PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Spell Resistance

bloodtide
2011-06-25, 06:19 PM
Spell Resistance, by the book, is quite plain and boring. If you cast a spell on a creature with spell resistance the spell simply does not work. I however like magic to be more strange, wild and unknowable. The idea is simple, if you cast a spell at a creature with spell resistance, then when the two types of magic(the spell and the creature) interact, anything could happen. This makes spell resistance much more interesting.

On a successful spell resistance roll:
Reflection-The spell is reflected directly back at the caster. Roll a 1d6 from the percentage power of the reflected spell(6=60%). This applies to all numerical effects of the spell.
Deflection-The spell ricochet off the creature in a random direction at a percentage of the effect. Roll a 1d10 to determine where the direction the spell spell strikes, as per the grenade rules, with '9' straight up and '10' straight down. A deflected spell effect travels a maximum of 50 feet before dissipating.
Empowerment-The spell gives a magical power boost to the creature. The effect can power a magic special ability for a single use, or grant the use of a metamagic feat on a ability, power or spell(Every full three spell levels of the original spell equal one 'slot', so a 9th level spell would give the creature three slots.)
Buff-The spell is transformed into some from of beneficial magic for the creature. Magic missiles might from into a shield spell. Shocking Grasp might become protection from electricity.
Living Spell-The spell becomes a Living spell and does not fade away.
Entrapment-The creature can catch and hold the spell, and then direct it at another target. Roll a 1d6 from the percentage power of the spell(6=60%).
Environmental-The spell effects the area around the creature. A scorching ray might burn down some trees or melt nearby stone or from a ring of fire.
Summoning-Mostly for outsiders, summons some random natives from their homeplane as per a summon monster spell. They are uncontrolled. 10% of the time the creatures will be called and now permanently on the plane.
Link-The spell forms a temporary spell link between the caster and the creature allowing for spells to effect them in strange ways. This is most common for divination, and enchantment/charms and illusions. Both persons in a link enjoy a +2 bonus to any spell attack rolls and a -2 to will saves.
Affliction-mostly for outsiders, this transfers a bit of the 'outside' to the caster. Often this effect is similar to a hostile Alter Self type spell. There is a 10% that the change is permanent.
Counter-The spell triggers a free counter move from the effected creature, such as a spell like ability use. The effect is randomly chosen from the creatures combat abilities and is free of charge to the creature. At will abilities are more likely to be triggered then less use ones by at least 2 to 1.

Effects last for 1 round per level of the original spell. Creatures can take a standard action to concentrate and remove an effect from themselves if they so wish.

I like to keep the effects vague and don't feel a huge need to have everything stated out. The Buff effect, for example: it's obvious to me that some magic missiles would get transformed into a shield spell, so I don't see the need for rules here. But I guess there are DM's that would transform ray of frost into wish, right?

Glimbur
2011-06-25, 11:46 PM
You have eleven effects listed. Most of us do not carry d11's. I would take out the Affliction result, as it leaves too much for the DM to decide every time it comes up and the chance of being permanently changed by a random die roll is unpleasant.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-27, 05:19 PM
I like this idea and have used the 'wild magic chart' for years for strange effects of spell resistance.

DracoDei
2011-06-27, 06:43 PM
You need a lot more details on this.
Reflection needs to have some of the boiler-plate from Spell Turning copied over so that, for instance, we know how a 60% power Slay Living spell IS.
Deflection needs the above, plus a specification of what the percentage is in the first place PLUS a specification to use the grenade-like missile rules for determining the direction, rather than just saying to roll a d8 PLUS a specification for distance. It also makes some squares much safer to stand in than others. Perhaps say that if no new target is on the line in the direction chosen it picks the new target closest to that line.

Gamer Girl
2011-07-06, 01:23 PM
A lot of the items on the list are a bit vague. Like Buff, for example, who do you know what to turn the attack spell into? And how much can a spell effect the environment? What if the spell is like charm person, can you charm the environment? I kinda like the affliction idea, but how do you balance it?