PDA

View Full Version : The Wastrilith Chain

Darklord Xavez
2011-06-25, 04:28 PM
In my copy of the Fiend Folio (I believe it is 3.0, not 3.5), there is a demon called the Wastrilith. I have a question about it.

It says, in one of its abilities, that it can use Summon Monster IX three times per day as a 17th-level wizard. In addition, it says that a Wastrilith can be summoned with a Summon Monster IX spell.

Two things:

Does this mean that instead of an EL of 17, it should have an EL of 21? For those who don't know, doubling the number of creatures adds 2 to the EL. Four CR 17s is and EL 21.
Should you really be able to summon a CR 17 without being immobilized yourself (as in Summon Elemental Monolith)?

It just seems wrong to me.
-X

Shadowknight12
2011-06-25, 04:34 PM
1) The CR is individual of the monster. If you intend to use the summoning ability to summon more critters, then sure, you ought to up the CR of the entire encounter accordingly. It's not mandatory that you use that (Sp) ability in a fight. The CR is fine.

2) *shrug* Up to you. I see nothing wrong with it.

Lord Ruby34
2011-06-25, 04:38 PM
I belive it says somewhere in the DM's guide that summoning creatures does not increase the CR of an encounter. It's just a spell, if the creature say used Meter Swarm instead the CR wouldn't go up.

Anyway, it's "balanced" with summoning in mind already.

Darklord Xavez
2011-06-25, 04:43 PM
1) The CR is individual of the monster. If you intend to use the summoning ability to summon more critters, then sure, you ought to up the CR of the entire encounter accordingly. It's not mandatory that you use that (Sp) ability in a fight. The CR is fine.

2) *shrug* Up to you. I see nothing wrong with it.

I think that summoning one would cause the DM to "lose" your character sheet.
-X

Urpriest
2011-06-25, 04:45 PM
Fiendish Codex I lists the Wastrilith as having CR 11 post 3.5 update.

Darklord Xavez
2011-06-25, 04:50 PM
Fiendish Codex I lists the Wastrilith as having CR 11 post 3.5 update.

Maybe it was an error. 3.0 is a little weird.
-X

Shadowknight12
2011-06-25, 04:52 PM
I think that summoning one would cause the DM to "lose" your character sheet.
-X

Summoned monsters cannot use summoning abilities or (Sp) abilities that would cost XP if they were a spell. That's why you have to use a Gate (that Calls and not Summons) to get a Solar's ability to use Wish.

Darklord Xavez
2011-06-25, 05:03 PM
Summoned monsters cannot use summoning abilities or (Sp) abilities that would cost XP if they were a spell. That's why you have to use a Gate (that Calls and not Summons) to get a Solar's ability to use Wish.

Still, it's a CR 17 that you don't have to concentrate to control.
-X

Shadowknight12
2011-06-25, 05:06 PM
Still, it's a CR 17 that you don't have to concentrate to control.
-X

CR 11. So are most monsters on the Summon Monster IX list.

Darklord Xavez
2011-06-25, 05:32 PM
CR 11. So are most monsters on the Summon Monster IX list.

My Fiend Folio says 17. It might be an error.
-X

Urpriest
2011-06-25, 05:33 PM
My Fiend Folio says 17. It might be an error.
-X

Yes. The error is not using the updated version, which is CR 11.