PDA

View Full Version : One page 3.5 character sheets?

Ozreth
2011-06-25, 10:10 PM
Has anybody seen a consolidated 3.5 character sheet? I know two pages isn't bad but one would be nice : )

myancey
2011-06-25, 10:12 PM
Not on 8.5" by 11" paper. That'd require far too much consolidation for 3.5 d&d.

Zaq
2011-06-25, 10:16 PM
In a low-level game, I can generally write down what my character needs on a single sheet of notebook paper . . . but that's doing things like cutting out all the skills I don't have, using a lot of shorthand for things like attack routines or certain items, and putting compartmentalized tricks (powers, soulmelds, whatever) on index cards instead of on the sheet itself.

As far as a general case goes, you're unlikely to get one that fits on a page, works for most/all classes, AND is anything approaching readable or elegant. If you can, of course, good for you, but I find it unlikely.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-26, 01:13 PM
Maybe for a fighter or rogue or something. Spellcasters, not a chance.

herrhauptmann
2011-06-26, 04:15 PM
Maybe for a fighter or rogue or something. Spellcasters, not a chance.

It'll work if you do just a listing of spells known. You'd have to keep flipping open books each time you cast, or have your spells completely memorized :smalleek:.
Also, I noticed fitting everything on 8.5x11 printer paper is easier than with looseleaf of the same size. The lines can help keep things organized. But if you can already keep things organized, the lines just get in the way.

It gets worse as you level though, because you start getting all those items (magic and otherwise). Just listing them takes up space, and some you really need to have the description right there, which takes up a lot of space.
I'd say it's impossible for a melee type by level 10 or so. Casters, probably level 7.

Flickerdart
2011-06-26, 04:20 PM
Should be fairly simple, actually: a smaller font size and smaller fields for writing (get the thinnest fineliner you can) could reduce the size of the standard character sheet considerably. One page would still likely be impossible without cutting some stuff, but do you really need listings for four different weapons? Magic and psionics? Forgery?

Ernir
2011-06-26, 05:00 PM
Eh, I usually use a single, hand-written paper for most NPCs, unless they are really high level.

The "trick" I use is to just not list the derived characteristics. I don't list my attack bonus, because my attack bonus is a function of my BAB (which I list), my strength modifier (which I don't list, because that, in turn, is a function of my base strength score, which I do list), my +x greatsword of awesome (which I list), and whatever buffs the spellcaster may have thrown up that round (which I don't list, because they'll be gone soon anyway). And so on.

I do usually use a separate sheet for the spells of prepared casters, though. Those are a pain in the butt. :smallsigh:

Taelas
2011-06-26, 06:11 PM
It's doable, if you write a statistics block, for instance. That is about as condensed as it gets.

big teej
2011-06-26, 08:48 PM
Has anybody seen a consolidated 3.5 character sheet? I know two pages isn't bad but one would be nice : )

not to toot my own horn.

but of all dnd charactersheets, I must say I find mine the most direct.

then again, I designed it, so I'm more than a little biased.

formatting might be kinda screwed due to this being a forum.

Character name: Player Name
Class and level: Race:
Alignment: Deity:
Concept:
Size: Age: Gender: Height: Weight: lbs
Eyes: Hair:, Skin:
Theme song:

Hit points:
AC: 10 + dex + armor + shield + misc
BAB:
Strength:
Dexterity:
Constitution:
Intelligence:
Wisdom:
Charisma:

Saving throws
Will: class + wisdom bonus
Fortitude: + class + constitution bonus
Reflex: + class + dexterity bonus

Speed:
Vision
Listen
Climb

Racial features

Class features

Traits/flaws

Arcane Casting
Spell like abilities:
Spells per day x/x
Spells prepared
Spells known

Soulmelding
Essentia Pool:
Essentia Capacity:
Chakra Binds
Soulmelds
-soulmeld, effect, invested essentia, body slot-
Psionics
Power Points: x/x
Powers known

Feats taken

Skills

Weapons in use

Equipment/gear:

Items and possessions

Languages:

XP:

Money:

Heroic achievements:

To do list

Flame of Anor
2011-06-26, 11:23 PM
It'll work if you do just a listing of spells known.

Not for a wizard, it won't. :smallwink:

herrhauptmann
2011-06-27, 12:28 AM
Not for a wizard, it won't. :smallwink:

Say it with me now!
C! O! L! U! M! N! S!
What's that spell? COLUMNS! :smalltongue:
Of course if your wizard is finding a dozen new spells per level, in addition to his free level-up spells, the columns won't help you too much, no matter how tiny you write. But yeah, can fit quite a few spells on the bottom 3 or 4 inches of your character sheet, if you're only doing the names. Which like I said, sucks, because you then need to either have them all memorized, or keep ALL the books handy so you can flip back and forth each turn. And did I mention a level where the idea fails for wizards.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-27, 12:32 AM
And did I mention a level where the idea fails for wizards.

Ah, yes, I missed that. For less than level 7, it would probably work. (With C! O! L! U! M! N! S!, of course.)

Taelas
2011-06-27, 04:48 AM
It isn't that difficult to do. For a spontaneous caster, you write Spells Known. For a prepared caster, you write Spells Memorized. (For classes with spellbooks, you keep a separate sheet for Spells Known.)

Like I said, if you write it in a statistics block, you can easily fit all the information you need onto one sheet. (You can probably fit it onto an index card.)

For example:

Fighter 20
N male Medium human
Init +5; Senses Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages Common
-----------------------------------------
AC 31, touch 11, flat-footed 23
hp 144 (20 HD)
Fort +14, Ref +7, Will +6
-----------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (8 squares)
Melee +5 vorpal longsword +31/+26/+21/+16 (1d8+10/19–20 and sever head) or
Ranged +5 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +26/+21/+16/+11 (1d8+10/x3)
Base Atk +20; Grp +20
Atk Options Cleave, Power Attack
------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 20, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 9
Feats Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (longsword), etc., etc.
Skills blah, blah, blah
Possessions +5 vorpal longsword, +5 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus), +5 full plate, +5 heavy steel shield

HunterOfJello
2011-06-27, 04:53 AM
http://charactersheets.minotaur.cc/

download the Character Sheet 3.5.pdf file

inside at the bottom of all the different sheets is an NPC character sheet that is an extremely basic character sheet all on 1 page

~

If you're going to play a PC, i strongly suggest using at least 2 pages from whichever type of character sheet you'd like to use. Putting everything on 1 page is pretty difficult. For an npc however, it isn't too bad.

squeekenator
2011-06-27, 05:31 AM
I use very concise character sheets in Notepad, just using a statblock-esque system. It contains all the necessary details of the full character sheet, just not in quite as much detail. For instance, here's the character I'm playing in my current IRL game:

Gilthar the Wood Elf CG
Ranger 4 (Elf Ranger sub level 1) Scout 3
HP: 40 AC: 19/14/19 Saves: +8/+12/+4 Init: +5 Speed: 40ft
Str 17 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 10
Attack: +1 adjustable serren composite longbow +11/+6 ranged (1d8+4/x3)
Attack: Masterwork longsword +10/+5 melee (1d8+4/19-20)
Armour: +1 chain shirt
Special Attacks: Elf favoured enemy: undead +6, elf favoured enemy: humanoid (human) +2, skirmish +2d6/+2 AC
Special Qualities: Immune to magic sleep, +2 on saves vs enchantments, low-light vision, auto-searching, wild empathy, combat style: archery, trapfinding, uncanny dodge, battle fortitude +1, fast movement, trackless step, animal companion
Feats: Track, point blank shot, rapid shot, travel devotion, endurance, swift hunter
Skills: Hide 10 ranks (+14), listen 10 ranks (+13), move silently 10 ranks (+14), ride 10 ranks (+14), search 10 ranks (+12), spot 10 ranks (+13), survival 7 ranks (+8), tumble 5 ranks (+9)
Items: Cloak of resistance +1, quall's feather token: tree, quiver of ehlona, weeping flask, liquid sunlight, 99 arrows, 98 blunt arrows, 99 serpentstongue arrows, 20 cold iron arrows, 20 blunt cold iron arrows, 20 serpentstongue cold iron arrows, 30 silver arrows, 20 blunt silver arrows, 19 serpentstongue silver arrows, 10 days' foodstuffs, 1120gp
Languages: Common, elven

Spells: 1 - Hunter's mercy

Fits easily in a small space and contains all the relevant information, though spellcasters with a longer spell list can be difficult.

Feytalist
2011-06-27, 05:48 AM
A stat block is relatively concise. You might need to do some searching at times, and some quick maths for any temporary modifiers in the heat of battle, but once you get used to that it's relatively easy.

I tend to use a note pad for temporary modifiers, hits points and so on. Spells and such on index cards, like Zaq said, works wonders.

ericgrau
2011-06-27, 11:45 AM
It can be done with a bit of work. Most character sheets have lots of gaps and are overloaded with math. If you remove all the math and organize things into tables so that there are less gaps you could fit everything pretty easy. Only write down the skills you can use, and likewise leave only enough space for the weapons and special abilities you use (or might get in the near future) and you can probably fit your equipment too.

This also means you'll need another piece of scratch paper to do all your math. But you won't need that paper during gaming sessions.

If you need more room than that then I think an 8 point font is as small as you can go and still be legible. You can more than double your writing space that way. A 10 point font will still give you 44% more writing space while also being comfortably large. Both of these are compared to 12 point.

Swooper
2011-06-27, 12:04 PM
I will never get why people prefer this. I use a custom made 8 page character sheet, and I still can't seem to fit everything (it doesn't include spells, manoeuvres or such, for example). :smallsigh:

ericgrau
2011-06-27, 12:05 PM
'Cuz leafing through 8 pages in the middle of a session is slow and annoying. I like getting in depth when making characters too, just not when fighting with them.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-27, 07:28 PM
I will never get why people prefer this. I use a custom made 8 page character sheet, and I still can't seem to fit everything (it doesn't include spells, manoeuvres or such, for example). :smallsigh:

I agree that a one-page doesn't make sense. I try to keep it manageable, though, for the reasons ericgrau put forward--generally one page for levels, HP, money, stats, AC, initiative, saves, and weapon attacks; one page for skills, feats, class features, racial abilities, languages, and equipment; and none or more pages of spells.

NecroRick
2011-06-27, 09:29 PM
I've played in groups where people like to stop play and argue about what the active player's powers do and do not allow them to do, and to audit the to hit rolls of the players around them.

Hence I tend to write out very very long and detailed character sheets. One page for all my feats for instance, where I cut and paste in the 'crunch' of the feat, what sort of action it takes etc. Two pages if higher level (or any levels of Monk, Monks get an absolute ****-ton of free feats). I also tend to cite what book and what page they are from in order to have easy lookup.

Another page for skills.

A page for stat blocks.

A page for whatever the heck it is that I'm working towards, and/or a page for magic items I would like to have the next time I'm in spellmart (shop smart, shop spellmart).

If I have a character with a bunch of N times per day powers, I'll have a disposable sheet for ticking those off as I use them (as well as some health meters for tracking hit points)

Ironically, the thing I am worst at tracking is xp and treasure. I'm pretty sure either I keep missing some, or some of the other players are 'artificially inflating' theirs through 'creative' accounting. I really need to have some kind of 'account balance' sheet going, where I track xp in, and the source of it, as well as gold in/out.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-27, 09:31 PM
or some of the other players are 'artificially inflating' theirs through 'creative' accounting.

Man, I hate it when that happens. It's like: either I can stay quiet and fall behind, or I can look like a jerk and say "Hey, guys, are you cheating on your XP?"

ericgrau
2011-06-27, 10:51 PM
Cheating in a friendly group game like D&D is way beyond being a jerk though. I'm shocked anyone above age 12 would do that (sorry if you're young lol). You shouldn't have to stop the game for hours just to check people's stats either.

If you really have to question what players do then you give the DM your math sheet and make sure everyone likewise gives everything about their character to him. So he can check off everything between sessions, not during.