and White Raven schools. It may use the slots provided by this ability to ready maneuvers. It may not use any stance that it hasn't readied. It uses the same maneuver progression as a factotum does for spells, but is not limited to only one maneuver of its highest level. It may use its maneuvers once per encounter. The swashbuckler does not receive a recovery mechanic, and must still spend 1 IP each time it uses a maneuver. Like other martial adepts, the swashbuckler uses its full class level to determine its initiator level for maneuvers gained from this class. The swashbuckler may not select Adaptive Style as a feat (but see Opportunistic Recovery below).

I am going to withhold personal analysis on this one for a moment, because a later ability strongly impacts it.
FYI, it's not clear from this writeup if these maneuvers recover 1/encounter, or whether they're 1/day use like the Factotum's SLAs. I can tell it's supposed to be the former, based on your commentary lower down, but at this point I wasn't sure.

Brains Over Brawn Derring-do: This ability functions normally, except it also applies to Constitution-based rolls and checks.

Buffed some for mastery of Diamond Mind, in my opinion the quintessential swashbuckler discipline. Also lets it perform all those feats of running, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, climbing walls and ropes, and the like without getting tired. Or I mean, it would if anyone ever bothered to track fatigue or roll Constitution checks for stuff like that.
Is "Derring" a word? Did you by chance mean "Daring"?

Cunning Strike Lucky Strike: Whenever the swashbuckler scores a critical hit, it may spend IP to increase the critical multiplier by one per IP spent. It may do so a maximum number of times equal to one, plus one per four points its threat check exceeded the target's AC.

My premise for the Cunning Strike replacements is they should be stackable, fit the class theme, and be substantially better than Cunning Strike. I was originally thinking to make this a simple +50% damage per IP, but only with standard action attacks (no crit required), but was a bit concerned with how it might interact with strikes. Since swashbucklers deserve a crit-based ability, I think this is quite solid. Hopefully the stacking limit will prevent this from reading as "on a crit, the target dies and the swashbuckler loses enough IP to make it happen".
Hmmm, ick. I don't like it. First, that limitation is a pain in the butt bookkeeping-wise; it will slow the game down. Second, this leaves the Swashbuckler relatively useless against crit-immune monsters. Third, it just doesn't feel like a Swashbuckler to me. I agree that focusing on crits is appropriate, but ... normally when Zorro scores a crit against his foe, he doesn't kill him.

I'd prefer to replace this with something like, "Spend a luck point before you attack. If that attack hits, it is automatically considered a critical threat. This threat must be confirmed normally."

Just brainstorming, though. In fact, now I see two problems with that idea already. (Doesn't fix the crit-immunity issue, and actually discourages the Swash from using a rapier.) Maybe ...

"When you threaten a critical hit, spend an inspiration point to automatically confirm the critical hit. Also, make it apply to foes that are normally immune to critical hits."

?

Opportunist Piety Opportunistic Recovery: The swashbuckler can spend 1 IP as a full-round action to gain the benefits of using the Adaptive Style feat. It may do so a number of times per day equal to 3 + its Intelligence modifier.

Okay, the maneuvers. I'm not going to pretend otherwise, this is a big question for me. Not because I think it's strictly overpowered. Maneuvers, even with their per-encounter usage and such, are pretty much strictly weaker than spells. Giving up both the spells and the opportunistic piety for maneuver access and recovery is, I think, a nerf (albeit not a terrible one, since it can use them more often) to the factotum core.

That being said, this class is meant for Tier 3, so its interactions with the normal martial adepts concerns me. So here it is. It has generally fewer maneuvers available (always, compared to swordsage, it kinda matches warblades and crusaders at the higher levels, but doesn't get free stances). It has discipline access comparable to a warblade, and they're pretty good disciplines. It has slower progression of high-level maneuvers (big) and never gets eighth or, most importantly, the mighty ninth level maneuvers. It has the weakest recovery mechanic of them all. Each maneuver spent costs it 1 IP, as does each maneuver recovery, meaning that unlike the other adepts, it can run completely out of maneuvers in a prolonged fight. It can't recover maneuvers in-encounter at all until fifth level.

And it tips its hat to its factotum roots by being able to swap them out very freely, giving it a degree of versatility unmatched by the other martial adepts. I am not going to pretend this is anything other than huge. It might be too much, even considering the above limitations. Or it might balance them perfectly. I'm honestly not sure.
I'm not either. I'll have to stew on this some more. Overall, since these maneuvers do refresh every encounter, I actually think they're more powerful than the Factotum's spells -- as far as combat capability is concerned. Of course the Factotum still easily wins in terms of out-of-combat world-altering potential.

Cunning Lucky Surge: This ability functions normally.

As a "make a single strong attack" class, extra standard actions let it make more single, strong attacks. Such as strikes. I do also notice that this means it could recover and exchange maneuvers and still strike in the same round. I'm considering adding a preventative clause to Opportunistic Recovery, but that is still a 5 IP dump, so I don't think it's too broken.
Not broken at all, unless you're allowing Font of Inspiration Luck. Even then, might be ok.

JKTrickster
2011-06-25, 07:52 PM
I wonder....does anyone feel like statting the Fighter as a Factotum? :smallbiggrin:

Or even other classes? :smallwink:

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 07:55 PM
Thank you for adding Disguise. It should get Perform, too.

Very true, thanks!

Save boosting is not at all out-of-archetype. It should be kept, both for flavor and for mechanical reasons.

I think the one-on-one aspect of the archetype is easy enough just to roleplay, especially with Tome of Battle abilities coming into play. IMO you don't need to give mechanical incentives to the Swashbuckler to focus on one opponent; either the encounter will involve one "main boss" foe, and the Swashbuckler will be a good candidate to focus attention on it; or there will be a mix of foes of various power levels, and the party will appreciate if the Swashbuckler doesn't become useless after dropping his one quarry.

Besides, if the player wants an incentive for the one-on-one style, they can always use Stance of Clarity, Steely Strike, Rabid Bear Strike ...

This is spot-on (and actually, as I'm fluffing the actual write-up for the swashbuckler, I realize that it indeed is quite within archetype).

FYI, it's not clear from this writeup if these maneuvers recover 1/encounter, or whether they're 1/day use like the Factotum's SLAs. I can tell it's supposed to be the former, based on your commentary lower down, but at this point I wasn't sure.

Got it. That'll be cleared up in the write-up.

Is "Derring" a word? Did you by chance mean "Daring"?

I dunno, I have derring-do in my head. Spell check doesn't seem to like it though. Huh. Will switch.

Hmmm, ick. I don't like it. First, that limitation is a pain in the butt bookkeeping-wise; it will slow the game down. Second, this leaves the Swashbuckler relatively useless against crit-immune monsters. Third, it just doesn't feel like a Swashbuckler to me. I agree that focusing on crits is appropriate, but ... normally when Zorro scores a crit against his foe, he doesn't kill him.

I'd prefer to replace this with something like, "Spend a luck point before you attack. If that attack hits, it is automatically considered a critical threat. This threat must be confirmed normally."

Just brainstorming, though. In fact, now I see two problems with that idea already. (Doesn't fix the crit-immunity issue, and actually discourages the Swash from using a rapier.) Maybe ...

"When you threaten a critical hit, spend an inspiration point to automatically confirm the critical hit. Also, make it apply to foes that are normally immune to critical hits."

?

Hmm, fair points all. I did notice the rapier thing; adding some stuff to that effect in the write up (specifically, improved Weapon Finesse when one-handing a finessable weapon, and my original thought is halving this ability's strength unless one-handing a finessable weapon). Game speed is definitely a concern, as is dealing with crit-immune foes.

Hmm...in the past, I've homebrewed up some "on a threat, you can give up a threat check to instead attack again" abilities. At one IP per attack, it can potentially explode, but it gets harder, and it gets around crit immunity, and encourage high-threat weapons like the classic rapier. But it doesn't really encourage the single attack at all (not that this one does either).

Actually, that's kind of the issue with auto-threats. They encourage things like scythes and picks...I did want this to be somewhat stackable to... (EDIT: Uh, which you pointed out in your post. Reading Comprehension Go!)

I'm thinking it might be best to go back to my original theory. Make a single attack, spend IP, add a damage multiplier (probably +50% for one-handed finesse, +25% for other attacks). Specify that it doesn't multiply bonus dice to keep most Strikes in place (Ruby Nightmare is like giving up a maneuver slot for an extra IP on this, Diamond Nightmare is too high-level). And since it's not technically a crit, it gets past immunities.

Not 100% sure that's the best choice, but I think it's what I'll go with for now.

I'm not either. I'll have to stew on this some more. Overall, since these maneuvers do refresh every encounter, I actually think they're more powerful than the Factotum's spells -- as far as combat capability is concerned. Of course the Factotum still easily wins in terms of out-of-combat world-altering potential.

Potentially, perhaps, but yeah, the out-of-combat and sheer versatility in and out are big. I'm not too worried about swashbuckler/factotum comparisons for this one, I think the factotum is at least competitive and probably ahead. What really worries me is the other martial adepts. I think it's a really cool ability if it does work, I just don't want to overshadow the others.

Not broken at all, unless you're allowing Font of Inspiration Luck. Even then, might be ok.

I concur.

Thanks again for the analysis, very helpful!

I wonder....does anyone feel like statting the Fighter as a Factotum? :smallbiggrin:

Or even other classes? :smallwink:

Heh, I can see the thread title now. Factotum: Is There Anything It Can't Do?

It really is a great foundation for classes. A few flavor tweaks and a couple mechanics tweaks, and it is really pretty easy to make it fit another class's mold, but still be fairly unique and well-balanced.

Prime32
2011-06-25, 07:59 PM

Or even other classes? :smallwink:Soulknife?

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 08:33 PM
Heh, you know, I bet the soulknife would work...it could actually be really interesting, if it incorporated both Psionic Focus and the IP mechanics.

::Gears turning...::

Also, updated write-ups with proper formatting now posted.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 10:54 PM
Either these are fun to do, or I'm way too suggestible. Maybe both. Soulknife ahoy!

Soulknife
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Psionics), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

Skill Points: 6 + Int per level

The soulknife

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Mind Blade, Focus, Focused Aggression, Focused Aptitude, Weapon Focus

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Psychic Dilettante (1 Power, 1st)

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Biokinesis, Focused Defense

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Psychic Dilettante (2 Powers), Focused Strike

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Psychic Dilettante (2nd), Empowered Blade

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|-

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Psychic Dilettante (3 Powers)

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Psychic Dilettante (3rd), Id Surge

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Psychic Dilettante (4 Powers)

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Psychic Dilettante (4th), Empowered Blade (+1 Feature)

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Focused Breach

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Psychic Dilettante (5 Powers)

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Psychic Dilettante (5th), Ablation

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Psychic Dilettante (6 Powers)

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Psychic Dilettante (6th), Empowered Blade (+1 Feature)

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Improved Focused Defense

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Psychic Dilettante (7 Powers)

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Psychic Dilettante (7th),

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Perfect Weapon

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Psychic Dilettante (8 Powers)[/table]

I'm debating on full BAB, but we'll see how the class turns out without it for now, to keep close to the factotum core. Honestly, I think it might deserve it, though. Just by flavor. As a side note, the soulknife's original skill list was truly horrendous. You probably know that already.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A soulknife is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armor.

Mind Blade (Su): The iconic power of the soulknife is its ability to manifest a weapon of pure thought, coalescing all its aggression, hatred, or righteous wrath into solid form. The soulknife can shape this energy into any weapon it is proficient with, and adjust its form to benefit any feat or ability it possesses that affects its fighting (for example, a soulknife with the Two Weapon Fighting feat could manifest a pair of mind blades). Creating or reshaping a mind blade is a move action, although a soulknife with the Quick Draw feat can do so as a free action. Any weapon-specific feats or abilities the soulknife possesses or acquires can be keyed to its mind blade and thereafter apply regardless of its shape.

The soulknife's mind blade, once formed, cannot be dispelled or supressed, even by antimagic. The magic that shapes it is as binding as that which empowers a wizard's familiar or a golem. Antimagic can prevent a mind blade from being summoned or reshaped, but even then, the power is so tightly bound up in the soulknife's mind that it can still potentially do so with an effort of willpower. Such an effort requires a DC 20 Will save to succeed.

The mind blade is treated as a masterwork weapon. It can be destroyed, but it has hit points equal to half the soulknife's own and hardness equal to the soulknife's Charisma modifier plus its class level. Even if destroyed, the soulknife can simply reform it with a later action.

The soulknife can dismiss its mind blade as a free action. It may throw its mind blade with a range increment of 30', regardless of form, and the weapon immediately returns to its hand after each attack, allowing it to be thrown as many times as the soulknife has attacks. If it forms its mind blade into a ranged weapon, it automatically forms ammunition for each shot (and automatically reloads itself) as a free action. If the mind blade leaves the soulknife's hand for a full round, it vanishes.

It's a weapon. A summonable weapon, but still a weapon. There's no need for byzantine rules and restrictions. The additional versatility makes it into something worthy of being called a class feature.

Focus: The soulknife is a creature of constant, deadly focus - some would say they have to be, to keep the destructive sides of their minds in check. This focus lets them perform impressive feats of physical and psionic aptitude, melding their bodies and minds into a single deadly weapon. This focus is represented by a number of focus points as indicated on the table below, which the soulknife gains at the start of each encounter. The soulknife uses these points to power many of its abilities.

Additionally, each focus point counts as a power point. This allows the soulknife to achieve a psionic focus. A multiclassed soulknife may spend its focus points to manifest powers, but they count as a separate set of power points, and are thus subject to the normal rules preventing a character from manifesting a power from different sources. While focus points can be used as power points, the reverse is not true; effects that grant, reduce, and restore power points have no effect on a soulknife's focus points.

Due to the strength of its personal focus, a soulknife may acquire and maintain a psionic focus even if it doesn't currently have PP available. Additionally, a soulknife may expend its psionic focus to recover one focus point, though its total focus points cannot exceed its usual maximum.

{table=head]Level|Focus Points

1|
2|

2-4|
3|

5-7|
4|

8-9|
5|

10-12|
6|

13-14|
7|

15-7|
8|

18-19|
9|

20|
10|[/table]

So I'm playing around with this one some. Being able to expend psionic focus to recover focus points gives this class a bit of an advantage; it can potentially continue contributing during even prolonged encounters, although it will carry a notable action cost. Still, there may be some optimization potential here. Hopefully nothing broken, though. A soulknife dip might also be worth it for a psionic character to score a (small) amount of per-encounter manifesting.

Focused Aggression (Ex): A soulknife can channel its focus into a sudden wrathful assault, or forge ahead with sheer brutal will to resist enemy spells. Before making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, the soulknife may spend 1 focus point. For one complete round of combat, the soulknife gains a competence bonus on its attack rolls, damage rolls, or one type of saving throws equal to the soulknife's Charisma modifier. Focused aggression does not require an action, and the soulknife can use it as often as it wishes during its own or other's turns - provided the soulknife has focus points to spend. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

As with the monk, the soulknife's a killer, and has a good chance of relying on full attacks, so its IP give it more mileage for basic combat actions.

Focused Aptitude (Ex): The soulknife moves quick and sure, its very gaze can melt a warrior's resolve, and when it is on the hunt, it moves as stealthily as a vengeful ghost. When making a check involving a skill in which the soulknife has at least 1 rank, and which is one of the soulknife's class skills, the soulknife may spend a focus point to gain a bonus on the check equal to its class level. It can use this ability once per day for a particular skill.

Weapon Focus: They say the best warriors wield their weapons like extensions of their own bodies. Well, the soulknife's literally is. The soulknife gains Weapon Focus with its mind blade as a bonus feat.

Psychic Dilettante (Ps): At 2nd level, the soulknife's powerful will has expanded to the point that it can engender a small number of psionic powers. Although its mind is nowhere near as refined as a psion's, ardent's, or even a wilder's, it can still pump an impressive amount of power into its manifestations. It is also important to note that the soulknife does not painstakingly master each individual power; rather, it concentrates all its deepest desires into brilliant sparks of psionic energy, and then when the time comes unleashes them into the world to forcefully alter reality through will alone. By spending a focus point, a soulknife may mimic a psionic power as a psi-like ability.

At the start of each day, the soulknife may choose a number of psionic powers based on its soulknife level. It can choose one power at 2nd level, and gains additional powers as shown on the main progression table. The maximum level of power it can use, according to its class level, is also shown on the table. The soulknife can select any psionic spell up to that level, including discipline powers and psychic warrior powers. Its manifester level equals its level in this character class, and any power it manifests through this ability is automatically treated as fully augmented. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against its powers is 10 + the power level + the soulknife's Cha modifier.

Once the soulknife has used a power, it cannot use that power again until it has rested 8 hours. After resting for this time, the soulknife chooses new powers and loses any unused powers from the previous day, though the soulknife can select the same power on consecutive days. The soulknife cannot prepare the same power multiple times to use it more the once during the same day.

The soulknife cannot use powers that require an XP cost.

If the soulknife wishes to enhance a power with a metapsionic feat, the soulknife must expend its psionic focus when it manifests the power. In addition, the soulknife must be capable of using a power costing the power's base cost + the metapsionic feat's PP cost. The metapsionic feat's cost is deducted from the automatic augment that the power receives.

I was debating some on adjusting this so it more closely resembled the psionic rules, but in the end left it fairly standard, metapsionics aside. I'm thinking that the limited selection and the natural existence of Expanded Knowledge should make it okay to let it cherry-pick from all the psionic lists.

Biokinesis (Ex): At 3rd level, The soulknife develops precise mental control of its body, and adds its Charisma bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength or Dexterity, including Initiative checks.

Focused Defense (Ex): The soulknife defends itself with cold, calculating efficiency. A third level soulknife can spend a focus point to add its Charisma modifier as a dodge bonus to AC against the attacks of a single chosen foe for one round.

Focused Strike (Su): A soulknife's mind blade is a physical manifestation of its raw psionic power, and is thus a conduit for the power of the soulknife's mind. At fourth level, the soulknife can manifest a power through its mind blade. This costs 1 focus point in addition to the focus point for manifesting the power, and also requires the soulknife to expend its psionic focus. However, it does not use up the soulknife's daily use of the chosen power, containing its force fully in the blade, visiting it upon a struck foe, and letting it gather back into the soulknife's mind.

When using this ability, the soulknife makes a single attack as a standard action, and selects the power to channel. If the attack hits, the target suffers the power's effects. The power only affects the target, even if it would normally affect multiple foes. The attack roll itself replaces any attack rolls required or Reflex saves allowed by the spell. Fortitude and Will saves, and other defenses, apply normally, but the soulknife may replace a caster level check to penetrate SR with its attack roll, if it wishes (it must choose to do so before rolling a caster level check).

Kind of a duskblade-style ability here, and dovetails nicely with the excellent blasting powers of the psions. It is semi-at-will use of powers, albeit single-target offenses only, and costing focus and an extra IP, so I think it's okay. I'm debating on limiting it to damage powers only though. Adding in all the debuffs (and, perhaps most importantly, mind control) on the psionic lists might make this too good, but I kind of like the notion of a blow that blasts the enemy's mind with stunning or dazing force or whatever, so I figure I'll see how this looks first.

Empowered Blade (Su): As the soulknife advances, it can bind ever more of its mental strength into its blade. Starting at fifth level, the soulknife gains the ability to add a number of points of effective enhancement bonus to its mind blade equal to half its class level. The actual enhancement bonus cannot exceed +5 and must be at least +1. It may select any weapon effects that are valued by enhancement bonuses.

If any of these abilities have daily uses, each time the soulknife uses one in a given day, it counts as one daily uses against any such abilities the soulknife might add to its mind blade, regardless of how many times it dismisses, forms, or reshapes the blade.

Additionally, at tenth level, and again at fifteenth, the soulknife may add a feature of a different mundane weapon to its mind blade, selected from the following list:

Trip.
+2 to Disarms.
Set against charge.
Finessable.
Double Weapon.
High Threat (replaces critical entry with 19-20/X2 for one feature, or 18-20/X2 for two).
High Crit (replaces critical entry with 20/X3 for one feature, or 20/X4 for two).
Reach (5' per feature).
Threatening Reach (weapon must first possess reach).

The soulknife may change these powers and features as a full-round action by spending 1 IP. It may do so a number of times per day equal to 3 + its Wisdom modifier.

I'm calling this a strong boost over Opportunistic Piety, but it's the main point of being a soulknife, albeit now without all the silly restrictions and with some souped up versatility.

Id Surge (Ex): In times of true danger, the soulknife can lower the defenses that guard the world from its inner fury, unleashing the savagery within. For a moment, time seems to slow down, and the soulknife acts with astonishing speed. Starting at 8th level, a soulknife may, by spending 3 focus points, take an extra standard action during its turn.

Focused Breach (Su): A warrior as aggressive as a soulknife is quick to pounce on even the slightest opening. A soulknife at 11th level may spend 2 focus points as a free action to ignore a single target's spell resistance and damage reduction for 1 round, reducing the SR or DR to 0 against any attacks or effects generated by the soulknife.

Ablation (Ex): The soulknife faces death squarely, and stares it down, leaving even the mightiest of attacks to crash against it as harmlessly as ocean spray. If the soulknife takes damage that would reduce its hit points to 0 or fewer, it may spend 4 focus points as an immediate action to ignore the damage. This ability can only be used once a day.

Improved Focused Defense (Ex): A sixteenth level soulknife can maintain its defenses without even thinking about them - all the better to focus on destroying its foes. The soulknife gains the benefits of Focused Defense against all enemies, with no need to spend focus points.

This being the third of these classes, I'm starting to feel a bit disappointed in having so many abilities stay the same, but they do still fit. I guess it makes fair enough sense since these are in many ways more collections of alternate Factotum class features than strictly new classes...

Perfect Weapon (Ex): At 19th level, the soulknife can tap into the deepest recesses of its psychic power, strengthening itself when faced with its mightiest foes. At the start of each day, the soulknife may choose three psionic powers that it is capable of manifesting upon itself and that have a duration of longer than one round. Each power must be eighth level or lower. By spending 4 focus points as a free action, the soulknife gains the effects of one chosen power for 1 minute or its normal duration, whichever is less. Like the powers manifested through psychic dilettante, these powers count as fully augmented. The soulknife does not have a limit to how many times it may use these powers each day.

Okay, similar to the normal Cunning Brilliance, but different. Technically, this isn't really anything the soulknife couldn't already do (well, one PL higher). It's like snagging three more powers, they have to be buffs, have one minute durations, you always automatically Id Surge to use them (but have to pay the cost for it), and the daily uses are gone. Grab a few Fonts of Inspiration Focus, and you could easily drop your three favorite psionic buffs on yourself, fully augmented, every encounter (something you already could do with Id Surge, but no more than once a day). Also, it can probably be argued that powers up to eighth level can very easily be stronger than exceptional abilities, in which case this would be a flat buff, if the "I can already technically do that" factor doesn't mitigate it. I'm definitely not certain on balance here, but I think taken as a whole it should work for a nigh-capstone. Redundant or not, free action buffs are good!

JKTrickster
2011-06-25, 10:58 PM
I like it! Although shouldn't the Soulknife be more Cha-oriented? I always thought the fluff of the Soulknife was because they literally manifested the weapon from how confident/cocky/flashy they were, not because they had a sharp mind (although they do literally have that).

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 11:03 PM
I like it! Although shouldn't the Soulknife be more Cha-oriented? I always thought the fluff of the Soulknife was because they literally manifested the weapon from how confident/cocky/flashy they were, not because they had a sharp mind (although they do literally have that).

Good one!

In answer to your question though, I wasn't sure myself, really. I went with Int largely because it has the most psionic feel to me (::shrug::), and it gives them a bit more skill emphasis. Still, could easily be changed.

NineThePuma
2011-06-25, 11:04 PM
I used an Inspiration type ability in my Armored Reaver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11197542), but your variants have made me start thinking, and when I start thinking, I usually don't stop.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 11:14 PM
I used an Inspiration type ability in my Armored Reaver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11197542), but your variants have made me start thinking, and when I start thinking, I usually don't stop.

Having done three of these now, I know the feeling. I'm getting an OCD desire to do a ranger one now, just because that would complete the circle of arcane/divine/martial/psionic/natural. That being said, I'm not sure the ranger fits the factotum mold as well as the other ones did. I don't know that it would be as good a result.

NineThePuma
2011-06-25, 11:16 PM
Go for the Scout instead. Scouts need some love.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-25, 11:34 PM
Hmm...the thing with scout is that it doesn't really have any magic to it. Both it and ranger are Tier 4...so far these have been 5, I'm not sure the T4s really need this sort of thing, really.

You know what would fit (as another martial adept based one, though), and desperately needs some help, is samurai. Maybe I'll play around with that. I'm having fun with these things.

JKTrickster
2011-06-26, 12:32 AM
Good one!

In answer to your question though, I wasn't sure myself, really. I went with Int largely because it has the most psionic feel to me (::shrug::), and it gives them a bit more skill emphasis. Still, could easily be changed.

Naaaah they are definitely Charisma. Besides they certainly don't psionics from an "intellectual" standpoint. They do it from "I'M SO COOL, I CAN MAKE A WEAPON WITH MY MIND!?!?!?!" standpoint. And really, that's all they care about.

So definitely Charisma :smallamused:

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-26, 01:15 AM
Naaaah they are definitely Charisma. Besides they certainly don't psionics from an "intellectual" standpoint. They do it from "I'M SO COOL, I CAN MAKE A WEAPON WITH MY MIND!?!?!?!" standpoint. And really, that's all they care about.

So definitely Charisma :smallamused:

LOL, fair enough. Will change.

And, eh, one more for the road I guess. Or something like that:

Samurai
HD: d10
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (History, Nobility and Royalty), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

The Samurai

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Honor, Honorable Combatant, Bushido Blessing, Daisho

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Martial Dilettante (1 Maneuver, 1st)

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Awakened Ki, Honorable Defense

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Martial Dilettante (2 Maneuvers), Honorable Strike

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Martial Dilettante (2nd), Staredown

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|-

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Martial Dilettante (3 Maneuvers)

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Martial Dilettante (3rd), Honorable Surge

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Martial Dilettante (4 Maneuvers)

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Martial Dilettante (4th), Staredown (Frightened)

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Honorable Guard

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Martial Dilettante (5 Maneuvers)

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|Martial Dilettante (5th), Honor Unfailing

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Martial Dilettante (6 Maneuvers)

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Martial Dilettante (6th), Staredown (Panicked)

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Improved Honorable Defense

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Martial Dilettante (7 Maneuvers)

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Martial Dilettante (7th),

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Ancestral Guidance

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Martial Dilettante (8 Maneuvers)[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A samurai is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Most warrior-like chassis yet. Also, samurai skills really needed help. You know this already.

Honor: The samurai draws strength from its code. Whether the classical code of bushido, a more pragmatic warrior's code, paladin-like vows, or even just strong and sincere personal beliefs, the samurai adheres to moral standards and from them draws strength. This spiritual strength is represented by honor points. At the start of each encounter, the samurai gains honor points as indicated on the table below. The samurai spends honor points to power many of its abilities.

For maximum customization, this class does not specify a code that the samurai must follow. However, players are encouraged to work with their DMs to determine a suitable code for their character. At DM discretion, performing acts that exemplify the samurai's code refresh one honor point. If this option is used, however, performing acts that go against the samurai's code deduct one honor point from the samurai's current total.

{table=head]Level|honor points

1|
2|

2-4|
3|

5-7|
4|

8-9|
5|

10-12|
6|

13-14|
7|

15-7|
8|

18-19|
9|

20|
10|[/table]

My personal preference is to keep the fluff and mechanics as distinct as possible, so good ol' bushido gets the broad strokes for this class.

Honorable Combatant (Ex): The samurai faces its foes openly and without fear, challenging them with blows made mightier by dedication to its code. When faced with hostile magic, it stands strong, defying even mighty spells. Before making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, the samurai may spend 1 honor point. The samurai gains a competence bonus on the roll equal to the samurai's Charisma modifier. Using this ability does not require an action, and a samurai can use it as often as the samurai wishes during the samurai's or other's turns - provided the samurai has honor points to spend. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

The samurai is definitely on the warrior end, but with a solid warrior's chassis and good proficiencies, I'm thinking this class can focus more on physical attributes, using its Cha as a secondary stat to strengthen it, rather than relying on it.

Bushido Blessing (Ex): The samurai acts always in accord with its code - its words ring true, and it denies any tricks of guile, stealth, or magic that would trick, deceive, or coerce it into breaking its code. Whenever the samurai makes a skill check using a Wisdom or Charisma based skill, or a saving throw against a mind-affecting spell, it may spend an honor point to add its class level to the check or save as a morale bonus. This may be done multiple times with the same skill or save, and does not require the samurai to have the skill trained, or for it to be a class skill. Note that the save bonus can stack with that provided by Honorable Combatant, if the samurai wishes to spend two IP against the same spell.

Playing around with this one for a change. It might cover somewhat more skills than the other variants in the general course, but is rather more restricted. And yes, when you try to force a samurai to do something against its code, you can expect to fail miserably.

Daisho: All samurai have a signature weapon, often passed down generation to generation. Samurai receive Exotic Weapon Proficiency as a bonus feat.

Probably the weakest of the first-level bonus feats, but it fits. Helps make up some for the superior chassis, too.

Martial Dilettante (Ex): At 2nd level, the samurai learns how to perform advanced martial maneuvers. For the purposes of this ability, the samurai is considered to know all martial maneuvers from the Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon, and White Raven disciplines (it does not actually know these maneuvers for the purposes of a normal maneuver progression).

At the start of each day, the samurai may choose a number of maneuvers from the above disciplines to ready. It can choose one maneuver at 2nd level, and the samurai gains additional readied maneuvers as shown on the main progression table. The maximum level of maneuver it can use, according to its class level, is also shown on the table. It can select any maneuver from its available disciplines up to that level. Its initiator level for maneuvers gained from this class equals its level in this character class. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against its maneuvers is 10 + the maneuver's level + its Cha modifier, although it may use Str instead if the maneuver specifies it. Like other martial adepts, the samurai can exchange its readied maneuvers with five minutes of drilling. This also refreshes its maneuvers, if they weren't already.

The samurai must ready stances before it can enter them, unlike other martial adepts. It is still limited to entering one stance at a time.

The samurai must spend a honor point to initiate a maneuver or to change a stance. It may use each maneuver once per encounter. It may also recover one maneuver as a swift action by spending an honor point. It may not do so in any round that it uses a maneuver.

The samurai cannot use the Adaptive Style feat in conjunction with maneuvers gained from this ability.

The samurai isn't doing the Opportunistic Recovery thing, so even with a (halfway decent) recovery mechanic, it's way less adaptable than the swashbuckler. Better discipline access though, and still more adaptable than a typical martial adept, which I think is just going to be a side effect of the factotum baseline.

Awakened Ki (Ex): Although samurai do not train their Ki to the same degree as a monk might, it is still aware of the basics of using it. At 3rd level, the samurai adds its Charisma bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength and Dexterity, as well as on all checks (including opposed attack rolls) for combat maneuvers.

I was debating on switching this around, but I seem to recall hearing that jujutsu was a historically common samurai skill, I like the notion of samurai having some monk-like acrobatic skills, and you know, initiative bonus = iaijutsu. Between this, presumably good physical scores, a full BAB, and Setting Sun access, samurai are actually quite likely to be the go-to masters of combat maneuvers.

Honorable Defense (Ex): A samurai can withstand even mighty blows. Starting at third level, the samurai can spend an honor point to gain DR/- equal to its Charisma modifier + (its level or armor bonus, whichever is lower) for one round.

With heavy armor, an AC bonus isn't strictly necessary. This will give some incentive for armor, and the dual sources should help with the notion that these guys can use Cha as a secondary stat.

Honorable Strike (Ex): Drawing upon its honorable spirit, the samurai initiates a complex maneuver without sacrificing its form in the slightest. At fourth level, whenever the samurai uses a martial strike maneuver that uses a standard action and allows a single attack, it may spend one additional honor point as a swift action when doing so. If it does, the strike is not considered expended. Additionally, the samurai may do this if its weapon is sheathed and instantly draw the weapon as part of the attack.

Iaijutsu in a bow. This isn't as powerful as some of the others in that it doesn't actually increase the samurai's damage in and of itself, but it lets you spam strikes pretty well, which is nice.

Staredown (Ex): The samurai needs not boast of its deeds; a single look reveals its strength, its honor, and its implacable determination. Starting at fifth level, as a move action, the samurai can spend an honor point to force all opponents within 30' to make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha modifier) or become Shaken for one round per samurai level. This ability can only affect a given target once per encounter, whether or not its save succeeds. The samurai can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + its Charisma modifier.

At 10th level, those who fail their saves become Frightened instead. At 15th level they become Panicked.

Yeah, I know, I broke my "keep the pointless MAD uses" rule. This class already gets a bit more MAD, and Cha's really the only one that makes sense. In any event, Staredown was pretty much the only CW samurai ability that wasn't a complete waste, so it needs to be here in some form or another, I think (ideally, of course, a much improved form).

Honorable Surge (Ex): When its life, its charges, it lord, or its ideals are on the line, the samurai is an implacable foe, attacking with tremendous fury. Starting at eighth level, the samurai may, by spending 3 honor points, take an extra standard action during its turn.

So really, it you want to go ahead and burn 7 honor points a round, you can be spamming the same strike twice per round. It's actually not a bad nova for a melee class, but it'll wear you out fast, especially without some Font feats.

Honorable Guard (Su): A samurai is often called upon to protect its friends, its people, or its lord. Starting at eleventh level, whenever an enemy the samurai threatens attacks one of its allies (but not the samurai itself), the samurai may spend 2 honor points to make an immediate Honorable Strike against that opponent. If it has no appropriate strikes prepared, it may instead make a normal attack. This does not cost attacks of opportunity, but can benefit from any abilities the samurai has that improves them. The samurai cannot make attacks of opportunity in response to an attack that triggers this ability, even if it has a capability that would allow it to do so. This attack is resolved before the opponent's attack.

Those keeping score at home might realize that this is where the Cunning Breach clone should be. Well...although I think a DR beater would fit a samurai fine, they can already mountain hammer if they want and frankly the repetitive Cunning Breach variants were getting boring. So instead, a pretty solid guardian ability. Easily a more powerful and versatile effect than Cunning Breach, but Cunning Breach was something of a weaker one anyway, especially without the SR penetration.

Honor Unfailing (Ex): A samurai does not go down until it has fulfilled its duty. Starting at thirteenth level, if the samurai sustains any effect that would reduce it below 0 hit points, render it helpless, render it unable to make physical attacks, cause it to lose control of its own actions, or cause it to be unable to take standard actions, the samurai may spend 3 honor points as an immediate action to ignore the effect entirely. There is no limit to the number of times per day the samurai can use this ability.

An unashamedly massive buff to an already great ability, with reduced cost, relaxed limitations, and more utility. The Cunning Dodge template screams samurai, and I wanted the samurai version to be strictly better. At 3 honor points per use, it's still a stiff cost, and the immediate action still means it only works once a round, but it gives the samurai the whole undying tank aspect that, I think, they deserve.

Improved Honorable Defense (Ex): A high-level samurai can wade into even the fiercest fray without fear, protected by both its physical armor and its honorable spirit. The samurai gains the benefits of Honorable Defense constantly, with no cost in honor points.

Yeah, this class is becoming quite the tank. I tend to figure that the DR is too low across the board, but even so this may be a bit high. For sixteenth level, though, it might work. I hope.

Ancestral Guidance (Ex) A nineteenth level samurai has earned the respect and aid of its greatest ancestors, sharing some of their skills. At the start of each day, the samurai may choose a single extraordinary class feature. This ability must be available to a standard character at 15th level or lower, and must appear on the advancement table or in the text description for that class. The samurai may use this ability for the entire day, but it deducts 4 from its pool of honor points gained at each encounter. The samurai uses the ability as if it was the level in the relevant class equal to its level in the samurai class.

I do try to keep these abilities somewhat close along a similar theme to the factotum, but after four of these classes, direct copies really are somewhat disappointing. This one is trading the versatility of multiple abilities for the consistency of having it all day, which I believe is reasonable. It's probably a bit higher on the raw power side than the default, but not by so much that the reduced versatility can't balance it.

Vallum
2011-06-26, 04:13 PM
Woah, the Samurai looks pretty cool! Though I imagine allot more odachi's then katana wielders with this class... Still though, It give the variety that samurai should have, rather then just the iconic katana wielders.
any chance for the Samurai having Iaijutsu as a class skill?

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-27, 12:15 AM
To be honest, I'm more in the "leave iaijutsu focus in 3.0" camp. It just seems like an odd fit for a skill to me (and I don't have my OA book any more anyway, and I don't really remember the rules well enough to properly analyze its balance implications). That being said, it would be a perfectly viable addition were the class to be used in a group that employs the skill, but in the general sense, I think I'll leave it by the wayside.